Start by marking “The After Days” as Want to Read:
The After Days

The After Days

Perfect for book clubs, this gripping dystopian twist on book club fiction about a woman who must find within herself the strength and ingenuity to endure a world suddenly without electricity is both terrifyingly real and astonishingly tender.

Middle-aged suburbanites Rachel and Zach team with their friends to battle not only the predators and scavengers who lurk around eve
Published July 10th 2019 by The AG Group

To ask other readers questions about The After Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The After Days

Dax Munro
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘In a world without power, you need the power of friendship and love to survive.’

Today’s review is for The After Days, by Amy Ginsberg. Although I wasn’t sure what genre this was, I feel like it sits on the fence between Contemporary Fiction and Dystopian Fantasy.

Can you imagine a life without electricity, running water, or any of the things we have today because of them?

I find it hard to, although I have been wondering what that world would be like.
Since reading The After Days, I’m beginning to
Mandy
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was so cool to read a book that takes place so close to where I live and work. I loved all the local references. Aside from that, it was quite a page-turner. I was invested in the characters early on. It really makes me think about what I would do in such a terrible situation.
Rachel
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I typically don't read dystopian fiction as real world events are enough, but I received a copy of the book from the author (disclosure statement) and found myself sucked in! The book is well written, characters well developed and the story definitely makes you think. It would make for a good discussion at a bookclub. Because of this book, I am more open to reading others in the genre, but first I want to see a sequel to this one to see what happens to the characters - that's have invested in th ...more
Mary
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book.

This book centers around four friends and how they handle the loss of electricity. It is so realistic, that at times you feel as if you are right there with them, trying to survive. I enjoyed reading this book and especially liked the bonding of the two females. Give it a read. You'll be glad you did.
Janie Howland
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Samantha
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too good to put down

This book was absolutely a page turner. I love that it’s told from the perspective of someone who is not out to save the world, but just keep themselves and their family alive.
Kathi
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A riveting book

A well written and believable story of 4 ordinary people in a worldwide blackout. Couldn't put it down. Highly recommend this book!
Pamela J.
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn in immediately and swept away by the story. Real Page Turner!
Elaine Plourde
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was one of the most realistic apocalyptic I've read in a while and believe me I read alot of them. The people and the situation were so real and not over exaggerated.
Carol Paxman
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Most dystopian books involve teens or young adults. It was nice to read a book that focused on someone my age surviving a disaster. Definitely a must read!
Bryan
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was OK

A totally plausible event leading to survival of the fittest. It wasn’t the best story I’ve read but it sure wasn’t the worst either.
Lori
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Well-written page-turner that makes you think about being better prepared for just your common garden-variety natural disaster or severe weather (let alone the possibility of terrorist attacks against our power grid). Ms. Ginsburg does an excellent job telling an interesting story. Highly recommend you put this book into your summer reading pile. You'll be glad you did.
Steve
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The After Days succeeds in filling readers of a particular variety (think book clubs, NPR, Whole Foods, lacrosse parents) with a special kind of existential dread because it portrays the collapse of a vital element of civilization in surroundings and among characters recognizable to suburbia dwellers. And it does so without resorting to zombies or aliens or fictional diseases. Recommended if you’ve ever wondered how you, your neighbors, and your neighborhood might fare in a small, slow-rolling a ...more
Lisa Fricker