Start by marking “November Volume I” as Want to Read:

November Volume I

In this new sequence of three graphic novellas by MATT FRACTION and ELSA CHARRETIER with colors by MATT HOLLINGSWORTH and exquisitely-crafted lettering by cartoonist KURT ANKENY, NOVEMBER follows the lives of three women intersecting in a dark criminal underground. As fire and violence tears through their city on a single day and night, they discover their lives are bound together bcartoonist ...more
Published November 12th 2019 by Image Comics

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Nov 06, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win 1 of 20 copies of NOVEMBER, VOL. 1—the new hardcover graphic novel by Matt Fraction and Elsa Charretier.

The live

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 20 copies available, 2315 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 04 - Nov 18, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about November Volume I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about November Volume I

Start your review of November Volume I
    Chad
    Oct 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: 2019, edelweiss
    I was so disappointed in this. I typically love Fraction's writing but this was incomprehensible. Each issue switches to a different character that doesn't fit together until almost the end of the arc. The storytelling is disjointed and confusing. The cover blurb makes note of the groundbreaking lettering. I found this to be some of the worst lettering I've seen in a comic. Cursive in comics is always problematic and this was the case here. I couldn't read half of it. The art was very sketchy, o ...more
    Artemy
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Fantastic, exquisitely crafted, expertly told story. Fraction channels his best David Lynch here, with a dash of noir storytelling style of Frank Miller and Ed Brubaker. Elsa Charretier's artwork is perfect, and Matt Hollingsworth's colouring is as much part of the story here as Fraction's script or Charretier's art. Same goes for Kurt Ankeny's brilliant hand-written lettering, which almost tells an entire story of its own. November is the kind of book where the more you pay attention to the det ...more
    Frances
    Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Beautifully weird little slices of grim life coming together to build the first part of a story.
    Kate
    Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2019, arc
    I'm not positive I know what the hell is going on, but I'm here for it. Volume 2, please!
    Alex Sarll
    My normal problem with Matt Fraction books is that they can be so preoccupied with the smart pitch, the cool ideas and the nice moments that they don't quite work as stories. Whereas with this one, I don't remotely get yet where it's aimed or what it's trying to do, but I'm intrigued. Elsa Charretier draws, and though I know her stuff primarily from odd superhero issues, and Matt Hollingsworth's colours from Anglophone comics, there's something about the work they're doing here (and Kurt Ankeny' ...more
    Tim
    This was really good. It was the general weirdness I expect from a Fraction story and the art from Charretier and Hollingsworth was gorgeous. I'll be interested to see if they release all three volumes in one hardcover when it's all said and done.
    Tom Mooney
    Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
    Not sure I have any idea what the hell was going on here. But I liked it.
    Billie
    Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
    I think this is a situation where I'll enjoy the work as a complete whole much more than I will enjoy the individual pieces. There were some interesting ideas here, but it would be just as easy for them to end up being poorly resolved as it would for them to be genius and, unfortunately, this volume doesn't really work as a complete story on its own, at least not for me. It's intriguing, though, and I'll be very interested in how it plays out over the next two volumes.
    Harry Jahnke
    Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Ahhh, I loved this, I want to read the second part right now. I loved the handwritten quality to the type. Usually I can't ever read that stuff when its in comics but this did it just right. Also did a really good job balancing all of the different story arcs without losing the plot. Very, very well done.
    Pop Bop
    Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: reviewed
    Well, Maybe

This is Volume 1 of a planned three volume set. It comprises three vignettes featuring three different characters, with a promise that over the course of the series the plot and the characters' connections will become clear.

Sometimes with projects like this the art or the writing or the overall vibe is so compelling that you're willing to read through the fog while waiting for the promised payoff. Based on this volume I'm not at all sure this is such a project.
    stine
    Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    “I realized last night I could walk all day long in any direction and I’d still be here. Somewhere. In this here; in this now. No matter what. And so then, I asked myself, well, if this is all there is… is this the best I could do?”

I didn't know what to expect when I first started this but what I know for sure is that I left it feeling exactly the same way I went into it: clueless. That's not to say it wasn't good, because it definitely was, but this first volume sets out to achieve what I presume
    Theediscerning
    Oct 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
    A little too weird for its own good, this comic tries hard to be distinctive and mysterious, but just ends up too obtuse. Take a girl tasked with reporting from a roof-top pigeon shack the results of a puzzle printed daily in the paper – she's told it's some kind of entry code. Take a woman seemingly kidnapped by the police when she just finds a pistol on the pavement. Take the call handler that second woman was in contact with. And add in a bloke, and you get nowhere fast to working out what th ...more
    Rian *fire and books*
    This is definitely one of those situations where you want the whole series, and not just the first book.

To start, this isn’t my favorite art style and the lettering is in cursive at some points, but it works. The storytelling is done pretty well where it alternates text and photo panels.

I found this story intriguing and have suspicions about how these 3 ladies and all the different men connect. Unfortunately, I wasn’t given more than a bare hint to really formulate some cohesive guesses.

I’ll
    -RadioactiveBookworm-
    With a very interesting looking cover, this book doesn't really give any insight to what might be waiting for you on the inside. Following a girl named Dee, she has a bad hip and walks with a cane. One day, she's sitting in a booth in a local diner, and a man approaches her with a strange request. He wants to pay her $500 a day to do some kind of mysterious work, neither she or the man will get in trouble from it, it's a win-win.

Check out my full review here!

Check out my full review here!

Leslie
    Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    November is a complex graphic novel that feels like Tarantino crossed with a noir. Vol 1 contains four interwoven tales filled with mystery, tension and plenty of questions. I fell in love with Matt Fraction's take on Marvel's Hawkeye and couldn't wait to read November. Now I eagerly await more of this tale with Vol 2!
    Adam Bender
    Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A weird graphic novel with classic Matt Fraction wordsmithing. The art reminded me a little of the band Gorillaz in its edgy cartoonishness. Like a good episode of Twin Peaks, what's happening is not always clear, but the mystery is compelling enough to want to continue the story in the upcoming second volume.
    Hannah | Words of Hannah Kay
    I first saw this 0n Edelweiss+ and it was the beauty of the cover that urged me to request it. However, I was majorly let down. I was confused half of the time and didn't know what was happening nor did I care for the characters. As for the art, I wasn't really fan of the style BUT I did like a the colour scheme that it was done in.
    Casey
    Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    I'm generally a huge fan of Matt Fraction's writing, but the style of weaving the story between characters and timelines just makes this a confusing as hell, frustrating read. Maybe when all three volumes are published it will be a worthwhile read, but after finishing this, I don't feel any anticipation for what comes next.
    Lukas Holmes
    Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I have no idea what is happening and I could not be happier.
    justine
    Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    matt fraction never fails
    Annamae
    Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Love the experience, raw, and interesting use of color.
    Hannah Collins
    Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
    Seems interesting but was kind of hard to follow along. Lettering was hard to read at some parts.
    Jesse Richards
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
    Incomprehensible and depressing.
    Jason Ragle
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
    So frustrating only having one of three parts to a story.
    Zoe
    Nov 08, 2019
    Drew
    Nov 10, 2019
    « previous 1 3 next »

• Movies (And Other Things)
    • Snow, Glass, Apples
    • Pumpkinheads
    • Little Bird: The Fight for Elder's Hope
    • Serious Moonlight
    • By Chance or Providence
    • Gabriel: Lord of Regrets (Lonely Lords, #5)
    • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    • Lie With Me
    • Preacher, Book 4
    • Preacher, Book 3
    • Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter
    • Baking Me Crazy (Donner Bakery, #1)
    • Moonlighter (The Company, #1)
    "How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art degree at/>Education