Start by marking “Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 5: Worst Among Equals (Star Wars: Doctor Aphra (2016-))” as Want to Read:

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 5: Worst Among Equals (Star Wars: Doctor Aphra

(Star Wars: Doctor Aphra (2016) #5)

Collects Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #26-31, Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Annual #2.

Doctor Aphra — worst among equals! On the run from the law in a massive alien metropolis, Aphra has ten hours to cross the hostile megacity before the bomb implanted in her throat explodes. And don’t forget the pack of bounty hunters and crazed cops that are on her tail. No big deal, right? But
Published June 26th 2019 by Marvel (first published June 25th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Start your review of Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 5: Worst Among Equals (Star Wars: Doctor Aphra (2016-))
Neil R. Coulter
"I only know one truth," Luke said. "It's time for [Doctor Aphra] to end."
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Doctor Aphra is back, and once again she just keeps finding herself in worse and worse situations. It seems like no plan of hers will ever go smoothly. But it does make for an interesting read for the rest of us!
Doctor Aphra Vol. 5 is titled Worst Among Equals, and it’s probably my favorite title so far. And in many ways, it fits her relationship with Triple Zero perfectly. This volume has six issues in it, but the first one is going to feel more like a one-shot at first. It does become
Dan
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The end of this series?
Benji Glaab
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gntr
4.5 I've always loved the Doctor Aphra character since Kieron Gillen introduced her in the Darth Vader run. Overall this has been a fantastic run. Volume 4 being the exception. I think Simon Spurrier dropped the ball big time with his first Doctor Aphra volume, however volume 5 offers up an entertaining non-stop thrill ride that is actually comprehensible unlike volume 4 that was an outright mess.

I had fun reading this, and I think that's the point with a read like this. Triple zero (a
Alex Sarll
Rogue archaeologist Aphra was the master to the murderous protocol droid Triple Zero, and then his slave. Now, the two of them are unable to leave each other's presence without activating explosives that have been implanted in them. A ridiculously contrived set-up? Absolutely, and that's admitted in the first issue. But when you've created a book where a maverick ethicist pulling such a stunt, principally for shits and giggles, is a plausible development...well, why not go for it? Hilarity ...more
Robert
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe more of a 3.5/5, but with me and Star Wars titles I’m always happy to round up.

There were three new characters introduced in this volume that I foresee being fun in more stories to come, particularly the unlikely inter-species married couple of monster hunters Vokk and Winloss but also perhaps a new Big Bad in the form of Imperial Propaganda Minister Voor- definitely the kind of shady, unscrupulous manipulator that Mr Spurrier delights in writing.
Jenna
A bit too familiar with the themes (Trip wanting to murder everything, Aphra trying to do better but slipping into her rather amoral ways, people out to get her), especially the latter half of the collection. The first issue was fun though, as Doctor Aphra navigates bounty hunters through a Indiana Jones-worthy temple, traps and all.

I hope this is the last we see of those droids.
Kevin
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! This would've been a great option to end the whole series though.
Monica
I quite liked this arc of the story. For a while now I've been like Triple Zero is just a problem, but here I was like aight, we can have him back in the story, and I won't be annoyed. I also liked Aphra and how she handled the whole situation, and I really liked that hunter couple. They were great.
I forgot to mention that I am thrilled that the propaganda part of the Empire came in. I have been curious about them, and I want to see more of the head of the propagandists.
Jeff
Apr 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series gets worse with each volume. Unnecessarily convoluted plots, ridiculous characters, and the same themes and ideas rehashed over and over.
Teresa

0-1 ABY

The fifth volume of Doctor Aphra contains "Worst Among Equals" Parts I-VI as well as Annual #2, which comes first in the printed collection. Annual #2, "Winloss and Nokk," is a rather funny, classic Aphra tale of wit and witticism, and of course, Aphra having some ulterior agenda. Aphra has hired monster hunters Winloss and Nokk to kill this artifact guardian and claim the artifact. What they don't know if that she has already claimed the artifact, she just needed rescuing...

This volume
Chris Lemmerman
Trapped on an unknown planet ruled by the iron hand of the Law and the Empire's propaganda machine, Doctor Aphra's up shit creek without a paddle. Oh, and to make matters worse, if she moves more than 20 feet away from Triple Zero, her murderous ex-protocol droid, she's going to explode. So, uh, what's up, doc?

Aphra's come a long way. Alright, she's still very bad, but she's getting there. She's trying. And this volume really highlights that journey in a way that the preceding four haven't quite
Cale
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You would think that pairing Aphra and Triple-Zero in an Escape From New York-style harrowing race against time on an Imperial planet would be rife with excitement, adventure, and all the joy Aphra normally brings. And, well, most of it is there, but there's a level of introspection that weighs down much of the action, as Aphra is asked time and again to examine her personality and tendency to throw people away, and it makes it less fun to be aware of it when she does it. And it also isn't as ...more
Catharsis
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, sci-fi
I love this series because unlike most narratives of the genre, it features a bunch of evil characters who have to outsmart one another. In a classic good vs evil story, for good to triumph, you need the villain(s) to make often ludicrous tactical mistakes (such as giving a long speech about world domination while the hero is managing to escape). In Doctor Aphra, everyone goes from chaotic neutral to chaotic/lawful evil, so it’s no barrels hold from beginning to end.

The premise of this story arc
Dakota Morgan
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worst Among Equals offers up rollicking, non-stop thrills with occasional doses of pathos and a fine patina of humor, making it perhaps the best volume in the series. Doctor Evazan's implanted proximity bombs in Aphra and Triple Zero, forcing them to remain in constant contact even though Trip would rather see Aphra (and most of humanity) dead. The pair stumble across the city-planet Milvayne, desperate to find a skilled bomb defuser, but instead finding only more and deeper trouble. It's the ...more
Paul Decker
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite ongoing Star Wars comic series. This volume starts out with the Annual #2 story. It's a fun, little story about some animal wranglers hired by Aphra. The non-lethal Trandoshan is one of my new favorite characters. I'd love to see more stories about Winloss and Nokk.

Doctor Aphra and Triple Zero have to stick together because bombs inside of them will go off if they're too far apart. Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba are also featured in this volume. I like seeing background
Chris
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read overall, but it has a few issues that were always nagging at me. It gets too heavy on dialogue at inappropriate times, and the author seems to try too hard to portray Trip as homicidal, missing the right tone for the robot shown earlier in the series. This volume is also a bit heavy handed on trying to teach Aphra and Trip a lesson. I get it, they've each committed a lot of evil deeds, but the author needed a more subtle touch in addressing their possible redemption. Although these ...more
Timothy
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very talky arc, with a bit too much "subtext becoming text." There are also a lot of characters coming and going; as with the previous volume, Spurrier's story feels overstuffed and likely to unravel up until the end. But the ending was great! With some slight tweaks, it could have been a good ending to the series, and I hope that the actual ending won't be a let-down compared to this. It was emotionally satisfying, it felt earned, and it was masterfully structured.

I do hope that as
C
I was a bit disappointed in this volume. It's a contrived plot that moves along rather slowly and ends without any real surprise moments. It also seems odd because Aphra has had a lot of character development recently but she was almost reset for this story (It feels like she had the same character arc here as in the Tolvan arcs but handled much less subtly.)... And (in my opinion) having the droids so heavily back in the story is not a positive on any level but then again, I have never been a ...more
Gareth
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite possibly the best one yet in the series. Builds on the previous volumes, and while starts out as dark as the previous volume, does start to add in a bit of hope throughout, making it quite a bittersweet one to read, and potentially could have been a good finish to the overall series, except that it would be a shame to have no more Doctor Aphra. Some really good character growth and interactions between Triple Zero and Doctor Aphra here, with good side characters helping add varying ...more
Rocky Sunico
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, star-wars
The Doctor Aphra books are always a good source of fun and the recent volumes have really worked on testing her character in very stressful situations. And the latest pickle is a most tricky one given her fate and that of the murderous Triple Zero are now intertwined in a most fatal way. The constant back and forth of the two of them applying different approaches to solving their problem along with an odd additional layer of the propaganda arm of the Empire also adding to the story makes for ...more
Seth
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continues to just be OK despite it's promise. Aphra and 000 aren't interesting enough as companions to carry a whole book, let alone the last three or so in the series, and they tread no new ground here. Aphra is so great when she leans into the heel role - as seen in the opening flash-back story of this book - that it's hard to feel anything but dissatisfied when the rest of the book is such a slog.
Eva B.
This single-handedly made up for Remastered and The Catastrophe Con. Aphra and Trip have been rigged up with proximity bombs that've been rigged to explode in 10 hours or if they are more than 20 meters apart. This is a story chock-full of suspense, and the more vulnerable side of Aphra, and I loved it.
Ethan
Aphra's last trade book was fairly disastrous, but Spurrier has a better handle on the character this go around and introduces some excellent foils for her this time around. Winloss and Nokk feel like they've been ripped from the pages of Saga (which is a good thing), and the story itself ain't bad.
Sam W.
Another great Doctor Aphra book with one of my favorite characters being the main character of this particular volume. Triple-0! He is a droid who leads a crime syndicate and all he does is demolish organic beings. He is hilarious and makes this the best Doctor Aphra graphic novel.
Stephen Hamilton
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable read with some interesting new characters and maybe, just maybe, some emotional growth for our eponymous antiheroine. However, I very much hope that this is the last that we see of the murderbots. Their arc has very much run its course, and it’s time that the story moves on.
Julie
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story; enjoying Vu.
Mrklingon
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hard to beat Dr Aphra! Crazy adventure with the Doc paired with Triple Zero in the worst way...
Chris
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel-sw, star-wars
A more personal and rather touching volume mainly focusing on Aphra and Triple Zero's fugitive flight and quest to get the implanted bombs removed from their bodies.
Steve Cunningham
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A welcome return to form after a so-so last outing.

• Star Wars, Vol. 11: The Scourging of Shu-Torun
  • Star Wars, Vol. 9: Hope Dies
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story
  • Star Wars, Vol. 8: Mutiny at Mon Cala
  • Star Wars Adventures: Tales from Vader's Castle

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra (2016) (7 books)
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, Vol. 1: Aphra