Start by marking “Lost In The Jungle” as Want to Read:
Lost In The Jungle

Lost In The Jungle

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  3,736 Ratings  ·  296 Reviews
Four backpackers meet in Bolivia and set off into the rainforest on a dream expedition, lured by the promise of uncharted villages and forgotten tribes hidden in places tourists only dream of seeing. But what begins as the adventure of a lifetime quickly becomes a struggle when they get lost in the Amazonian jungle.
Published July 1st 2008 by Summersdale Publishers (first published 1985)

Jessaka
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure-true

On the inside of the cover of the book I am reading there is written in ink: "Ron: I think we could have co-authored this book!! Merry Christmas. Erik 2005"

Would love to hear their story as well, so it is too bad that Erik didn't write his last name in the book, because then I could try to find him on the internet and if I had found him, I would have let him know that I now have the book and so on.

I also would have loved to have taken a trip like this one when I was younger, that is, if I had no
Nigeyb
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it
The book opens with Yossi Ghinsberg's 'Acknowledgements': a page and a half of flowery, gushing, quasi-mystical thank yous. This didn't auger well. Yossi Ghinsberg's writing style is pretty basic. I wonder if this is a translation - which might explain his style.

I have read a few accounts of what could be labelled Travel Misadventures, Personal Disasters, or Idiots Taking Silly Risks & Living To Tell The Tale. These include, Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival,
Elena
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-stories
As far as the storyline goes, it is incredible, amazing, and a total 5 star entertainment keeping you on the edge of your seat until you finish the book. Then, if you think that it is actually a true story, and that these people get into all that trouble because of their absolute stupidity and unawareness of what might be happening to them, you ask yourself "why should i give this book 5 stars"? They are idiots who are convinced that going through the jungle is no different than walking through ...more
Crystal Durnan
I read the book "Lost in the Jungle", though when I search for that in goodreads this is what comes up. Same author, so I am assuming it's the same book (hopefully better edited than the .99 Amazon deal I got)

I almost didn't make it past the first third of this book. I put it down for several days, with no intention of picking it back up. Three of the four men that this book is about are very unlikable; they are arrogant, brash and had zero respect for the jungle or its inhabitants. They mistrea
Joe
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
The main story (a jungle trek gone bad) is slow to get started, and the character interactions are not very believable, despite this being nonfiction. Much of the book is taken up with petty bickering between the characters. The story reads more like the diary of a junior high school girl than the survival story of a grown man. It only gets 2 stars because the adventure manages to shine through in parts. Overall not worth the time.
Kressel Housman
Three different things pulled me toward this book, and I'm going to list them, not in order of their importance to me, but in chronological order of when I learned about each. First of all, Daniel Radcliffe is currently filming the movie adaptation of the book. Second, the author and protagonist is an Israeli Jew, and third, since it's about survival in nature, I hoped it would interest my oldest son. As it turns out, my son says he doesn't want to read any books about survival in nature unless ...more
Allisonperkel
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
"Jungle" is a wonderful, thrill ride of a book. Its the true story of Yossi, a young man just out of the Israeli army who is traveling around South America after his tour of duty. I can easily picture him, backpack and guide book in hand, striking up conversations with people at hostels and in bars as many travelers are wont to do.

His travel plans get changed when he meets a man in Peru: Marcus. Marcus convinces him that instead of heading to Machu Picchu he should go to Boliva, with Marcus, in
Nikki Eddy
Had to quit reading it...I normally love books like this, but Ghinsberg and his buddies were imperialistic idiots. I've read Amazonian accounts by men in the early 20th Century that sounded less bourgeois, arrogant and racist (he refers to indigenous tribes as "savages" on more than one occasion). If you're looking to read a better book on Amazonian adventures by white guys, read The Lost City of Z or The River of Doubt.
Kathy Worrell  ツ
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I like the non-fiction, lost in the jungle, adventures.

Yossi’s story captivated me from page one.

I actually shed a few tears, despite knowing that he (obviously) survived.
John Fahy
Aug 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
picked up this book in search of a nail biting adventure, instead I received a mind blowing, badly written, boring journal. I would rather read an account of someone who ventured into Walmart Asda to buy a pickled egg. I am shocked in regards to the authors lack of descriptive writing and to why he needs to literate boring details, such as eating a cucumber. it's as if a seven year old has written it...
David
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone looking for an exciting adventure read
What an adventure. Four young men from very diverse backgrounds meet in South America nd decide to "explore" the jungle. They had no idea what they were in for and were even less prepared for the trip. This book is about the essence of stupidity. A thrilling page turner with a surprise ending.
Tom
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Seemed like a work of fiction. No one to back up the story and just seemed made up.
Mook
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
In some ways, I find non-fiction books a lot harder to review than fiction books. This is an account of actual events, narrated by Yossi Ghinsberg, making them a personal account of his survival during the two weeks he was lost in the Amazon rainforest.

I will just start with a couple things I did not like. First of all, as a women who has traveled solo, no way in the world would I follow a strange man into the rainforest, without the proper gear or food supplies, under the assumption we would be
Texan Holly Reads
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jungle is the story of how four men walked into the Amazon Jungle and only two were able to come out alive or so we think. As the story starts, we are introduced to a young Israeli named Yossi who then joins up with three other men to go deep into the Amazon Jungle. You think what could go wrong since they are young, healthy men with a guide who seems to know where everything is but not all is what it seems for this group. It takes the four of them to split off to two teams for things to start g ...more
Mike
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a "mochilero" myself, a lot of feelings in the book are very relatable. Backpackers experience such a diverse palette of emotions while setting themselves in the unknown, be it the Amazon jungle or the concrete jungle. As for the book itself, it felt very much like I was being told a story by one of my elders, complete with words of wisdom at the conclusion of the book. A couple parts did drag on a bit, hence the 4 stars. All in all, I highly recommend the book. It is a fairly quick and ea ...more
Katie Bliss
I saw there was a movie based on this (I know, a lot of my posts start like that - just leave me alone) and I LOVE survival stories, so I gave this one a whirl. Though I definitely agree that it was harrowing and that guy should not be alive, the book just didn't grip me as much as I thought it would. The real survival story started about halfway through, and it was all narrated in first person, of course, but just not the greatest writing, though it did communicate his feelings (fear, excitemen ...more
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
This was tougher to get through than I thought it would be. :( FRTC.
Kay Campbell
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karndog
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good solid survival story, just like I like them!
cassie
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-book-club
Could’ve used a ghost writer.
Danny Tyran
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs, jungle
Ðɑηηɑ
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventurers and people who want to see the world, after-army-Israelis
Recommended to Ðɑηηɑ by: My mother
I like stories based on real life events, from three reasons:
1. the characters and plot are authentic. The fact the story is real helps me understand that the characters are true and alive (or might be alive, sadly). Sometimes, in adventure books I feel like some characters are so magnificent or lionhearted that they just can't be real and Intelligible. In the true story, I can point out characteristics of the character, and know that they were absolutely real: if someone is very brave and risk-
Barbarac
Wow. Any desire that I had of ever traveling through a jungle has just vaporized.
Don't give up on this book half way because, like me, you thought this is the story of some ignorant young hippies who decide to brave mother nature without any preparation. If you like the show Survivor, with all its soap opera drama, then you'll love the beginning part of this trip. Four semi-acquainted non-Bolivian men decide to go out on the Bolivian jungle on their own. Drama ensues. Fights and arguments and "y
Fanny
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jungle Book Review
The memoir “Jungle” is “A thrilling book… one man's amazing adventure opened up the Bolivian wilderness to the world,”(The Washington Post). It's a breathtaking gripping roller coaster assuring you a great ride. This galvanized memoir by Yossi Ghinsberg is a thrilling journey through the wilderness. It narrows Yossi Ghinsberg, Kevin Gale, Karl Ruchprecter, and Marcus Stamm excursion through the “Jungle” in attempts of survival. This memoir offers a variety of engaging perspecti
Amerynth
Yossi Ghinsberg's "Lost in the Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival" tells the story of Ghinsberg's trip into the Bolivian jungle and his three weeks surviving alone after being separated from his friends. As a survival story, it is pretty amazing as Ghinsberg survives starvation, jaguars, torrential rains and bugs before he is rescued. In that way the story is compelling. However, it was difficult to like the book because I so disliked Yossi -- who created a good portion of his own troubl ...more
Wazedur Rahman Wazed
"La vida es bonita - Life is Beautiful"

সতযিই জীবন অনেক সুনদর। এই খুটি বিহীন বিশাল আকাস, শানত সনিগধ হিমেল বাতাস, বয়ে চলা সরোতসবিনীর ছলাৎছলাৎ কাবয, ডানায় সবপনের রঙ নিয়ে ছুটে চলা পরজাপতি, পাখির কলতান। পরকৃতি খাবার দেয় আশরয়ও দেয়। পরকৃতির একেকটা উপাদান মিলিয়েই জীবন অনেক সুনদর হয়ে উঠে। কিনতু সতযিই কি পরকৃতি এত দয়ালু...? সবসময় ই কি পরকৃতি এত শানত থাকে...? নাকি পরকৃতিও মাঝে মাঝে খুব বিরুপ আচরণ করে যা ইতিহাসের পাতায় লিপিবদধ হয়ে উঠে...?

"If someone above is watching over me, I thought, he'll surely provid
Shannon
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gena Schwam
Recommended to Shannon by: Tere D'Amato
My mother lent me this book because she thought I would enjoy. It's quite the adventure story! I actually sat down and read the entire book in a single day, because I couldn't stop reading. At first, it takes a chapter or two to adjust to Yossi's writing style, but once you have arrived in the Amazon rainforest, it's impossible to stop reading because you to know what happens next. For me, having been in South America recently, in Peru and even in the rainforest, it was very easy to imagine the ...more
Babs
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book. This book reads similarly to Touching the Void by Joe Simpson which I read earlier this year. Both are amazing stories about survival in the harshest of circumstances. I got extremely engrossed in Ghinsberg's story, really feeling the highs and lows of the journey as he related it. It seems easy to look back and pinpoint the mistakes the group made, but I guess when you are in that situation then things can seem very different.

An excellent read.
Ned
An extremely interesting story of survival and the horrors of the psychological impact as well. I didn't care for his writing style, and he came across quite arrogant in the beginning of the book, which was a bit of turn off.
Regardless, still a worthy read and am amazed he did survive, it was definitely close to hell he pulled through.
Wis
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find the writing style to be rich enough so I decided not to give it a 5 stars (I don't know if it's a translation).
BUT ANYWAY this book builds up from a dream adventure into an incredibly agonizing survival mission. A true man versus nature story, but also a lot of information for backpackers. It will make you crave your next trip!
  • The Darkest Jungle: The True Story of the Darien Expedition and America's Ill-Fated Race to Connect the Seas
  • Brazilian Adventure
  • True North: Peary, Cook, and the Race to the Pole
  • Mawson's Will: The Greatest Polar Survival Story Ever Written
  • In Trouble Again: A Journey Between the Orinoco and the Amazon
  • As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me: The Extraordinary True Story of One Man's Escape from a Siberian Labour Camp and His 3-Year Trek to Freedom
  • Through the Brazilian Wilderness
  • Crazy River: Exploration and Folly in East Africa
  • Farther Than Any Man: The Rise and Fall of Captain James Cook
  • In the Land of White Death: An Epic Story of Survival in the Siberian Arctic
  • Death in the Long Grass: A Big Game Hunter's Adventures in the African Bush
Yossi Ghinsberg is an Israeli adventurer, author, entrepreneur, humanitarian, and motivational speaker based in Australia.
Ghinsberg is most known for his survival story of when he was stranded in an uncharted part of the Bolivian Amazon jungle for three weeks in 1981
“I just have to make it to the Tuichi' I mumbled to myself, 'I just have to make it to the Tuichi'.

Alone, deep in the jungle, so small and insignificant, pitted against nature, still I sensed someone was watching me. Or watching over me.Someone could see me, someone was providing for me”
3 likes
“When we came out of the cookhouse, we found the boy's father, the Indian man who had been grazing the horses in the pasture, waiting for us. He wanted someone to tell his troubles to. He looked about guardedly, afraid that the Señora might overhear him.

'Take a look at me' he said. I don't even know how old I am. When I was young, the Señor brought me here. He promised to pay me and give me a plot of my own. 'Look at my clothes' he said, pointing to the patches covering his body. 'I can't remember how many years I've been wearing them. I have no others. I live in a mud hut with my wife and sons. They all work for the Señor like me. They don't go to school. They don't know how to read or write; they don't even speak Spanish. We work for the master, raise his cattle and work his fields. We only get rice and plantains to eat. Nobody takes care of us when we are sick. The women here have their babies in these filthy huts.'

'Why don't you eat meat or at least milk the cows?' I asked.

'We aren't allowed to slaughter a cow. And the milk goes to the calves. We can't even have chicken or pork - only if an animal gets sick and dies. Once I raised a pig in my yard' he went on. 'She had a litter of three. When the Señor came back he told the foreman to shoot them. That's the only time we ever had good meat.'

'I don't mind working for the Señor but I want him to keep his promise. I want a piece of land of my own so I can grow rice and yucca and raise a few chickens and pigs. That's all.' 'Doesn't he pay you anything?' Kevin asked. 'He says he pays us but he uses our money to buy our food. We never get any cash. Kind sirs, maybe you can help me to persuade the master . Just one little plot is all I want. The master has land, much land.'

We were shocked by his tale. Marcus took out a notebook and pen. 'What's his name?'. He wrote down the name. The man didn't know the address. He only knew that the Señor lived in La Paz.

Marcus was infuriated. 'When I find the owner of the ranch, I'll spit right in his eye. What a lousy bastard! I mean, it's really incredible'. 'That's just the way things are,' Karl said. 'It's sad but there's nothing we can do about it.”
2 likes