Start by marking “Consider This: Moments in My Writing Life after Which Everything Was Different” as Want to Read:

Consider This: Moments in My Writing Life after Which Everything Was Different

Renowned, bestselling novelist Chuck Palahniuk takes us behind the scenes of the writing life, with postcards from decades on the road and incredible examination of the power of fiction and the art of storytelling.

In this spellbinding blend of memoir and insight, bestselling author Chuck Palahniuk shares stories and generous advice on what makes writing powerful and what
Hardcover, First Edition, 256 pages
Published January 7th 2020 by Grand Central Publishing

Win a Copy of This Book

• Consider This by Chuck Palahniuk
    Release date: Jan 07, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win a copy of CONSIDER THIS by Chuck Palahniuk.

*NO PO BOXES*

In this spellbinding blend of memoir and insight, bestselling author

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 2866 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 17 - Jan 31, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Consider This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consider This

Start your review of Consider This: Moments in My Writing Life after Which Everything Was Different
    Lori
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I won this book from a great bookstore and am excited to read it because I’ve read fiction books by this author previously.

At only 20 pages in, I’m enjoying this book. Seems helpful in a practical not preachy way. One thing mentioned is not to let readers lose track of who is saying what. I would not have been able to articulate this as a reader, or not as well as he has, but I totally agree. I’ve read many books, including ones I really liked, where I couldn’t tell which characters in the novel
    Max III
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This might be one of the best craft books ever written.
    Herminia Chow
    Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    About the book: It’s part memoir and part writing advice.

First impressions: I love reading about writing, so I was excited to delve into this. I like the title, and the cover is clever.

Content: Palahniuk offers good advice, both his own and from other writers as well. He covers topics like tension, authority, plus much more. I expected the book to focus mainly on the writing process, but I loved the insights into things like doing book tours.

“What if world events are unfolding in perfect order
    Ross Jeffery
    Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What a fabulous insight into Chuck’s writing craft - so many useful tidbits of information, stories, examples, teaching - this has got to be up there with On Writing by Stephen King for all aspiring and current writers! Longer review coming to STORGY and I’ll update...
    John Shurina
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I remember a time when my writing halted because I realized I was trying, and failing, to sound like Palahniuk. That failure was important to my development because I realized that maybe I shouldn't be Palahniuk—that after all Palahniuk had covered all the bases of being Palahniuk. I believe that if you follow this book's rules perfectly, you might sound a lot like Palahniuk. There are certain tricks he teaches (e.g. unconventional conjunctions, template chapters, the infamous Chuck chorus) that ...more
    Chris Roberts
    Oct 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    A Chinese fortune cookie opened, its prophecy that this book will fast-track onto the remainder list.

Book lovers, discard generic Palahniuk reading fare,
    you will be taken beyond fortune's reward,
    the precious metals for readers who lay eyes on my words.

Joan of Arc didn't write books, she loped off heads in battle - that's badass. "Fight Club" is absent verity and replete with cartoon violence. It is a running joke in the book world. Suck better, bro.

#poem

Chris Roberts, God in Real Time
    Danni
    Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2019, nonfiction
    Lots of great, inspirational writing advice to be found here as well as interesting writing prompts. Palahniuk often uses the framing, “if you were my student…” and his voices really shines through.

Note that Palahniuk references his own books and stories a lot (including spoilers for Fight Club), so if someone's looking for a pure writing guide it helps to be acquainted with his work.

This small personal anecdotes don't give as much insight into Palahniuk's life as I hoped — but they do delve
    Tom Mooney
    Really enjoyable read. The writing tips may be useful, if you're I writer. I wouldn't know. But the stories from his days on book tours are absolutely priceless. Palahniuk's events unsurprisingly attract all kinds of oddballs and his tales about these interactions are bloody hilarious.
    thehalcyondaysofsummer
    Opening lines: ‘Bob Maull scared the crap out of me.’
    Brittney
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I have been waiting my whole life for Chuck Palahniuk to write this book. As a writer myself, I have the utmost respect for his willingness to push the envelope and to do it in such a stylistically sharp and unique way. To learn about his process and observations about what makes a piece of fiction work have sparked my desire to dive into my own writing in the most honest and fervent matter that I can, which seems to be his intention with this book. His vignettes about touring and his writing ...more
    Emmett Grogan
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
    Good, practical writing tips from an author who (let's face it) has had a crazy career (I can't believe the guy still goes out and gives readings, after some of the stories he tells "from the road".)

In some ways, I predict this book will be even more useful than Stephen King's "On Writing", because Palahniuk offers a LOT of concrete writing advice; in other ways, some of the advice he gives is weirdly specific to situations only Chuck Palahniuk would write about, and I don't think the world
    Taylor Adami
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This book really took me off guard. I’m a huge Chuck P fan, so of course I read it, even though I thought it was just a “how to” guide to writing. I mean, it is, but not the typical book you’d expect. Writing advise here, list on rules to follow there. However, this book engulfs you in Chuck’s life and takes you through his experiences of writing, while also giving you advice and prompts that you can follow. You really get to know the people in his life and how these experiences helped shape ...more
    Melissa Gerson
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    What could I possibly say about Chuck Palahniuk that I haven't been saying for years? Like the author himself, I hail from Portland. My teenage years were filled with a sony walkman and a Chuck book tucked in my backpack to read during math class. This book encapsulates everything that drew me to him when I first pulled "Choke" off the shelves of Powell's Books. You get the full sense of Chuck and his experience as a writer. As someone who spent the majority of the past 15 years reading his ...more
    Miguel
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Chuck compiles writing advice and shares stories about his writing life.

As a fan, this book is 80% materials I already read or heard elsewhere, which was a little underwhelming. But for writers (and readers too) that haven't seen all his talks and interviews and his essays on the craft, it will be very entertaining. It's packed with anecdotes and good advice on his minimalist writing style learned from Tom Spambauer.

There's a chapter toward the end where he rapidly offers advice on a lot of the
    C.C.
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I tend to read any "how to write" book that comes out from an author I respect and enjoy. This one delivers if you are ok with the blunt and raw advice that is found on its pages. There is no icing on this cake, just the raw ingredients that you have to figure out the recipe to make your writing work. I loved it.
    Penny
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Wow. Goddamn. I have no words for this book. It’s brilliant, but of course it is. It changed so much of what I understood. I have new knowledge to apply and I learned things. I am grateful for this experience. Wow.
    Bob Lingle
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The only thing that would make this book better for an aspiring writer, is if it came with a workbook.

Chuck Palahniuk delivers a raw look at the reality of what success looks like. He also delivers useful, and specific advice on how you can improve as a writer.
    Jonathan
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    One of the most enjoyable books on writing I've ever read. I'll be going back over this again and again.
    Matt Haynes
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
    A really good read!
    Timandra Whitecastle
    Can’t review now. Must re-read.
    Benny
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Chuck is one of the best storytellers alive. He could narrate the phonebook and you there, listening, waiting for the next line to hit you.
    Eric Hultgren
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Chuck does a masterful job of writing a book about writing that reads like a work of fiction.
    Gloria
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    He may not be my favorite writer, nor is his style anywhere near to what I typically gravitate, but this man knows writing. Solid advice in here to make one look at their writing with fresh eyes.
    Kevin Thomas James Atteridg
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    If you were my student, I’d question who gave me a teaching degree and then I’d make you read this book.
    Brenda Clark Thomas
    Wow!

This was a remarkable read. Maybe life changing for me. Awesome words of wisdom and advice—and stories that are too crazy to be made up.
    Michael Ferguson
    This is one of the best books on writing that I have read. Including Stephen King’s. Chuck gave great advice and told some funny and interesting stories.
    Ben Palpant
    Three stars for helpfulness. Two stars for crudeness.
    Van Edwards
    « previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Dutch House
    • The Family Upstairs
    • What A Body Remembers: A Memoir of Sexual Assault and Its Aftermath
    • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
    • The Water Dancer
    • Olive, Again
    • Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee
    • Nothing to See Here
    • Between Heaven and Hell: The Story of My Stroke
    • The Night Window (Jane Hawk #5)
    • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
    • In the Dream House
    • The God Child
    • Grand Union: Stories
    • True Grit
    • The Topeka School
    • When You Ask Me Where I'm Going
    Written in stolen moments under truck chassis and on park benches to a soundtrack of The Downward Spiral and Pablo Honey, Fight Club came into existence. The adaptation of Fight Club was a flop at the box office, but achieved cult status on DVD. The film’s popularity drove sales of the novel. Chuck put out two novels in 1999, Survivor and Invisible Monsters. Choke, published in 2001, became Chuck’ ...more