Start by marking “Silver Boxes: The Gift of Encouragement” as Want to Read:
Silver Boxes: The Gift of Encouragement

Silver Boxes: The Gift of Encouragement

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  203 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Humorous anecdotes and touching insights inspire readers to reach out with encouragement to people who are hurting and need help. Learn how to make others feel special, mend broken dreams and share the affirming message of the gospel through encouragement.
Published May 13th 1996 by Thomas Nelson (first published July 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Boxes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Boxes

Jo-Anne Puggioni
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was first introduced to my household when I was a teenager. My father was in Amway at the time, and this was on the recommended reading list.

Although this is written by a Christian author and my father wasn't a Christian, he loved this book. He was a natural encourager. When my father died suddenly in a road accident at age 49, we decided to surround him with silver boxes - symbols of the gift of encouragement.

It was a few years later when I entered into a relationship with God throug
Brande
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent reminder that we may never understand the profound impact words and actions have upon individuals. This author provides the opportunity to examine, if the words we utter and the deeds we preform in our daily transactions are "silver boxes" of encouragement to make those around us feel unique, special and empowered!
Carol
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember too much about this book except the image of the silver boxes and how good it feels to receive (and give) the gift of encouragement. Inside the front cover, I pasted a copy of the poem, "Don't Quit".

"When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low, and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit-
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Success is failure turned i
Jason Arant
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A super-formative book for me personally.
Sue
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, favorites
Inspirational. The way we should live our lives by encouraging others.
Debra
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An absolutley wonderful book on the gift of encouraging words and how our words (both negative & positive) effect others for the better or the worse. A must read!!!
Debra Langston
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this... Read it many times.
Melissa
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book I will always remember that my words should be like a gift with a bow on top. I read it a long time ago. I need to read again soon because I think I forgot the lesson.
Cathy
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
want to help others and change the world, read this!
Gwendolyn Coleman
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An all time favorite ...
Jean Elledge
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Changed my life when I read it in my mid twenties.
Kristen
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was given to me by my best friend at the time. I really loved the way it explained giving and recieving gifts of words in little silver boxes.
Lynda
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a wonderful book if you're interested in being reminded to always speak kindly and the effects of both positive and negative communication on you, your family and your community.

It is a little bit redundant, however I enjoyed the stories of the people who have taken the message of Silver Boxes and employed it in their own lives.
Beez Beasley
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Vignettes of stories showing how "words" can build someone up or tear someone down...oftentimes when we aren't even aware. A book of encouragement. Be all you can be. Florence Littauer speaks before many Christian organizations; encouraging, challenging folks to be the best they can be; help in mending broken dreams.
Marie
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Florence Littauer communicates the importance of choosing our words wisely in order to be encouragers, givers of silver boxes, treasures that last.
Jorgina
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A book of inspiration. Focused on helping others develop the talents within and accepting the help of others even if only by accepting compliments graciously.
Kelli P.
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely book that reminds us that every word that comes out of our mouth is a gift and we should wrap it in silver boxes for the receiver. (say nice things to each other)
Sherri Williams
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. It was rather repetitive but the message is really wonderful.
Bev Dowdell
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To recognise those who are balcony people in my life was just as important as being reminded to succeed each day to be that person to others who pass through my day.
Gloria
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little book. It's full of positive ways to give and get affirmations from those around us. It's reminders of how we want to be.
Galileosong
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
I bought this book because a friend of mine said it had a huge impact on her life. I probably wouldn't have completed it if it weren't recommended.

Great concept, but painfully repetitive. There were only a few pages written about "silver boxes" by the author. The rest of the book (about 90%) was composed of the author's retelling of things that happened to other people.

As a mother, I often wonder what memories my child will have of what I say that will shape what she does. Sometimes the wrong w
Fayth Williams
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Words are powerful. They can heal or harm, build up a person or tear them down. Not a day goes by that I don't say or hear something and immediately think of this book and whether or not I'm giving out silver boxes or taking them away. This book has reminded me of many people in my life who have encouraged me and changed my life for the better. I've also recalled negative words that have hindered my growth and opinion of myself. I think the most difficult thing to understand is how not to let ne ...more
Molly Christensen
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a great book about the power of words, and the author has a wonderful spirit and is sharing a great message. Unfortunately, it's really just not that well-written. It's mainly a collection of random sharings. But I do love the message!
Abby Morales
great book about the power of words and encouragement.
Sara
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
A good feel book - but very repetitive. Was hoping it was going to make me more loving and encouraging but "you can't teach an old....." anyway, You get the point.
Debbie
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Our words impact so much on the lives of others!
Andd Becker
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Littauer might motivate you to buy silver-bowed silver boxes to fill with words of encouragement. Someone will love to receive your thoughtful gift.
Eva
Dec 14, 2008 is currently reading it
A great book on encouragement. Examples of giving the gift of love.
Kari
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, personal
I gained some new insights but also felt the book was a bit too promotional for her other books and seminars.
Sagar Shirodkar
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Good Book to surf through If you want some positive feeling and encouragement to serve for the betterment of others!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman
  • Mother Angelica's Answers, Not Promises
  • Beloved Disciple: The Life & Ministry of John, Leader Guide
  • Chemistry
  • The Unexpected Adventure: Taking Everyday Risks to Talk with People about Jesus
  • Destined for the Throne
  • Life Is Hard, Food Is Easy: The 5-Step Plan to Overcome Emotional Eating and Lose Weight on Any Diet
  • Hung by the Tongue