Start by marking “Eight Perfect Murders” as Want to Read:

Eight Perfect Murders

A chilling tale of psychological suspense and an homage to the thriller genre tailor-made for fans: the story of a bookseller who finds himself at the center of an FBI investigation because a very clever killer has started using his list of fiction’s most ingenious murders.

Years ago, bookseller and mystery aficionado Malcolm Kershaw compiled a list of the genre’s most
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by William Morrow

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 03, 2020
    “Clever and surprising. Eight Perfect Murders opens with a true mystery lover's delight, a killer seemingly paying homage to the classics. But you can ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 7450 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 01 - Jan 25, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Eight Perfect Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Perfect Murders

Start your review of Eight Perfect Murders
    Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
    Wow! What do I even say about a book that has rendered me speechless? This book is a thriller lovers dream come true. First of all, Peter Swanson won me over with The Kind Worth Killing and has never let me down since. I find him and Liz Nugent to be the masters of the dark, twisted thrillers. I often wonder how they come up with this stuff! Can you imagine their computer search history? The stuff that murders are made of!!!

Sooo with that being said, listen to this premise...absolute
    Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
    Guess who got the ARC?! Me!

Can't wait to read this one ASAP...
    Meredith
    Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    CLEVER!!

“Books are time travel. True readers all know this. But books don’t just take you back to the time in which they were written; they can take you back to different versions of yourself.”

A blog post written on eight mystery novels that detail the perfect murders becomes the blueprint for a serial killer in Eight Perfect Murders. This is a compelling, original, and intriguing read about the mystery genre.

When Mal, an independent bookstore owner, is contacted by the FBI regarding a
    Chelsea Humphrey
    3.5 STARS

"Do you want to tell me why you're questioning me?"

She unzipped her leather bag and removed a single sheet of paper. "Do you remember a list you wrote for this store's blog, back in 2004? A list called 'Eight Perfect Murders'?"

As an avid reader of anything that Peter Swanson writes, I couldn't wait to crack open Eight Perfect Murders. My first love affair with the written word outside of adolescence was with many of the books included on this perfect murders list, including Agatha
    Holly  B
    This one was a page turner from the beginning. (for me)

What a bookish tale!

A bookish narrator- Malcolm Kershaw

A bookish setting - Old Devils Bookstore

A bookish blog list - Going to have to read some of these and Strangers on A Train is one I own and will read next!

A bookish murder I guessed wrong!

Even a bookish cat! Nero (don't worry he fares fine!)

While I was reading, I never wanted to close the book! I was always intrigued and changing my theory. All I wanted to do was read, collect the
    Debra
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: edelweiss
    Calling All Bloggers!!!! This book might make you want to resist/reconsider/re-think blogging lists; such as, your top ten favorite books, top ten favorite movies, or as is the case in this book - making a list about "The Eight Perfect Murders" found in fiction.

Malcolm "Mal" Kershaw is a bookstore owner and mystery aficionado has found himself caught up in a murder investigation when a killer begins using his blog list about "perfect" murders and uses those as inspiration and begins killing
    JanB
    4.5

What a clever homage to the classic murder mystery! The author’s love shines through in these pages. Don’t come expecting a police procedural with the latest in forensic science. But come expecting to be thoroughly entertained. I have a particular love for the mystery authors of old like Agatha Christie, Rex Stout, and Ruth Rendell, and I binge-read most of them in my 20s. But modern day mystery authors, such as Donna Tartt, gets a nod too, so this book ticked all my boxes.

What could be
    Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
    2 and rounded up to a 3 for a good premise that went very wrong. Being a bookseller I always like books that take place in, about or around a bookstore.

O.K. finished this last night and I thought it was a big disappointment. It moved at a snail's pace, at least for me. It was at 70% on my Kindle before I actually felt the plot was picking up some speed.

Unless you read a lot of Agatha Christi and older mysteries and love them, I think you will get very tired of the mention over and over again
    Marialyce
    Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Having really enjoyed this author's The Kind Worth Killing, I was super anxious to take on this new story as it seemed to possess all the elements one loves in their mystery stories. It was quite the story and a bit of a cautionary tale for those of us who blog and make lists.

In this book, we meet a book store owner, Malcolm Kershaw, who years ago had compiled a list of the perfect murders found in various books, ranging from Agatha Christie to Donna Tart with many of the creme de la creme
    Paromjit
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Peter Swanson writes the dream novel for crime and mystery fiction aficionados as he pays tribute to the genre, with the ideal unreliable narrator in bookseller Malcolm Kershaw who runs and part owns The Old Devil's Bookstore specialising in crime fiction, in Boston, Massachusetts. Many years ago Kershaw compiled in his blog a personal list of the eight perfect murders in crime fiction, it comprises of Agatha Christie’s A. B. C. Murders, Patricia Highsmith’s Strangers on a Train, Ira Levin’s ...more
    Jayme
    Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Malcolm Kershaw, owner of the Old Devil’s Bookstore, in Boston once compiled a list titled “Eight Perfect Murders”.

He posted them on his blog, and now, FBI agent Gwen Mulvey has arrived at the bookstore, one cold, snowy night because she thinks there might be a killer out there, recreating the Murders from his list:

The Red House Mystery (1922) A.A. Milne
    Susanne  Strong
    Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: edelweiss, buddy-read
    3.5 Stars

A Rulebook for the Perfect Murder? Say What?!

When starting out, bookseller Malcolm Kershaw created a blog which incorporated best of lists. Who knew that his Best of List for the “Eight Perfect Murders” in Literature would become a rulebook for unsolved murders in New England.

Mal is now the owner of an infamous bookstore in Boston when the FBI comes a knocking, he can't help but be intrigued. When they ask for his help investigating, he jumps at the chance. When Mal realizes that he
    marilyn
    Malcolm, owner of an old school bookstore, has a story to tell. The FBI wants to interview him because of some murders and their possible connection to a blog post he made, listing the eight perfect murders in literature. Even if I hadn't read all the books, I'd at least seen the old movies that were made from the books so the plot of this story was interesting to me.

Malcolm realizes that the FBI suspects him of the murders that have occurred since he seems to have a blueprint in his blog,
    Faith
    Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: reviewed, edelweiss
    “...the cleverest, the most ingenious, the most foolproof (if there is such a thing) murders in crime fiction history.”

I loved “The Girl with a Clock for a Heart” and “The Kind Worth Killing”, but I was really disappointed by the author’s next three books. I was happy to find that I was immediately drawn into this twisty suspense novel and was definitely not disappointed by it. The protagonist is Malcolm Kershaw who owns Old Devils Bookstore in Boston. The store specializes in mysteries and it
    Ceecee
    Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Also entitled ‘Eight Perfect Murders’

Malcolm Kershaw is the co-owner of the Old Devils Bookstore (great name!) in Boston, Mass.. it’s winter and snowing very heavily. Despite the inclement conditions he is visited at the store by FBI SA Gwen Mulvey who is investigating a series of murders. Unlikely as it may seem, they appear to be similar to an Agatha Christie novel. Even less likely is the murderer echoing a piece Malcolm wrote for the store blog entitled ‘Eight Perfect Murders’ in which he
    Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
    Let me start by saying, I loved this book! I wont rehash the plot, but I really loved that Eight Perfect Murders was not just a thriller, but was also a book about books. Our narrator, Malcom, owns the bookstore that he works in, so he's reading and recommending books frequently, but the main plot of our novel is that murders are being committed in the same vein they were committed in eight different books. I absolutely loved that plot, and thought it was a very clever idea!

While other reviewers
    Tammy
    Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Swanson’s back with a shrewd, cunning, and crafty mystery. An independent bookstore owner, specializing in mysteries, becomes tangled in murder investigations based on an old blog post. There are nods to many mystery writers and their books as well as sly references. Are these perfect murders or a perfect murderer?
    Susan Johnson
    Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: edelweiss

This is a difficult book to review because I don't want to give a thing away. The surprises are what make this book so delightful. It is about a mystery book seller in Boston who one day writes a blog about the Eight Perfect Murders. They are:

1. The Red House Mystery- A.A. Milne
    DeAnn
    Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2019
    4 mystery book/movie tie-in stars

If you love mysteries and have read much of the genre, I think you will love this book. The featured narrator is a Boston bookstore owner, Malcom Kershaw. I did love the setting as I attended college in Boston, and I think Peter Swanson captured the atmosphere of it well. The book title refers to a blog post that Malcom wrote in his early days at the bookstore about eight perfect murders. I’ve only read one of those 8 books (ABC Murders), but Swanson definitely
    Abhinav Ka
    Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Let me begin with a confession - I am a Peter Swanson fanboy. I have been, right from the time I read The Kind Worth Killing. For me, there are thrillers and then there are Peter Swanson thrillers. I am sorry if this sounds like a heavily biased review. I am not a professional reviewer, but just your average reader, who was lucky enough to get an advance copy of Peter Swanson's latest, thanks to Edelweiss plus and of course, the publishers.

Peter Swanson's tales almost always involve an
    Esil
    Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: ew, arc
    A high 4 stars!

I was all set to give Eight Perfect Murders 5 stars but I didn’t love the end enough to quite get there.

But I loved the premise and most of the delivery. Malcolm Keyshaw is the first person narrator. He is part owner of a mystery bookshop. A few years back, he wrote a blog posting about eight classic mysteries with perfect murders. Flash forward, and he gets a visit from a detective who suggests that someone may have picked up on his blog to replicate the murders... From there,
    Barbara
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This is a clever book on a number of levels, starting with the basic premise: A bookstore owner, Mal, has written a blog listing 8 more-or-less classic mysteries featuring murders that Mal considers "perfect". The books aren't perfect, just the conception and execution of the murders. It now appears that someone is using the blog as a map to commit a series of 8 real life murders.

Given that premise, the narration has the potential for metafiction, ala Anthony Horowitz's Hawthorne series. Given
    Dennis
    Sadly, this story didn't resonate with me at all. The plot (a murder based on someone who's a fan of a bookstore owner's blog about murder mysteries) just seemed a bit too unrealistic. I did enjoy the way the novel was written, but overall was very disappointed.
    Leslie - MamaNeedsABook
    Malcom Kershaw lives a quiet life as the co-owner of Old Devils Bookshop in Boston, a relatively successful bookstore dedicated to mysteries. That is until a detective finds a link between open murder investigations and a blog post he wrote about - you got it - Eight Perfect Murders (in books). And now it looks as though the killer is seeking out Malcom as well.

Let me just say, this book made me feel woefully under-read. I added a bunch of Agatha Christie to my TBR list - as well as the rest of
    Holly
    Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A classic who-done-it. When bookstore owner Mal, is called in to discuss a murder, he is quite surprised to find that an article he wrote several years ago is the basis for the murders. The article, aptly named "Eight Perfect Murders", is being used to conduct real life murders. Mal sees the correlation but gets truly involved when the murders start becoming too close to home. This book did remind me of something that Christie herself would have written. There were some twists that kept me ...more
    Liz Barnsley
    Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Loved this. Pure Peter Swanson with a noir twist and an excellent premise. All the literary references gave me an even longer tbr list darn it

Fuller review nearer the time.
    Heidi
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
    “I’ve always felt that being with people, as opposed to being alone, can make you feel loneliness more acutely.” (Peter Swanson just “gets” us introverts!)

The thing I love most about Peter Swanson’s novels is that they are so wicked! Even though most of his main characters lack a “normal” moral compass, they always remain somewhat likeable. What does that say about me as a reader? I’m not sure if I want to delve too deeply into this, but his stories are always immensely entertaining.

Every book
    KC
    Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
    3.75 stars. Malcolm Kershaw, the proprietor of a Boston bookshop which specializes in mysteries, is visited by FBI Agent Gwen Mulvey in search of his literary assistance. Agent Mulvey believes that a string of murders is quite possibly linked to an old blog post written by Kershaw revealing eight perfect murders in the mystery genre. This suspenseful fast paced tale will have mystery book lovers rejoicing. For fans of the Hawthorne series by Anthony Horowitz.
    Patty
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
    By
    Peter Swanson

What it's all about...

Eight perfect murders are plotted and and committed by a very clever former mystery lover. An FBI agent just happens to wander upon this issue and tracks down the person who initiates this list.

Why I wanted to read it...

I love every Peter Swanson book that he has ever written however this was my least favorite one. I think it was the list aspect of it.

What made me truly enjoy this book...

I did like all of the book suggestions, though,
    Nicole
    Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This was a really interesting and clever thriller. Not like anything I have read previously.

This book is told in a memoir format. You follow Malcom as he is visited by a detective one day, who is concerned that someone is copying a list that he wrote of eight perfect murders in crime and mystery books, someone is bringing those murders to life and Malcom needs to find out who.

I've not read a book like this before. It is essentially a crime book about crime books. It is very clever and
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Mr. Nobody
    • He Started It
    • The Other People
    • The Return
    • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
    • No Bad Deed
    • In Five Years
    • Saint X
    • My Dark Vanessa
    • The Familiar Dark
    Peter Swanson is the author of six novels including The Kind Worth Killing, winner of the New England Society Book Award, and finalist for the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger, Her Every Fear, an NPR book of the year, and his most recent thriller, Eight Perfect Murders. His books have been translated into 30 languages, and his stories, poetry, and features have appeared in Asimov’s Science Fiction, ...more