Start by marking “Date Night” as Want to Read:
Date Night

Date Night

Returning early from a disastrous date night with my husband, I know something is wrong the moment the wheels crunch the gravel drive of our home. Inside, the TV is on and a half-eaten meal waits on the table. My heart stops when I find our little girl is alone in the house and our babysitter, Sasha, is missing…

Days later, when I’m arrested for Sasha’s murder and torn away
Published August 20th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Date Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Date Night

Maureen
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Well - you could have knocked me down with a feather! But forgive me, I’m getting ahead of myself, after being completely stunned by the ending of this one!

A date night - on the face of it, something that a couple should look forward to, something to be enjoyed. For Libby and Sean that means a meal at their favourite restaurant. They’d been having a few problems recently, after a note was left on Libby’s car saying that Sean was having an affair. Sean completely denies it and he arranges this ra
Dita
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Libby finds a note on her car telling her that her husband, Sean, is having an affair. Their planned Date Night is a disaster and when they get home their ordinarily quite responsible babysitter, Sasha, is nowhere to be found and Alice, the 4 year old, is by herself.

Libby is arrested for Sasha's murder and vehemently denies any knowledge of events but does she know more than she is saying?

This is a compelling story of secrets, lies and control; juicy and well-spun. It dragged a bit in the middle
Linda
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Someone has a date with fate.....

Hardly a sacred moment to rekindle that fire.

Libby and Sean Randell have been experiencing a lot of static in their marriage as of late. Both of them have demanding careers with Libby's gourmet catering business and Sean's on-call life as the local vet. They also have a lively four year old daughter, Alice, who loves spending time with Sean's parents on their farm outside of Great Lyne.

As Libby starts her car one morning, rushing as usual, she spots a note on the
Amanda
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Libby and Sean with their 4 year old daughter Alice seem happy together, although with them both working long hours their relationship has run a little stale. Libby runs her own business and Sean works long hours as a partner in a veterinary practise.

When Libby receives a mystery note saying Sean is cheating on her they agree to a date night to reassure her he is faithful,which ends up with them arguing as Sean’s phone keeps beeping as he gets numerous messages and he won’t say who they are fro
Babydimps (Suzy)
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Well, wasn’t that a pleasant surprise?! After fearing “genre burnout” due to my last read, I was understandably hesitant to start this one. My fears quickly subsided the moment I started reading. It had me hooked from the start and didn’t let go!

Date Night takes us for the ride of our lives and it’s EVERYTHING! Full of lies, secrets, secrets and especially SECRETS! Everything I adore in a psychological thriller! Twists at every corner that will keep you guessing all the way to th
Ceecee
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book started in an interesting way with the arrest of Libby Randell on suspicion of murder The story was told from Before the arrest and Now and there were a few occasions when I was a little confused but those queries resolved themselves as events unfolded. Libby was suspicious that her husband Sean was having an affair and Date Night was an attempt to patch things up and that was obviously the point at which things in their lives spiralled out of control. Some of the characters were likeab ...more
Louise Wilson
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Libby thinks that she has a solid marriage to Sean. Then one morning there's a note on her windscreen telling her that her nuts and Is having an affair. She confronts him and of course, she denies it. She doesn't believe him but they go on a date night for dinner to try and ease the tension. The date does not go to well, so they return home. But when they get there the babysitter is missing. Libby is arrested under the suspicion of murder.

This story is told in a dual timeline. One in the past th
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

Well color me surprised! Date Night by Samantha Hayes was frustrating to read, but completely brilliant!

What it's about: Libby and her husband Sean go out for a date night and leave their daughter Alice with their babysitter Sasha. But when they get home, Sasha is gone and Alice is upstairs sleeping in her bed. A few days later Libby is arrested, but she swears she didn't do anything. But why does no one believe her, and why did her husband give an additional statement contradicting what
Mark
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This book, for me, is all about the ending, which I hadn’t guessed at all ( I had thought of lots of scenarios leading up to the reveal, turns out all were wrong 😎😃😃 )
The ending is superb, what a psychological thriller really should be, a ‘shock’ moment and indeed if was!
But enough about the ending, to get to any ending there has to be a story.....
Libby and Sean are madly in love, they have their daughter, their businesses,,their little dream cottage, all is well
Until one day Libby finds a note
Mandy White
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, that did not play out how I had imagined at all …. gotta love that right! Date Night by Samantha Hayes is a book that I devoured in 2 sittings. It had me hooked from the very first chapter and I had to know how this was going to end. The ending blew me away - I doubt many people will see it coming at all. It is a quick read, with short chapters and plenty of twists along the way. If you haven't read anything by Samantha Hayes then you really should, you don't know what you are missing.

Libb
Tammy
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: release-2019
4.5 stars! A fast-moving psychological page-turner with surprise twists around every corner. Very good, loved the suspense!!
Everything’s picture perfect between Libby and her husband Sean until Libby finds a note on her windshield “Sean is having an affair..” Her husband denies it, but the seed has already been planted.
Immediately the strain of doubt begins to separate them. They set a date night, hoping to put things back on track, it’s a disaster.
Returning home Sasha the babysitter is missi
Nicki
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg,I honestly didn't see that ending coming,that was one hell of a totally,unexpected,jaw dropping twist. I was so shocked,I ended up sitting in my comfy chair,doing a very good impression of omg cat for at least five minutes.

Libby hadn't thought that her day could get any worse,first she had found a note on the front windscreen of her car,informing her that her husband Sean was cheating on her. Then a date night that Sean had organised ended up being a unmitigated disaster. Instead of repairin
Pauline
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Libby and her husband Sean arrive home after a night out in a local restaurant to find that the babysitter has gone and their four year old daughter is alone in the house.
A psychological thriller with so many twists and turns that I didn't know who to believe.
I always enjoy Samantha Hayes books and this was a really good read.
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Shalini
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kill me, kill me now... OK don't kill me. The book will do it for you. It raised my suspense to such levels that the adrenaline caused my heart to race, the pitch was high, and the beats were loud. That was the magic of Sam Hayes' writing.

Libby and Sean went for their date night, with Sasha as their babysitter looking after daughter Alice. A misunderstanding, a fight or two, the couple returned back to find Sasha missing. A few weeks later, Libby was arrested on the suspicion of Sasha's murder.
Lisa-Books Smiles
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Rounding up because of the ending. Full review to come.
Linda Strong
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Date Night is not going so well for Libby and her husband , Sean. Receiving a note that states her husband is cheating on her isn't real conducive to a romantic evening. Even though Sean denies there is anyone else, why does his phone keep pinging with texts and he doesn't even look to see who it's from?

Returning home early from the disastrous date, they find that their babysitter is missing. Their young daughter is safe in bed asleep ... but where has Sasha gone? She would never leave the chil
Michele
Just imagine for a minute that you find a note on your car windshield telling you that your husband is having an affair. How would you react? Then imagine that when you ask him about it, he is offended and brushes you off. Then, every time you try to bring up the subject again or anytime you ask who he is texting or calling, you are met with his impatience and frustration. Suddenly you are the "bad guy" because you have doubts...

Now all of a sudden, this person you used to know so well starts t
Tracy Frenette
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Date Night by Samantha Hayes
Release date August 20th 2019
Sean and Libby seem to have a happy marriage. Then one morning Libby is taking their daughter Alice to her mother-in-law's and Libby finds a note on her windshield. "Sean is having an affair". The note has been bothering her for a couple days now. So Sean and Libby decide to have a Date Night to reconnect and put the note out of their minds. Well date night doesn't go as planned and it leaves Libby more suspicious then before. They leav
Shelby
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Libby has never been arrested before, especially not on the suspicion of murder. Libby is left to wonder how on earth she got there? So we have to go back to the beginning, when everything began.

Libby was taking her 4-year old daughter, Alice, to school when she discovers a note on her windshield. The meaning of the note was straight to the point—her husband Sean was having an affair. Even though Sean swore up and down that there was no truth to that note, Libby remained suspicious.

To clear th
Susana
ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

4 stars

This book is about:

A woman named Libby who receives a note saying her husband Sean is cheating on her. After debating it with herself, she decides to confront him and although he denies it completely, she doesn't believe him and they go out for dinner on a date to ease the tension.

However, it doesn't go very well and they end up going home early and finding the babysitter they left their daughter with missing.

Now, in the presen
Joanne Robertson
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well it takes A LOT to shock me but believe me when I say that this WASN’T A TWIST THAT I SAW COMING! Yes, I have always said that I detest that particular tag line used by publishers as I always guess their “unguessable” twist but with Date Night I didn’t have a clue until it slapped me in the face! But I should have known that if ANYONE was going to be able to pull the wool over my eyes it would be Samantha Hayes. I’ve long been a fan and recommend her books to many readers who have never read ...more
Denise
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one seriously messed up psychological thriller/domestic drama -- and I mean that in the nicest way.

What it's about: A marriage doesn't sour overnight, but when Libby finds a note on her car windshield stating that her husband of 5 years, veterinarian Sean Randell is cheating on her, things start to fall apart quickly. She doesn't mean to be a jealous shrew. But that happens. He can't reassure her enough that it isn't true. In an effort to get themselves back on track, because Libby reall
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: August 10th 2019

"My thoughts are all over the place. Finally, my head catches up with the panic in my heart."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Bookouture in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Noriko
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, my gosh.
Quite frankly, I had been in two minds about this book while I was reading it, not completely swept up, but the ending – to be more precise the Epilogue – completely sold it on me. I had my minds and emotions completely messed up, I honestly can’t make of what I’ve just read.

To put it simply, Date Night is such a confusing, twisty, and a gripping read.
I must say I felt a bit disoriented in the first couple of chapters and had to read the same chapter twice.
First, we are fed with t
Rachel Gilbey
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well I definitely did not see that ending coming, I had some theories but they all had holes in them, and the actual ending is so much more wow, than anything I was thinking.

Written in such a way that you start thinking you have an unreliable narrator, and also not being completely sure what was happening at any point.

At all times it felt like there deliberate holes in what the reader was being told, leaving me to come up with many wrong theories, which is fun.

I really enjoyed reading this, i
Vicki Willis
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
This is a fast paced psychological thriller. The premise was great with a married couple going on a date night which doesn't go as planned. From there things become a nightmare situation. The story is told from the perspective of a married mom named Libby in 2 different timelines. She was annoying as a character nor did I like her husband or mother in law. There were a few surprises and the ending was unexpected. The chapters are short and the book is a page turner at times. I will definitely re ...more
Maureen
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Sean and Libby have a good marriage Libby thinks, until she gets a note that says Sean is having an affair. This novel was suspenseful, but it dragged in too many places. By the time I got to the end, I didn’t really care about any of the main characters. I was surprised by the ending however, so that made up for the rest of the novel taking forever to get to the point
Christina
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
Whoa. I just finished Date Night by Samantha Hayes! After picking my jaw up off the floor, I immediately did two things 1) mark it read, with 5 STARS (adding it to my favorites shelf), and 2) one-click purchased Ms. Hayes’ previous novels: The Reunion, The Liar’s Wife, and Tell Me a Secret. She has more, but that’s a good start. Now on to Date Night…

Libby is a content mom to five year old Alice, who is busy with her small catering business. She thinks she is happily married to Sean, until one ea
Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)
This book thinks really highly of itself but fell flat for me.

What starts out as "omg is my husband having an affair"...stays that way and I never was thrilled with anything.
The characters keep making choices that no one in real life would make and the police are dumb and don't really seem to care about the murder at all.
Not at all the thrilling story, I was promised, just dull and predictable.
Alexandra Zaytseva
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s been a long time since I read a domestic thriller. It’s been even longer since I read GOOD domestic thriller. «Date Night» by Samantha Hayes was the most enticing and interesting read of August so far.

This is a perfect example of a book with “now and then” writing style done perfectly! You might remember that I read «Lock Every Door» by Riley Sager in July, and I don’t want to compare these two books as they are completely different styles of thrillers / mysteries, but in my review I’ve co
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Hello!

Thanks for stopping by my Goodreads page!

I'm thrilled that my latest book THE REUNION is out NOW from all good online ebook retailers, as well as a paperback from Amazon. I do hope you love it!

If you love a good 'domestic noir' thriller that will mess with your mind and keep you turning the pages, then this one's for you! Here's the blurb...

"They were all there the day