Start by marking “Hood Academy” as Want to Read:
Hood Academy

Hood Academy

(Hood Academy #1-2)

Will she follow the pack…or destroy them?

A dead mother. A violent father. A missing brother.

When Mia’s father is murdered, it’s her estranged uncle that comes to the rescue, but what he offers her in return for his help could be worse than the life she is leaving behind.

Taken to Hood Academy, a unique school deep in the forest, she discovers friendships, love, and the
Published October 10th 2019 by BHC Press

To ask other readers questions about Hood Academy, please sign up.

Start your review of Hood Academy
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Shelley Wilson and BHC Press for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars

In every pack, a cub is born, which unleashes the hunter to protect and serve.

I enjoyed this. It had a bit of a similar and familiar feel to it of Buffy the Vampire. Except this was with werewolves and not vampires. I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this. The characters were interesting and likeable, or unlikeable depending on who they were. Aka Felicity. After
Katiria
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
*** I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much to NetGalley and BHC Press for the opportunity to read and review Hood Academy! ***

It's been a couple of years that I have read a werewolf book and I tell you I miss reading werewolf books. So I was really glad and happy when I stumble upon Hood Academy on NetGalley and saw that it was a werewolf book I had to check it out. And I am so glad and happy that I got approved to read this amazing book which
Marta Cox
Three and a half
Ok I'm going out on limb here and suggesting that this might have been previously published as two separate short books because that's how it feels with a second half that kind of reprises some things. That didn't bother me but oddly the pacing actually did.
I applaud the author on having such an original idea and she actually throws so much into this that if brutal it felt like overkill. I did really enjoy the story but oddly thought it would have had much more depth if it was
Aly
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
I haven't read a werewolf book for a while, so this was fun. After Mia sees her dad killed by a wolf, her mysterious uncle shows up to bring her to Hood Academy, which teaches girls to become werewolf hunters. Then Mia meets a boy in the woods who tells her that werewolves aren't as evil as she's been taught and she begins to question everything.
I liked the premise and the way the werewolves were explained. It was less magic and more science and nature, which is cool. I also thought Mia was a
Bespectacled Petal
I received a free advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Even though this book was classed as a horror, it was not. That does not mean, however, that it was not exciting. In Trinidad & Tobago folklore, the closest thing we have to a werewolf is a lagahoo. Lagahoo stories are still horrifying and many of us still shiver at the thought of confronting one. Werewolves, on the other hand, have evolved to become sexy and non-threatening. I am still not too sure how I feel about
Teri
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I've read a book featuring werewolves (Twilight maybe?), so I was excited to get into this novel. And the cover designer did a magnificent job at capturing readers' attention.

This novel starts out with a heart-pounding sequence when Mia witnesses a werewolf killing her father. From there, the plot takes off at a fast pace and rarely slows down. Mia is a strong protagonist, occasionally leaping into action before thinking things through, and she's suffered the loss of her
Ivy Bookdragon
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hood Academy is one of the few books where I think the author got Werewolves right.

I loved everything, how Shelley Wilson wrote about the wolves, about their interactions and - most importantly - she doesn't shy away from describing their turn. And she doesn't just scratch the surface and just mentions that it hurts, no I think Wilson captures the pain as well as the power and how exhausting and painful it must be when a body changes that extremely.

But besides loving this book for it's
Brittney Monroe
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my personal review!

It was definitely an interesting concept with the werewolves and hunters. The supernatural is typically a love of mine. However, I just couldn't get interested in this book. I wanted to so badly, but I just couldn't connect with the characters and the entire book felt rushed. This could have been a much larger and even developed into a series if the author would give into more backstory of the pack and history of the war between
Keith Chawgo
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelly Wilson’s new young adult novel, Hood Academy is an interesting premise that takes a tire old premise and turns it around for a modern young audience with winning reward for the reader.

The novel starts out with Mia, after the death of her father, is escorted to Hood Academy by Sebastian, her benefactor. Wilson moves the story at a very quick pace and we enter a world of hunter against werewolves with the line very blurred of who is good or who is bad. This leads credibility to the story
Kayla
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley for an honest review.

Hood Academy by Shelley Wilson

So I didn't realize it until I was actually at the breaker but this is two separate books being republished into one. I actually feel very differently about the two halves so I am going to review them separately and then give them an overall review.

Oath Breaker

I really loved this first book. I have not enjoyed a book this much since Blythewood by Carol Goodman, which this book is very similar too.
Sandra "Jeanz"
I decided I wanted to read this book after reading the BHC Press sampler 2019. It had the first few chapters this book among quite a collection of other titles too. This is the one book from the sampler that really stood out to me and made me want to read it. In fact, after reading the sample chapters it made this book a “must read”!

The book has quite a shocking beginning with the main character of Mia Roberts witnessing the murder of her father by a werewolf! With her mother being killed in a
Isabelle
Hood Academy by Shelley Wilson sadly was not what I was hoping it to be. I debated between two and three stars but decided to give it the benefit of the doubt because I did like the premise and series of events, which included a lot of action that moved the story along. But I felt that all their rescues and adventures were just way too easy to accomplish, there were too many coincidences in their favor, and they were unreasonably trusting of certain characters. I also felt parts of Mia's ...more
Kathy Mayer
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was different than most books about supernatural schools. For one there were a lot of fights with werewolves. It was interesting that the wolves lived so close to the academy. SPOILER ALERT; There was a lot of kidnapping by various people who lived & worked at the academy. Poor Miami went through a lot in this book. An abusive father, a mother dying & her brother just leaves her. And that all happens in the first few chapters! After her uncle shows up & takes her to live ...more
Munaza Tariq
I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Mia is taken to Hood Academy by her uncle after her father is killed in front of her eyes by a wolf. Yet Mia feels nothing for her father, as he has abused her all her life. The only person she trusted; her brother, who left and promised to return for her naver came back home.

Mia learns that the Hood Academy is not just another boarding school for young girls, but is in fact a place to train. A place to
Leslie M.
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've never read anything by Wilson in the past, but I will look for her future books! Besides Twilight I haven't read a lot of werewolf books. Hood Academy gets off to an action-packed start, and the author's descriptions keep the reader engaged through the final scene. This book has a bit of everything: mystery, friendships, romance, and a few unexpected twists. Sebastian's research added a nice twist to what could have been a typical werewolf story.

This was obviously two books put together in
Sari
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a digital advanced reader copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am not usually a fan of werewolf stories. Even when Twilight was all the rage, I was always 100 percent team Edward. But I will say.. Hood Academy really grabbed me and held my attention.

I really enjoyed Wilson’s look into this type of fantasy novel. It felt incredibly realistic and really different from most of the werewolf origin stories we usually get.

I actually found myself not wanting
Susan
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mia is 15 years old and feels like an outsider. She has led a hard life in that her mother died when sh was very young. Her brother looked out for her as her father became very abusive to her. Her brother leaves when he is in in his teens leaving Mia alone with her father. She begs him to take her but says no and that he will come back to get her. As her father was going to beat her, a giant wolf appears and kills her father. The wolf looks at her for a few moments and then leaves. While the ...more
Natalie
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGally for the ARC of this book for my honest review.

Hood Academy was your typical YA werewolf book for the most part. Hood Academy stuck pretty close to the "original werewolf" story. Full moon turning, pack community and following the alpha's orders. I think that Shelley put her own twist on the so called rivals to the werewolves. Which is really the only thing you can do in a place where there are so many stories based on one topic.

The writing for Hood Academy was super easy
Sara ☽
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to Netgalley for giving me the chance to read and review, "Hood Academy" by Shelley Wilson. It has been such a long time since I have read a book with werewolves in it! Based on how much I enjoyed this book, I would say it has been way TOO long. Hood Academy is full of twists and turns. There was never a dull moment. I really enjoyed the first book in this novel but the second one did not truly give me the same level of thrill. As far as YA goes, this book had all the usual elements ...more
Alona
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

“Hood Academy” starts out with a mystery that grasps your attention and sets the mood for the whole book. Mia has witnessed a gruesome murder of her father by a werewolf and her whole life is turned upside down. It wasn't a good life to begin with, since her mom died when Mia was little, her older brother left a year later, and she was stuck with her abusive father and no friends.
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Sixteen-year-old Mia witness the murder of her father by something that if asked would have said doesn’t exist, werewolves. Mia is very confused when the wolves don’t kill her. Why did the wolves not harm Mia? Why did they kill her father but not her? These are questions that Mia asked herself and more.

Mia lost her mother a long time ago and now her father is gone. Mia has a brother Zak who disappeared or left after their mother was killed in a car accident. Without any knowledge of her
Thelifeofamaka
I really liked the twists and turns in this book, for a horror book it really wasn’t gruesome though.

The entire story is based on Werewolf and Hunter, in which a school called the Hood Academy, was established to train hunters who would, well, hunt werewolves.

I loved the whole story in its entirety, not as gory as I thought it would be but interesting read nonetheless.

Would I recommend this book? Yes I would, for all those interested in thriller.

Read more:
Kristin
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hood Academy was a well paced novel with characters that actually have a bit of depth (for the most part at least, looking at you Felicity). The descriptions got me sucked into the story and the various settings, which is a good thing. I also liked that the author didn't just scratch the surface in regards of werewolf-transitions, she made a point on how painful it actually was.

Hood Academy is overall a well written novel and I would highly recommend it.
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
Darian
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elysian Fields
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Hood Academy is an addictive, atmospheric story that grabs that reader from the first page and doesn’t let go. I was pulled into this seaming dreary story of a girl who survives an unbelievable tragedy only to get trust into a new and different world. Our heroine finds herself at an academy where she will learn all there is to know about fighting, surviving and… supernatural creatures. I enjoyed how the story evolved and the characters developed. I really enjoyed this journey of life and ...more
Kylie
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Mia's mother is dead, her brother missing, and her father physically violent. When her father is murdered in front of her, her estranged uncle takes custody of her and brings her to Hood Academy. A different type of school where he is the headmaster. There she makes friends, enemies and learns the secrets about werewolves, hunters, and secrets in her life.

This story had me hooked from the first chapter and kept me wanting more. Shelley Wilson does an amazing job of holding the reader's attention
Serena
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
**Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.**

*No Spoilers*

I thoroughly enjoyed Shelley Wilsons' step into the fantasy genre.
I felt like it was a realistic idea of what/who werewolves are, she did not make it all flowers and rainbows, stating 'it hurt' but actually put thought and description behind the pain one might feel if they transformed from one being into another.

It was an action filled novel, starting with a
McKenzi
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shockingly I really enjoyed this book. I walked into it expecting a cliche werewolf/hunter and got so much more. I really enjoyed the characters and the plot but felt as if the author could have character build a bit more. I also felt like sometimes this plot was a little all over the place and the author did skip about. Also it was a good yet cheesy read! Overall I did enjoy this book and do recommend everyone give it a shot!
Chantal
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Imagine this; You’re a 15 year old girl, your abusive father just got murdered and a strange uncle you don’t even know is picking you up to come and live with him. Weird enough right? Well, in fact, things can become even weirder.

That estranged uncle runs Hood Academy deep in the woods. Not just any ordinary academy, but one that trains werewolf hunters. And as a cherry on top he wants you to take the oath to become a hunter.

Well, meet Mia, the protagonist in this story. Her life just completely

• Realm of Knights (Knights of the Realm, #1)
  • Coral
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • Cupid's Match
  • The Memory Thief
  • The Ghost Hunter's Daughter
  • Scars Like Wings
  • Jane Anonymous
  • Day Zero (Day Zero Duology, #1)
  • Angel Mage
  • Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • Altered (The Made Ones Saga, #1)
  • One by One
  • What Happened That Night
  • A Thousand Fires
Shelley Wilson is a genre straddling English author of motivational self-help titles and young adult fantasy fiction.

She's published six non-fiction self-help books including her bestseller - How I Changed My Life in a Year - as well as five young adult (YA) fantasy novels. Book one of her werewolf series was a finalist in the RONE YA Book of the Year Awards and has been combined and re-released

Hood Academy (2 books)