Jump to ratings and reviews

City of Wishes #5

The Starlight Quest

After finally receiving the one thing she's wanted for so many years, Elle sets out to pay the price demanded by the Godmother: she will travel through the Never Woods and complete a quest that will—if the Godmother's shocking story is to be believed—change her life.

And possibly the world.

~ ~ ~

CITY OF WISHES is an urban fantasy serialized retelling of Cinderella.

~ ~ ~

In a world of fae, vampires and shifters, where wishes can be bought and bargained for, Elle is human, bound to her stepmother by a slave charm. Her only hope at freedom is to wish for it. But the Godmother rules the illegal wish trade, and the price she demands is steep. Is Elle willing to pay it?

100 pages, ebook

Published June 28, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Rachel Morgan

49 books1,656 followers
Rachel Morgan spent a good deal of her childhood living in a fantasy land of her own making, crafting endless stories of make-believe and occasionally writing some of them down. After completing a degree in genetics and discovering she still wasn’t grown-up enough for a ‘real’ job, she decided to return to those story worlds still spinning around her imagination.

These days she spends much of her time immersed in fantasy land once more, writing fiction for young adults and those young at heart.

**AUTHOR NEWSLETTER**
Sign up to my newsletter for book updates, cover reveals, exclusive content, and more! http://smarturl.it/RMnewsletter

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
20 (3%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 74 reviews
Profile Image for Charlotte.
420 reviews1 follower
July 2, 2019
Another brilliant episode from Rachel Morgan.
I really enjoyed the "Starlight Quest" book #5 in the "City of Wishes"

I really enjoy following Ellas story and her adventures. Rachel has a wonderful way of writing that pulls you into her stories as if you are there with Ella and Dex. I do love it when you get so pulled into a book.

I can't wait for book #6

Again this deserves 5 stars from me. Brilliant.
Profile Image for Maria✨.
166 reviews39 followers
June 23, 2021
Probably the least interesting book of the series up to know as it tries to incorporate the basic formula of a quest that makes little sense. Godmother knows no details and seems pretty honest about that (which makes no sense given her character and age) and the proceedings are very basic. Elle needs 3 companions, each of the High Races and each of them needs to solve a problem.

The whole idea is very basic and the execution as well. However, it should be noted that the characters themselves comment on it, making it known that the author is not blind to the way it is written and despite having this part inside the series does not mean she does not know that it should go by fast. One would wonder why incorporate it at all, since there should be other, more interesting ways with the same result, but it is what it is.

Now that everything is set, I cannot wait to see what will happen to the end. We should have a happy ending, right?
Profile Image for Tiffany  (Bluestocking).
414 reviews12 followers
January 21, 2022
Who knew a quest would be so boring. I expected action and intrigue but nothing much happened so the ending was anticlimactic. Elle didn’t even do anything 🙄 Anyway, hopefully the last installment would be better.

Content: Clean, kissing, mild language
Profile Image for Lizzie Rhoades.
379 reviews5 followers
January 14, 2021
For a quest story, it was a bit boring. Nothing was unexpected, I was never very worried. But I did enjoy the characters!
Profile Image for Diane Lynch.
1,653 reviews35 followers
July 2, 2019
Rachel Morgan’s THE STARLIGHT QUEST (City of Wishes #5) is enchanting. I cannot get enough of this retelling of the Cinderella fairytale. In this segment, Elle sets out on a quest as her payment to the Godmother for her freedom.

THE STARLIGHT QUEST was exciting from start to finish. Elle enlists the help of a few friends to join her on her quest. She discovers more about her past. She experiences a lot as her life dramatically transforms. All the while, we are still not certain of the Godmother’s ulterior motives.

Rachel Morgan’s THE STARLIGHT QUEST is creative and skillfully written. It is a thrilling addition to the City of Wishes story. I am anxiously awaiting the final book, THE EVERAFTER WISH. I highly recommend this series to people who enjoy paranormal fairytale retelling. I suggest reading the books in order, you will not want to miss a single detail in this exciting story.
Profile Image for Stephanie -BooksLessTravelled.
891 reviews113 followers
June 28, 2019
I knew I'd enjoy this one, but I didn't realize how much! I was excited to read an advance copy, which does not affect my review, and this review is voluntary. Once again, this series had me up late into the night to finish it, and I couldn't be happier! I'm always up for a good challenge, trial, quest type story, and this one had each of those! I loved seeing the characters work to solve the problems they faced in this one, and I totally called the 'shifter' part when I started reading this! I'm excited to see the next and final episode in this series!
Profile Image for Maria Elena | _mkarys.
437 reviews175 followers
June 28, 2019
This is the second-to-last episode of the City of Wishes series. This one was very fun to read. I read it in one hour because I couldn’t put it down! Like Elle, I am still uncertain what the Godmother’s catch is, I can’t believe things are what they seem with that woman. Needless to say, I’m very excited for the conclusion of the series!
Profile Image for Janine.
312 reviews53 followers
January 5, 2023
This episode is a pure adventure quest, with danger and fun character interactions. After an interesting and massive lore dump, Elle and her companions are whisked away on a life changing quest. I love the challenges she has to go into and I was shocked by one of the twists. Very intriguing and I did love the shifter character that went along with them. The world building was also on point in this episode. Oddly, the end of the episode didn't have the same punch as the others, especially considering the next episode is the last one. Still highly recommended and looking forward to the finale.
Profile Image for Arin Barry.
36 reviews5 followers
July 3, 2019
I don’t know how Rachel does it? I’m constantly at the edge of my seat while furiously debating if I should take a break and savor this episode or just read nonstop to find out what happens. I don’t know why I do it, because I always end up reading it in one sitting XD

Rachel has created such interesting, compelling and complex characters, I basically want a book dedicated to each of them (the Fairy Godmother being my favourite character, so a book from her POV would be amazing 😉)

I’m so amped for the final episode, I absolutely NEED to know how this will all end.
Profile Image for Siobhan Yilmaz.
134 reviews2 followers
June 26, 2019
So, Elle gets more entangled in the godmothers plans after saving Dex. His darkness is gone, but now Elle has to complete a quest in return for the wish.
I won't spoil anything, but the quest is so freaky! It may be difficult, but part of me wants to go on it too.
Again, I flew through this episode in lightening speed in a hurry to find out what happens, only to be disappointed when I reached the end - in a good way...I need more!!
Profile Image for Sabrina.
1,226 reviews26 followers
June 29, 2019
Wow, the tests and trials just don't stop! After granting Elle another wish, the Godmother sends her on a quest, but this time it's something Elle actually wants . Except she is sure there will be a catch at the end, there always is with the Godmother.
I'm really looking forward to the final instalment of City of Wishes.
Profile Image for Candace Barnard.
60 reviews3 followers
June 29, 2019
Once again this is a gripping ride! Elle now has a new price to pay and this time she can't do it alone. This penultimate episode sets up the final episode beautifully with a few secrets uncovered and a life changing wish. I cannot wait to see what the final episode brings.
I will be chomping my nails in anticipation!
Profile Image for Jamie Lee Zonneveld.
1,214 reviews33 followers
July 6, 2019
The Starlight Quest is the fifth episode in Rachel Morgan's City of Wishes series. City Of Wishes is a Cinderella retelling. I love fairytale retellings and this one isn't a disappointment. I loved it and it's very well written. I love Elle, Dex and Sienna. Can't wait for the next and unfortunately last episode in this series!
June 27, 2019
Another fantastic installment to this fantasy retelling. Our fearless heroes embark on a new quest full of dangers and magic. I enjoyed the twists to the overall story and can’t wait for the final book!
Profile Image for Amanda Evans.
Author 4 books6 followers
August 22, 2022
It was an interesting task to have to do to save Dex, but I'm not sure how this is going to help the Godmother.

I thought that the Quest was rather silly, it tested the human, the vampire, and the shifter, but what was the point of the Fae? Shouldn't they each have to help in some way?

Also, I thought the point of having one of each race come along be a form of bonding. They never really hashed out their differences. They started to discuss the lack of trust but then it was swept under the rug.

It was interesting but it took away from the original storyline, and again for the second book, it felt more like filler than a story.

Profile Image for Alice.
80 reviews20 followers
September 16, 2020
This has definitely been my favourite episode so far.

I started this series as I needed an audiobook to listen to while I showered/cooked/did chores and I found the first episode for free. At first, I thought it was just another YA fantasy story, and honestly, it kind of is. And that's okay. I personally enjoyed each episode more than the previous and cannot wait to find out how it ends. Onto the next one (I am completely unashamed to say I spent an audible credit to get the whole series. Worth it in my books)
Profile Image for Valery.
Author 3 books18 followers
August 21, 2022
Probably the best book of the series. No abrupt ending this time, though you know more is to come, but still a bit on the short side.
I had the realization that Dex is 4 years older than Elle, yet he acts like a teenager. In fact, all of the characters seem to act younger than they are supposed to be. Maybe it's just me, but they do seem immature.

For my clean readers: mild language, romance-kissing, violence is hardly there, the only instance I can think of is when Dex attempts to kill the Godmother and she disappears. Not really violence at all.
Profile Image for Marie  Reed.
Author 2 books65 followers
November 4, 2022
This was a very "middle of the series" kind of book. One thing needs to happen for the series to finish, so an entire book is created for a mostly unrelated plot to get there.

The multiple unnecessary repetitions at the end were also a really annoying way to finish the story, but the one big takeaway from this book is pretty necessary for the last one, so 3.5 stars for a thankfully short read to get to book 6.
Profile Image for Ryan.
4,371 reviews22 followers
April 30, 2020
Turns out humans can acquire magic if they can complete the starlight quest. If humans had magic then they couldn’t be slaves anymore. The task is not simple, but it takes a crew. Ella needs to complete the quest and see the king to set humans free forever.
Profile Image for Tonie Lee.
Author 2 books2 followers
May 3, 2020
So far this has been a really good series. The episodes (individual books) are short. So I feel like I am making fast progress through a much longer book. I am also a sucker for a good Cinderella type story. 😉
Profile Image for Belle.
201 reviews1 follower
November 17, 2020
Another great instalment on this series. I’m loving the world building and the plot that we have in every book and how there is a over lying plot across the series.
This one was exceptionally great due to having a quest, love a quest.
Profile Image for Marina :).
55 reviews7 followers
January 5, 2020
Wow another great episode of this series! This one was so adventurous, interesting and magical! Still not sure how to feel about the Godmother though. Let‘s see what will happen in the conclusion!
Profile Image for Chrystele Myriam.
Author 9 books21 followers
July 26, 2020
Tried to read another book in between to take a little break but somehow I could not focus on it, I had to finish this series. I cannot believe only one book left and I finished the whole series!!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 74 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.