Start by marking “Aspen in Moonlight” as Want to Read:
Aspen in Moonlight

Aspen in Moonlight

When art historian Melissa Warren inherits three of her grandmother’s paintings that have captivated her since childhood, she sets out to discover more about the little known artist and the locations of the mysterious landscapes. Her search takes her to the Colorado Bear Conservancy and the artist’s great-granddaughter, Sula Johansen.
Sula is reluctant to help Melissa, but
Published November 12th 2019 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Aspen in Moonlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aspen in Moonlight

Start your review of Aspen in Moonlight
Lex Kent
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars. I enjoyed this romance more than I expected to. I wanted to read/review this book because I thought this was a paranormal-romance which is one of my favorite genres. After reading some of the early reviews, I realized this wasn’t a paranormal-romance but instead a romance with a light paranormal twist. Since it wasn’t what I was hoping for, I could feel that my expectations where lowering quickly. I was hoping for something more paranormal-ish to read on Halloween. I’m happy to ...more
Rosi
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This has been a strange story and really difficult to value for me, because I didn't known beforehand that it was fantasy type. And that somehow has taken me by surprise. And as fantasy is not a subject that I especially like, I do not know how to rate it. In addition to my surprise on the subject, the author's narration is very dense and too detailed, which has made me lose the central thread on many occasions and this has bothered me more than anything.

I do not deny that the story is
Bethany
Hmmmm… to be perfectly honest, this is a hard book for me to rate and describe. On the one hand, it's a very enjoyable, light romance, but the problem is, that's not really what I expected to read with this story!

Coming up on Halloween, I was looking forward to a book that was a bit more edgy with a paranormal twist. This one has that paranormal twist, but it's very much on the light side. I'm not sure if it was my expectation or the reality, but the pace of this one felt slow to me.
CLo
This is the first book I have read from this author and I am honestly on the fence on if she and I are a reading match. While the book was edited well for grammatical issues and such, I felt it was a bit wordy. The prologue itself seemed unnecessary to me and actually set the pace of a good amount of the book. Maybe it was my fault for reading this one after reading an action/adventure romance. The pace of this one seemed too slow for me. I enjoy description but I found it too much and a lot of ...more
Mildred Digby
If you’re looking for a typical shifter book with lots of action, pack hierarchy, and forbidden love, this isn’t the book for you. Instead, this book delivers a slow, sensitive journey from wariness to trust set against the beautiful wilderness of Colorado.

The one thing that stood out for me at first is how real the setting is. Ms. Wacker really knows the area, down to the smallest detail from the scent of the forest after rain to the species of native plants and animals. This attention to
Karen
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-published, arc
This was a way cute romance and I enjoyed reading it. Melissa Warren is a art history Professor who has inherited 3 painting from her grandmother. She knows the name of the artist, but no details about her. During her summer break, she decides to travel to Colorado (her native state) to research the author. Sula Johansen is the director of the Colorado Bear Conservancy. Their paths cross because Sula's grandmother is the painter of the 3 paintings.

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about
Tere
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Art history professor Melissa Warren inherits three paintings from her grandmother that have captivated her since childhood. Her research oriented mind takes her from Georgia to her native Colorado, looking to write a paper about the elusive artist. Sula Johansen is the Director of the Colorado Bear Conservancy and the great great-granddaughter of the artist. They connect and the chemistry is undeniable, making usually reserved Sula, open to love for the first time in her life. As the summer ...more
Ameliah Faith
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bear-y Good (Yeah Groan)

Melissa is an art historian/professor who is researching the painter of some pictures of her grandmother’s that have fascinated her since childhood. She goes to Colorado in her quest for answers and meets Sula who is the great granddaughter of the painter. Sula is a unique woman who runs the Colorado Bear Conservancy and, like most of the members of her family, has a great affinity for and a special kinship with the creatures…

What a great book! This clever tale is so
Aleana Harris
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Melissa has inherited paintings from her grandmother that belong to her great-grandmother she has always been mesmerized by them since she was a child. She decide to found out more about the paintings and it leads her to Colorado Bear Conservancy.

With the help of Betty the owner of the cabin where she staying at she meets Sula the Director of Colorado Bear Conservancy and when they meet they are instantly drawn to each other. When Melissa learned that Sula is the great-granddaughter of the
Megan
I'm a big fan of paranormal romances and I'm also pretty hard on them if they disappoint. When I saw this book on the upcoming releases I was totally stoked. A shifter/paranormal romance without wolves? Yes please. I love a good wolf shifter book, but it's nice to switch stuff up and a bear shifter sounded like a great twist. Once I started reading, I began to realize that this is more of romance than paranormal so I had to reset my expectations and read the book on its own merits rather than ...more
Velvet Lounger
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, romance
4.5

Excellent and unusual story weaving a traditional romance with a paranormal twist.. but without it feeling like a paranormal tale.. hopefully will appeal to romance readers who don’t ‘do’ paranormal.

Excellent story and wonderful characters set against the glorious backdrop of the Rockies.. the baddie is nasty, the wider cast are well drawn and the whole is an excellent read.

Have to admit I was left worrying that a trap had been left out or Notch would get in trouble from something Kerry had
Gayle
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Cast of Characters:

Melissa Warren, a Professor at Dreighton College in Buck Springs, Georgia;
Sula Johansen; biologist and Executive Director of the Colorado Bear Conservancy in Buckhorn, Colorado;
Ursula Bergen, artist and painter of landscapes (mostly) and Sula's great-grandmother;
Betty Andersen, owner/operator of the Buckhorn Creek Ranch.

**************************************

Oh, what a fascinating and intelligent book! I confess, I neglected household things to finish this story, and I suggest
Sophie
I really enjoyed this story, the chemistry between Sula and Melissa was the best of the book, but other aspects such as lots of nature (flora and fauna), interesting characters (art historian Melissa who was kind and fascinated by everything which make me like her very much since the beginning, and Sula (aka mountain woman) who can shift into a bear), and all the research about the paintings and their history behind made me feel like I was into the story myself.

Like I said, Melissa and Sula's
Mel
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Melissa Warren is out to discover the history behind her grandmother's paintings that she's loved so much since she was a child. Her research takes her across the country to Colarado into bear territory and discovers the great granddaughter of the artist, Sula Johanson and her fascination for bears at the Colorado Bear Conservancy. The more time they spend together the more their mutual admiration for each other grows.
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. I'm not really into
Kristian Walls
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of love and fate. Wacker delivers a fun, sweet, and very genuine feeling romance.
This story is very well written. The descriptions are so in depth and provide a clear and beautiful picture of the settings and the characters. I found myself picturing everything with crystal clarity. Wacker is also marvelous with the level of information she put in. I learned a lot about art and wild life from this story. The dialogue was especially amazing as it felt organic and smooth at every
Melissa
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aspen in moonlight book review

This is an enjoyable read. The scenery was beautifully described and I really liked the inclusion of so much wildlife. It made the idea of Sula as a shapeshifter more believable. Personally, I would have liked more actual shifting rather that just knowing she could. The history of the paintings is a nice addition to the storyline and helped to balance the romance and extensive wildlife information. I'd be happy to read this author's next book.
I received an ARC of
Gail
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detailed descriptions of Colorado wilderness are woven into a slow burn shape shifter mystery romance. Melissa and Sula interact beautifully and slow dance (with some hiccups) to happy ending dragging you along for the ride. An easy, slow read worthy of 4 stars.
I rec'd a ARC from NetGalley/Bold Strokes Books for review.
Emmy

• The Roommate Arrangement
  • Not Since You
  • 30 Dates in 30 Days
  • One Walk in Winter
  • Cost of Honor (Honor, #10)
  • A Moment in Time
  • Living
  • Slammed
  • Fearless
1 follower
Kelly Wacker is a Western native currently residing in the Deep South where she teaches art history and environmental studies at a liberal arts university. Stories have been quietly spinning around in her head for years and she recently decided to craft one into a proper narrative. The resulting novella is a historical romance set in France during the First World War. Deeply connected to the ...more