Start by marking “Understanding and Dismantling Racism: The Twenty-First Century Challenge to White America” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Brandt traces the history of racism, especially in white America, revealing its various personal, institutional and cultural forms. He offers specific, positive ways in which people in all walks of life can work to bring racism to an end.
Published September 1st 2007 by Fortress Press

To ask other readers questions about Understanding and Dismantling Racism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding and Dismantling Racism

Ellen Gail
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The author is my great-uncle so I'm admittedly biased, but I still think he writes well. Good book written by a good dude.
Jaime
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a painful read for me. (White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant Male). Worth every tear.
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Good information but reads like a dissertation. Would benefit from more stories!
Tim
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I learned a lot and was challenged to think deeply about the challenges we continue to face as people striving for equal opportunity across races in the US.
Larissa
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Had very good frameworks that distinguished between institutionalized racism and personal racism, something I've struggled to explain well in the past. This wasn't the most well written book and lots of it was repetitive without many examples, but overall it significantly enhanced and changed my viewpoint on racism in America today.
Katie
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a hard pill to swallow but it is life changing. It is hard to accept some of the author's ideas but it is an eye opening way to look at racism and how it is manifested in today's society.
Rocky
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is written by a reverend and he does write about things in an interesting way (good vs evil) but if you can get through his writing style he actually presents a one of the best frameworks for confronting institutional racism. The author came to our reading group and lives in watsonville.
Josh
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, print
I became interested in antiracism last year and I was wanting a book that would help me sort out some of my thoughts. This book was exactly what I needed.
Hey Sailor!
Peter as Jami, "I agree with all the things you are saying, but if this is going to be the white guilt hour I'm out of here."
Janelle Rivers
Jul 27, 2010
Martina
Apr 24, 2017
Crazyarms777
rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2018
Danielle
Jan 22, 2009
Emily Campbell
Dec 06, 2017
“During the colonial years of our nation, racism was perpetrated in the form of two unspeakably horrible and devastatingly evil activities-the genocide of indigenous peoples and the enslavement of African peoples.” 1 likes
“From the moment of independence from Britain, the United States was intentionally designed with a racial hierarchy dominated by the white race.” 0 likes