Start by marking “We Are Totally Normal” as Want to Read:
We Are Totally Normal

We Are Totally Normal

In this queer contemporary YA perfect for fans of Becky Albertalli and This Is Kind of an Epic Love Story, Nandan’s perfect plan for junior year goes awry after he hooks up with a guy for the first time.

Nandan’s got a plan to make his junior year perfect, but hooking up with his friend Dave isn’t part of it—especially because Nandan has never been into guys. Still, Nandan’
Expected publication: March 31st 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about We Are Totally Normal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are Totally Normal

Start your review of We Are Totally Normal
Chaima ✨ شيماء
man BLESS this new YA trend of gay couples on book covers. my skin? cleared. my crops? watered. my spirit? replenished. I love homosexuality
Kai
Jun 19, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, to-buy
no YOU'RE crying at the sight of this cover
✨    jamieson   ✨
Stunning cover!!! gay content !! ownvoices author !!! you love to see it !!
Mariah
Jul 26, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
If this keeps up, imagine how magical it'll be to walk into bookstores 5 or 10 years from now and seeing homosexual couples on book covers as often as you see hetersexual ones.
AJ
I am always here for queer South Asian MCs
Taylor
This cover is so beautiful and gay i could CRY
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Wow. Wow wow wow. This book is not only one of the most unique books I've read, it's also one of the most... real books on relationships, social dynamics, and questioning sexual identity I've read.

- Follows Nandan, an Indian-American teen who questions his sexual identity and develops an intimate yet hesitant relationship with Dave, an awkward Indian-American teen.
- This book does not follow the conventional structure of most books where there is a clear conflict and clear resolution - which is
andrea 🥀✨
all these gay books with the same-ish style of beautifully drawn covers are coming out in the near-ish future and i am heRE fOR iT.
Sahil Javed
Nov 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbtq, contemporary
two boys? it's gay? i'm in.
;3
ANOTHER GORGEOUSLY RENDERED COVER WITH GAYS,,,,LOVE THAT FOR ME ...more
Tova
Jun 19, 2019 marked it as 2020-releases
This cover made me cry. It's so fucking beautiful. Thank you Rahul Kanakia for existing and being a writer.
E.
cover: *is pretty*
me: *want*

__________________________

insta | twitter | blog | booksirens | duolingo
Tucker
Aug 14, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
this cover gives me life
shri (sunandchai)
Read the full review here on my blog!

First of all, I want to thank HarperTeen for sending me a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Second of all, I read this book in about an hour and a half. I was stuck on a flight from Philadelphia to Minneapolis and intended on sleeping for most of it because I was sleep deprived as hell after a really long week, and I completely forgot to sleep on that flight. I forgot to recline my seat. I barely heard the flight attendant ask me if I wanted
Fari
not only is there a gay couple on the cover, the MC is South Asian! Written someone named Rahul, so common in my world but rare to see on a cover like this. i haven’t even read the book but my closeted ass just might burst into tears
Dany
Highschool experience from a South Asian main character's point of view.

Nandan , living with his mom always feels put of place. When he ends up with his sort of crush Dave alone in his apartment , they hook up and become a thing.

The plot , theme , Characterisation couldn't be more relatable. I could connect with most of the story and I'm pretty sure fresh High school graduates can relate even more.

We are totally normal is a curated version of 13-18 life all around the world.

Thanks Edelweiss and
anna grace 🌈
this sounds.. amazing and also why does the cover remind me so much of carry on??
Blue
I do not know The Spectacular Now so I'm not sure what this is actually about other than a boy kissing another boy, which is always good.

I watched The Spectacular Now....this may be more awesome than I could ever imagine...also Asian Clark Kent looking dude? I'm in.
Sophie Elaina
What a cover!!! And this sounds so wonderful, I can't wait!

Thank you to Harper Collins for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Kacen Callender
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this book. It was so complicated and messy and vulnerable and real, and I love Nandan and Dave so much! Rahul Kanakia perfectly captures the realistic complications and vulnerability of questioning identity, attraction, and relationships. Told with a refreshing pitch-perfect teen voice and through the eyes of one of the most endearing and real characters I’ve ever met, We Are Totally Normal is validating, entertaining, and filled with love. I really recommend this for anyone who has ever ...more
rachel ☾
Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
Benjamin (The Maniac)
If being totally normal has anything to do with this cover, then I'm ready to embrace normality into my life.
madandelion ~hiatus (✿^‿^)~
Oh my god. I swear I popped a vein in my brain and died as soon as I saw the cover.
And then,
Asian?

*whimpers a tiny little happy sound*
Fanna
Sep 01, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
|| South-Asian MC; desi rep - Nandan
|| Asian-American MC - Dave
|| Queer romance; bisexual experience
|| THAT COVER THO
|| comparable to Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
Leo
Oct 12, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Of course I want to read this, have you seen that cover?!

My queer heart is happy
Lauren
Couldn’t finish this. If I had to read one more “dude” or “bro” I was going to throw the book against the wall. It was a rambling mismatch that seemed to have zero meaning until the weirdly sudden blow job scene and then you’re like “what?!”.

And I really wanted to love it! That’s cover is stunning, two gay Asian teens as MC’s. It could have been perfect. But the plot is pretty much not there.
Lydia Gompper
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book read my mind. It cracked me open, delved into my memories of high school, and threw all my 16-year-old thoughts back at me.

YA contemporary has a core struggle: it's got to feel real, to feel true to the reader's own experience as a teenager, and sometimes books just don't. There's something false in them. Something that says, "either you experienced high school differently from everyone else, or this book just isn't getting it." But We Are Totally Normal absolutely got it. This book
Shannon
Jun 19, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
this cover is gorgeous. can it be 2020 yet jfc
Danielle Chambers
I'm going to wait to post my review of this closer to publication.
Dany
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was Ok... nothing memorable.

• Just Breathe
  • The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky (Montague Siblings, #1.5)
  • The Infinite Noise
  • We Contain Multitudes
  • All the Better Part of Me
  • Look
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Tweet Cute
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Would Like to Meet
  • Black Wings Beating (Skybound #1)
  • We Were Promised Spotlights
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • Birthday
  • Three Things I Know Are True
Rahul Kanakia’s second novel, WE ARE TOTALLY NORMAL, is out in March 2020 from HarperTeen. Her first book, ENTER TITLE HERE (Disney '16) was a Junior Library Guild selection and was reviewed by the New York Times. Her stories have appeared in Clarkesworld, Lightspeed, F&SF, and others. She lives in San Francisco with her wife and daughter.