Start by marking “Doctor Who: Assassin in the Limelight” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Assassin in the Limelight

Doctor Who: Assassin in the Limelight (Big Finish Monthly Range #108)

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Ford's Theatre, Washington. Friday, 14th April, 1865. The assassination of Abraham Lincoln.

The place, the date and the event which made history. Or did it? Someone has been tampering with time, muddying the waters of history for his own purposes. Time itself is out of joint and the chief culprit is the enigmatic Doctor Knox.

Somehow the Doctor and Evelyn must put history ba
Audio Cd
Published May 2008 by Big Finish Productions Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Steven
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctor-who, plays, british
Dr Knox puts time out of joint and prevents Lincoln's assassination.
A Bald Mage** Steve
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Not as good as Medicinal Purposes but a good well written sequel..... 6.5/10
Shaun Collins
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Phenomenal acting (as always) by Colin Baker and Maggie Stables. The plot makes for a refreshing change of pace from the usual bad guy teaming with aliens but falls in love with girl bit, though it does get a bit muddled in the middle with how things work.
Jamie Revell
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 6th-doctor
A mysterious time traveller wants to prevent the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, and it's up to the Doctor and Evelyn to save history. In fact, the identity of the villain is apparent to both the listener and the Doctor almost from the beginning, and the real mystery is his motive.

The story manages to be quite engaging, and hews reasonably close to the historical facts, visiting time travellers aside. Picking the Lincoln assassination is a sensible choice; we know less about it than that of Ke
Aidan
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I am not entirely sure how I feel about this story, even after a third play-through. On the one hand I appreciated the setting but I found the piece as a whole to be a little confused with baffling character motivations and a lack of focus at points.

I felt Leslie Phillips was okay as Knox but I found his performance to be a little flat at times. It is possible though that I found the character a little tough to get a handle on because I had not heard his first story, Medicinal Practices. I canno
Nicholas Whyte
Assassin in the Limelight totally fails to capitalise on its setting. I was not wildly impressed by either of Ross's earlier Six/Evelyn/Knox plays (the one in Edinburgh with David Tennant being a deranged Scotsman, or the one in Brighton with Roy Hudd as Max Miller), and, alas, this is a desperate attempt to fit a time-travel drama about the very real events of this day. My complaint about the villainous Robert Knox remains that his means and motivation are pretty obscure. One of my many complai ...more
Mel
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
"This Wilde fellow as straight as they come!"
I don't normally like it when Big Finish do American stories but this one had enough American actors and an American writer so that it felt much better. It was a fun historical, with twists and turns. Things that made you wonder in the beginning were explained quite satisfactorily. I do like how when the Doctor travels with Evelyn She's the expert on the time period not him! This being no exception. Though I also liked that it took her awhile to get
Ritchie
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Finally, Big Finish does an adventure set in the USA that isn't rife with stereotypes and Foghorn Leghorn imitations. John Wilkes Booth is killed hours before the assassination of Abraham Lincoln is supposed to happen. Or is he? Oscar Wilde shows up decades before he is born. Obviously, there's a Time Meddler involved. Six and Evelyn investigate.
Michael Holloway
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, sci-fi, audio
The most I've laughed at a Big Finish story since Doctor Who: The Kingmaker, but the plot is too convoluted and the number of death scenes is a little ridiculous.
Kate Sherrod
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Further evidence that Sixth Doctor + Evelyn Smythe + Historical event = Who Perfection. Here events center around Ford's Theater in 1865, and do involve John Wilkes Booth, but not in any way you're expecting. Unless you're expecting Who Perfection!
Debra Cook
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
The Doctor and Evelyn land in 1865 just before the killing of Lincoln… or will he be killed?
Christopher Buchanan
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Pretty meh. Not terrible but it just didn't do much for me. Didn't care for the Monk knock off either. It's been done.
Tatiana
Aug 15, 2013
Igor
Mar 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Big Finish Monthly Range (1 - 10 of 233 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time