Start by marking “Truth Be Told: My Journey Through Life and the Law” as Want to Read:
Truth Be Told: My Journey Through Life and the Law

Truth Be Told: My Journey Through Life and the Law

Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada Beverley McLachlin offers an intimate and revealing look at her life from her childhood in the Alberta foothills to her career on the Supreme Court, where she helped to shape the social and moral fabric of the country.

As a young girl, Beverley McLachlin’s world was often full of wonder—at the expansive prairie vistas
Audiobook
Published September 24th 2019 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Truth Be Told, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truth Be Told

Start your review of Truth Be Told: My Journey Through Life and the Law
Jean
I recently read a biography of the newly retired Chief Justice of the Canadian Supreme Court. When I learned that Beverley McLachlin had just published her memoir, I had to read it.

The book is well written. McLachlin tells the story of her life, both personal and professional. She got my attention right at the beginning by describing the visit to the Canadian Supreme Court by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg of the United States Supreme Court. I particularly enjoyed learning how Canadian law differs
Matt
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this telling memoir, former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, Beverley McLachlin, speaks freely about her life and some of the events than impacted it on her climb to the top of Canada’s judicial community. Hailing from the small community of Pincher Creek, Alberta, Beverley Gietz was a highly intelligent girl, though her teachers were never sure she’d accomplish much outside of the traditional roles for women. The eldest child, Beverley paved the way for her siblings and admired ...more
Brandon Forsyth
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely fell in love with Beverley McLachlin in reading this book. For those of you who don’t know her, she is the former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada (the first woman to ever hold that role), and this solidified my belief that she is a National Treasure. Her memoir is incredibly inspiring, detailing her path from small Pincher Creek, Alberta, to the heights of judicial power in Ottawa. Her compassion, optimism, and humour seem to have served her well through her career, and ...more
Alex Mulligan
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable, honest, and engaging read. As a law student I read McLachlin decisions all the time, so it was nice to read more about the Judge behind them!

Rarely do Canadians get a glimpse at our legal system and it’s complexities (especially at the Supreme Court), so is highly highly recommend!
Taylor
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best legal memoir I have ever read, written by a woman who remains an inspiration.
Janet
OH, book club, why do you torture me?
I didn't like her novel, I really didn't like this autobiography...just because you can rule on laws affecting my whole country doesn't mean that you should write novels or tedious stories of your life.

Sigh.

p.s. I am not the only one in book club who loathed this book!
Christi Provencher
Wanted to love it, but didn’t.
I didn’t like the writing style, but mostly was unable to love the book because I felt like it was written as a platform to announce her career and life achievements. I was looking for a story to be told and this book didn’t live up to that. I also found it annoying that she used it as a platform to air her gripe about Harper. Anyway, I know many will disagree, but those are my thoughts :)
Audrey
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Geoffrey Kelley
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very readable account of Beverley McLachlin’s life, starting as the daughter of German immigrants in Pincher Creek, Alberta. From relatively modest origins, she manages to overcome internal doubts to win scholarships to attend the University's of Alberta, then take the plunge into the male world of law. After practicing law in Edmonton and Fort St. John, she and her supportive husband Rory settle in Vancouver. From law firm to teaching law full-time at UBC, she is called to the bench ...more
Alan Medcalf
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As Beverley McLachlin relates, her life has been a "serendipitous concatenation of circumstance". Her autobiography is the delightfully engaging tale of a young girl who grows from a rural ranch in Pincher Creek, Alberta, to become the first woman appointed as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada. She tells her story with grace, humour and deep introspection, leading us gently by the hand through many important life decisions. That hand never lets the reader go as she also guides us ...more
Victoria
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is thoroughly engaging and makes me proud to be a woman and a Canadian. Justice McLachlin takes us through important points in our history told through the lens of her life while she highlights key legal decisions that she experienced firsthand. This is not a dry history book that plods along, she had me laughing out loud when she contemplated naming a new puppy Harper, and sobbing at the more personal, painful parts of her story.
This isn't a "it's tough to be a woman story," but one
Jayne Leake
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I greatly enjoyed reading about the author's life in Canadian law and her rise to Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada. Her passion for ensuring justice for Canadians comes through very quickly and especially when she discusses important SCC rulings with respect to Charter Rights. Her deep love for her family and her Alberta rural roots is a pleasure to read but she is honest in her assessment of her life. Highly recommended!
Vontel
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this memoir, which triggered memories of parts of my own path with a number of similar circumstances, although certainly not so in so exalted, large, or public roles. Well written & flows well, manages to convey what seems to be considerable detail of a big picture & an interesting & challenging life writ large, while within only one volume.
Desa Grivas
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very much enjoyed her bibliography about being raised in small town Canada and rising to Supreme Court justice. Raised as a women in the 1940 with supportive family, husband and friends, she strives to be the best she can be through commitment to goals of long hard hours of work and determination and her love for law and fairness. Very interesting story.
Paul C. Stalder
Inspirational. McLachlin continues to be a forceful Canadian intellect. A true role model. I do wish the book had a little more depth. It covered everything you would want, but mostly in a cursory fashion. Notwithstanding this, I truly enjoyed this memoir. It comes highly recommended, especially with those for a love and respect of the law.
Jennifer Diakiw
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A philosopher Chief Justice from Pincher Creek, Alberta - I didn’t realize how lucky we were as a country to have her in that position. She describes herself with humility, which belies her profound brilliance.
Erin
A bit of a let down after how much I loved her novel. There were lots of little pieces I felt could have been edited down (or out), and she'd briefly mention the momentous cases she worked on, but blew through through with less info than a wikipedia page.
Bev
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An engaging and fascinating autobiography of Beverley McLachlin, the recently-retired Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada. Such a talented, yet down-to-earth woman! Loved it.
Bonnie
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this as an audio book and it was so very engaging to hear Beverley McLachlin relay her life’s story. An amazing woman!
Mala Joshi
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring read for lawyers and non-lawyers alike.
Amy
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Clearly written, interesting, includes wisdom and some humour. A fascinating account of the fascinating life of the former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada.
Linda
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court’s memoir of her life and law. An inspiring book.
Sarah Jane
Nov 30, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Innocents
  • The Shape of Family
  • Had It Coming: What's Fair in the Age of #metoo?
  • Lampedusa
  • The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman
  • Immigrant City
  • From the Ashes: My Story of Being Métis, Homeless, and Finding My Way
  • Love & Courage: My Story of Family, Resilience, and Overcoming the Unexpected
  • Grand Union: Stories
  • Raised in Captivity: Fictional Nonfiction
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Inspector Banks, #26)
  • Dual Citizens
  • Promise and Peril: Justin Trudeau in Power
  • From Where I Stand
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #18)
  • Elevator Pitch
  • The Dutch House
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
Beverley McLachlin is the former Chief Justice of Canada, the first woman to hold that position.

Full Disclosure is her first novel.