Start by marking “Face Off” as Want to Read:
Face Off

Face Off

After a rocky start, Savannah Wells finally has everything she wants in life: family, friends, a cat, and her ice hockey team. If she could only convince her mother to stop setting her up on increasingly awkward blind dates, life would be perfect.

Professional photographer Madison Scott isn’t going to settle for less than the happily ever after she reads about in romance
Published December 1st 2019 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Face Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face Off

Start your review of Face Off
Corporate Slave
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Let’s just say this book was not for me. While I appreciate the author’s writing style, the storyline was not believable from the start and I think this is the reason why I couldn’t connect to the MCs. I did really like the idea of the book and I thought it could’ve been a great one.
I just questioned so many things that happened starting with the fact that the first time the MCs meet is when one of them moves next door to the other and knocks on the door to ask to have a shower ! I personally
Joc
This is a lovely quick read with a fast pace, perfect for when your life is just too busy. Savannah, hockey player and vet finds her new neighbour very attractive. Turns out that Madison is the wedding photographer for one of Savannahs friends as well the photographer on contract for the ice hockey team. Savannah is very wary of relationships and Madison thinks she has finally escaped her ex.

With a fake relationship trope mixed in and a little bit of tug of war, this is quite engaging. I thought
Tere
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Savannah Wells is a veterinarian and semiprofessional hockey player. She was scared by her only relationship in college and since has been a player and on her own. Maddie Scott is the new next door neighbor and new photographer for the town’s women hockey team. They fake a relationship to get Savannah’s mother to quit setting her up with awful women and find love in the process.

I grabbed this book since it had the fake relationship trope. Okay, so the main’s first meeting was silly. Who goes to
Bethany
I was really looking forward to this read, being a huge sports fan and a fake relationship fan, but something about this book just didn't' work for me.

Although this isn't really flagged as a series, it's really set in the same universe as Trebelhorn's book On the Fly. I'm usually a stickler for reading books in order, but I didn't get the chance to read On the Fly, and it didn't matter one bit for my enjoyment of this story. Yes, there's cameos and references to characters from OTF, but this
Heinerway
This book was... well, nothing to write home about. The MCs were attracted from the very beginning and (almost) nothing happened in the story.
Colleen Corgel
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, f-f-romance
I say this as a fan of hockey: this was just okay. I loved the sports aspect of this, especially with pro women's hockey inching its way up in the USA, but the romance felt a little off for me. I think its because it was obvious that Savannah and Madison have the case of instant attraction, and simply used the guise of fake dating to for real date, but they were both too oblivious to realize it. Then there were a couple of conflicts that didn't seem to go anywhere, and only flared up when the ...more
Jude
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an okay read that could have been so much better. One of the best parts is the characters, both the MCs and the secondary ones, from Savannah’s two mothers to her best friend Kelly and Maddie’s family.

Savannah West is a semipro hockey player and a veterinarian. She’s « perpetually single » and is content with one-night-stands with women she meets clubbing with her teammate and best friend Kelly, an unrepentant flirt. Madison Scott is a photographer who just moved next door to Savannah
MJS
ARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a follow-on from On the Fly and features MC Savannah, who is a hockey player/veterinarian and friend of Court from On the Fly. The other MC is Madison, a photographer who has just moved in next door to Savannah. There’s instant attraction between them but Savannah had her heart broken in college and has refused to get involved with anyone since and Madison just got out of a toxic relationship.

The two agree to ‘fake date’ to
CLo
You could say this is the second book in the hockey series, the first one being On the Fly. On the Fly was pretty good and I really wasn't sure what to expect with this one. In the first one we were introduced to Savannah and Kelly and this book is about Savannah. She gets a new next door neighbor, Maddie, who is gorgeous. As the synopsis says they decide to "date" each other to get Savannah's mom Lisa off her back.

Overall, I liked the book for what it gave me. I didn't like the book for what it
Karen
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-published, arc
Fake relationship sometimes tend to be popular when it comes to some lesbian romances and I do secretly enjoy reading them. As I was reading this one, I knew it wasn't going to be one of my top favorites in the fake dating romances because the reasoning for the fake relationship wasn't that great. Despite that, I still liked the cheesiness of it. I did like both Savannah and Madison and there was some chemistry between upon them meeting. Again, this isn't the strongest fake relationship, but I ...more
Rosi
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is a spin off of this author's previous novel, On the Fly, and its theme is quite similar. In the previous one, the protagonist is a player of a semi-professional ice hockey team and in this one, the protagonist is also a player of that team, Savannah, along with a photographer, Madison, who arrives in the city to recover and restart herself after a hard sentimental breakup.

Savannah is reluctant to compromise since her first and only serious relationship ended very badly. Together
Cheryl S
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh my, what a disappointment. This reads like a teen novel not two mature women. The first half of the story was basically silly. Pretending like you're dating and in love....when you actually are dating and in love....What? Grow up Savanna and just say no to your mother and her blind dates.
Big surprise when they actually confessed their attraction. And to throw in a little conflict Savannah gets all upset about one normal statement Maddie says. And if that was not formula enough, in comes the
isa Simonet
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good read no less no more, I was really looking forward to this read, being a huge fake relationship fan, but it didn't work for me. The fake relationship is not really interesting, because they are attracted to each other before setting up this scheme. The less good book of this author. Too bad, because all her other books are great.
Elle
3.5 stars - I freaking love hockey. Maybe it's a Canadian thing, I don't know, but shit I get invested like you wouldn't believe. Reading the summary for 'Face Off' by P.J. Trebelhorn, I got really excited. It combined two of my favourite things: hockey and fake-dating trope.

I enjoyed this book. I really like Savannah as a character, and even though I had to suspend my disbelief when she first meets Madison, I think they had a lot of chemistry. I was a little bummed out that there weren't that
Aleana Harris
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC copy of this book from the Publisher via Netgalley and voluntarily leaving my review.

Savannah is a vet and hockey player which is really her passion she swore off relationships because of what happen in college with her girlfriend Shauna and it causes her to put walls up she doesn't mind hooking up with a woman which she usely does when she hanging out with her best friend Kelly.

Maddie just move in next door to Savannah she coming off a bad breakup she a photographer when
Bonnie
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
First I have to let you know that even though I’m a proud Canadian I know very little about hockey. Yes I know that’s rather rare but there you have it. Even though this book revolves around hockey it also circles around a very nice romance.
Madison Scott has just moved from Chicago for two reasons, first she’ll be closer to her sister’s family and more importantly she’ll be escaping the abusive relationship she finds herself in. Mary, her ex was not only abusive but she made a habit of
Katrina
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-and-lesbian
Barbro-Katrin
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own

The only bit I really liked is the opening of the book, the banter between Savannah and her moms.
What bugs me is when I’m 15 minutes into reading a book and there is already a thought about shoving someone against a wall and having their way with them, or fantasies about kissing them. I’ve notice this in several lesfic, and each time
Ameliah Faith
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A New Love for Hockey!
Veterinarian and semi-pro hockey stat, Savannah, is loving life, if only she could keep her mother Lisa from matchmaking all the time and the brat of the team to go away. She lives the life of a player with her best friend and “sister” Kelly. When she meets the new next door neighbour, Madison, she is blown away and instantly attracted. Madison is a pro photographer and has been hired by Savannah’s team to take pictures throughout the season. She is also the photographer
Mildred Digby
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Savannah is a semi-pro hockey player and a veterinarian when she’s not on the ice. Her mothers (yes, plural) continually harass her about her perpetually single status, going so far as to set her up on a number of disastrous blind-dates.

Maddie has been burned by a relationship that went sour and is not looking for a relationship either. Nevertheless, Savannah’s teammate and best friend Kelly hits on her relentlessly. She and Savannah decide that the best way for both of them to stay out of
Megan
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. Savannah Wells cannot get away from her family setting her up on blind dates. She meets her next door neighbor, Madison Scott. Maddie and Savannah instantly connect and all Savannah wants to do is spend more time with her. Maddie instantly likes Savannah and seems to keep running into her and realizing they have similar interests. When Savannah suggests they should start a fake relationship to trick her moms, Maddie is completely on board. Maddie and Savannah both start to spend more ...more
Andi
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This was a really quick read (an evening). A faux-mance book.

Hockey player (and vet, but we never see this) Savannah Wells and her new neighbor Madison Scott both like each other, BUT... they've also both sworn off relationships. BUT... to get Savannah's mum off her back about finding a good girl to settle down with, the two women agree to put on a show. BUT... they both like each other and would really prefer to just date BUT neither says anything to the other.

This was an easy read, a fun
shoesforall
Dec 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book so much. It hurts me to give this book only one star but I had some big problems with the book. First of all, I am not a fan of books that start in media res. I need a little background before the book dives into a conversation between main characters. There is also very little chemistry between the main characters. I didn't feel any connection there no matter how often the author told me there was a connection.

Finally, we get to my foremost problem with the book. It
S
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
So I am a fan of fake relationship books but not this one. The plotline did not work for me. The issues that were in the book were overblown and really made to be worse than they were to drive the story along. I also felt that I really did not even know something as basic as what the MCs really even looked like. Overall unbelievable and I will give it a generous 3 stars. I received this as book from netgalley and the publisher in exchange for a honest review.
Lucy
I requested this book from NetGalley because it was a female/female romance with a hockey player as one of the main characters in it. After reading the reviews of this book, I went in with fairly low expectations but I found myself enjoying this book. I had not read the previous book in this world, On the Fly, but that didn't affect how I felt about this book.

Savannah and Madison meet when Madison moves in next door to Savannah. Neither of them is interested in a relationship, both of their
Jeff
I really enjoyed the overall storyline and the characters. There is a lot of good chemistry between the Savannah and Madison from the first time they met. In some ways, this was actually a detriment to part of the storyline which I will get to momentarily. One of Savannah's mothers keeps trying to set her up on dates so she can find someone to make her happy. Savannah and Madison decide they will go into a fake relationship to stop this. But Savannah had her heart broken in college which has ...more
Eleana Tyradelli
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
I read the ARC provided by the publishers through NetGalley.

A fast, enjoyable read.

Why the 3 (2.5 rounded up to 3) stars:

The "fake dating" trope: Although it's always fun to read, in this case it didn't make much sense, as the characters were already attracted to each other and had more or less shown their mutual attraction to each other. Meanwhile, the reasons for not wanting to pursue an actual relationship, even though clearly stated, weren't really supported by the characters' actions and
Jasmine
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Savannah is happy with her life, between her job, her hockey team, and going out with her friends, but her mother is determined to set her up with someone to date. When Madison moves in next door, Savannah proposes they fake-date to get her mother off her case. Madison just got out of a relationship and isn't looking to date, but she figures she can handle a fake one right? Neither women are prepared for the very real feelings that soon develop.

Although I've enjoyed the last few books by PJ
Deanna (Deanna Reads Books)
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books
This should have been a book that really worked for me because it had two things I love in it -- hockey and fake relationships! But for some reason I just couldn't get into it. I don't know if it was the pacing or the just not feeling the characters, but I just felt kinda meh about the story line. Which is a bummer because I really wanted to like this book way more than I did.

I think part of what didn't work for me is the WHY
Lucy B
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley and Bold Strokes Books for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is the story of Savannah Wells, a semi-professional hockey player and Madison Scott a professional photographer. This story takes place in the same universe as Trebelhorn's "On the Fly," with the same hockey league as well as the main characters in that novel Court and Lana making appearances.

In Face Off Savannah and her new next-door neighbor Madison cook up a fake dating plan in order to get

• Temptation
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • Thursday Afternoons
  • 30 Dates in 30 Days
  • The Inn at Netherfield Green
  • Line of Duty (Fairview Station #3)
  • The Roommate Arrangement
  • Taking a Shot at Love
  • Brooklyn Summer
  • Tinsel
  • Heart Failure
PJ Trebelhorn was born and raised in the greater metropolitan area of Portland, Oregon. Her love of sports — mainly baseball and ice hockey — was fueled in part by her father’s interests. She likes to brag about the fact that her uncle managed the Milwaukee Brewers for five years, and the Chicago Cubs for one year.

PJ now resides in western New York with Cheryl, her partner of many years, and their