Start by marking “Chasing Echoes” as Want to Read:
Chasing Echoes

Chasing Echoes

A heartfelt tale about dysfunctional family dynamics, the ghosts of war and what brings us back together.

Malka, the black sheep of her family, learns that her relatives are making a decades-in-the-planning pilgrimage to their grandfather’s pre-Holocaust home in Poland...and she wasn’t invited. After guilt-tripping herself a ticket as the self-appointed “Keeper
Published November 12th 2019 by Humanoids

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Echoes

Start your review of Chasing Echoes
Chad
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, edelweiss
This is what I love about comics. You can pick up something totally on a whim without knowing anything about it and absolutely adore it. Chasing Echoes is the story of an extended (and dysfunctional) Jewish American family trying to track down their roots in Poland. Most of their relatives and history were wiped out by the Holocaust. Now they only have some stories from their grandfather and a few old pictures to go by. Malka is the black sheep of the family. Her life is in complete disarray and her c ...more
Ije the Devourer of Books
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Bloom family are Jewish and they travel to Poland from the US and Israel in order to find the flour mill their family owned before the Nazi's invaded Poland.

By the end of World War Two many of their family members had been murdered by the Nazis and so the family of Aunts, Uncles, siblings and cousins travel together to seek the past.

Malka is the black sheep of the family. Although she has a Phd she is a divorced single parent struggling to bring up her two children. Initially e
Mo
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC given by NetGalley for Honest Review
[3.5 Stars]

Chasing Echoes by Dan Goldman follows Malka, a dysfunctional single parent and family archivist, who gets a last minute invitation on her family's trip to find a family mill from the past. Malka's family is ... unlikeable to say the least and they judge Malka for her shortcomings throughout the story. I find that this made me, as a reader, empathize with Malka as well as root for her honor throughout. Goldman does a good job of depicting true feelings/>[3.5
chloe ^-^
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel, e-arc
2.5

I was very intrigued by the premise of this book. I haven't even found any graphic novels just quite like it.

First of all, the drawing style was not my favorite I've ever seen. I have read other books that have had a similar drawing style, but I looked past it and they still are some of my favorites based off the plot. This one didn't fit that.

As someone who has gone on a Holocaust trip similar to the characters in the story, I thoroughly enjoy being able to see the comparisons
Elia
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I guess the moral of this story is: "family is the absolute WORST but they're still family so I guess you have to put up with their bullshit because what else are you going to do."
Malka is the designated family screw-up. Even though she is highly educated, she is a hot mess with no job, no place to live, and has just lost custody of her son because even he can't take her drama anymore. When she guilts her way on a family trip to rediscover their Jewish roots in Poland, she ends up discover
Ana
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was initially concerned about the swearing and Malka's lifestyle, but it soon became apparent that it was part of the story. I would not recommend it for younger children, I would say mature teens and up.
This book tells the story of a Jewish family who sets out to find their ancestor's home city and the flour mill he owned. Along the way, they discover many things about each other, Ashkenazi Jewish history, and the present state of antisemitism in Eastern Europe. I do not read too many graphi
Rebecca Russell
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd give it probably a 3.75. As a family historian, I loved the premise, but the execution was a bit wanting. I didn't love how much of a mess he made the main character. It's one thing to make her family's concerns reasonable, but it's another to make her a total caricature. Otherwise I thought it was great. Illustrations were decent, at least not distracting if not unique. I loved the family dynamic and the history and the honesty.
Christen
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
It doesn't take long for you to get a feel for how the Bloom family assembles into their obviously well-worn tracks of their own family drama. Their disfunction sets up a good back drop for the heavy topic of the Holocaust and intolerance for Jews that still exists today. The art style is pleasantly realistic and helps draw you in to the story.
M
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
A slice of life story told through different points of view in the Bloom family. Everyone has sorrows and difficulties they are trying to face. At the same time, the family is working together to find their family home that was lost to them during the holocaust. There is humor, sadness, existential crises, joy, and love of family. Well done art takes you back and forth in time with ease, and keeps you interested in the story along with the words.
Andréa
Note: I received an ARC sample from the publisher at ALA Annual 2019.
Elisabeth
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn’t love this as much as i wanted to. I liked the illustrations but the story line didn’t captivate me.
Kasey Gilbert Poindexter
Hilary Nelson
Kim Ellis
Tina
Oct 26, 2019
Dan Goldman is a writer, artist and activist working in graphic novels, animated TV, video games and digital media.

Raised in South Florida, Dan was a founding member of the ACT-I-VATE webcomics collective in Brooklyn, launching the careers of many creators (including his own). In 2006, SHOOTING WAR, his serialized dystopian satire of the War on Terror was nominated for an Eisner Award.