Start by marking “Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)” as Want to Read:
Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)

Dragonsdawn

(Pern (Chronological Order) #1)

The beautiful planet Pern seemed a paradise to its new colonists - until unimaginable terror turned it into hell. Suddenly deadly spores were falling like silver threads from the sky, devouring everything - and everyone - in their path. It began to look as if the colony, cut off from Earth and lacking the resources to combat the menace, was doomed.

Then some of the colonist

Published December 12th 1988 by Ultramarine Publishing Company (first published October 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonsdawn, please sign up.
P.S. Watson She is a officer so is called Mister as part of her military title/form of respect. Tillek and Keroon are two separate characters in the book. They bo…moreShe is a officer so is called Mister as part of her military title/form of respect. Tillek and Keroon are two separate characters in the book. They both end up with locations named after them (if you read the books in order of publishing this one is a pre-qual).(less)
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,264 books — 2,321 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank Herbert1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
6,928 books — 21,588 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
Wastrel
As a child, this was one of my favourite Pern novels, and I can see why.
I can also see why I don't still read Pern.

The strengths, as with a lot of SF, lie mainly in the ideas. The excitement of interstellar colonisation, the hints at a broader future beyond the limits of the Rukbat system, the dragons, and above all the visceral horror of Thread, which at times is really skin-crawling (and saying 'skin-crawling' makes me think about Thread again, and now my skin's crawling...). When the book sw
Susan Kennedy
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of the series that I read that began to peak my interest in Fantasy. I think this is also the series that began my love of dragons! That was so many years ago that I thought it would be fun to listen to the series while I was at work or while I was crafting. I also decided that I would read them in chronological order this time around. And this series is still wonderful!

This book is about arriving at Pern, settling Pern, thread falling and them creating the dragons. I would not recom
Melissa
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite Pern novels. It tells the story of how people came to Pern to colonize the planet, how the first appearance of Thread almost destroyed them and the measures they took to survive. It is a wonderful story that includes the creation of the Dragons from the fire lizards, some of the top people that locations were named after, and a view of how a lot of the culture and traditions began. I love the science that is included in this book, but I don't think it is so "s ...more
notyourmonkey
Rose
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this is my favorite of all the Pern books. It's especially satisfying to read after the original trilogy - it explains how things got they way they did. It's fascinating to reflect on what would cause a high-technology, space travelling society to revert to a feudalistic state.
Fredrick Danysh
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
As colonist settle the new planet they call Pern they run into several obstacles. First is a space parasite they will call thread that destroys all organic material. Then they have settled in a volcano zone. To counter thread the settlers will bio-engineer flying dragons. This is a great read.
Indrani
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Confession: this one is a re-read for me. However, I started reading McCaffery in my teens, and I suspect I was about 20 when I read this one. I figure that 20 years or so down the road still counts as "reading". I must say that time gives perspective; I recall thoroughly enjoying McCaffery in my teens, and being entranced by her world of dragons that were more than simply goad-hoarding, fire-breathing monsters. Looking back now, I suspect that on some level, my enjoyment came out of the fact th ...more
Gere Lewis
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the story of how people came to Pern, the discovery of threadfall, and the genesis of the dragons.

The first 47 pages of this book contained some of the most boring sentences that I have ever read. The entire time they are on the spaceship, I didn't care. I can sum up the first 47 pages for you right now:

A bunch of colonists get in a spaceship and fly far enough away that there is only enough fuel for it to be a one way trip. As they approach Pern they start waking everybody out of hype
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
Anne McCaffrey is my mom's all-time favorite author, so she pushed this book onto me. I knew this was not the first book in the series, but she assured me that it shouldn't matter. This book takes place in the beginning of the timeline, with the people traveling to and colonizing Pern. I still had a hard time getting into it. There were so many characters for me to keep track of and there wasn't a whole lot happening at parts. I get the feeling that those who read the other books would not have ...more
Katie
I love this book sooooo much. I love Sorka and Sean so much. I didn't forget that that, but it's been years and years since I read it, so I was primed to fall in love all over again. I listened to it as an audiobook, which is usually something that takes me a while to get through, but I did not want to stop listening.

(It does not entirely hold up to the test of time, though. McCaffrey's non-hero women aren't portrayed in the best light. And the science and tech is now dated.)
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This novel is set in the beginning of Pern history as the first colonists arrive to this Earth-like planet. Things go well until Thread start to fall from the skies. The colonists look for means of protection and turn to the native lizards.
Joan
Barbara K.
The time span of this novel takes the reader from the first Landing of colonists on Pern to the First Pass of the planet that brings the horror of Thread, some years later (view spoiler). In addition to the deadly onslaught of Thread, the colony also has some human villains plotting for their own greedy ends, as well as one man crazed by grief and paranoia, who also happens to create something amazingly helpful ...more
Lel
This was the first Pern book that i've read. I read this first because it was first chronologically but i have to say I felt a little confused in parts. I'm not sue if things were glossed over because they are described better in the books written order or the author just has a very detached way of writing. Either way, I will continue to read these books, but i'm in no major rush to do so.
Maha
May 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
I liked the dragons but the book felt more like fanfiction to me, the plot never went anywhere and the characters were lackluster. I was told to read in chronological order but I don't think this book is a good starting point for what seems to be a beloved series.

But I liked the dragons.
Jerry
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
The scope, storyline, and writing were all impressive.

However, there was an excess of profanity; that really brought it down.
Liz
Feb 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those looking for something a little different in their sci-fi.
Shelves: own, reviewed, scifi, dragons
When the colonists first landed on the untouched, uninhabited world of Pern, they thought they had finally found the place they sought...a tranquil, serene new world that would allow them to create their own civilization, far away from the reaches of war and corruption that scarred their old worlds. As they threw themselves completely into the creation of the new colony, they were unaware that they were about to face an enemy more sinister than they could have anticipated. Several years after th ...more
Mer
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mer by: Book cover series list
Anne McCaffrey doesn't disappoint. She has some science, some non-science, people you just don't like and others you do, and not a cliff hanger. I much prefer the books in this series that she wrote on her own; they seem to have a better flow to the sentences than some of her collaborations with others.
Myth
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Was this book perfect in reality? No. There were some funky gender issues and some weirdness with Sallah and Tarvi even though I love Sallah.

But is it perfect in my heart? Yes. Yes it is.

I love this book okay?
Shelby
This book covers more years than I expected it to actually. There's a lot of information in this book about the origins of Pern and the colonists. I really liked seeing how everything happened. I really didn't expect the years to pass as far as they did. Of course some how we had to get from landing to First Fall. Without the first fall of thread there would be no dragons. There were a lot of things that devastated our large group of characters in this story. Sometimes it was hard to keep all th ...more
Chris
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I have loved this series but this one really came to a stall for me about halfway through. I was eager to read about the initial colonization of Pern and how they bonded with the dragonets (fire lizards) and dragons for the first time. Maybe there was too much going on that it was distracting. Human dramas, figuring out how to live together & the best places to live, dealing with volcanos, the deadly & ecologically devastating Threadfall and wanting to know the source, engineering dragons and mo ...more
Darci
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a re-read. The Pern books got me though adolescence. Everyone needs to read at least one!
msleighm
Abridged audiobook
Elisabeth
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book made so much sense of the rest of the books I've already read.
Brandy Cross
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was hands down my favourite Pern novel as a kid. I still like it, especially as a concept. Considerably more so as a concept than as a realised piece in fact. There are several reasons why, and most of them eventually relate to the fact that hard sci-fi just isn't Anne McCaffrey's cup of tea. She's not good enough as a writer for this, she doesn't know enough science for this, her feeble attempts at approaching the science are off-putting in cases.

The concept: A lost-colony hard sci-fi pre
Daryl
Apr 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: female-author, scifi
This one's interesting because it starts out as an origin story for Pern as straight-up science fiction, but it shifts toward the fantasy elements of the other books in the series and shows how a technologically super advanced society was forced to regress to the more manorial sort of society that emerges.

Great prose this isn't. The characters tend to be caricatures. These books have tended to be much more about "this happened and then that happened" than about relationships or characters or goo
Christopher
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adair Becker
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this series when I was 10 years old. I am now 52. I love all the Dragon books and many other books written by Anne McCaffrey.
I was dyslexic and had a hard start learning to read. Once I started I never stopped. I read my beloved Dragon Books every year because they are my friends, and have been my escape from difficult times throughout my life.
I hope there are people who enjoy going to Pern like I do every so often to ride the Dragon’s in their mind like I do.
Casey
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dragons, sci-fi, 1980s
Dragonsdawn is one of the best Pern books I have read so far. Even with that it's still 3 stars, as the series does show its age. In terms of series order with what book happened first in the timeline, Dragonsdawn, as its name suggests is at the very beginning.

Dragonsdawn describes the first colonists on Pern and their discovery of the disastrous Thread, and the development of telepathic Thread-fighting dragons. It is focused more on action, rather than character development.

It's interesting tha
Cécile C.
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Disclaimer: this is my first Pern book. So if the whole point of it is supposed to be in inside jokes about the world of Pern and casual explanations of the little details of the world-building of the other books, then I've missed it. This is going to be a review of the book as a standalone.

My overall impression is a decided "Meh". The world-building is okay. There's a certain levity of tone and plot I found entertaining. The details of the creation of the dragons are fine. And... that's about i
Dragons & Jetpacks: BR Dragonsdawn - Anne McCaffrey: August 2014 16 37 Aug 07, 2014 01:10PM

• Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #1
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • Magic's Pawn (The Last Herald-Mage #1)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #3
  • Darkover Landfall
  • Stronghold (Dragon Star, #1)
  • Dragon's Code (Pern, #25)
  • The People of Pern
  • Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1)
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho

Pern (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (Pern, #12)
  • Dragonseye (Pern, #14)
  • Dragon's Kin (Pern, #17)
  • Dragon's Fire (Pern, #19)
  • Dragon Harper (Pern, #20)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragon's Time (Pern, #23)
  • Sky Dragons (Pern, #24)