Start by marking “Eight Perfect Murders” as Want to Read:

Eight Perfect Murders

From the hugely talented author of Before She Knew Him comes a chilling tale of psychological suspense and an homage to the thriller genre tailor-made for fans: the story of a bookseller who finds himself at the center of an FBI investigation because a very clever killer has started using his list of fiction’s most ingenious murders.

Years ago, bookseller and mystery aficiona
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by William Morrow

Availability: 100 copies available, 3580 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 02 - Oct 30, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Eight Perfect Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Perfect Murders

Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
    Wow! What do I even say about a book that has rendered me speechless? This book is a thriller lovers dream come true. First of all, Peter Swanson won me over with The Kind Worth Killing and has never let me down since. I find him and Liz Nugent to be the masters of the dark, twisted thrillers. I often wonder how they come up with this stuff! Can you imagine their computer search history? The stuff that murders are made of!!!

Sooo with that being said, listen to this premise...absolute
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Sep 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Recommended to Chelsea by: Jamie beauty_andthebook_
    Shelves: from-publisher
    "...a chilling tale of psychological suspense and an homage to the thriller genre tailor-made for fans: the story of a bookseller who finds himself at the center of an FBI investigation because a very clever killer has started using his list of fiction’s most ingenious murders."

I... I feel so seen.

description

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
    Faith
    Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: edelweiss, reviewed
    “...the cleverest, the most ingenious, the most foolproof (if there is such a thing) murders in crime fiction history.”

I loved “The Girl with a Clock for a Heart” and “The Kind Worth Killing”, but I was really disappointed by the author’s next three books. I was happy to find that I was immediately drawn into this twisty suspense novel and was definitely not disappointed by it. The protagonist is Malcolm Kershaw who owns Old Devils Bookstore in Boston. The store specializes in myster
    Abhinav Ka
    Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Let me begin with a confession - I am a Peter Swanson fanboy. I have been, right from the time I read The Kind Worth Killing. For me, there are thrillers and then there are Peter Swanson thrillers. I am sorry if this sounds like a heavily biased review. I am not a professional reviewer, but just your average reader, who was lucky enough to get an advance copy of Peter Swanson's latest, thanks to Edelweiss plus and of course, the publishers.

Peter Swanson's tales almost always involve an unreliab
    Patty
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
    By
    Peter Swanson

What it's all about...

Eight perfect murders are plotted and and committed by a very clever former mystery lover. An FBI agent just happens to wander upon this issue and tracks down the person who initiates this list.

Why I wanted to read it...

I love every Peter Swanson book that he has ever written however this was my least favorite one. I think it was the list aspect of it.

What made me truly enjoy this bo
    Angela Groom
    Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: edelweiss
    Peter Swanson what a book you’ve wrote. This book had me from the first chapter and it wouldn’t let me go. What a page turner, what a ride into Malcolms world of books.

Kershaw is a book store owner who has read and loved murder mystery’s from a young age and wrote a blog years ago about “Eight Perfect Murders”
    that are almost impossible to crack.
    Chosen from among the very best are Agatha Christie’s A,B,C murders, Patricia Highsmith’s Stangers on a train, Ira Levin’s Death trap, AA Milne’s
    amanda
    Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Trigger warnings: Sexual abuse and drug abuse

“I don’t know what the fuck a blog even is,” Marty said.

The goddesses have blessed us with another GREAT mystery thriller you guys!

ABOUT MURDER!!!

Now…I grew up on Law & Order, CSI, and all of those police and detective and murderous shows.

I absolutely love true crime and listen to the podcasts. My Favorite Murder, And That’s Why We Drink, etc…I learned fast and hard that…there is no perfect murder. Lmao, it’s daclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
    ABOUT
    Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: e-arcs
    Eight Perfect Murders is centered around a blog post the co-owner of a specialty bookstore wrote shortly after the store opened. To be clear, they're perfect literary murders, not necessarily translatable to the real world, nor are they murders from the main character's favourite books.
    The book reads a bit like a listicle come to life - much of the page time is given over to descriptions of specific editions of the books in the list, reactions to the book plot, comparisons between the book
    Natalie (Natflix&Books)
    Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: edelweiss
    Sometimes I'll read the first chapter or so of a new arc to see if I'll enjoy it when its time comes. Most of the time, I'll set it aside after that first chapter, but sometimes I get so sucked in I can't put it down. That's what happened with this one. I wasn't at all familiar with this author when I picked this up. I now have his backlog on order at the library.

Full review to come, but I really, really liked this.
    Katie
    Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Read it in one day. A gripping thriller. Loved it.
    Melissa
    Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: edelweiss
    I requested this book based on the author and the synopsis I read on Edelweiss. And it did not disappoint! This book captured me right from the get-go. It was interesting how the story was told by Malcolm Kreshaw, but it was written like he was speaking to you (the reader) directly. I haven't read many books like that and I rather enjoyed it. Malcolm is a book store owner who is contacted by a FBI agent named Gwen Mulvey who is trying to connect some murders around Boston to a list called "Eight ...more
    Whirlwind Book
    Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Mystery readers are often in a class alone. They love to delve into the plot, look for hidden subtleties, discover possible motivations, and attempt to stay a step ahead of the author in their analyzations. Mystery bookseller Malcolm Kershaw is no different; when he’s approached by an FBI Agent because a serial killer is using a perfect murder list he wrote for his bookstore blog, he opens his own investigation. What follows is a swan dive into a shadowy world that has him doubting even his own ...more
    Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2019-mt-bookpile
    Just enough twists and red herrings to make me not completely guess the "who" part, although the answer was one of my minor, barely possible guesses. I loved the references to older mysteries, some of which I knew and some are now on my "need to read soon" list. The biggest drawback was that throughout most of the book I was mentally yelling at Malcolm to just sit back and let things unfold. There were moments when this reminded me of the recent Anthony Horowitz mysteries, with that slight air of s ...more
    Michael
    Oct 20, 2019 is currently reading it
    Shelves: peter-swanson
    "The thing is, and maybe I'm biased by all those years I've spent in fictional realms built on deceit, I don't trust narrators any more than I trust the actual people in my life. We never get the whole truth, not from anybody. When we first meet someone, before words are ever spoken, there are already lies and half-truths. The clothes we wear cover the truth of our bodies, but they also present who we want to be to the world. They are fabrications, figuratively and literary." p. 82
    Sherry
    Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This cat and mouse game between Mal and the FBI agent who's found an old blog he wrote called Eight Perfect Murders based on eight different books and who believes the list is linked to a real murder is another total page-turner from Peter Swanson. Definitely recommend.
    Tracie
    Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Swanson’s best yet is a love letter to his favorite mystery writers, and a complete delight for mystery readers. Filled with Easter eggs from classic and pulp-y mysteries, to solve the murders you’ll have to reach back into your own reading life! Loved it.
    VL
    Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Love, love Peter Swanson.
    Allie
    Joey Welsh
    Sep 25, 2019
    Stacie
    Oct 20, 2019
    Peter Swanson is the author of four novels: The Girl With a Clock For a Heart, an LA Times Book Award finalist; The Kind Worth Killing, winner of the New England Society Book Award, and finalist for the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger; Her Every Fear, an NPR book of the year; and his most recent, All the Beautiful Lies. His books have been translated into 30 languages, and his stories, poetry, and fe ...more