Start by marking “Let's Dance!” as Want to Read:
Let's Dance!

Let's Dance!

This rhythmic showcase of dances from all over the world features children of diverse backgrounds and abilities tapping, spinning, and boogying away!

Tap, twirl, twist, spin! With rhyming text, author Valerie Bolling shines a spotlight on dances from across the globe, while art from Maine Diaz shows off all the moves and the diverse people who do them. From the cha cha of
Hardcover
Published March 3rd 2020 by Boyds Mills Press (first published 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Let's Dance!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Dance!

Start your review of Let's Dance!
Kirsti Call
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Tappity tap, fingers snap!"

This book is a delightful exploration of dances around the world. Expressive and lyrical text pairs with active illustrations, making this the kind of book kids will want to re-read--and following the reading with a dance party!
Carol Ekster
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read-aloud! Kids will love the rhythm and simple lyrical text. The illustrations are fantastic and diverse. Even the last page where the dancing stops and the child in bed is counting sheep is a delight - all the sheep are dancing! Nursery schools will love this one. I can see following up the reading with a dance party...or at least a discussion of the dances the class likes to do.
Sandy Brehl
The contagious effects of music saturate the lyrical rhymed text and vivid action-packed pages. LET'S DANCE offers universal appeal of movement and music through a multicultural lens.
Little bums and shoulders will start bobbing at the first sights and sounds of the exuberant action and expressions of kiddos virtually leaping off the cover. I have no doubt that adult readers will be doing some seat-swaying and toe-tapping within a few page turns, too.
A first peek at the end papers hints at the
Rachel
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As the Publishers Description says, this picture book showcases dances from all over the world, with rhythmic prose that encourages readers to tap, spin, and boogie along.

Bollings sparse rhyming text is rhythmic and fun. Each spread highlights a different kind of dance with its own character and rhythm reflected in Bollings word choices. At the end, an illustrated spread of back matter gives a little more detail about each kind of dance just enough to keep kids interested and teach them
Maria Marshall
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
With the deceptively simple use of 12 couplets, consisting of two-word (sometimes three-word) rhymes, Valerie and Maine have created a lively exploration of the diversity of dances and their dancers from around the world. The dancers represent multiple nationalities (including a ballet dancer in a hijab), abilities (I love the wheelchair boogie dancer), and genders.
The bright, explosive double-page illustrations perfectly match the energy of the text and include plants and items unique to the
Pippa Chorley
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lets Dance, written by Valerie Bolling and illustrated by Maine Diaz is a fantastic introduction to dance to children. The text is fill of onomatopoeia and alliteration making it fun to read out loud and the addition of rhyme makes it easy to predict words for younger readers and giving it a fun rhythm when reading aloud.

Each spread is colourful and lively and the illustrations are so full of movement that you cant help but want to dance to after reading it. Each spread focuses on a particular
Tonja Drecker
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Get ready for energy and excitement because these pages are chucked full of just that!

Every page celebrates dance from every corner of the globe. From Cuba to Ireland and around the world, dance has everyone tapping their toes, clicking their heels and snapping fingers with contagious energy. Each culture displays a different background and dance form. And this even reaches across time and religion. But one thing is always cleardance is fun no matter where you're from or what dance you do. It's
Erin Buhr
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-books
LET'S DANCE is a joyful celebration of dance. With tight, rhyming language and vibrant illustrations, this book covers a huge variety of dances from around the world. Each spread touches briefly on a form of dance, Irish stepdancing, Kathak from India, breakdancing and more. There is also additional brief backmatter included at the end about each form of dance represented. I love that it depicts many types of dance that are often not seen in picture books. I also love the energetic spirit of the ...more
Ralph Marmor
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book written by Valerie Bolling with beautiful illustrations by Maine Diaz. You will love the book as much as your children will. A great book you can read and learn the different dances from around the world. I was lucky enough to hear the book read to my class by the amazing author. Valerie has dedicated her life to children and this book shows her love of all children. My students loved the book and you and your children will too. You can read this book again and again with your ...more
Lindsey Aduskevich
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is by far my favorite children's book. When it arrived in the mail, my daughter who is 3 and the little girl I watch who is 2, sat and listened intently. At the end, my daughter stood up and did every dance that was described at the end. Then they asked me to read it again! The illustrations are gorgeous! The words are catchy and the diverse children in this story helps my girls see the world instead of just one side of it. This book is just beautiful all around. I would give it ten ...more
Janet
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book! Let's Dance! takes your swirling around the world through the many different dances that celebrate cultures from Spain to Ireland to China and many more.

The story is full of fun action, and will have readers wanting to dance along with both the vibrant words, and the beautiful pictures that almost seem to move.

I especially enjoyed the explanations about each of the dances at the back. The book is a great reminder that across cultures, we may express ourselves differently, but we
Shayla Raquel
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If youve spent more than one hour with me, then you know I love to dance. I promise you I can find a reason to dance for just about anything. Lets Dance by author Valerie Bolling and illustrator Maine Diaz uses vivid and inclusive illustrations to show the wonder of dance from all over the world. What was so unexpected about this childrens book were the pages at the end that explained the types of dances from places such as China and Ireland and Cuba. Valerie said she wants children to celebrate ...more
Amanda Flinn
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let's Dance is a vibrant picture book that is sure to please anyone that loves to move and shake. With beautiful illustrations that represent a variety of cultures and abilities, every child will be able to find him/herself on a page. The rhythmic text is fun to read out loud and the upbeat tempo matches the overall vibe of this delightful new book! Young and old readers, will want to jump up and try out these dance moves, before sitting back down to read again and again and again.
Mandy
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Picture Book. This book is all about the celebration of dance. The pictures feature bold drawings of multicultural characters, all lost to the joy of movement. The text is told in simple rhyme as 10 dances from around the world are featured. This would be a fun participatory read-aloud for infants or toddlers. I loved the back matter with brief explanations of each dance and I adored the endpapers.
Jenna Grodzicki
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let's Dance is a joyous celebration of different types of dances from around the globe. With sparse, rhyming text and expressive illustrations, young readers will feel the beat and want to dance along with the diverse group of children in the book. The back matter includes a short description of each of the featured dances. This is a perfect choice for a read aloud and an inspiration to get kids up and moving.
Marilyn Wolpin
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dance: The Language of Joy
Lets Dance is unique. There is no main character, no rising action, no problem to be solved and no Hollywood ending. Instead, Bollings lyrics are set to the fluid and colorful artwork of Argentine artist Maine Diaz. There is, however, a moral to this story song: no matter your gender, skin color, country of origin or physical capability, dance is the universal language of joy. If you know a child who loves to dance, buy him or her this book.
Regina Hansen
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is charming and filled with joy. Children will love its happy rhythmic language, so beautifully captured by illustrations featuring children of diverse cultures, races and ways of life. The book also includes engaging and informative backmatter that teaches children about dances from around the world. A wonderful book to share as a family.
Charlotte Offsay
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant read aloud and a fun celebration of all kinds of dance. The vibrant art brings the steps to life on the page and the explanations of the different kinds of dancing in the back are a nice addition. This one sparked some fun impromptu dancing with my 4 and almost 6-year-old! Highly recommend!
Tina Cho
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bollings nonfiction picture book, Lets Dance, features children from around the world dancing in traditional clothing. Sparse rhyming phrases capture the thrill and excitement of each dance. Diazs rich colorful illustrations turn each dance into a beautiful scene. Back matter includes a tidbit about each dance and what country it is from. A very fun read! ...more
Beth Anderson
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Simple rhyming text introduces kids to dances from around the world.
Joyful, lively, and colorful, the story ends with a girl falling asleep counting sheep representing all the different dances. Back matter provides more information on the cultural dances. This is sure to get little ones doing some creative dancing!
Carolyn Leiloglou
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This colorful, rhyming book will have your preschoolers throwing their own impromptu dance party on the spot! They wont be able to resist joining in with the lively illustrations of children from around the world participating in all kinds of dance.

The backmatter gives brief descriptions about the different types of dances and their origins.

I received a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. Opinions are my own.
Sue
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This will get young readers up and dancing! Marvelously illustrated, this bright and cheerful book is a grand introduction to dances and cultures around the world. Lively language and verse that's fun to read aloud.
Ashley Wheelock
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
People love to express themselves though dance- and kids love it too. This nicely diverse book shows dancing around the world and gives the feel with nicely coupled rhyming text. When we got it my 6 year old was excited to read it - and then read it again. She loved looking at all the wiggling, juggling kids. The back matter added a great richness for older kids to enjoy-
Laurie Wallmark
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Share the joy of dance! In just a few words, this high-energy book introduces little children to some of the many dance forms. For those who want to know more, the back matter describes the dances in detail.
Rosie
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With sparse text and dynamic illustrations, this book is full of moves from around the world. It's also an irresistible invitation for young readers to show off their own moves and maybe try some new ones, too.
Kaitlyn
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This picture book brings delight with each page turn. The words perfectly describe every dance, the art is stunning, and it just makes me want to get up and dance!
Pam
simply adorable.
Ashley Bales
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun, rhyming book that my girls (5 and 2) very much enjoyed. Weve been re-reading it over and over - would make a great bedtime book with its length and upbeat nature. ...more
Tracie
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A new favorite. Depicts a variety of dancers and dances with rhyming text. Authors notes in back.
Nessa
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short adorable picture book about the various forms of dancing around the world.

• Numbers in Motion: Sophie Kowalevski, Queen of Mathematics
  • Morning Sunshine!
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
  • When the Babies Came to Stay
  • The Bear's Garden
  • Making Their Voices Heard: The Inspiring Friendship of Ella Fitzgerald and Marilyn Monroe
  • Emily's Idea
  • The Arabic Quilt: An Immigrant Story
  • Five Fuzzy Chicks
  • If Sun Could Speak

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »