Start by marking “Enter the Aardvark” as Want to Read:
Enter the Aardvark

Enter the Aardvark

Only one thing stands between Alexander Paine Wilson and his destiny… and it has long ears, spoon-like claws and a tubular snout.

Republican congressman Alexander Paine Wilson is determined that nothing will stop him in his campaign for re-election. Not the fact that he is a bachelor, not the fact that his main adversary Nancy Beavers – married, with children – is rising
ebook
Expected publication: March 24th 2020 by Transworld Digital

To ask other readers questions about Enter the Aardvark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enter the Aardvark

Start your review of Enter the Aardvark
Jason
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
I do love stumbling across an unknown book and finding out that it is a brilliant read, that is what happened with "enter the aardvark". A political satire that captures the madness of politics and news media perfectly. Alexander Paine Wilson is a politician that pushes crazy laws about same sex marriage and abortions by day and at night is completely oblivious that he is breaking the laws he is trying to enforce, in my opinion that fits the average politician in the UK.

That is just half the
Anmiryam
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What happens when someone brings a nasty, closeted, right-wing acolyte of Ronald Reagan a stuffed aardvark? Everything. And all of it will surprise you. How did this taxidermied nocturnal creature from Namibia arrive on Congressman Alexander Payne Wilson's doorstep? The journey we discover, starts in the 1870s, and as we read it becomes clear that the present and the path intertwine. The dual, though strikingly similar tales across time elevate the novel beyond a standard farce, though don't ...more
Em
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
satire + taxidermy + ??? = !!!!!!!
Latkins
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This bizarre but brilliant satirical novel tells two stories, one set in 19th century England and another in contemporary America, which are connected by a stuffed aardvark! Ronald Reagan-obsessed right-wing Republican congressman Alexander Paine Wilson is blindsided when he receives the aardvark as a present – and realises that it must have come from his secret gay lover, Greg Tampico. Meanwhile, in 1875, taxidermist Titus Downing is surprised and saddened by the sudden death in Africa of his ...more
Kales
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book on a whim and it is different than most things I read. However, I enjoyed it. It's an interwoven, intricate story. It follows the lives of two gentlemen, about 200 years apart, centered around an aardvark. It feels a little like a French doors comedy and I found myself imagining it on stage, as a play.

The language and the voice impressed me the most during this book. It's a little confusing to get the hang of because one of the perspectives is in second person and the other is
R.J. Sorrento
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-netgalley
I was intrigued by the premise of two seemingly separate stories being connected by the same stuffed aardvark. The book delivers on the promise of the premise, and Anthony has written a clever story with memorable characters (even if a few are meant to be caricatures).

If you’re looking for a unique story that blends repressed love with political satire, check out Enter the Aardvark. Content warnings: homophobia (internalized and societal).

To read my full review, visit:
Jenne
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
One of those books where every few pages you go hahahahahaWHAT.
I'm not sure what exactly happened but I had a good time!
Rick Buttafogo
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A strange yet fun read. I was much more interested in the current political story of Congressman Wilson than I was of the taxidermist from the 19th century, however it worked well into the story. Crazy plot. Original for sure. Quick read. You’ll enjoy it
Rachel
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a deeply weird and unexpected little book, but damn if I didn't enjoy the ride it took me on. Don't read anything about it and just dive in, let it bring you to some unexpected places. That is seriously what happened with me, and it was delightful.
Becki
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe this author just created a new genre called horrific political satire. This book is at times hilarious, suspenseful, romantic, and...totally unsettling. The parallel storyline of a 19th century taxidermist and a modern politician intersect at one very odd, blue-eyed stuffed aardvark, which teeters the politician on the brink of demise by way of a simple, morning FedEx delivery. Cliffhanger chapter endings will both unnerve and hook you until before you know it, you are on a bizarre yet ...more
Keelin Rita
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I present to you the next big Love It or Leave It book. Because this one is gonna be divisive. This review is not going to make a lot of sense so sorry about that up front. Ok how do I talk about this book? For starters, this is a 4.5. I know I only rated it four but that’s not the point right now.

This book is not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, in fact, I think many people, many people I know, will not like it. The main characters are pretty unlikeable. The language used in one section is so
Sarah-Hope
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
Jessica Anthony's Enter the Aardvark is a clever piece of political satire with narratives in two different time periods running parallel to one another. There is, yes, and aardvark, which is taxidermied in the earlier timeline and sets off some chaos in the second one.

The tones of the two timelines differ. The earlier one is kinder, less mocking. The present-day one offers a more cutting narrative—from a send-up of twee hipster eateries to politicians who are more interested in what people
Charlotte
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Describing this book will be a challenge. The book centers around a stuffed Aardvark. Yes, you read it correctly. This is a clever story that delves into the lives of several characters... none of whom are truly without their faults. In fact, most of the characters aren't all that likable. They manipulate each other, they're dishonest, they're cheating and lying and misrepresenting themselves.

I'm not even sure I can pin down the genre of this book. It's part political satire, part fable, part
Katia
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I suppose there is something to be said for this book; I did finish it, after all. That is not to say that it is particularly readable, as there were long passages I had to skip over on account of the fact that I didn't really care all that much. Anthony does tease you enough to continue reading with implausible, strange plot turns and an alternation between two characters' perspectives, but beyond that I didn't find anything redeemable about this book.

It was pitched as an exercise in "knowing
Kazue Sohma
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I was disappointed in this book because it had potential for greatness but did not deliver on its promise. The novel follows two stories; one of a nineteenth century taxidermist and the other of a modern republican congressman (although one can’t tell from his barbaric political stances). The two men’s stories are tied together by a piece of taxidermy (the titular aardvark), although, that is not where the commonalities end. The author all but hits you in the face with a sledgehammer with the ...more
Angela Lashbrook
Wow! What a bizarre, wonderful novel. It follows the journey of a taxidermied aardvark through two significant eras of its post-life (death?): its death, subsequent stuffing, and sale by a taxidermist named Titus Downing in the 19th century; and in the modern day, its sudden, unexplained appearance on the steps of a truly hateful Republican congressman, Alexander Paine Wilson.

This novel covers a lot of ground, thematically, and for a number of reasons this will not be a book for everyone—but
willowdog
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A couple of years ago, I read not one but two LGBT books where a taxidermist played a significant role. At that time, I thought what were the chances that two authors would write about this profession in the same year. Did the authors go to some writing seminar and decide that this subject would be the occupation chosen for the year? But this is all an aside.
Anthony's subject is somewhat ripped from the headlines. Think of the recent scandal of Aaron Schock, a Republican representative. In this
Patricia Baker
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
difficult book to review..is it satire at its best? is it politics not as usual? is it a love story involving blue eyes and an aardvark? probably a little bit of all of these things. Alexander Paine Wilson is running against Nancy Beavers for political office. Mr Wilson has a thing for Ronald Reagan and all things Ronald including furniture and clothing. Nancy just has a family which Wilson needs he thinks to win. story also includes flashbacks into the lives of prior scientists and that ...more
Lauren
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
4.5 - I found this short novel very engaging and unique. I loved the dual narrative and the elaborate metaphors for our current governmental climate. But it was the characters that really made the novel - I laughed out loud, I was disgusted, I was moved, I was surprised. I think this is a fun, quirky, queer novel that everyone needs to read. I’d not for its total creativeness than for its memorable and messed up characters.
Megan Roberts
Feb 11, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read so many books this past year that are written in second person and I find this trend to be exhausting and hard to read. Almost no one does it very well and this book in particular did not work for me. I was done after the line, "No one knows that you suck Greg Tampico's cock." I don't, and now I don't care about the character who does. Bye Felicia.
Erin
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of the most bizarre books I've ever read, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Political satire at its finest with parallel love stories for the ages - this book is probably going to be one of the most divisive titles for 2020. Whether you love it or hate it - it'll definitely spark an interesting discussion.
Jill
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is quite possibly the strangest book I have ever read, which is exactly what makes it so amazing. At once bizarre, hilarious, tender, and critical, Enter the Aardvark is a timely and refreshing political satire, and an absolute must read!
Vanessa
Feb 07, 2020 marked it as gave-up-on
This is one that I'm sure is great and poignant etc etc, but ughghghg mmymy ggooddd the writing is just...far too bizarre for me. The parts from Wilson's POV were lovely and I was very into that style, but the rest.......
Cindy
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This little book sneaks up on you. The stories of a 21st century closeted Republican congressman and a 19th century melancholy taxidermist run parallel until their worlds collide. It's big hearted, funny, thoughtful, and altogether entertaining!
Beth
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An inventive, fast-paced, hilarious, genius-level novel...with the best first six pages of anything I’ve read in years.
Shannon
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. Loved the satire, it genuinely made me laugh out loud. Thought the other/historical narrative was weaker.
Zandria Senft
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky, weird and down right fascinating! Definitely hooked me wanting to know what happens!
Amanda Zirn Hudson
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm not really sure what just happened but I don't necessarily regret it. Listened to this on Libro.FM and the narrator was great.
M
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Advanced proof. 2.5.
Janelle | She Reads with Cats
I really enjoyed this little book!

• The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Oona Out of Order
  • Conjure Women
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Weather
Anthony’s short stories can be found in Best New American Voices, Best American Nonrequired Reading, New American Writing and elsewhere. She has received fellowships from the Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference, the MacDowell Colony, the Millay Colony, the Ucross Foundation, and the Maine Arts Commission. Her books have been published in a dozen countries and reviewed in The Los Angeles Times, The Wall ...more