Start by marking “I Wanted You To Know: A powerful and life-affirming novel that will stay with you forever” as Want to Read:

Dear Edie, I wanted you to know so many things. I wanted to tell you them in person, as you grew. But it wasn’t to be.

Jess never imagined she’d be navigating single motherhood, let alone while facing breast cancer. A life that should be just beginning is interrupted by worried looks, heavy conversations, and the possibility of leaving her daughter to grow up without her.
Kindle Edition
Published October 3rd 2019 by Agora Books

To ask other readers questions about I Wanted You To Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Wanted You To Know

warhawke
Genre: Women’s Fiction
Type: Standalone
POV: Shifting – First and Third person
Rating:

First-time motherhood was supposed to be a wonderful experience for a woman. But for Jessica (Jess) McKinley, raising her newborn alone was only a fraction of her problem. Every day became a battle when her body turned against her. And she wanted her daughter to know her and impart lessons in life before it’s too late.

I love books that hurt and nothing hurt more than things that happened to people in real life. This book flayed my heart with its rawperson
Rating:Standalone
POV:Fiction
Type:
Sherri Thacker
This has got to be one of the SADDEST books I’ve ever read. I think I’ve only cried reading 3 books and this one sure had me at the end! I knew what was coming but it still got to me anyway. How could it not?? Cancer just plain sucks - for EVERYONE involved. I’ve sadly lost a couple of friends and family members to cancer and it was one the worst things to go through. But I also have several friends who are cancer survivors!! Thank you NetGalley for granting my wish to get this book. All opinion ...more
Louise Beech
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This will be one of my books of the year. I read it in two sittings. It broke my heart. I won't forget it for a long time. That is all.
Christine
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I don’t think it has ever taken me 12 days to read a book I was enjoying...but this book did. I cried so many times that I had to pick and choose when would be an appropriate time to read through tears. Beautifully written and exceptionally heartbreaking.
Honestmamreader
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I firstly want to thank Agora Books and Laura for allowing me the opportunity to be on the blog tour for this book.

Where do I start to review this book? There aren’t many books out there that can bring me to actual tears, however, I Wanted You To Know by Laura Pearson turned little ole me into an emotional snivelling tear stained woman. I had to stop reading and take a break on numerous occasions because the tears were just too much.

The story revolves around 21 year old J
Donna Hines
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
"From best-selling author Laura Pearson comes her most devastating book yet. Honest, heart-wrenching, and emotionally raw, I Wanted You To Know is a true love letter to life: to all its heartache and beauty, to the people we have and lose, to the memories and moments that define us."
How does one say goodbye? How does one leave a lasting legacy? How does one prepare for death?
A story of compassion, heart wrenching honesty, loyalty above all else and love to those left behind...
I
Stef L
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having loved both of Laura’s previous books, I had the highest of expectations when I started I Wanted You To Know. In her opening letter to her readers Laura tells us a little about the inspiration behind her newest offering and about her own emotional journey.

As soon as I read the first page I knew that this wasn’t an ordinary book. My heart was in my mouth from the get go and it stayed there until, tears rolling down my cheeks, I turned the final page.

Meet Jessica, 21 years old and a new mo
Sallie Brown
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know what to say. Through tears, I believe this book was sent to me by a greater power. From the subject to even the publication date of my birthday. I lost my mother last year to cancer and three months later breast cancer took my best friend. I have struggled with the loss of both of them so deeply. As a woman, the closest to you are your mom and friends. Jess, in this book, gave me the peace I needed. She answered many questions I held silently. I learned the struggles my best friend ...more
Michele
This was a beautifully written book detailing how a young, single mother, Jessica (Jess) deals with a terminal cancer diagnosis. From the way she handles her relationships with her loved ones to the letters that she writes to her baby daughter, Edie, Jess deals with her cancer with grace. Through it all, her biggest regret is missing seeing her daughter grow up and not being there for her. She wants to insure that Edie is surrounded by a strong support system of others that love her.

This subjec
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a gorgeous book full of both heart and heartbreak which I suspect will resonate with so many people. Beautifully written but in an easy to read style this tells the tale of 21 year old single mum Jessica and her shock diagnosis of breast cancer. Balancing her life and treatment now with her reflecting back of her life through letters to her daughter each chapter is full of sorrow and joy, the author has done an incredible job of making a devastating book uplifting too. There’s some wonde ...more
Karen Kingston
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my must read book of 2019 - the story is so emotional and beautifully written.

As a member of the Motherload Facebook page I was eager to read this book after reading other reviews of preview copies. The story is heart breaking in places but also funny too. Laura Pearson looks not just at how Jess copes with her diagnosis but how her family and friends cope too.

This is a must read book - we all have family and friends who have faced or are currently facing cancer .
Hannah England
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After being blown away by Pearson's first two novels, I was very much looking forward to reading her third novel. The story of a young mother diagnosed with breast cancer, this novel is all the more poignant when, in a note at the start of the book, you read about Laura's own diagnosis.

Written in both prose and letters, we join Jess as she is given a diagnosis of breast cancer and embarks on treatment. As a single mother, her primary concern is for her baby daughter, Edie. Worried that she may
Sally Tyrer
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I eagerly awaited the arrival of this book as I had loved a previous book by Laura and this book was such a poignant tearjerker of a read that I couldn’t put it down!
Jess is a single mum to baby Edie when she is given the awful devastating news that she has inoperable breast cancer, what follows is an emotional, powerful,beautifully narrated read in the form of prose and letters. This book illustrates the power of love and friendships and looking for positivity even on the darkest of days
Emma Shaw
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book broke me. It reached into my heart and soul and took my breath away, making me cry a river of tears along the way. As soon as I read the raw and powerful opening letter from the author to the reader, I was already needing tissues and knew I was in for an emotional ride.

What would you want your child to know if you found out you weren’t going to be there as they grew up? That is the heartbreaking question addressed in this mesmerising and poignant novel.

Twenty-one-year-old Jess is get
Rachel
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Imagine becoming a new mom at the age of 21 and finding out you have breast cancer. Imagine sitting down in a doctor’s office with your infant in a car seat near your feet when you receive this devastating news.

Jess has just become a mom to a beautiful little girl named Edie. Edie’s father, Jake isn’t in the picture, he is off touring with his band. Jess never imagined she would be a single mom living with her own mom, and she also never imagined she’d be facing a cancer diagnosis. Her only sup
Donna Maguire

Review to be added to Amazon UK and US on 3rd October 2019 - publication day!

This is the third book I have read by this author now and she has done another brilliant job by writing such a heart-breaking and heart-warming story – it is a beautiful story to read!

I loved the characters and Laura has a brilliant way with words, her books are addictive and you do not want to put them down. In this one she has a set of characters that are so well developed I began to f
Stephanie
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has great heart. At first I wondered how it would take an entire book to tell the story but I got involved in the story and the characters. The story centers on 22 year old Jess and her battle with cancer. Jess a new mom and single faces not only her own feelings but those of the significant people in her life. She pens a series of letters to her daughter Edie and those letters fill in the history of Jess's story and the inner workings of Jess's mind.
Definitely worth a read to spend t
Sara
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This was such an emotional book you definitely need the tissues ready. The main character stood up to cancer so very bravely and always acted so selfless and wanted to make sure the others around her were okay. It definitely gives you an eye opening appreciation for life, it's something that we all can take for granted. Having lost a friend to cancer at the young age of 18, this book has a special place in my heart. Now I'm going to go hug everyone I love, and maybe even some people that I don't ...more
Catherine
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book needs to come with a warning. Do not read in a public place or without tissues to hand. I personally was an emotional wreck.
Beautifully written to express a mothers love for her young daughter. Her hopes, her wishes and her regrets.

Jess has just given birth to her daughter Edie at 21 years of ages. In the early days of breast feeding she discovers a lump, which turns out to be terminal cancer. Jess must come to terms with her own impending death and the effects it wil
Sally Tyrer
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No Books
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pearson’s ‘I Wanted You to Know’ is beautiful. I read it in one sitting. Told partly in letters to her infant daughter, IWYTK is the story of Jess, the people she loves and her battle with breast cancer at the tender age of 21.
I Wanted You To Know is nuanced and clear and honestly, I cried through most of it. It’s ultimately a story of love and friendship and the relationships between a mother and her child and how that love never shallows, irregardless of age. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Melanie Jo
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before you read this book, you will need tissues. I don't think I've ever cried this much reading a book. Talk about pulling at the heart strings. This was an amazing and beautiful story about a woman who writes letters to her daughter while she's fighting breast cancer. I didn't know if I'd be able to finish this book through the tears but what a book it was.

Thank you Netgalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Jamie
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for an advanced copy!
This book was such a heartbreaking book it took me longer to read. The characters were powerful and real. This will be a book that will stay with me for a long time.
N.J. Crosskey
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book will tear you apart, but leave you forever changed for the better. Raw, honest, immersive. Pearson doesn't shy away from harsh truths, or rose-tint the protagonist's situation, and yet there is something so beautiful and heartwarming in that honesty and openness. There is hope, of a sort. Hope for the magic of human love and connections. Hope that they can endure, even if all that remains is a memory. And for the reader, a stark wake-up call to treasure what you have. I defy anyone not ...more
Shkolnikjx
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent novel with a fascinating depiction of characters. I very much enjoyed this wonderful story and highly recommend it.
Rachel
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Approved for this earlier today and finished it minutes ago. Lying here in the dark sobbing. A story of such bravery both on the part of the author and protagonist. The story of all those things cancer can’t take away.
Colleen Maclennan
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cancer sucks at any age . This book details letters a young single dying mother leaves for her infant daughter. This book also shows how friends and families are so supportive and caring during sickness. Life is often unfair but continues for the living .
Bunny21
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jasmine
4.5/5

I can't even begin to review this right now... I don't know that I've ever cried this much at a book before...
Kelly
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG I don't even know where to start this book is heart breaking and one of my favourite reads of this year. I am not even sure I can do it justice in a review as I loved it that much!

As soon as I picked this book up I knew I was in for the long haul and I read it in under a day over two sittings.

I love a book that gives you all of the feels and this book gave me a barrage of emotions throughout. I shed my first tear around 50% and at 80% had to break a box of tissues out.

This book
« previous 1 3 next »
Laura Pearson has an MA in Creative Writing from the University of Chichester. She lives in Leicestershire with her husband and their two children. Her first novel, Missing Pieces, was published in 2018. Her second novel, Nobody’s Wife, is available now to pre-order.