Start by marking “The Shadow Student (Wraithwood Academy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Student (Wraithwood Academy #1)

The Shadow Student

(Wraithwood Academy #1)

I'm not who you think I am.

My enemies aren't who you think they are.

Welcome to Wraithwood Academy.

My father is dead. And my mother's enemies smell opportunity. To save us both, I’ll have to navigate the troubled waters of Wraithwood Academy, seeking allies and outsmarting enemies among the heirs to the country's most powerful mage families.

The vicious, gorgeous Nightfeld b
Published July 25th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Student, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Student

Marguerite (M)
Rating: 4 stars

The Shadow Student could be considered as an other take on the current bully romance trope.

Cassandra's story was just sad. Born from a human mother, she was used by her father's family as a magical battery for her half sister. She is treated like a slave while her mom is taken hostage so she will comply to their every demand. Her once and only friend now act as a douchey bodyguard for the bratty princess and Cass is left abused, barely fed or even hydrated.
When her sister Cly ta
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
3.5 stars - would have been higher but I disliked some of the author's choices.

In my day-to-day life, I would describe myself as a very controlled person. I dislike emotionality, all my work is done decades before the deadline, and I plan out my day in half-hour increments (my diary is legendary among my friends). In fact, the only place where I really let myself be impulsive is in my book download decisions.

This was one such impulsive decision, and it was a great one.

Hann's writing is great
soph
Aug 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is a attempt at a cutesy YA RH ... yes you read that right. This is not read like a slow burn it reads like
Girl (MC) is born from a union between high mage and human making her super powerful, however the high mages other daughter (our MC half sister) (a union between two mages) is weak weak weak... so
Girl is forced to be a magical battery for 10 or so years locked up in the high mages house ... then off to Harry Potter high. But our MC half sister is a nasty coward 2D character who reads
Natalie panda eyes
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hooked from start to finish because getting to the academy locked in the boot of a car is a new one. Cas is everything Cly is not yet she can’t disobey.

The guys names are more wizardy names so a little tricky to remember. Arc and Ben didn’t really stand out compared to the others, it feels like it’s only scratched the surface but I liked them, the contrast between them was interesting . Darshan is sweet and probably the one I felt the most sorry for. Aegis was what the f are you doing most of th
Georgia Bradlaw
I was really surprised how much I loved this book. It had way more story then I’ve come to expect from RH academy books and the construction flowed effortlessly. The editing is on-point so much that I didn’t even notice it was there.

I love Cassandra’s (the FMC) character. She’s not perfect but she tried to help others and rescue her mum - who’s currently a hostage - from her half-sister Cly.

I generally feel like the author wanted us to hate Cly. She was made selfish, self-centred and a bully.
Che
The book was a pleasant surprise

First of let me state that i am not a fan of the bully romance thing that is going around. I've tried several times but end up to annoyed too continue, but with that being said i would consider this book "bully lite". Yes there was some intense moments BUT our FMC did not just sit back and take it, she fought back and gave as good as she got.

I love how most of the book had no focus on romance but on Cass and her trials and tribulations. Betrayals and disappointme
Daisy Delfin

Pages: 244
My rating (stars): 2
Read other books from this author in the future: no

Somehow I could not relate/connect to the story and cannot explain why exactly. All I can say is I did not feel it. I will not read the next part of this series.

(view spoiler)
Jamielee
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: demons, paranormal, ya, witch, mm
2.5 Stars
This book has promise... Yet she ends up "with" the guys I have 0 interest in (I feel like the romantic partners should have just been Partners in Crime; they gave me 0 sparks. Also one was portrayed as Gay for 99.9% of the book not bi-sexual so that was confusing as hell). She does nothing with the guys I am interested in.
There is 0 romance in this book. It almost feels like it should have been 0.1 a lead up to the series starting.
There are so many Academy Books that I have read that
Poplora

The Good
Pragmatic, loyal Heroine
Interesting plot set up

The Not So Good
Not sold on the harem right now. They're all kinda terrible.
Felt too easy there at the end
Mom doesn't feel like a real person

Will read the next one though.
~JustMel~
Not Bad

I enjoyed this book quite a bit, but I think the romance parts should have been left out or introduced a bit earlier. It just seemed to be a little too rushed in my opinion. However, everything else flowed brilliantly and I like that this was a complete story. I will most definitely be reading the next book in this series.
JadeShea
The Shadow Student was not what I was expecting. It starts off really different, and then there are a lot of twists to it. I enjoyed the main heroine, and although I felt there wasn't really any connection between her and the hero or heroes, things turned out interesting in the end.

Overall, I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite.
Matilda Rowe Bond
I HONESTLY HAVE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS BOOK! All bully romances should be like this one. It feels like every bully romance is so extreme that I can't even understand how the fmc can forgive mc. But in this one, it had a subtlety to it that allowed for a real relationship to actually take place, especially since not all of the three boys were dicks. Cass's story was absolutely heartbreaking; she didn't let her situation keep her down, always looking for a way to save herself an ...more
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was an okay read for me. Sadly I never really connected with any of the characters. I did feel bad because all she wanted was to save her mother. Which is really the only reason I kept reading. I needed to find out if in the end she got her mother back.
BookFiend
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I echo many of the thoughts given by other reviewers here. I thought the idea of the plot was a fresh take on the academy trope, though I have seen this done in other fantasy novels before.

As stated by others, my big struggle came from the RH element of the story. (view spoiler)
Megan
Meeting the Characters
Cassandra Turner
----------------------------------
What happens?
Clys Redbriar is the student going to Wraithwood academy. She is too weak to look after herself so she brings the hostage half sister who has more power than her. She gets Cassandra to go in her place to school and take classes.
Final thoughts
At the end of the day this is a YA attempt at a reverse harem and while
Billie
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not who you think I am.
My enemies aren't who you think they are.
Welcome to Wraithwood Academy.
The vicious, gorgeous Nightfeld brothers think they know me. Cly Redbriar, the weak daughter of a powerful father. A spoiled, scared little girl hiding behind
Orianna Blesi
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pleasantly surprised!

I was surprised by how much I liked this book. The concept was a new take on some old tropes, which I enjoyed immensely after reading the same books over and over again. I loved the characters, they were all complex and interesting and I want to know more about them. I also enjoyed how this wasn't a major cliffhanger. There was a definite ending that satisfied me (for now).

I have been extremely disappointed wit many authors recently for writing "bully romances" which is an
Nina Campbell
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Shadow Student by Teresa Hann is the first book in the Wraithwood Academy series. This compelling book begins as Clytemnestra (Cly )Redbriar arrives at the mage school Wraithwood Academy with her bodyguard Aegis and prisoner half sister Cassandra Turner. Cly immediately gets into trouble while attempting to bully another student and gets bullied and embarrassed in return by another set of students Acubens and Arcturas Nightfeld. Thus begins this amazingly complex and enthralling tale where t ...more
Jason
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
fast paced story about freedom and sacrifice

There are a lot of academy books on the market right now, but this one is a bit unique and I enjoyed it. Cassandra is put in an impossible situation and she does well. She is willing to make the hard choices when necessary.

I would’ve liked a little more interactions between characters and a few more pages. Love the fact that this story actually has an ending and no cliffhangers.

Spoilers: Can Cly and Aegis be that naive that they think Cassandra wouldn
Kayla J. ~ Master of Dragons & Assassins
Beautiful writing, but I felt nothing for the characters other than frustration. The romance is pretty much nonexistent the entire book and then pops up at the very end, leaving me feeling nothing for them. The mc is strong physically, but mentally she's a giant pushover and doesn't stick up for herself. She continues to make excuses for the people who treat her badly, ESPECIALLY her former best friend who is now her main betrayer. I kept waiting and waiting to see when she would finally kick al ...more
Raven A  Clarke
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was fantastic. A fantastic plot, fantastic characters and fantastically written. The humour in this book was amazing. I’m not a fan of bully to lovers romances but this wasn’t bad, yeah the bullying was awful but before all the bully occurs the story line shows why the main characters bullied ‘Cly’, it made it a little bit bearable. The description says “not left on a cliff hanger”, I have to disagree with it. Although it is only minor there is still a cliff hanger. There are answers t ...more
Mia LeNae
Witness me! Mad Max style

I... didn’t expect that from Darshan. The way he was written honestly led me to believe he had different tastes? But alright! Do you boo!! I am looking forward to more Acubens and Arcturus. Would love to know how they can help Wraith also. Cly deserved everything she got! I would have drug her by her pinkie toe across that bridge! And Cass I liked how hard she fought, more magic practice for her though. No more letting enchanted chains hold her. Can’t wait for more BAMFe
Shweta Beriwal
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An heir with no magic and an illegitimate daughter with outstanding powers at her fingertips. A rivalry between 2 great mage houses and a mother-daughter caught up in the middle of it all.

What happens when all of these meet together is a big bang of magic, mayhem and allies. This book goes beyond just the plot of the story, there are questions that pertain to every society.

This is a great series starter and one I thoroughly enjoyed reading. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

I
Laura Duval
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A world of magic

Solid 5 star rating.
The author created a storyline surrounding a school but filled with magic, budding romance, friendship and family.
You feel for Cass with how her life turned out. For Cly, I think she got off easy. I would have done more damage to her.
The author did an amazing job of character building for Cass and the boys, their interactions and emotions.
Arc and Wraith were interesting characters that I'm excited to read more about in future installations.
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Two faced

Magic, hot boys, and a school to become a badass mage? Too bad it was all a lie for Cassandra. Forced to use illusions to make herself look like her evil half sister, she has to put in hard work or risk her mother’s life.

I loved how calculating Cassandra was to trick Cly into letting her take her place. The author had plenty of twists in her tale and left me wanting more.
Lexy
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unique Story Line!

This story is a breath of fresh air compared to most. Once I started reading, I couldn’t put it down. I’m so sad about Aegis, because he is one of my favs. I hope he can be redeemed. And the main character wasn’t dumb at all! She was smart and badass when she needed to be, and cunning other times. I’m super looking forward to reading the next book!! I can’t wait!
Kat Quinn
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Time to learn about consequences.

Oh, I loved this book! Our FMC’s scheming, the different personalities and motivations of the men, the actual fact that they went to classes often and we learned about magic together, the happily for now ending....yup. All good. And two boy kisses! No smut, but certainly affection that I’m really all fuzzy about getting to see grow. There’s just enough sweetness to round out the rough.
Sean Heyrman
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
liz
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an amsome book about a girl who was a half human half mage illegitimate child. She is done taking crap and finds a way to finally stand up for herself. Don’t want to give a bunch away but you gotta read it. Cannot wait for the next book.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout.
Deneisha
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good!

I really liked this book! It was way better than I assumed it would be. Great storyline and I loved the ending. I'm surprised Darshan was one of Cass's love interest though. He seems great but considering his powers are weaker and he's a nerd, I thought he'd remain just a friend. I love how close they have gotten though. Can't wait for book 2!
« previous 1 3 next »
Teresa Hann loves libraries, dragons, and tea. A lifelong reader, she now writes the sort of romance that's always captured her imagination, with magic, adventure, intrigue, hidden depths, and fierce heroines who know what they want. She lives in the Midwest with her family and her excessive number of houseplants.