Start by marking “The Grim Assistant (Tales from the Grim, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Grim Assistant (Tales from the Grim, #1)

The Grim Assistant

(Tales from the Grim #1)

Postal carrier and amateur surfer, Samantha Diaz, lives an uncomplicated life. Well, other than helping her sister with childcare, crushing on her unavailable customer, Lauren Brennan, and catching as many waves as possible before hurricane season begins. Suffice to say, she isn’t looking for much more, but when Lauren invites her to a monthly game night at her house, Sam ...more
Published August 5th 2019 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about The Grim Assistant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grim Assistant

Lex Kent
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars. I really enjoyed this. To be honest there was nothing in the book that blew me away, but it was just fun to read. I have been in a slump of reading disappointing books lately so this was exactly the entertainment I was looking for. I believe this is Hutchins first full length book. They have a few novellas and shorts but I had to give them some extra points for writing a fun debut.

Sam is a postal worker and avid surfer. After a freak accident that leaves Sam technically dead, Sam me
Corporate Slave
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting Read!!! although this is not my genre, i found myself unable to leave the book and wanting to finish it! for me rating it will be tricky because as i said it is not my usual genre, but if a book forces me to stay a couple of hours later at night to read it, then i think it should get an extra point for that :)
So Sam the main MC was very likable, and even Lauren the other MC didnt bother me that much :) while the sex happened too fast, i still felt it was very HOT so that's another po
Joc
Oh, this was a huge amount of fun and a nice surprise because, as usual, I didn’t bother to read the blurb. Sam delivers mail and surfs. She also helps her sister, who is going through a rough divorce, by babysitting her nephew when needed. Her crush on Lauren will have to remain just that because Lauren is involved with Sam’s tormentor from school days. One morning a sudden storm puts her life in danger and she wakes to find she’s made a deal with a Reaper, Margo.

What I enjoyed most about this
K. Aten
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.0 - Interesting new paranormal world with a cute romantic ending

I've been on a bit of a paranormal and sci-fi kick lately and perhaps that's why I enjoyed The Grim Assistant as much as I did. While I wasn't blown away, I found the main and secondary characters likable and relatable, even the grumpy Grim Reaper, Margot. It was the world that truly drew me in.

Hutchins paints a good picture of this new world with Grim Reapers, fantasy creatures who hide in plain sight, and of poor Sam's dilemma a
JulesGP
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Confession, I am a fan of that cheesy Jennifer Love Hewitt show the Ghost Whisperer so I am familiar with the premise of an individual who is gifted with being able to see restless spirits and helping them find closure in order to “move on.” After watching 107 episodes over and over in reruns, I’ve probably seen most twists on this particular storyline.

But one thing I’ve learned that holds true is that if the author is having a good time spinning the tale, then the reader is going to have a bla
Bethany
What a fun debut (I think...!) for Hutchins! Despite this not being in my normal genre of reads, I really enjoyed this one!

MC Sam has a freak surfing accident and ends up dying on the beach. She's visited by Margo, who claims to be a Grim Reaper, and Margo claims to be able to bring Sam back to life if she'll agree to be Margo's temporary assistant. Sam accepts, because, well... dead versus temporary Grim Reaper is no contest, right?

Surprisingly, with that blurb, this book actually wasn't too he
Colleen Corgel
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was actually really great. I thought it was going to be more of a comedy, but it turned out to be a really sweet romance that has some funny bits to it. I also love that Hutchins takes the concept of a psycho-pomp and turns it into this whole office gig. We don't see much of it, but Margo, who is quite possibly the worst grim reaper I have read about, always mentions quotas and such. It's played for laughs as much as the serious magical consequences that occur when messing with the supernat ...more
Ashley
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bb-review
Samantha Diaz, a postal carrier and amateur surfer, likes the life she’s got. She works, looks out for her sister and nephew, surfs in her free time, and has a bit of a crush on one of the residents living on her postal route. Sam’s morning surf doesn’t go as expected when a freak thunderstorm rolls in that creates a riptide that pulls Sam under to her death. When she wakes up on in the hospital, the last thing she expects is for a random woman named Margo to be spouting information about Grim R ...more
Veronica
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley

When I first read the summary I was so happy- this was the book I've been looking for. A gritty, thrilling novel with LQBTQ romance galore. I was met instead with a very cute urban fantasy that though did not meet my expectations provided me with something I did not know I needed...FLUFF. Throughout the book, I really believed Sam was real, she had depth and I was rooting for her and her bae the whole time! I thought the exchang

Cheryl
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book seemed quite different to anything I had ever read before. Paranormal is not really my first genre choice, but I quite enjoyed The Grim Assistant.

Sam is a surfer and postal carrier. Things go a bit haywire when a morning surf doesn't quite go to plan and she dies. What follows is an interesting journey as a Grim Assistant while navigating a new relationship with Lauren.

What I liked was that this book surprised me. It was very open, fast paced and didn't rely on angst to draw the reader
Angellwings
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got an opportunity to read The Grim Assistant in advance thanks to NetGalley and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It reminded me very much of Meg Cabot’s Abandon series but on a more mature level.

I was very pleased with the main characters, Sam and Lauren. They for sure had chemistry! If you’re looking for a quality LGBTQ fantasy then this is it. There’s a great deal of world building that is very intriguing and a wide array of characters that are unique and fun.

The representation in this book is a b
Davina Lee
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don't let a little thing like death stand in the way of getting the girl of your dreams. Jodi Hutchins' debut novel, The Grim Assistant, is an amusement park ride through the world of the occult--fun and entertaining with its twists and turns and quirky characters. But at other times deadly serious because, let's face it, even The Grim Reaper's got quotas to fill and pressures from upper management. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and look forward to seeing more of my favorite character, Margo, in ...more
F.
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The love story of Sam and Lauren would be quite unremarkable, were it not that Sam gets recruited as an assistant Grim Reaper. I like some fun paranormal stories, and DEATH in the Disc World series is my favourite character. Apart from Granny Weatherwax, of course. If you have a story that involves grim reaping things can get a little morose, I guess. I found the snippets with the lost souls almost unbearably sad, and it dimmed my enjoyment of the book a bit. I don't really enjoy being sad, and ...more
Jacqueline Allan
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book!! The question of spirits being trapped in the ether is one I have always wanted to know the answer to. In this work of fiction it answers that for me. This was a beautiful story of love, faith, hope and so many other words. Sam has been put in a bad position by doing the right thing for her sister, living instead of dying but her choice has ramifications too. The love story is very sweet about not being afraid to try again when your heart has been broken. I’d high ...more
M.A. Hinkle
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a good escapist read. All the characters seemed like fun people to hang out with, especially the side characters like Jackie and even Margo.

And. Uh. There's some pretty great sex in here too, so there's that. Lauren and Sam take a little while to put their hands on each other, but then they never stop, and it's awesome.
Heather Bennett
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Grim Assistant is a fantastic unique book. I loved it. I can't wait to read more from this author. The characters and storyline are entertaining.
A Alison
Caterina
Jul 24, 2019
CJ Pugsley
Jul 24, 2019
Jodi Hutchins is a healthcare professional by day and fanatical writer by night. They are also an avid reader, coffee connoisseur, helpless romantic, amateur artist, enthusiastic maker-upper of things, spouse, and parent. The frequent rain of western Washington doesn’t stop Jodi and their wife from gallivanting through the next trail head with their two children. Writer of LBGTQIA+ stuff.