Start by marking “A World Without Work: Technology, Automation, and How We Should Respond” as Want to Read:
A World Without Work: Technology, Automation, and How We Should Respond

A World Without Work: Technology, Automation, and How We Should Respond

From an Oxford economist, a visionary account of how technology will transform the world of work, and what we should do about it

From mechanical looms to the combustion engine to the first computers, new technologies have always provoked panic about workers being replaced by machines. For centuries, such fears have been misplaced, and many economists maintain that they

Published January 14th 2020 by Metropolitan Books

To ask other readers questions about A World Without Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A World Without Work

Start your review of A World Without Work: Technology, Automation, and How We Should Respond
Kim
Jan 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
Didn't finish, but didn't take long before I was disturbed by not entirely subtle white nationalist themes? Yikes. After I started worrying there was a theme (author has a big love for Western Europe, protected property rights, German efficiency ...), it didn't take many pages before "rule of law" got trotted out. If you're not sure how that's related, it's time to look up dog whistles and "rule of law."

This man is in a position of power at Oxford University and probably has at least some power
Lisa Wright
Technological unemployment isn't just coming, it is here now. Manufacturing jobs have been lost to automation and countless others have fallen to algorithms and apps and a need for cheaper and faster everything. The question is not how to stop it, but how to adapt to this unstoppable change. Susskind has written an accessible, important book. For fans of Yuval Harari and anyone who expects to keep living through the next few decades.
Nils
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Automation and AI mean that the problems of scarcity are being replaced with problems of inequality, concentrated political power, and questions of purpose and identity.

The book in the end wishes to defy Leontief’s fears that humans will go the way of horses, rendered obsolete by machinery.

Nicely balanced realism about the radical transformations in store without succumbing to either fantasies of technoutopian cornucopia or to the dystopian dread of mass exclusion. In the end, Sussking rightly
Amanda Youngs
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a book about economics - for me that was always going to make it a bit on the dry side. Having said that, though, it was well-written, surprisingly entertaining and very thought-provoking.
Paul
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a little tough to review for me because almost no one is good at predicting the future. At the same time the author does an excellent job presenting his case that we may work less and differently. He does this with excellent research and stories and cases, and presents the large amount of info in interesting ways. This is obviously a brilliant man, so I take his case seriously, But I refer back to my first sentence.... This is interesting reading if only for the history lessons. ...more
Ietrio
Jan 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
Another academic leech who is not content with how much tax money the state is pushing his way and gets a second job as a fear monger. Welcome the academic prophet.
Benedikt
Johannes
Jan 11, 2020
Neil James
Sep 18, 2019

• Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Triggers: How We Can Stop Reacting and Start Healing
  • Where Have All The Elves Gone?
  • The Augmented Man
  • The Warrior Heart Practice: A Simple Process to Transform Confusion into Clarity and Pain into Peace
  • The Beginner's Guide to Stoicism: Tools for Emotional Resilience and Positivity
  • Buy Yourself the F*cking Lilies: And Other Rituals to Fix Your Life, from Someone Who's Been There
  • Ancient Teachings for Modern Times: The Way to a Rich and Deeply Satisfying Life
  • All's Well: Where Thou Art Earth and Why
  • Earth Almanac: Wondrous Details of the Natural World and Why They Matter
  • The Longing for Less: Living with Minimalism
  • The Hidden Universe: An Investigation Into Non-Human Intelligences
  • Terminal Black (Harry Tate #6)
  • The Lost Queen: The Life & Tragedy of the Prince Regent's Daughter