Start by marking “Road Racing for Serious Runners” as Want to Read:
Road Racing for Serious Runners

Road Racing for Serious Runners

Improve your racing performance through multispeed training! Whether your distance is 5K, marathon, or anything in between, this book tells you how to train smarter and run faster. Pete Pfitzinger - a world-class marathoner, distance running coach, and exercise physiologist - teams up with former Running Times editor-in-chief Scott Douglas to teach you how to: design a wee ...more
Published October 26th 1998 by Human Kinetics Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Road Racing for Serious Runners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Road Racing for Serious Runners

Joshua Thompson
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My third or fourth re-read of this one. Chock full of science-based advice, it's always good for a refresher. And as my training starts to increase, it also gives me motivation.
Joe
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A classic for runners. Want to get faster? Read this book and you’re in the right path
Anastasia Sidorova
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
Очень хорошая книга с готовыми планами по подготовке к различным дистанциям от 5 км до марафона. Подойдет как новичкам, так и уже опытным бегунам любителям. Есть три варианта планов в зависимости от недельного объема. Разъясняется как тренировать необходимые качества для каждой дистанции. Дано описание всех видов тренировок на развитие МПК, анаэробного порога, чистой выносливости и базовой скорости. На мой взгляд маловато уделено внимание вопросу восстановления между тренировками и построению пл ...more
Amy
Jun 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I thought the different aspects of running were very well explained so that a person (like myself) who does not have a physiology background can understand what goes on with your body during different lengths of runs.

I would definitely recommend this book for anyone interested in learning how to run better and what kind of workouts might work best.
Andrew Mcdouall
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to road running; provides the framework necessary to improve and excel. I've used Pfitzinger's training plan for the HM and found the structure of the workouts, and the reasoning behind them, solid.
Robert
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice how-to guide for runners that includes accessible discussions of a few fundamental principles of exercise physiology. The appendices at the back offer detailed training plans for races of various distances and runners of different speeds and experience levels.
Linda
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, running
This is a very nice reference book. I checked it out from the library, but I may buy it. Some of the info is a little outdated, but it is easy to follow, and the explanations are easy to understand.
Chrissie
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a very well-researched approach to training with proven results. For having such a scientific basis, the book could easily have been dry and boring, but wasn't at all. I didn't finish it because, while I think the plan is awesome, it's just not a good fit for me at this point in my life.
Melanie
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Currently following his HM plan "B" from the book.
Daniel haris
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is veru useful for me..I loved it!
Rouslan Grabar
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very helpful book. It's almost a complete runner's manual.
Konstantin Antypenko
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really good book on running, that gives you all you need to improve your result in running
Piotrek Byzia