Jump to ratings and reviews

Date Night

Returning early from a disastrous date night with my husband, I know something is wrong the moment the wheels crunch the gravel drive of our home. Inside, the TV is on and a half-eaten meal waits on the table. My heart stops when I find our little girl is alone in the house and our babysitter, Sasha, is missing…

Days later, when I’m arrested for Sasha’s murder and torn away from my perfect little family, I’ll wish I had told someone about the threatening note I received that morning.

I’ll hate myself for not finding out who the gift hidden inside my husband’s wardrobe was for.

I’ll scream from the rooftops that I’m innocent – but no one will listen.

I will realise I was completely wrong about everything that happened that night…

But will you believe me?

330 pages, Kindle Edition

First published August 20, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Samantha Hayes

26 books1,077 followers
Hello!

Thanks for stopping by my Goodreads page!

My latest psychological thriller THE ENGAGEMENT is out on 10th January 2023 from Amazon, available in ebook, paperback and audio formats. I do hope you love it!

If you love a good 'domestic noir' thriller that will mess with your mind and keep you turning the pages, then my books are for you! You can check out all my titles on my Amazon page here:

I do hope you'll love getting stuck into my books and enjoy reading them as much as I love writing them. And do let me know what you think - it's great to hear from readers! You can get in touch via my website where you'll find lots of info about me and my books - www.samanthahayes.co.uk or come and 'Like' my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/SamanthaHayesAuthor or follow me on Twitter too @samhayes or @samanthahayes.author on Instagram.

Happy reading!

Samantha xx

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
434 (6%)
1 star
158 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 595 reviews
Profile Image for Maureen .
1,294 reviews7,114 followers
August 14, 2019
Well - you could have knocked me down with a feather! But forgive me, I’m getting ahead of myself, after being completely stunned by the ending of this one!

A date night - on the face of it, something that a couple should look forward to, something to be enjoyed. For Libby and Sean that means a meal at their favourite restaurant. They’d been having a few problems recently, after a note was left on Libby’s car saying that Sean was having an affair. Sean completely denies it and he arranges this rare night out to talk things over in a nice relaxed atmosphere.

Having left their 4 year old daughter Alice with Sasha, who’s one of Libby’s employees and also a regular babysitter, they leave home, hopeful that tonight will put everything right. Only it doesn’t! They have a massive row and return home early to find that Sasha isn’t there, and Alice has been left on her own - fortunately she’s unharmed and fast asleep, but this is completely out of character for Sasha - she may be only 17 but she’s a really steady and reliable girl. All of her belongings are still there however, even her phone, the tv is still on, Sasha’s half eaten meal sits on the table, so whatever’s happened, it looks like it happened without warning, and that’s clearly not a good sign.

As details of what happened to Sasha are very slowly and tantalisingly revealed, you’ll find that not everything is as cut and dried as it appears to be, and that many of the characters will be caught under a cloud of suspicion, not least Libby, who’s arrested on suspicion of murder, even though the police haven’t found a body.

This is a deliciously dark and tangled web of burdensome and consuming lies, and deeply hidden truths. The characters, whilst not always sympathetic, are well fleshed out and mostly believable. The twists in the plot are convincing, and in some cases (as with the ending) well disguised and completely surprising!

*My thanks to Bookouture for my ARC, for which I have given an honest unbiased review in exchange*
Profile Image for Linda.
1,168 reviews1,212 followers
July 30, 2019
Someone has a date with fate.....

Hardly a sacred moment to rekindle that fire.

Libby and Sean Randell have been experiencing a lot of static in their marriage as of late. Both of them have demanding careers with Libby's gourmet catering business and Sean's on-call life as the local vet. They also have a lively four year old daughter, Alice, who loves spending time with Sean's parents on their farm outside of Great Lyne.

As Libby starts her car one morning, rushing as usual, she spots a note on the windshield. The words scrawled on the paper will forever change the dynamics of this family. The heaviness of the warning seizes at Libby's heart. Sean is having an affair.

Is it a joke by neighborhood kids or did someone place it on the wrong car? Libby bides her time, but eventually she confronts Sean who adamantly denies it. To smooth things over, they decide to go out to dinner at a local restaurant. A quick call to their regular babysitter, Sasha, sets things up for the night.

Romance and candlelight begin to fizzle on that arranged date night and the couple begin to argue and decide to return home. Upon opening the front door, their eyes tell them that something is definitely wrong. Alice is sound asleep upstairs and there's no sign of Sasha. Frantically, Libby drives through the neighborhood looking for the missing girl. Anxiously, they call the police. And now we readers will get a jolt of the electrical current traveling through this one.

Samantha Hayes delivers with Date Night. The story is told in chapters of Before and Now with the voice of Libby leading the way. Hayes fills the story with unexpected potholes and we feel the slam from each one. The scenarios presented roll back and forth and all around as we try to grab one that makes sense or offers adequate clues. This one is a slippery slope with no brakes......just like we like 'em.

I received a copy of Date Night through NetGalley for an honest review. My thanks to Bookouture and to Samantha Hayes for the opportunity.
Profile Image for ReadAlongWithSue .
2,636 reviews170 followers
October 6, 2019
This ticked all the boxes for me.
For a thriller...

Suspense✔️
Missing person✔️
Psychological thriller✔️
Unputdownable✔️

A couple with everything they needed, nice home, job, child, good marriage until......
𝐀 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐟𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫

What?!

So there plants the doubt and confusion.
Would you be able to ignore this entirely? Or would you sometimes read into things and wonder if it may be true.

So a date night is planned.
𝕭𝖚𝖙 𝖎𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖌𝖔𝖊𝖘 𝖜𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖌
Badly wrong.

They return home and their young daughter is missing.

Now continues with the reader having 𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂𝓸𝓷𝓮 under suspicion all the characters look dodgy.

The ending to this book threw me. I couldn’t have guessed this in a zillion years.
A masterpiece of a thriller.

I listened to this on audio and it was GREAT.

Profile Image for Louise Wilson.
2,628 reviews1,606 followers
March 28, 2020
Libby thinks that she has a solid marriage to Sean. Then one morning there's a note on her windscreen telling her that her husband Is having an affair. She confronts him and of course, she denies it. She doesn't believe him but they go on a date night for dinner to try and ease the tension. The date does not go to well, so they return home. But when they get there the babysitter is missing. Libby is arrested under the suspicion of murder.

This story is told in a dual timeline. One in the past that's told from Libby's point of view. One In the present that is told in the third person. The plot is thrilling and I was on the edge of my seat for most of it. It does dip a bit in the middle where the story seems to slow down a bit. I was hooked by this story from the beginning. It's got some tweets but boy,I did not see that last twist coming. What an ending. I have not read the authors other books but I will be adding them to my tbr list. I do recommend this book.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Bookouture and the author Samantha Hayes for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Bren fall in love with the sea..
1,536 reviews259 followers
March 3, 2021
Once it was "out there", once people knew about it, it would seem more real. Even though it couldn't possibly be.

Could it?

Date Night by Samantha Hayes

If someone looked up the phrase "oh what a tangled web we weave" there would be a picture of this book I'm sure!

Date Night was a book that I finished in just a few short hours. It is fast paced and is one of those twisty domestic thrillers that gets you involved from the start.

When Lib by and Sean have a "date night" out, they return to find their baby sitter has vanished..literally..into thin air. They call the police and the girl's family. Nobody c an find her and it quickly turns into a missing person's case. And guess whose the number one suspect? Libby.

Libby is already close to a breakdown..you see someone has been playing games with her..she has received a note left on her car and all it says is "your husband is having an affair". Sean denies it but is being very evasive and is getting so many calls and texts from unknown people..what is going on?

I enjoyed the tension in this book and as others have mentioned..there is a "twist". DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT FIGURING IT OUT. You will never be able to do so. It is for that reason this book gets a four. Amazing!

Some negatives..the story is very fragmented. It is at times jarring and very difficult to follow. But it all leads to the big reveal. I must confess I was thinking how on earth some of the things that happen COULD have happened. Do not worry. You will find out.

This is an excellent book to read if one is burnt out on books that do not deliver and just want something attention grabbing and quick. It is not the best domestic thriller out there but it does have one of the best twists I have ever seen.

Thank you Dita and Suzy for the great reviews of this book as they were what convinced me to go for it! As a result I had a great night of reading! Highly recommended for domestic thriller fans.
Profile Image for Suzy.
325 reviews202 followers
September 29, 2022
4.5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Well, wasn’t that a pleasant surprise?! After fearing “genre burnout” due to my last read, I was understandably hesitant to start this one. My fears quickly subsided the moment I started reading. It had me hooked from the start and didn’t let go!

Date Night takes us for the ride of our lives and it’s EVERYTHING! Full of lies, secrets, secrets and especially SECRETS! Everything I adore in a psychological thriller! Twists at every corner that will keep you guessing all the way to the end. Speaking of the end......one of the best finishes I’ve had the pleasure of reading. Trust me on this - even the sharpest super sleuth WILL NOT see this coming!

This is a good one my friends! Highly recommend!

Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture and Samantha Hayes for the advanced copy in exchange for my review.
Profile Image for Amanda.
710 reviews233 followers
August 10, 2019
Libby and Sean with their 4 year old daughter Alice seem happy together, although with them both working long hours their relationship has run a little stale. Libby runs her own business and Sean works long hours as a partner in a veterinary practise.

When Libby receives a mystery note saying Sean is cheating on her they agree to a date night to reassure her he is faithful,which ends up with them arguing as Sean’s phone keeps beeping as he gets numerous messages and he won’t say who they are from. When they return home their babysitter Sasha has disappeared leaving all her belongings behind!! Where has Sasha gone and why do the police believe Libby has killed her.

This book had me hooked from the start, it’s told from the prospective of Libby starting from the date of her arrest to the days leading up to the Date Night. There are lots of twists along the way to keep you on the edge of you’re seat. Love when you are reading a book and you really can’t see the ending coming and with this book it was an explosive ending.

A must read book to all psychological thriller fans.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a review.
Profile Image for Ceecee.
1,858 reviews1,372 followers
August 20, 2019
The book started in an interesting way with the arrest of Libby Randell on suspicion of murder The story was told from Before the arrest and Now and there were a few occasions when I was a little confused but those queries resolved themselves as events unfolded. Libby was suspicious that her husband Sean was having an affair and Date Night was an attempt to patch things up and that was obviously the point at which things in their lives spiralled out of control. Some of the characters were likeable such as Fran and Alice, I felt neutral about Libby as she needled Sean at times (although I understood why) and I disliked him as his behaviour was unpredictable to say the least. I was intrigued throughout as there were events in Sean’s past that were mysterious and his relationship with his father Fred was strained. All these questions were resolved in the surprising end of the story and all the contradictions in the Before and Now narrative were explained.

I thought this book got better and better as it went along. There were times when you genuinely didn’t have a clue what was going on, where was the truth as there were so many false flags. It was an easy read and I gobbled it up in one sitting!
Profile Image for Nazanin.
1,039 reviews588 followers
January 25, 2022
4 Stars

Sean and Libby went out on a date night (something had happened in a few days before; a trust thing to make Libby feel a bit insecure) and when they came back from the pub, their babysitter wasn’t in the house while their 4 years old daughter was left alone upstairs. Now Libby is under arrest and…

Alternating between Now and Before with unreliable characters and containing short chapters. Everyone in this psychological thriller has their own reason to be guilty. It’s a compelling read and the whole time I was at the edge of my seat. It’s fast-paced and the ending was unpredictable and I didn’t see it coming. Overall, it was a good read, and hope you enjoy it as well!
Profile Image for Helga.
818 reviews112 followers
March 28, 2020
4.5

There are secrets buried in the land

If you are a fan of genuinely good psychological thrillers where you are left dumbfounded at the end, then Samantha Hayes is the author for you. She has a way of telling the story that leaves you to guess what is implied. Her twists and shocks are not straightforward and that is what I like about her books. Like many authors nowadays she doesn’t assume the readers to be stupid and does not chew everything for them.

The story begins by Libby Randell being taken away in a police car.
We soon learn that she is accused of killing the babysitter who was taking care of their 4 year old daughter while she and her husband were having a date night out.
A date night that becomes a nightmare.

“I’ve done nothing wrong.” This is what Libby claims over and over again. But is she telling the truth? Can we trust her version of events?
Profile Image for Mark.
1,078 reviews
August 9, 2019

This book, for me, is all about the ending, which I hadn’t guessed at all ( I had thought of lots of scenarios leading up to the reveal, turns out all were wrong 😎😃😃 )
The ending is superb, what a psychological thriller really should be, a ‘shock’ moment and indeed if was!
But enough about the ending, to get to any ending there has to be a story.....
Libby and Sean are madly in love, they have their daughter, their businesses,,their little dream cottage, all is well
Until one day Libby finds a note under her windscreen saying Sean is having an affair......after much argeuing, denials etc the pair leave Sasha babysitting, to go on a ‘Date Night’ only to return to find her missing!
The rest of the story is told alternating from the recent past to the present leads up to the big ‘finale’ and this includes the usual array of lies and secrets all carried off by a sturdy cast, although have to say Libby at times ‘got me down’ with her ‘breakdowns’....the book cleverly opens up what really happened that night chapter by chapter and you are led along a ( false ) path, it really was a clever way of telling the story
The writing, as always, by this author was a breeze to read and you are immersed as soon as you start
I have to go back to the ending and again say for me the best part of this well thought out, rounded thriller
8/10
4.5 Stars
Profile Image for ABookwormWithWine.
1,347 reviews484 followers
August 23, 2019
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

Well color me surprised! Date Night by Samantha Hayes was frustrating to read, but completely brilliant!

What it's about: Libby and her husband Sean go out for a date night and leave their daughter Alice with their babysitter Sasha. But when they get home, Sasha is gone and Alice is upstairs sleeping in her bed. A few days later Libby is arrested, but she swears she didn't do anything. But why does no one believe her, and why did her husband give an additional statement contradicting what she's said about that night?

Date Night is twisty, surprising, and has an ending that I certainly didn't see coming. A lot of the book was frustrating for me because of Sean and Libby's relationship, and I don't think I liked a single character in the book. I am ok not liking characters though so my biggest issue was Sean and Libby. Libby wasn't a strong enough female lead for me but I know they can't all be strong! The plot of this book is what kept me going and it didn't disappoint.

Date Night was also a super quick read - for all you 'I like books I can read in one sitting' people out there. It took me just over 3.5 hours which is amazingly quick for me so for some people it might be even less.

Song/s the book brought to mind: Ghost by Ella Henderson

Final Thought: This was the first time I have read a book by Hayes and it will definitely not be my last! I highly recommend to people that love a good mystery with an unreliable narrator.

Thank you to the publisher for providing me with an advance review copy of this book via NetGalley, all opinions are my own.
March 7, 2022
Writing: 2/5 | Plot: 2/5 | Ending: 4/5

THE PLOT

Libby and Sean are out for date night, trying to rekindle their relationship that has gone off the rails since a note exposing Sean's affair was left on Libby's car. The return home from a less than magical evening to discover their beloved babysitter, Sasha, has disappeared into thin air. When Libby is arrested for Sasha's murder, she claims she's innocent. But how innocent is she for real??

MY OPINION

Another airport read. Read this because The Trapped Wife confused tf outta me but the ending was 👌👌👌.

One again, the ending was the strongest part of the book. The writing was haphazard and forced at times, but just when I thought I had it figured out, thinking this was a traditional domestic thriller, Hayes came through with a curveball. I'm not sure if how Hayes handled the subject was appropriate, but I will say, at least the motive was something new.

HOWEVAAAA, the plot was la poo because Hayes was going for unreliable narrator but really she was just lying. To be an unreliable narrator you need some underlying reason, maybe the character has a mental illness that causes them to be delusional, or if you're a lazy author, they're an alcoholic or hooked on pills. Libby was none of these. The author told one version of the story at the start and then was like SIKEEEE here's the truth 70% of the way in. I think switching between first and third person was an attempt at justifying all this boo boo... but once again, it doesn't work unless third person Libby is being recounted by a stalker third-party.

Anyways. For some reason I added another one of Hayes book to my TBR after reading this, so take my rating as it is. Her endings are the best I've read in 2022, even though the rest of the book is subpar.

PROS AND CONS

PROS: ending on POINT (a rarity these days)
Cons: writing is bleh, plot is confusing—but not in a good way like The Trapped Wife, unreliable narrator was a fail
Profile Image for Mandy White (mandylovestoread).
1,934 reviews483 followers
July 30, 2019
Well, that did not play out how I had imagined at all …. gotta love that right! Date Night by Samantha Hayes is a book that I devoured in 2 sittings. It had me hooked from the very first chapter and I had to know how this was going to end. The ending blew me away - I doubt many people will see it coming at all. It is a quick read, with short chapters and plenty of twists along the way. If you haven't read anything by Samantha Hayes then you really should, you don't know what you are missing.

Libby and Sean have a solid marriage - or so Libby thought. One morning she finds a note on her car telling her that her husband is having an affair. She confronts him and things are shall we say tense. In an attempt to make things better they go out for dinner and have a Date Night. Things do not go to plan here either and they end up arguing and leaving early. When they get home they find that their daughter is all alone and the babysitter Sasha is nowhere to be found. The police are called and the investigation begins. You will think you have this one sussed out but think again!

Thanks to Bookouture and Netgalley for my advanced copy of this book to read. All opinions are my own and are in no way biased.
Profile Image for Lisa.
1,182 reviews
September 14, 2019
This one did not work for me...but I see I'm in the minority (again!).

The characters really irritated me and some parts of the story were clunky and misleading (not in a good way).
I can cope with unlikeable characters but not weak ones.
I just couldn't get out of my head that if my husband spoke to me the way Sean speaks to Libby he would not be my husband...and unfortunately I just couldn't let it go.

The story itself was good but the characters/character interaction spoilt it for me.

Sorry but I was pretty disappointed as everyone loves this but me :(
Profile Image for STEPH.
210 reviews30 followers
December 27, 2021
Whoa. I'm stunned. What just happened?

So glad my wheel picked this book for me! I loved how the author played out the suspense and the bits and pieces of twists in it . Although, I kinda hoped the main character could have a little bit of fight in her, you know, she seemed too submissive and docile, like, "Girl, don't let them walk all over you, you're not a doormat!"

The ending really hit me like a train. I didn't think of that, I never would've guessed! I've tried to put the pieces together, the most likely scenarios playing in my head over and over and at one point, I thought I got it, I was just waiting for my theory to materialize then suddenly, it went the other direction! I liked that.

On the whole, this was a surprising and delightful read. The build-up was so strong I wanted it to last up until the last word so I would've enjoyed it more if the ending wasn't a bit abrupt. But, it was good. Not your typical Date night, I can tell you that much.
Profile Image for Pauline.
722 reviews
July 28, 2019
Libby and her husband Sean arrive home after a night out in a local restaurant to find that the babysitter has gone and their four year old daughter is alone in the house.
A psychological thriller with so many twists and turns that I didn't know who to believe.
I always enjoy Samantha Hayes books and this was a really good read.
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Nicki.
623 reviews2 followers
August 4, 2019
Omg,I honestly didn't see that ending coming,that was one hell of a totally,unexpected,jaw dropping twist. I was so shocked,I ended up sitting in my comfy chair,doing a very good impression of omg cat for at least five minutes.

Libby hadn't thought that her day could get any worse,first she had found a note on the front windscreen of her car,informing her that her husband Sean was cheating on her. Then a date night that Sean had organised ended up being a unmitigated disaster. Instead of repairing their relashionship,they had ended up having a massive argument and returning home in stony silence. Only when they got back to their cottage,they had discovered that their four year old daughter Alice was all alone and their babysitter Sasha had disappeared.

Days later,Libby is arrested for Sasha's murder. She insists that she is innocent but does she know more than she is letting on?

Where is Sasha? What really happened that night?

In this twisty tale of secrets,lies,families,control and manipulation,nothing is what is appears to be and when the truth is revealed it is shocking,chilling and heart breaking.

We witness events from Libby's perspective as she takes us through her life before,during and after the disastrous date night and her interviews with the police. Libby was a complex character who had some major issues due to events in her past. These issues caused her to be anxious and lack trust in Sean,so obviously she would have been very upset after receiving the note. Adding to Libby's problems was the constant interference from Sean's perfect ex wife and his domineering mother. But because we only see everything from Libby's perspective,the reader is never sure wether Libby's versions of events and her interactions with other characters are reliable of if she is cleverly manipulating the police and the reader. Many of the vivid,realistic characters were not very likeable but was there underlying reasons behind their behaviour and actions.? I loved Chestnut Cottage where Libby and Sean lived,the thatched roof,the old key that opened the front door,Libby's kitchen in the converted barn.

I love Samantha Hayes thrillers,they are always exceedingly well written,packed full of unexpected twists and turns gripping and enthralling and Date Night is no exception. The truth of what happened that fateful night is revealed gradually,the reader being drip Fed little hints and clues as the story unfolded before your captivated eyes. Another amazing,brilliant thriller from a very talented author who doesn't get the recognition that she deserves. Worth far more than five stars. Very Very highly recommended.

Many thanks to Bookouture for a arc of this book via netgalley in exchange for a honest review
Profile Image for Tammy.
867 reviews159 followers
August 27, 2019
4.5 stars! A fast-moving psychological page-turner with surprise twists around every corner. Very good, loved the suspense!!
Everything’s picture perfect between Libby and her husband Sean until Libby finds a note on her windshield “Sean is having an affair..” Her husband denies it, but the seed has already been planted.
Immediately the strain of doubt begins to separate them. They set a date night, hoping to put things back on track, it’s a disaster.
Returning home Sasha the babysitter is missing and their 4yr old daughter is in bed asleep.
Libby is arrested. The story then starts to reveal new clues to solving the mind-boggling mysteries between two timelines. What happened to Sasha? Who’s Sean having an affair with? Who wrote the notes? (Libby finds two notes alltogether)
Lies, secrets, and one family’s hidden cover-up you’d have to see to believe. And that jaw dropping revelation at the end, who would of guessed, tied all the pieces together brilliantly! I recommend to anyone who enjoys a DARK psychological thriller with mystery that has you second guessing yourself to its very end. 🖤

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Bookouture for kindly providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Lisa B..
516 reviews581 followers
August 24, 2019
3.5 stars. Rounding up because of the ending. Full review to come.
Profile Image for Selena.
478 reviews307 followers
October 31, 2019
I received a free e-copy of Date Night by Samantha Hayes from NetGalley for my honest review.

This book kept me up reading through the night. I just couldn't put it down. It kept me guessing till the very end.

Libby is happily married to her husband, Sean. She loves and trusts him with all her heart. Then one day, she finds a note on the windshield of her car stating that Sean is having an affair. She confronts him about it and he of course, denies it. Libby starts to get paranoid and is questioning her thoughts of her husband's honesty.

One night, they decide to have a date night. The hopes of spending time together and mending the questions and problems they have been having. When they come home from date night, the babysitter is gone and their daughter asleep in her bed with no one home.

They contact the police as the babysitter is missing and everything changes from that point on. So many secrets and lies that you don't know who to believe. A wonderfully explosive thriller!

Profile Image for Shalini.
2,477 reviews199 followers
August 22, 2019
Kill me, kill me now... OK don't kill me. The book will do it for you. It raised my suspense to such levels that the adrenaline caused my heart to race, the pitch was high, and the beats were loud. That was the magic of Sam Hayes' writing.

Libby and Sean went for their date night, with Sasha as their babysitter looking after daughter Alice. A misunderstanding, a fight or two, the couple returned back to find Sasha missing. A few weeks later, Libby was arrested on the suspicion of Sasha's murder. With such a blurb, what was I to do? I dove into the story and played a game.

Have you ever played Blind Man's Buff? I did, the entire afternoon, with the author's characters while reading this story. Each character, via their conversation, would tap me from behind, and once I moved in that direction, someone else would tap me from the opposite direction and I was forced to follow that. How would I know the truth if every chapter gave me a different hint? My mind was scattered.

But I couldn't stop reading. I felt surged by the plot line, swirling in the mini whirlpools that this author had created in the book. What was Sam Hayes doing to me? The story was told to me from Libby's POV, who was the most unreliable in the history of characters.

I did not know what to believe and which direction to look at in practically the entire book. It felt I was moving with the force of the current which was the entire prose. The confusion and my curiosity nearly overwhelmed me till the end revealed it all.

Sam Hayes has done it again. Killed it... With this book. And me too. I rose again to write this review.
Profile Image for Linda Strong.
3,882 reviews1,627 followers
July 25, 2019

Date Night is not going so well for Libby and her husband , Sean. Receiving a note that states her husband is cheating on her isn't real conducive to a romantic evening. Even though Sean denies there is anyone else, why does his phone keep pinging with texts and he doesn't even look to see who it's from?

Returning home early from the disastrous date, they find that their babysitter is missing. Their young daughter is safe in bed asleep ... but where has Sasha gone? She would never leave the child along. Her things are still there .. backpack, laptop, text books, phone. TV is still on. But no Sasha ....

Days later, Libby is arrested for Sasha's murder, although no body has been found. She tells them she didn't hurt Sasha .. but no one is listening to her. What did happen that night?

This psychological drama is told in Libby's voice. It starts with being arrested, and then returning to events leading up to date night. But is what she remembers what really happened? Turning to current events again, the ending is explosive ... and unpredictable. I never saw this coming!

DATE NIGHT is well written, full of suspense. Lies are wrapped around dark secrets. The characters are finely drawn, with no hint of what is to come. I thought I had it all wrapped up halfway through ... I couldn't be more wrong.

Many thanks to the author / Bookouture / Netgalley for the digital copy. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Profile Image for Tracy Frenette.
162 reviews18 followers
September 21, 2019
Date Night by Samantha Hayes
Release date August 20th 2019
Sean and Libby seem to have a happy marriage. Then one morning Libby is taking their daughter Alice to her mother-in-law's and Libby finds a note on her windshield. "Sean is having an affair". The note has been bothering her for a couple days now. So Sean and Libby decide to have a Date Night to reconnect and put the note out of their minds. Well date night doesn't go as planned and it leaves Libby more suspicious then before. They leave the restaurant early and head home, both them not speaking to each other. When they arrive home they discover the babysitter missing and their daughter left home alone.
From here the story takes on a wild ride and ends with twist I did not see coming. I gave this book 3.5/5 stars rounded up. ⭐⭐⭐
Thank you #netgalley and #bookouture for the free copy of Date Night for an honest review.
182 reviews10 followers
November 13, 2019
I’m so conflicted over this book. The first 3/4 of the book was really good and kept me hooked and I was desperate to find out what happened. The downsides to this book was that a lot of the book was confusing and so many different accounts of what happened had me unable to know what was going on and the ending of the book was absolutely ridiculous. It just felt like all the book had led up to that and it was such a let down. The characters were all horrible so there was no one you could root for. I did enjoy a lot of it but just felt so disappointed in the end because it had so much potential. I do really like Samantha Hayes books so will continue to read them. I’m just hoping the next one is better.
Profile Image for Michele.
1,131 reviews
August 21, 2019
Just imagine for a minute that you find a note on your car windshield telling you that your husband is having an affair. How would you react? Then imagine that when you ask him about it, he is offended and brushes you off. Then, every time you try to bring up the subject again or anytime you ask who he is texting or calling, you are met with his impatience and frustration. Suddenly you are the "bad guy" because you have doubts...

Now all of a sudden, this person you used to know so well starts to feel like a stranger. So, you go to dinner to try and find a way to reconnect and apologize for doubting him. Except, it doesn't go well...at all. So, you come home only to find your babysitter is missing and your child sleeping alone upstairs. What is going on? This craziness is what Libby is dealing with. Couple this with her husband's ex-wife who is clearly still interested in him and a mother-in-law who treats Sean like the world revolves around him and it all makes Sean a lot to deal with. On top of everything else, Libby is arrested for Sasha's murder several days later. At this point, the confusing timeline of events starts to unfold along with several twists and turns. Suddenly, Libby sees that she can't truly trust anyone.

I really enjoyed Date Night. It was a great domestic thriller/mystery. Every time I thought I had things figured out, a new twist took me down a different path to a new theory.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Namita.
494 reviews32 followers
September 16, 2019
⭐⭐⭐⭐ 1/2

Libby and Sean go on a date night to resolve their differences in marriage but the night doesn't go as planned and they end up arguing and leaving early. Things go bad from worse when they get home to find their daughter all alone and the babysitter Sasha is nowhere to be found . Days later, Libby is arrested for Sasha's murder, and although she insists that she is innocent no one believes her. She tells them she didn't hurt Sasha .. but no one is listening to her. What really did happen that night and does Libby know more than she is letting on ?

Date Night by Samantha Hayes is a fast paced novel with great characters and is an excellent psychological thriller with lots of secrets and twists and turns to discover that keeps misleading the reader. I thought I had guessed the ending but I couldn’t be more wrong and never saw it coming . Highly recommend!

I would like to thank Bookouture & NetGalley for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest and fair review.

This and more reviews at https://chloesbooksblog.wordpress.com/
Profile Image for Melissa.
545 reviews799 followers
September 13, 2019
Sadly, this book didn't work for me. I was confused for half of the book, everything was going anywhere, assumptions were made and refuted... I was so lost, I didn't enjoy how the plot unfolded. And this plot! It's something. Sooooo far from being what I was thinking. I'm happy to have finished it, though. I really wanted to know how it was going to end....

Many thanks to Bookouture for the e-copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Profile Image for Pat.
2,310 reviews384 followers
December 11, 2019
2.5 stars.

I feel like I'm about to front book reviewers anonymous (you know like AA, NA or GA only in this case I guess BA). Here is my confession - I am a Samantha Hayes fan and I didn't really like this book. It was OK, the story was OK but I just didn't like it much, yeah it was OK. Just. Sorry to all the fans but hey, I'm one of you. Except for this book.

Libby and Sean go out on a 'date night' to re-ignite their marriage after someone leaves a note on Libby's car saying 'Sean is having an affair'. No proof, no idea who left said note but Libby is instantly suspicious. Strike one. Then she faffs around being all cagey and trying (not very hard, mind) to find evidence but doesn't confront him straight away. Strike two. Sean is unsurprisingly confused. They leave their four-year old daughter Alice at home with baby-sitter 17 year-old Sasha - a student who also helps out with Libby's catering business. The dinner is a disaster, they fight and leave early. When they get home things are totally up shit creek and I can't say anymore. However, none of this played out the way normal people would play it. Strike three. But my biggest gripe was it was turgid, boring for the most part.

Libby comes across as almost batshit crazy, she is inconsistent and whiny and indecisive and, and, and... Sean comes across as a nasty piece of work. There's a mother-in-law who you know from the start also has a screw loose and all this talk of a secret. An awful, awful secret except nobody TELLS US WHAT IT IS until the almost anti-climatic finale. And the ex-wife, well she's and ex so she must be evil, right (cliche - much)? Its just not realistic. Oh, and let's not call the police straight away and let's pretend things happened differently than they did, no one will ever know right? Yeah right. Comedy capers central. If you're going for the psychological thriller genre there are some rules. 1) try to make it thrilling. 2) OK its fiction and readers should be able to suspend disbelief but hey - suspend, not murder, throw right out the window, cremate, destroy any semblance of reality. 3) try to make at least one character likeable. I could go on, but I'm over it. Ah well I had a few good ones recently.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 595 reviews