Start by marking “This Book Is Gray” as Want to Read:

This Book Is Gray

Gray just wants to be included. But the other colors are always leaving him out. So he decides to create his own project: an all-gray book. Once upon a time, there lived a wolf, a kitten, and a hippo…

Gray just knows it’s going to be perfect. But as he adds page after page, the Primary and Secondary colors show up…and they aren’t quite so complimentary.

A book within a book, this colorful tale explores thcomplimentary.

Ahippo…

Availability: 20 copies available, 3127 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 31 - Nov 30, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about This Book Is Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Book Is Gray

Publication date: December 1, 2019
    Publisher: Two Lions
    Language: English
    ASIN: B07MQR7B5V

I downloaded this book through the Amazon First Reads Program for our daughter. We sat down and read the book together. She complained that the print in the Kindle edition is too small on my 7" screen. Perhaps this book would look much b
    Juliana
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Cute book about the color gray wanting to create its own story. All the other colors (rudely) butt in saying it's impossible without a primary color. It turns into a story within the story where the crayons are giving their input while Gray keeps trying to work on their story. In the end, there is a great balance of color and the characters Gray creates get their happy ending too!
    Kayle-ann Lee chee
    Cute story for kids.

“Like, Totally loved it!” (Said in the primary colour yellow’s voice) Cool book to narrate for kids. They loved it. Thanks.
    Erin Buhr
    Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019-books
    Gray has decided to create his own Gray Book because he is always feeling left out. The other colors have a lot to say about that idea. This is a clever, cheerful story that fans of THE DAY THE CRAYONS QUIT will love. This book plays with colors and color concepts and it also addresses feelings about being left out - something everyone has felt at one time or another. A fun, character filled comedy with plenty of heart.
    Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    I picked up an ARC at ALA and have enjoyed this alongside my six-year-old. We've added 'achromatic' to our vocabulary. And now I see all things gray....if I could attach a photo, I'd share proof.
    Janet Strohecker
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Great for kids & adults

This book actually had me laughing out loud at all the puns and word play. A fantastic book for children to learn all about their colors.
    Karen L. Heffner
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Great way to teach color theory as well as sensitivity to feeling of others

I'm a 70 year old artist. I loved it. It's adorable. I never got a children's book for my Amazon Prime first read before.
    Naomi Tuttle
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    What a Wonderful Book!

This is a wonderful book, especially for young ones learning colors. It’s funny and beautifully illustrated. I would recommend it for 10 and under kids.
    Norma
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Cute

Got this book to read with my grandchildren and I liked it a lot. I'm sure my grandkids will like it too.
    Teresa K.
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    It isn’t easy being Gray, but writing a Gray book helps

I went through a gray wardrobe phase. It fell between orchid and butter yellow. It lasted several years, long enough to wear out two pairs of gray zipper-pocket jeans. I still have my gray argyle sweater, a Jones of New York gray wool peacoat, and my warm and fancy furry gray Sorel boots. It wasn’t a sad phase, this gray wardrobe phase, and I didn’t just wear gray in winter. My gray-, white-, and butter-yellow swimsuit lead me on to chic
    HBalikov
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This is a book for children up to about nine about the "lesser known" color, gray, and why it should get its time in the spotlight.

My little kid panelists (2 to 5) found the illustrations charming but the text had to be simplified for their comprehension.

The book is short, and we will try it again in about a year to see if the result is different. Ward wants to pack in some terms that may need to be skipped for younger readers. Still, this is a charming effort to enlighte
    Sara Lawson
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: children-s-books
    What a GRAYt story!

I saw some people writing that this is the best children's book they've ever read, and I was pleasantly surprised to see the same. Gray is left out and just wants to color with his friends, but when he tries to color his own story and show them how awesome gray is, they start to see things differently. What a great reminder that there is room for all of the colors in any story. It's a great little book!
    Elizabeth
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: own-digital, children
    My love of Amazon first pics is best expressed in my ever growing collection of digital picture books. I know that you are eye rolling because I could use my monthly free book to get an adult book, but I have yet to be disappointed by the kiddie lit that I have tucked in my phone for my adorable nieces and nephews. This one is a cute color wheel of fun, and you have to love any book that tells you to love yourelf for who you are! A fun romp that was nephew and auntie approved!
    Maxime
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book is GRAYt!
    As much as this book can educates kids about colours and the differences between them all (the bit about the complimentary blue and orange made me laugh!) It's also a good laugh throughout.
    I thought when reading it that the end of the story was that double spread where the hippo says: I'm hungry. The wolf adds: me too! And the cat is like 🥺?
    Makes me laugh so much. Well done Lindsay!
    Lincoln
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
    Totally contrary to title

This book says it's about gray, but it veers quickly away from the charming premise into psychobabble and a reversal of the premise. If you want abook about valuing the unnoticed potential of individuals who get overlooked, look elsewhere. Thus isn't that book. There's very little in this book about gray and it's value.
    Donna Bagby
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: children-books, 2019
    This was a delightful story of how the color gray persevered in showing that although his color was not a primary or secondary color, it still was a color that could be used to enhance pictures/stories.
    In reading it , I found myself to be just like those other colors but will try to use gray more often.
    Micah Manshardt
    Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Unique and delightful

Falls into the vein of "a voice is a voice no matter how small." Great book for exposing children to color palates, and the various colors. All this with a great plot involving consideration and respect for personal desires. Really happy I added this to our collection.
    Beth
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    i think that call this a Amazon first ... u can get it before it is available for purchase, if you have Amazon Prime or is it KU? any who ... i have do both. cute read ... u feel for for GRAY ... i've never thought about it ... i am usually a vibrant color person ... get me some bright colors. fun read. u feel it. great for kids and big kids as well.
    Alicia Castillo
    Love it.

My daughter love it. Poor Gray the other colors didn't let Gray color the rainbow, but he has a awesome idea to make his own book in just gray color. Very cool graphics and is easy to read and understand. It focus in discrimination and self steam very good approaches with a happy ending.
    Michelle
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Great author

Amazing children's book. Witty and fun for younger children but older ones may get a kick out of it too.
    This author is an amazing lady. She went to Maple Leaf school a couple of years ago and spent a couple of hours reading and signing free books to give to children there. Plus she also demonstrated her awesome illustrating talents too!
    She is a just amazing!
    Daniel Phillips
    Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    GREAT!

This is the cutest book! It can be seen as meaning kids who aren't stand outs in sports, or super popular, or even just look a little different from their peers, can shine in their own way if given the chance. It also teaches a lot about color theory, all the big and little words that are used to categorize and describe colors, and how they work together. A+!
    Anne
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: picture-book, ebooks
    Read it online (ebook). Cute! Poor Gray doesn't get to be part of all the coloring like the rainbow colors, so he starts his own book, but then the other colors barge in. Colorful, even though it's about gray, and the endpapers have some useful color information.
    Chris McDonald
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A Lovely Fun Chlirends book

A lovely clever story, beautifully illustrated with am important life lesson ( like all good children's books should be). I enjoyed the book as much as the child. Would highly recommend

Isabelle | BookwyrmBites
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This is absolutely adorable. I love how it introduces color theory in a really simple, accessible way alongside themes of inclusion and teamwork; I just wish it was longer and the plot was a bit more developed, though of course I'm not exactly part of the target demographic.
    Simon Pedoe
    Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Great story, with lots of whit an humour.

I read this to my 6 year old. She loved the fact that the speech bubbles flowed from colour to colour. It was an enjoyable read for me too. Like all good kids books, the adult wasn't left out.
    Samuel M Ferguson
    Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Different

Interesting perspective from a color rarely used. Although Rainbows exclude gray because they are vibrant. The sky exemplifies gray on cloudy days or stormy days, before rain, so that the rainbows can shine!
    Miss V L Reeder
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Good

Was a nice change to have a free children's book. Not my favourite children story book but would kill 5 mins once or twice with my son but don't feel he'd be fussed to want to read the story again as not an awful lot hwpppend but I like the idea
    Aimee
    Very cute

This is a great book about colors. My 4 year old absolutely loved it. It's also about feeling left out and learning your place in the world with friends. 10/10 would reccomend.
    Tonia Allred
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Cute children's book

My favorite color is Gray so I was excited to read this book about the color gray. It doesn't have to be a gloomy or dismal color. It can be just as great as the other colors! Great book about being inclusive.
    Dorae Poe
    Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Adorable story with a great color!

This is an amazing story about Gray. He shows his other color friends that he can be just like them and make a fantastic story. The animals in the background are hilarious as well! Great story for kids and parents.

• Along the Tapajós
    • Instructions Not Included: How a Team of Women Coded the Future
    • The Hike: (Nature Book for Kids, Outdoors-Themed Picture Book for Preschoolers and Kindergarteners)
    • Sadiq and the Green Thumbs
    • Get Up, Stand Up: (Preschool Music Book, Multicultural Books for Kids, Diversity Books for Toddlers, Bob Marley Children's Books)
    • The Return
    • A Tiger Like Me
    • Finding Narnia: The Story of C. S. Lewis and His Brother Warnie
    • To Night Owl from Dogfish
    • A Different Pond
    • White Bird
    • Chapter Two Is Missing
    • March: Book Three (March, #3)
    • The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious - and Perplexing - City
    • Mary Wears What She Wants
    • Kristy's Big Day
    • Playing Atari with Saddam Hussein
    • Keith Haring: The Boy Who Just Kept Drawing
    Lindsay Ward has a BFA in Illustration from Syracuse University. Her most recent books include It’s Show and Tell, Dexter! and Don’t Forget Dexter!, books 1 and 2 in the Dexter T. Rexter Series with Two Lions. She is also the author and illustrator of Brobarians (Two Lions, 2017), The Importance of Being 3 (Dial 2016), Rosco vs. the Baby (S&S, 2016), Henry Finds His Word (Dial, 2015), a Choose ...more