Start by marking “She Came to Slay: The Life and Times of Harriet Tubman” as Want to Read:
She Came to Slay: The Life and Times of Harriet Tubman

She Came to Slay: The Life and Times of Harriet Tubman

In the bestselling tradition of The Notorious RBG comes a lively, informative, and illustrated tribute to one of the most exceptional women in American history—Harriet Tubman—a heroine whose fearlessness and activism still resonates today.

Harriet Tubman is best known as one of the most famous conductors on the Underground Railroad. As a leading abolitionist, her bravery
Published November 5th 2019 by 37 Ink

To ask other readers questions about She Came to Slay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Came to Slay

Start your review of She Came to Slay: The Life and Times of Harriet Tubman
Diane S ☔
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
3.5 Harriet Tubman. All I remember learning about this remarkable woman, in my high school history class, was her work in the Underground railroad. She did so very much more, quite astonishing in that time, well really her accomplishments would even now be considered astonishing. I'm not going to give chapter and verse on all the things she did do, you can read the book or even look her up on WIkI.
This book itself, is a rather slim volume, less than 200 pages, is told in a simple and clear
Jaclyn (sixminutesforme)
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really quick and informative read - there were so many things I learned about Tubman from this, and while her role in the Underground Railroad was what I most associated her role in history with, there was a whole range of other incredible contributions made that this really shone light on, including her role in the Civil War and her socio-entrepreneurial drive to fund various abolition and anti-slavery missions. A really well done history that is accessible and would be great to hand to ...more
Sara
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The content of this book was good. It's great to have a very easy to read book that tells a more holistic story of an incredibly important woman in US history.

What was disappointing was the writing style. The book is meant to be accessible to non-academics but that doesn't mean that it has to be staccato. It read like an academic trying to dumb down a story, rather than like a book written for a general audience. By far the most well written passages are direct quotations of Harriet Tubman. In
Mary
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, this book is fire. Admittedly, I had only basic knowledge about Harriet Tubman before reading this book, and usually books about history aren't my thing. But this is a book about an incredible woman who did the impossible over and over, and who will hopefully soon be featured on the $20 bill as she rightfully should. Told in a voice that is accessible to young readers (and people like me), I highly recommend this book to literally everyone. Harriet Tubman deserves much more recognition, ...more
Markela Parsons
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A quick listen and so informative! I was amazed by Tubman’s life and look forward to seeing her legacy continue on the 20$ bill!
Heidi Mcjunkin
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story of a woman who I only knew as a conductor on the Underground Railroad. She was MUCH more than that, she was the ultimate bad a$$!
Jose Vazquez
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Detailed and profound; Dunbar paints a vivid image of the trials and tribulations of Harriet Tubman.
Sonia Schoenfield
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is just the kind of biography I want to read. 136 pages, photographs, maps, family tree, and an engaging style kept me interested throughout. After reading The Tubman Command I've been curious about Harriet Tubman and this was the perfect book for me to read to find out more about her. What a woman! She seems larger than life, the way she rescued so many family and friends through the Underground Railroad without losing a single person along the way. And she herself had a price on her head ...more
Rachel
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really fast, engaging read. I actually wanted it to slow down a few times, and I'm glad I've got another biography of her from the library to try as well (if I can only snatch the time before it's due). This is definitely a step up from the junior-nonfiction bio Freedom Train, but kind of aimed at teens/young adults, I think. It has a lot of infographics and illustrations by Monica Ahanonu, which are neat, but make it feel... not quite serious, if that makes sense.

Still, I did learn a
vanessa
There's good information in this book and Harriet Tubman is a worthy subject. Unfortunately, I thought I'd give this five stars, but had too many issues with the writing and the way it's laid out. Too often the author supposes Tubman's thoughts and feelings ("she must have felt" "she must have thought"). When comparing it to Notorious RBG (which the back of the book does), it's hard to suppose what RBG felt and thought when she is still alive to answer questions. I wanted to like this more.
Emma-Kate Schaake
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction
Great information on a truly inspiring woman! I didn’t feel like it was as kitschy and humorous as the RBG book this was compared to, so it fell a little awkwardly in between hyper accessible and just straight factual. While it wasn’t the most gripping or enjoyable read, per say, the stories it tells are central to understanding Tubman, and America’s disturbingly racist history (which we all know informs the present...)
MandM
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book about this tough, amazing woman who did so much for her family, her country, women, elderly, military.....
She deserves to be known and honored by all. A true hero.
It is not a long book, but covers so much. Could be read by all ages for listened to by a well told audio book.
Diamond Lambert
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great story! I swear I learned so much. Harriet came a long way and lived a long, rich life. I would love to have a conversation with her. Or even hear her thoughts about the USA and Canada in 2019. Highly recommend!
Tamesha ❤️
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very informative!!!
Entertaining!!!
Inspiring!!!

Super quick read!!!

The audiobook was EVERYTHING!!!
Matt Robinson
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great life encapsulated by a concise, short, poignant biography. WelL done
Jeimy
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Good, but too brief.
Katelyn
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect length with appropriate but relaxed language.
Vanessa Holloway
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice short biography filled with an abundance of information about a great historical figure.
Luke Martin
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good, quick and inspiring read. Good for young readers, and a nice overview for adults who need it (we all need it). Harriet was a true badass.
Meganators
Nov 18, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, nonfiction
accessible, informative, history

I learned several things I didn't know about Harriet Tubman in this quick and engaging read about her life. I am in awe of her.
Leia
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Concise and well-written. It all felt like the tip of the iceberg—this was about so much more than Harriet Tubman. What a life.
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely stunning "Notorious RBG" kind of treatment of the amazing Harriet Tubman. What she did -- the lives she saved -- on the Underground Railroad was just one part of this incredible woman's life.
Kelly