Start by marking “Hoja de sangre (Hoja de sangre, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hoja de sangre (Hoja de sangre, #1)

Hoja de sangre

(Bloodleaf #1)

Aurelia es la primera princesa nacida en Renalt después de doscientos años, y su destino es casarse con Valentin, el príncipe de Achleva —y mayor enemigo de su casa— para asegurar la paz entre ambos reinos.

Pero los rumores de un príncipe enfermo y cruel no cesan, y lo único que eclipsa la aprensión de Aurelia hacia su inminente matrimonio es el temor a aquellos que la
Published September 6th 2019 by Océano Gran Travesía (first published March 12th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Hoja de sangre, please sign up.
Crystal Smith Capturing the exhilarating/terrifying/heartbreaking experiences of young love is one of my favorite things about writing (and reading) YA! As it is…moreCapturing the exhilarating/terrifying/heartbreaking experiences of young love is one of my favorite things about writing (and reading) YA! As it is such a common component of growing up and the human experience overall, it is now and will likely remain a prevalent theme in YA. That's not to say there isn't fantastic non-romantic YA out there (there definitely is! See Rosaria's link) but my advice is, if you can't find the book you want to read, go write it! There may be someone else out there waiting for it, too. :)(less)
Crystal Smith I'd give it a PG-13 rating, but more for bloodshed and loss and some horror elements and some traumatic situations; it's not sexually explicit.…moreI'd give it a PG-13 rating, but more for bloodshed and loss and some horror elements and some traumatic situations; it's not sexually explicit. (less)

Start your review of Hoja de sangre (Hoja de sangre, #1)
Karen
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy, romance, arc, ya
I can already see that I might be in the minority, but I really wasn't impressed by this.

It was certainly original to a degree. There are two kingdoms, Renalt and Achleva; the former is basically run by the Tribunal, which executes witches and hates magic, and the latter is where magic can be used a bit more freely. Aurelia is a princess of Renalt, destined to be wed to the sickly prince of Achleva as part of some long-time truce between the two kingdoms. Suffice to say, she's not too pleased
Faith M ✨
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of A Darker Shade of Magic and Throne of Glass
I received this ARC from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt via Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way. All quotes are taken from the uncorrected proof and are subject to change.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH This was actually really good, like wow

Obligatory Summary

Aurelia is a witch, and she is hated for it. All her life, she's been threatened because of her power, feared for her ability, and one day, just as she's to leave for
Carrie
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Bloodleaf by Crystal Smith is the first book of a new young adult fantasy trilogy by the same name. This series is another that is actually a retelling, however, with this one it’s a story I’m not familiar with myself, the Grimm Fairy tale “The Goose Girl” so I went into this one reading it more as an original story myself.

While Princess Aurelia is an heir to the crown in her country she’s always had a quirky personality about her, this comes from Aurelia’s ability to see the ghosts around her.
Candace Robinson
ARC received via publisher!
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children’s Book Group, via NetGalley for an honest review.

Opinion:

Bloodleaf.

A Retelling.

Witches, Magic, Royals, Murder.

Two Kingdoms. One Arranged Marriage.

And a really big wall.

So……..

…is that it?

description

Bloodleaf is a retelling of “The Goose Girl” and tracks Princess Aurelia as she is forced to travel from her kingdom of Renalt to the kingdom of Achleva, after she is accused of being a witch. With an arranged
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
8/4/18
Okay, so the release was in fact pushed back. But on the upside, OMG, I love this cover so much more than the previous ones that were shared/pitched! It's so pretty =D
---
4/28/18
Huh, the cover has been removed, I wonder if it means this release has been pushed back.
---
The cover isn't that appealing, but the full synopsis definitely is. I can already tell I am going to want to murder Lisette, back-stabbing bitch.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I hope they stay true to what happens to her in original tale cause a traitor
Allison C
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-arcs
I really liked the characters in this as well (I loved both Aurelia and Zan) as the usage of magic. The plot was a bit slow towards the beginning, but it definitely picked up for me when Zan and the other characters began being introduced. The idea of this being a retelling of The Goose Girl was pretty interesting, and after reading over a summary of it, I can definitely see the connection.

I honestly thought that this was going to be a standalone rather than a trilogy, because the story ended
Leigha

A princess goes undercover in another kingdom after a failed assassination attempt in this young adult fantasy romance.

No way to break this easily – princess Aurelia is the dumbest princess I have ever met. This novel should be renamed to Aurelia and Her Awful, No Good, Stupid Choices. It seemed to me the author had the plot outlined, but she didn
Shelflove
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 03-2019
Wow! This book was incredible! I loved the character development and all those plot twists. It had me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end.
Djezelle
Perfect for fans of RED QUEEN and UPROOTED, Crystal Smith’s debut novel, BLOODLEAF, is an imaginative retelling of the Grimm Fairy tale “The Goose Girl” that takes a ghostly mystery and sets it inside an epic fantasy world.

Aurelia is the first princess born to the Renalten crown in two hundred years, destined to fulfill a treaty by journeying to marry Valentin, the prince of Achelva – Renalt’s greatest enemy. Rumors of an unwell, cruel prince abound, and the only thing that eclipses Aurelia’s
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
****4.5 Zan Stars****

Another complete book without a cliffhanger that I thoroughly enjoyed. The world building was spot on (not too much or too little description) along with characters that were easy to relate to and fall in love with.

Yes, the beginning was a bit slow but once it picked up....the action was non-stop with just the right amount of romance!
Taylor
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Bloodleaf, but unfortunately I ultimately didn't love it as much as I was hoping to. Despite the fact that this book didn't completely live up to my expectations, I'll definitely be continuing with the series. :)

My Rating / Score: 3 1/2 out of 5 Stars on Goodreads' rating system. 7 out of 10 on my own personal scoring system.
Kat
Thank you to the Raincoast Books team for an ARC in exchange for an honest review

ACTUAL: 4.5/5 stars

Princess Aurelia is a strong character, who strives for justice across the kingdom, despite being hunted for her blood magic abilities. After fleeing to safety, she discovers a happiness she never had in the castle. But she is not safe for long as a terrible plot is unfolding, and she must choose between saving herself, and the kingdom. This book was one of my most anticipated books of 2019, and
Alexa
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read with Rachel for Friends with ARCs!

Had no idea this was a Goose Girl inspired story until Rachel told me, but knowing things about the story didn’t deter me from enjoying it! Thought it was a fun spin on things, and I liked the elements added to it a lot. Looking forward to the next one!
♠ Tabi ♠
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was far more afraid of those who hated sinners than I ever was of sin.'

Accurate rating: 3.5 stars

The last few fantasy books I've read have been like this book: more enjoyable than I expected, but ultimately nothing truly great. Sure, there are moments I really liked, plot elements that hit my desires just right, some interesting characters . . . but overall lacking that something I need to really love a book.
Celia McMahon
3.5

I'm not sure what I expected from this book. I saw the pretty cover and the intriguing synopsis and thought, why not? I don't even think I read all of the synopsis. Sometimes, going in blind can be fun. But that was not the case with BLOODLEAF.

This book starts strong. We have the princess witnessing a witch execution all the while, being one herself. Something weird like her family casts away female borns, yet they kept her...so, anyway she has to stay hidden because the kingdom hates her. I
The Nerd Daily
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Nathalie DeFelice

Bloodleaf by Crystal Smith is a promising fantasy about a princess who has run away from her homeland after an attempt to assassinate her goes wrong. Aurelia is a princess who sees ghosts and has a magic to her forbidden within her kingdom, one who hates her simply for who she is. Managing to escape death, she hides herself in a new kingdom, making new friendships, and developing the magic that she couldn’t cultivate before,
Arlene
4.5 Stars

This one took me by surprise. I really enjoyed the story. Well done!

“I’m just a girl...figuring things out as I go along. I’m just as lost and confused and lonely as anyone else.”

#icanrelate
Gretal
May 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WHO TF WRITES A GOOSE GIRL RETELLING AND CUTS THE GEESE??

Let me get started by saying this was not a good retelling ofThe Goose Girl, nor was it even a good book. I had so many issues with it, and the decisions the author made in regards to retelling that story. This review has some spoilers because wow there are some things I had Thoughts on. So 1 star.

First, the briefest of explanations for why this isn't a good retelling ofThe Goose Girl.

- There are no geese. NO GEESE. In a retelling of The
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Bloodleaf
Series: Bloodleaf #1
Author: Crystal Smith
Release date: March 12, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre:YA fantasy

I was very excited to read Bloodleaf, and I think the concept of the magic system has merit, but it didn't come together as well as I hoped it would. In parts, there are some fresh ideas, notably the poison/healing power infused in the bloodleaf plant and Princess Aurelia's ability to see spirits of the departed. However, the clichés outnumbered the unique aspects for me
Emma
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, ya, fantasy
Soooooo...this started pretty well but as the book progressed my interest diminished. I found the story pretty predictable and the characters fairly shallow. The premise for the book was more exciting than the story itself.
Jennifer Parr
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won, arc
This was really good. I teared up a few times. I’m looking forward to the next one
Kayla Gallup
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating-5/5 Stars
Usually cover sucker me into making me want to read the synopsis and want to read a book. This is what Bloodleaf did. Plus, it has royalty in it and fantasy in it, so totally what I love.
Aurelia is a Princess and she is supposed to marry a Prince from a different land, but she doesn’t want to. However, people in her country are killed if they are blood mages, which is her biggest secret.
One night her secret comes out and she must flee with her brother and a few trusted people.
Jayne M.
Although I enjoyed the story it took a while to get interested in the book, as I almost stopped at 20%.

There were some blatant spelling mistakes and sentences that didn’t make sense. (Don’t know if that was from the digital edition or if it is in the print too).

It was interesting but I feel the ending was rushed, the buildup was great and then just kinda stopped being great. Dumped a whole bunch of info onto you and showed how it all tied together, and then was just done.

Was an easy read so
Kay
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Goose Girl is one of my all time favorite fairy tales, so when I heard about this book, I was beyond excited to start reading it! Factor in the fact that I was fortunate enough to hear Crystal Smith speak about it on a panel, I knew that I just couldn't wait to get my grabby little hands on it! Although this book disappointed me in a few ways, as I was really hoping it would be a 5 star read and it wasn't, I definitely enjoyed it overall!

This is definitely more of a loose retelling; there
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review*
Holy hell. I didn't expect this book to make me ugly cry/sob so much but here we are. I still have a massive headache from all the crying and my eyes are still burning but at the end of it all, it was completely worth it.
This book follows Aurelia, a princess who must marry in order to bring two kingdoms together, peacefully, and who is keeping her magical abilities a secret. I loved her powers so much that I was sometimes jealous I
Flavia
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won an advanced reader copy of Bloodleaf in a contest run by Raincoast Books at their Fall 2018 Preview in Toronto, and I’m so glad that I did! Some retellings are certainly overdone, and I remember my first reaction to Bloodleaf being relief that it would the first retelling of The Goose Girl that I have ever come across! I remember coming across that story a number of times and was curious to see what the author would do with it. …And I was definitely not disappointed! There were definitely ...more
Joshee Kun (조수아)
The ending was info-dumpy, so I need time to process. :3
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Thoughts*

Bloodleaf is the first installment in author Crystal Smith's trilogy by the same name. In the vein of The Hazel Wood, Anna Dressed in Blood, and The Cruel Prince, Bloodleaf is deliciously creepy and laced with a rock 'n roll edge that will haunt you late into the night. So, after reviewing several sources, Bloodleaf is apparently a retelling of a story called The Goose Girl, a set of German fairy tales from the Grimm Brother
KristynRene The Hype Queen of Books
Edelweiss granted me this ARC in exchange for an honest review, and honest is what I will offer you.

DNF

Great start to a book, I'm all about stories beginning with death. It's dramatic and it locks in my attention.

But to start your plot intrigue with a hiccup in a build-up of something obviously significant? Not really for me.

For example, if your characters gather around a fire and start chanting to call on the power of the Gods for protection and say that it will save someone's life in the
You Are Never Too...: Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf #1) - April 8, 2019 27 15 Apr 19, 2019 10:14AM

• Sorcery of Thorns
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
  • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
Crystal Smith is a writer, photographer, and artist who developed an early love of storytelling in a family of voracious readers. She resides in Utah with her high school sweetheart husband and two lively sons. When she isn’t writing or creating, she can be found re-watching Jane Eyre and Howl's Moving Castle or reading ghost stories with all the lights on.

*Please note, due to Amazon's review

Bloodleaf (3 books)
  • Greythorne (Bloodleaf, #2)
  • Untitled (Bloodleaf Trilogy #3)