Start by marking “A Good Man” as Want to Read:
A Good Man

A Good Man

Thomas Martin was a devoted family man who had all the trappings of an enviable life: a beautiful wife and daughter, a well-appointed home on Long Island's north shore, a job at a prestigious Manhattan advertising firm. He was also a devoted son and brother, shielding the women in his orbit from the everyday brutalities of the world.

But what happens when Thomas's fragile
Expected publication: January 14th 2020 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about A Good Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Man

Start your review of A Good Man
Liz Barnsley
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I started “A Good Man” thinking I’ll read a couple of chapters, get a feel for the story, then suddenly, almost without blinking it seemed, I finished it. I fell into Thomas Martin’s story and followed it with an ever growing sense of unease, that off kilter sense that tells you it’s going to hurt. Indeed I think the very last sentence of this novel will haunt me for the foreseeable future, I had tears in my eyes as I read it.

The intelligence of this book comes in its nuances, in a lot of ways
Emily B
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to netgalley, the author and the publishers for an advanced copy of this book.

I read this in about two sittings which shows I found it pretty fluid and easy to read. It was an interesting character study particularly as I do enjoy an unreliable narrator. I think as a narrator Thomas could have looked slightly deeper into his past, his actions and feelings and how all these things combined to lead to the horrifying conclusion. However I guess that this is exactly what the intended
Kathleen
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A profoundly disturbing and deeply unsettling story of a man struggling to reconcile himself with the horrifying act he has committed. Katz deftly embodies her narrator, giving voice to his self-serving recreation of the past and presenting him as he sees himself: a provider, a protector, a patriarch. Richly drawn and laced through with dread, this bold novel is an unflinching examination of what it means to be a man, and how easily a man can become a monster.
Alyssia Cooke
Warning: If you plan to read/watch Twilight steer clear. Full explanation below, but it's worth noting that the author has been uncouth enough to write in full spoilers for another author's series here.

Otherwise. Eh, good but not superb. A Good Man is a tale told from an undeniably unreliable narrator; Thomas thinks he is a good man and told from his perspective, there is much to back this up. Except there are some inconsistencies which even he can't cover up from his own mind. Looking back on
Hazel
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My thanks to NetGalley and publisher Random House UK, Cornerstone, for the ARC.

This is a story of a Good Man - Martin - he adores his wife Miriam and their daughter. He has a good job in Manhattan at an advertising firm; consistently promoted and able to provide for his family - private school for his daughter and continuing provision for his two sisters and ailing mother. He does what is right - he has responsibilities.
That's the face of it - underneath there are currents of concern, discontent
Tara O'sullivan
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very well written, with some of the best character description I've come across in a long time. The author has a great economy of style, able to use just a few words to paint a vivid picture. The book is told from the point of view of Thomas, who is determined to be a good man - a good husband, a good father, a good brother and a good son, as well as a good employee. He considers it his duty to take care of all the women in his life, often calling them 'my girls'. But as the story ...more
Amy
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, won-giveaways
Wonderful writing. Great story. I found the characters really relatable and became emotionally invested in their journey very quickly. Crazy ending. Totally taken aback! Great book from beginning to end. 100% recommend.
Oliver Clarke
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review coming soon on Sci Fi and Scary
Emma
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in one sitting without really meaning too. The writing style is lovely, the story is captivating and I could really picture every scene just from the writing and descriptions. A man makes a terrible decision that we spend the whole book waiting to uncover. I hadn't guessed the ending.
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps if you’ve never read ‘Gone Girl’, nor any other of the many unreliably narrated psychological novels that have flooded the market over the past few years, you might remain gripped by ‘A Good Man’. It is well written and the detail that makes a story come to life – descriptions of place, individual mannerisms, back stories etc. - are all there. However, it’s pretty clear from the outset that, Thomas, the devoted husband/father/brother/son has a way of presenting the truth that’s anything ...more
George1st
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
France's Patrick Modiano is one of my favourite authors and in much of his work he explores the vagueness of incomplete memory when trying to determine the actuality and significance of events. Can you trust a narrative when it may be incomplete and less than truthful? Modiano came to mind after reading this wonderfully disturbing, haunting and gripping novel that sees a man giving his account of his life up to now while struggling to make sense and ultimately justify his actions. The more we ...more
Barbara Rohde
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thomas meets Miriam and they are blissfully in love. Eventually, Thomas takes Miriam to meet his family but only after Thomas has insisted his mother and 20 year old twin sisters avoid mentioning their past.
Thomas thinks of himself as a good man, a loving and responsible father, son and husband who works for an advertising agency climbing the ladder and providing for his family. And it's easy to go along with his view of himself and gloss over the subtle instances that demonstrate the
Sid Nuncius
I’m afraid I struggled with A Good Man. It’s a bold idea and Ani Katz certainly writes well, but I got very bogged down in a slow, oppressive narrative.

The book is narrated in the first person by Thomas, a man with an apparently idyllic family life with his wife and daughter and a successful career. We can tell that something dreadful is looming, but it takes a very long time indeed for anything approaching an event to occur. Thomas’s narration is plainly unreliable – and very well done, to be
Renee
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
A Good Man is told from the perspective of Thomas Martin. He is by all outward appearances, a good man who works diligently to provide his family with everything they need. He is a husband, father, son, and brother, who has a solid career and a nice house on Long Island. Why then is he telling a story about what went wrong in his perfect life? Is Thomas a reliable narrator, or is his version of the truth flawed?
Seeing everything that happened through his eyes, provides a unique window into the
Lorraine Woodall
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very different style of writing to what I am used to but that made the impact that I think was intended.
Everything is viewed and recounted through the eyes of Thomas. It is up to the reader to interpret whether he is a good a man as he believes. He is a good provider and wants the best for his family but emotionally he is not as good a support as he thinks he is. I would love to know what a psychologist would make of him.
I enjoyed picking up on the nuances of his narrative and this is where
janine
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another strange one for me to rate!

I'm torn between the negatives & positives.

Negatives.....
The repetition of the mundane bored me senseless, the constant references to opera..BORING!

The characters just dont connect, the main character is bloody horrible. Yes I know that's what the author wants BUT there isnt one likeable character in the book.

The narrative is just to normal and ordinary, it just plods along and the little hints that are dropped throughout ould so easily be missed because
Nicky Maunder
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Meet Thomas. Husband to his beloved wife Miriam, and doting father to his daughter Ava, his “girls”. He is a good man. He provides for his wife and daughter. He protects them. But he has done a bad thing, a horrific thing. And before he’ll tell you what he’s done, he wants to tell you his story. The story of his parents and rather dysfunctional family, how his father and sister died very close together, and how there’s always more going on behind closed doors. How he provides for his family, and ...more
Corinne Sparks
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's difficult to review this without giving any spoilers - any information would absolutely detract from this wonderfully tense and gripping novel that takes you down a path and thought process you'd never imagine possible.
The writing is skillfully taut, and I felt my actual stomach clench as the events in the book began to spiral out of control and to what seems like an impossible ending.
A wise selection for anyone that still believes in the American Dream, or wonders exactly what stress and
Cynthia Herzog
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I won this book from GoodReads

This is a creepy book. The narrator thinks he is a good man, or at least tries to be. In reality he's a control freak with no insight into his behavior. This is not really giving much away, as we know from the beginning that he has done something that he is trying to explain and the author starts giving hints early on as to his lack of insight. The narrator has a beautiful wife and young daughter and a successful career, but gradually you come to learn that all is
Chaya Nebel
This novel is about a man and the demons that keep him up at night: protecting his wife and daughter, taking care of his unstable sisters and mother, keeping his job, etc. The author foreshadows the truth about his life from page one (I won't reveal any spoilers, but it suffices to point to Chekhov's gun as a narrative principle here).

The author builds up a great sense of tension, and an ominous mood; something is very wrong with the pieces of Thomas' family, and it's that disturbing
Eloise Robbertze
A Good Man by Ani Katz is a delightfully surprising novel that grabs hold of you, taunts you, saddens you, disturbs you, then spits you out and turns it’s back on you and you’re left thinking, What WAS that?

Ms. Katz effortlessly weaves a trail of dread and foreboding from the very first page. Themes of abandonment, abuse, masculinity, redemption and how differently we see ourselves to those around us pervades the pages through beautifully constructed prose.

The real and perceived demands that
Linda Bond
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What does it mean to be a good man? Does such a thing exist? Even Christ supposedly told his follows that he was not “good” – that only God was good. But that doesn’t stop Thomas Martin from trying. He has a perfect family with a beautiful wife and daughter. He takes care of his mother and looks after his brother. His career is as good as it gets, which means he can afford a nice home on Long Island. But things are about to change. We know all this because Thomas is telling the story himself and ...more
Lethmi
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was just too much “dark” for me at the moment. It is Intriguing and quite interesting in style. I felt there may have been times when the prose was trying to be too clever and I had to reread sections to decipher what was being communicated. Perhaps it’s because during a busy time in my life I just need a simple read (which is not always the case with my reading) and so this review is all about the context. If you want something to ponder, this is the book for you. If you want a lazy, ...more
Anne
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley for my copy of A good Man.
This is a very dark and chilling story that becomes increasingly sinister as the plot unfurls. The characters are well delineated and believable, if mostly a little odd to say the least. Even so, it was only the daughter I felt any significant sympathy for at the end.

Although the book had a modern setting it seemed more 1950's to me, but I can't really explain why. I, personally, could have done without all the operatic references as they meant
Gloria Zak
Nov 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Received this book through Goodreads giveaway program.

I didn’t find anything to like in this book. Overly descriptive throughout the book, sometimes less is the better path. The book seemed to ebb and flow with no consistency in storytelling. One dysfunctional family to another dysfunctional family- were there no normal people in this author’s vision? No character that was likable, therefore interest waned for me pretty quickly.

The gist of the story has great possibilities; it just needs an
Nic
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A deeply disturbing and well written story about an apparently decent father, husband, brother and son whose life and mind slowly unravel to reveal a shocking conclusion. On paper I should have enjoyed this but I found it a little jarring and disjointed; regularly meandering into dialogue that added a limited amount to the narrative. I suspect for many this will be a terrific read enlivened by the unreliable narration of the main protagonist.

With many thanks to Netgalley and Random House
4rachel
Nov 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like a book to either grab me from the start - simmer along nicely -or have the tension build up as you go .
I'm afraid this book did none of those things . It's not often I post a bad review but I just could not get into this at all .
I didn't like the characters and after reading over half - I still wasn't sure what it was trying to say.

Sorry -just not for me

Thank you NetGalley for an ARC in return for an honest opinion.
Kelsey Grode
I won this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. This was a really interesting book. I struggled a bit in the beginning trying to understand the author's writing style, but once you get the hang of it the story is a quick read. There are no quotations, so sometimes I found it a bit difficult to differentiate between dialogue between characters and the narrator's own inner thoughts, but that may be the goal of the author. Overall an interesting read.
Alison Richardson
Thomas believes he’s a good man, he has a good job, lovely wife and daughter a beautiful house on Long Island and family close by.
His comfortable existence is shattered by events that can’t be undone, he feels he is the victim and everything begins to unravel around him.
This is a dark psychological story told from Thomas’ point of view - I didn’t sympathise with him, but you might.
Debra Johnston
On paper this sounded like my kind of book but I found the style of writing difficult to read. Another reviewer put it as " I found it a little jarring and disjointed; regularly meandering into dialogue that added a limited amount to the narrative" and I'd agree with that. The story and the concept are good but the way the book was written put me off unfortunately.

• Darling Rose Gold
  • Little Bandaged Days
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • A Window Breaks
  • The Temple House Vanishing
  • The Other People
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • Seven Days