Start by marking “Lost in the Jungle” as Want to Read:
Lost in the Jungle

Lost in the Jungle

Four backpackers meet in Bolivia and set off into the rainforest on a dream expedition, lured by the promise of uncharted villages and forgotten tribes hidden in places tourists only dream of seeing. But what begins as the adventure of a lifetime quickly becomes a struggle when they get lost in the Amazonian jungle.
Published July 1st 2008 by Summersdale Publishers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Lost in the Jungle, please sign up.
Ery Too bad someone can't go back in time and edit the book itself, which is riddled with "muchilero".

Start your review of Lost in the Jungle
Jessaka
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure-true

On the inside of the cover of the book I am reading there is written in ink: "Ron: I think we could have co-authored this book!! Merry Christmas. Erik 2005"

Would love to hear their story as well, so it is too bad that Erik didn't write his last name in the book, because then I could try to find him on the internet and if I had found him, I would have let him know that I now have the book and so on.

I also would have loved to have taken a trip like this one when I was younger, that is, if I had no
Diane in Australia
Very good book by Yossi about the 3 weeks he spent lost, and alone, in an uncharted section of the Amazon jungle in Bolivia. The tale begins in Peru, where he meets the other men, and they decide to go into the Amazon. The first half of the book relates their journey together. The last half of the book is about Yossi's ordeal all alone, and his eventual rescue.

4 Stars = Outstanding. It definitely held my interest.
Nigeyb
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it
The book opens with Yossi Ghinsberg's 'Acknowledgements': a page and a half of flowery, gushing, quasi-mystical thank yous. This didn't auger well. Yossi Ghinsberg's writing style is pretty basic. I wonder if this is a translation - which might explain his style.

I have read a few accounts of what could be labelled Travel Misadventures, Personal Disasters, or Idiots Taking Silly Risks & Living To Tell The Tale. These include, Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival, Int
Elena
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-stories
As far as the storyline goes, it is incredible, amazing, and a total 5 star entertainment keeping you on the edge of your seat until you finish the book. Then, if you think that it is actually a true story, and that these people get into all that trouble because of their absolute stupidity and unawareness of what might be happening to them, you ask yourself "why should i give this book 5 stars"? They are idiots who are convinced that going through the jungle is no different than walking through ...more
Sean Peters
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A touching, shocking, harrowing, incredible, story.

Yosseph "Yossi" Ghinsberg is an Israeli adventurer, author, entrepreneur, humanitarian, and motivational speaker based in Australia. Ghinsberg is most known for his survival story when he was stranded in an uncharted part of the Bolivian Amazon jungle for three weeks in 1981.

Yossi tells an incredible story of survival, the shocking facts of how to survive, how hard to survive, how the body can go through so much....

One thing is for sure, well a
Crystal Durnan
I read the book "Lost in the Jungle", though when I search for that in goodreads this is what comes up. Same author, so I am assuming it's the same book (hopefully better edited than the .99 Amazon deal I got)

I almost didn't make it past the first third of this book. I put it down for several days, with no intention of picking it back up. Three of the four men that this book is about are very unlikable; they are arrogant, brash and had zero respect for the jungle or its inhabitants. They mistrea
Kressel Housman
Three different things pulled me toward this book, and I'm going to list them, not in order of their importance to me, but in chronological order of when I learned about each. First of all, Daniel Radcliffe is currently filming the movie adaptation of the book. Second, the author and protagonist is an Israeli Jew, and third, since it's about survival in nature, I hoped it would interest my oldest son. As it turns out, my son says he doesn't want to read any books about survival in nature unless ...more
Joe
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
The main story (a jungle trek gone bad) is slow to get started, and the character interactions are not very believable, despite this being nonfiction. Much of the book is taken up with petty bickering between the characters. The story reads more like the diary of a junior high school girl than the survival story of a grown man. It only gets 2 stars because the adventure manages to shine through in parts. Overall not worth the time.
aPriL does feral sometimes
'Jungle' by Yossi Ghinsberg is a memoir of an incredible month-long trek into and out of a Bolivian jungle! The trip was originally supposed to be only a fun two-week camping and hiking experience for four adventure junkies. After the first week, things went terribly wrong. Getting out became a survival walk of solitary hell. Awful parasites, jaguars, fire ants, constant rain, a major storm, bogs, overturned rafts in fast moving streams - I was horrified and intrigued by the descriptions. Ghinsb ...more
Nikki Eddy
Had to quit reading it...I normally love books like this, but Ghinsberg and his buddies were imperialistic idiots. I've read Amazonian accounts by men in the early 20th Century that sounded less bourgeois, arrogant and racist (he refers to indigenous tribes as "savages" on more than one occasion). If you're looking to read a better book on Amazonian adventures by white guys, read The Lost City of Z or The River of Doubt.
Allisonperkel
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
"Jungle" is a wonderful, thrill ride of a book. Its the true story of Yossi, a young man just out of the Israeli army who is traveling around South America after his tour of duty. I can easily picture him, backpack and guide book in hand, striking up conversations with people at hostels and in bars as many travelers are wont to do.

His travel plans get changed when he meets a man in Peru: Marcus. Marcus convinces him that instead of heading to Machu Picchu he should go to Boliva, with Marcus, in
Shaikha Alahmad
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jungle is a captivating book for explorers; not just of the physical world, but also of the mind.
A touching, shocking, incredible story. The kind of experience that’ll make you hold your breath.

Yosseph ”Yossi" Ghinsberg is an Israeli adventurer, author, entrepreneur, humanitarian, and motivational speaker based in Australia. Ghinsberg is most known for his survival story when he was stranded in an uncharted part of the Bolivian Amazon jungle for three weeks in 1981.
Yossi tells an incredible stor
Madeline
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I like the non-fiction, lost in the jungle, adventures.

Yossi’s story captivated me from page one.

I actually shed a few tears, despite knowing that he (obviously) survived.
John Fahy
Aug 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
picked up this book in search of a nail biting adventure, instead I received a mind blowing, badly written, boring journal. I would rather read an account of someone who ventured into Walmart Asda to buy a pickled egg. I am shocked in regards to the authors lack of descriptive writing and to why he needs to literate boring details, such as eating a cucumber. it's as if a seven year old has written it...
Tom
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Seemed like a work of fiction. No one to back up the story and just seemed made up.
Farhina Jannat
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I love survival stories.... So, this was certainly no exception. At first, the book felt a little slow but it was exciting once they enter in the Jungle.... Since I am in a block, it took me more time to finish than usual.
But I will never forget this book, because it made me miss my stop and I had to get down two stoppage later from Bus 😑
Kimberly
Sep 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Normally, this is a book I’d be all over. I love this sort of survival story. However, I was shocked at not only how terrible his writing is but also how boring he could make it sound. Overall the impression I left with is this is a book about arrogant and entitled men who make one stupid decision after another.
Vicky Hunt
Protagonist so Unlikable he Bullies His Imaginary Friend:

Yet it is also one of the most intriguing stories I've read this year. Yossi is telling the true story of how he and 2 guys he met while backpacking in Bolivia hire a 4th friendly stranger to guide them through the jungle for a river ride. Of course, it was all the guide's idea. And, these crazy kids are looking for an adventure of a lifetime... and it finds them.

At first, I was shocked at what a jerk Yossi seemed to be, but he stated eve
Barbarac
Wow. Any desire that I had of ever traveling through a jungle has just vaporized.
Don't give up on this book half way because, like me, you thought this is the story of some ignorant young hippies who decide to brave mother nature without any preparation. If you like the show Survivor, with all its soap opera drama, then you'll love the beginning part of this trip. Four semi-acquainted non-Bolivian men decide to go out on the Bolivian jungle on their own. Drama ensues. Fights and arguments and "y
♥ Marlene♥
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love survivor stories
What a great read.

I added this book to my wish list cause I like survivor stories and this one was recommended to me by amazon plus it had good reviews.

When I started I did not know anything really about this book and that is the best way to start reading so I won’t spoil here but I am going to tell you, if you like survivor stories buy this book. I can just say one word. Wow!!!

Caroline
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to believe three reasonably intelligent young men would follow such an obvious shyster into the jungle. He was acting dodgy before they even left! It's easy to judge from the comfort of my couch.
Yossis' story is incredible. Only someone with true grit could have survived that ordeal. An amazing adventure book.
David
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone looking for an exciting adventure read
What an adventure. Four young men from very diverse backgrounds meet in South America nd decide to "explore" the jungle. They had no idea what they were in for and were even less prepared for the trip. This book is about the essence of stupidity. A thrilling page turner with a surprise ending.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
This was tougher to get through than I thought it would be. :( FRTC.
Mook
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
In some ways, I find non-fiction books a lot harder to review than fiction books. This is an account of actual events, narrated by Yossi Ghinsberg, making them a personal account of his survival during the two weeks he was lost in the Amazon rainforest.

I will just start with a couple things I did not like. First of all, as a women who has traveled solo, no way in the world would I follow a strange man into the rainforest, without the proper gear or food supplies, under the assumption we would be
Mike
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a "mochilero" myself, a lot of feelings in the book are very relatable. Backpackers experience such a diverse palette of emotions while setting themselves in the unknown, be it the Amazon jungle or the concrete jungle. As for the book itself, it felt very much like I was being told a story by one of my elders, complete with words of wisdom at the conclusion of the book. A couple parts did drag on a bit, hence the 4 stars. All in all, I highly recommend the book. It is a fairly quick and ea ...more
Katie Bliss
I saw there was a movie based on this (I know, a lot of my posts start like that - just leave me alone) and I LOVE survival stories, so I gave this one a whirl. Though I definitely agree that it was harrowing and that guy should not be alive, the book just didn't grip me as much as I thought it would. The real survival story started about halfway through, and it was all narrated in first person, of course, but just not the greatest writing, though it did communicate his feelings (fear, excitemen ...more
Ariel
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A remarkable adventure with themes of bravery, hope and human nature stripped bare by the wilds of the jungle. If your interest was piqued by the movie, you'll enjoy the book. Lots more detail about the jungle experience, and a long juicy epilogue.
Karndog
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good solid survival story, just like I like them!
Kay Campbell
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristina
Dec 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was hoping for something much better, like The Lost Citt of Z or The Lost Girls but this was Animal cruelty, bad writing, stupid decisions, hunting exotic game, etc. pass.

• 438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea
  • Walking the Amazon: 860 Days. The Impossible Task. The Incredible Journey
  • Lost in the Wild: Danger and Survival in the North Woods
  • Ruthless River: Love and Survival by Raft on the Amazon's Relentless Madre de Dios
  • Last Man Off: A True Story of Disaster and Survival on the Antarctic Seas
  • Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival
  • Coming Back Alive: The True Story of the Most Harrowing Search and Rescue Mission Ever Attempted on Alaska's High Seas
  • Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea
  • The Twenty-Ninth Day
  • BAD KARMA: The True Story of a Mexico Trip from Hell
  • As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me: The Extraordinary True Story of One Man's Escape from a Siberian Labour Camp and His 3-Year Trek to Freedom
  • Man on a Raft: Fifty Days Adrift at Sea
  • Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors
  • Escape
  • The Devil: Britain's Most Feared Underworld Taxman
  • Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World
  • Naked and Marooned: One Man. One Island.
Yossi Ghinsberg is an Israeli adventurer, author, entrepreneur, humanitarian, and motivational speaker based in Australia.
Ghinsberg is most known for his survival story of when he was stranded in an uncharted part of the Bolivian Amazon jungle for three weeks in 1981

Related Articles

“I just have to make it to the Tuichi' I mumbled to myself, 'I just have to make it to the Tuichi'.

Alone, deep in the jungle, so small and insignificant, pitted against nature, still I sensed someone was watching me. Or watching over me.Someone could see me, someone was providing for me”
3 likes
“When we came out of the cookhouse, we found the boy's father, the Indian man who had been grazing the horses in the pasture, waiting for us. He wanted someone to tell his troubles to. He looked about guardedly, afraid that the Señora might overhear him.

'Take a look at me' he said. I don't even know how old I am. When I was young, the Señor brought me here. He promised to pay me and give me a plot of my own. 'Look at my clothes' he said, pointing to the patches covering his body. 'I can't remember how many years I've been wearing them. I have no others. I live in a mud hut with my wife and sons. They all work for the Señor like me. They don't go to school. They don't know how to read or write; they don't even speak Spanish. We work for the master, raise his cattle and work his fields. We only get rice and plantains to eat. Nobody takes care of us when we are sick. The women here have their babies in these filthy huts.'

'Why don't you eat meat or at least milk the cows?' I asked.

'We aren't allowed to slaughter a cow. And the milk goes to the calves. We can't even have chicken or pork - only if an animal gets sick and dies. Once I raised a pig in my yard' he went on. 'She had a litter of three. When the Señor came back he told the foreman to shoot them. That's the only time we ever had good meat.'

'I don't mind working for the Señor but I want him to keep his promise. I want a piece of land of my own so I can grow rice and yucca and raise a few chickens and pigs. That's all.' 'Doesn't he pay you anything?' Kevin asked. 'He says he pays us but he uses our money to buy our food. We never get any cash. Kind sirs, maybe you can help me to persuade the master . Just one little plot is all I want. The master has land, much land.'

We were shocked by his tale. Marcus took out a notebook and pen. 'What's his name?'. He wrote down the name. The man didn't know the address. He only knew that the Señor lived in La Paz.

Marcus was infuriated. 'When I find the owner of the ranch, I'll spit right in his eye. What a lousy bastard! I mean, it's really incredible'. 'That's just the way things are,' Karl said. 'It's sad but there's nothing we can do about it.”
2 likes