Start by marking “A Year and a Day in Old Theradane (Rogues, #8)” as Want to Read:
A Year and a Day in Old Theradane (Rogues, #8)

A Year and a Day in Old Theradane (Rogues, #8)

Welcome to Theradane, a city of deep magic, ruled by a council of eternally feuding wizards!

A city of opportunity, where bold dreamers brave the fallout from the wizard wars to make their living.

A city of sanctuary, where wanted criminals from all over the world can pay a fortune to secure a safe place for their retirement.

Amarelle Parathis, the Duchess Unseen, one
Published June 26th 2019 by Scott Lynch

To ask other readers questions about A Year and a Day in Old Theradane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Year and a Day in Old Theradane

Start your review of A Year and a Day in Old Theradane (Rogues, #8)
Sabetha | Aconite Cafe
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scott Lynch is a master of fantastical crime. To this day it surprises me when people say they love fantasy but haven't read his works. This as all his other books is a must read.

A hilarious, and captivating magical heist short story. Plus, yet another short story from him that I'd love to experience the series of.
David S Meanderings)
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was fun. Very whimsical and almost silly at times. Glad. I read it.
Don
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
short story that didn't even properly end.
jedbird
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's very entertaining, but it's not really a whole story. I don't know when this was written, but it's not up to the standard of the Gentleman Bastards. However, I would read more of it, should more of it ever become available.
David
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had read this when it originally came out in an anthology years ago, but picked it up again as a standalone recently.

It was even more fun the second time around.

Supernatural crime, violent magical politics, colorful and memorable characters, and a heist that boggles the mind.

It has more complexity and subtlety than it seems, and it was a profoundly fun read.

I know Lynch has more planned in this universe, and one recently came out in another anthology, so I am eager to continue reading about
L. Lawson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. Ebook.

First Lynch I’ve read. This was a swift story, collapsing months of activity into a single paragraph at times. I appreciate that pacing. I think Lynch tries to inject humor into his stories a bit too much. Some lines landed and others were very flat. The plot—a thieves guild steals a wizard’s locus of power—is interesting and sufficiently compelling for a short novella. I’m interested in giving Lynch another go after this story, so that’s something.
Jacey
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novella
A heist novella with a clever premise. In a city heavy with magic, Amarelle Parathis and her crew of supposedly retired thieves get into financial hot water and end up with a seemingly impossible task. They have a year and a day to perform the ultimate heist. They have to steal… a street. An enjoyable short read.
Claire
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A clever tale of a league of "retired" thieves in the magical sanctuary of Theradane. Their leader, Amarelle, slips up and has a year and one day to get the gang back together for the most seemingly impossible crime - or end up turned to stone. Oceans 11 meets Discworld
Quianna Archambault
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb as always

Scott Lynch is a very much under read and under appreciated artist of the written word. This tale may be short but is as innovative and well rounded as ever. I beseech you to read his work, you won't regret it.
Barbara
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
This only took me a day, not a year and day, as it was cleverly written and a whole lot of fun.
Michael
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Man are Scott Lynch's characters all charming as hell
Joseph Vanucchi
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good

I really liked this. Something about the author, he seems to grab the smoothest phrases with a complete lack of effort
Vicky
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good! Fast paced, humorous and so clever. I need these characters in a full length novel or better yet a series!
FrauMiest
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Re-read it today. It's still not just good, it's perfect. Loved every single sentence. Great reminder why I will wait for every new book of Scott Lynch patiently as long as it takes.
tadamspam
Nice trailer, but nothing more.
Katie
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.75 / 5
Oh man, I want more of these characters!
Ray
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A gang of thieves caught in the middle of a wizard war. A pretty unique story with plenty of character
Michael
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Scott Lynch or Fantasy in general
Recommended to Michael by: I am a big Lynch-head
Brilliant short fiction from a master.
Em Holbert
Mike Ray
Nov 26, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Lightning Tree
  • Roaring Twenties, (Rogues, #7)
  • The Rogue Prince, or, a King's Brother
  • Minor Mage
  • The Thief Who Went To War (Amra Thetys, #5)
  • A Pilgrimage of Swords
  • Tough Time All Over (Rogue, #1)
  • Bad Brass (Rogues, #9)
  • Made Things
  • One Man: A City of Fallen Gods Novel
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Bent Twig (Rogues, #4)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Diamonds from Tequila (Dagmar Shaw #3.5) (Rogues, #15)
  • Heavy Metal (Rogues, #10)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • For He Can Creep
  • The Book of Secrets (The Last Oracle #1)
I was born in St. Paul, Minnesota on April 2, 1978, the first of three brothers. I've lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area my entire life; currently, just across the border in Wisconsin, about half an hour east of the Twin Cities.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, my first novel, was bought by Simon Spanton at Orion Books in August, 2004. Prior to that I had just about every job you usually see in this