Start by marking “Palindrome” as Want to Read:
Palindrome

Palindrome

For years, Liz Barwick has been battered by her brutal husband, a famous pro football player. This time it takes an emergency room to keep her from death. Now, the beautiful and talented photographer retreats to an island paradise off Georgia's coast to find solitude - and herself.

As she becomes increasingly involved with the strange and handsome twin scions of the

Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published August 28th 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Palindrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Palindrome

Start your review of Palindrome
Cathy DuPont
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one I like!
I reckon this will definately be my last Stuart Woods book. And I reckon I said that before but it was strongly suggested by a friend who knows that I loved his book Chiefs, which, by the way, was great.

As another reviewer put it, Woods sold out to the company, writing two books a year, none of which are a half way decent read. So I reckon you guys who read a lot will see through this one quickly. It was just bad and barely readable.

Enough said, don't have time to pan this book much. If you read
Rebecca McNutt
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction, thriller
Palindrome is an impressive, thrilling, gripping story with great characters and a very original plot.
Amelia
I really enjoyed this book and hope some of you will pick it up.
My full spoiler free review is on my blog
Link: https://amelianamora18.wixsite.com/my...
Thank you for reading!
Frank Smith
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved the story, plotline, characters setting and back history, but......
It did seem to pack a hell of a lot of one off events into a very short amount of time. I know all novels have to do it to an extent, but it did stretch belief the amount of 'one off' events that occur throughout the book.
The characters were believable for the most part, but there was a sub-plot involving two brothers that I thought was REALLY predictable. Still enjoyed reading on, but left me thinking less of the main
B.R. Stateham
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was excellent. A captivating read of a double mystery which, in the end, merges together for a very sad, but satisfying, conclusion.

My compliments to Stuart Woods. He was recommended tome by a fellow reader and I'm glad I picked the novel up to read. I think I might turn out to be a fan. Especially so if he can weave a complex plot in the next novel as he did in this one.

Gotta say, it's a wonderful feeling when you discover an author who writes this well.
Richard White
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Good summer read. Interesting premise so 3 stars.
April
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stuart Woods never fails to bring the excitement!
Michelle
Nov 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since this is the first book I read by Woods, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I definitely didn't expect what 'Palindrome' delivered--it was great. It had all the things I look for in a book, great characters-- whom you're truly interested in, multiple story lines, wonderful plot twists, and the best of all when you--the reader--think you have it all figured out....nope you don't.

If you haven't read this book go and get a copy however you can, because you wont be disappointed! Great read and
Tanya
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nothing like the book Under the Lake by Stuart Woods. After that book I read a lot of his books but recently stopped since it's the same plot book to book. This book was an older book and I was surprised I never read it. It was a good book but not many twists or turns. You knew right away who the killer was. It was an interesting twist with the twins but I wished he would've of gave more of a back round information on their story. Over all a good book that made me keep reading.
Lyndsy
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible. I like Stuart Woods' series books, but they get a certain routine to them after a while. This one, a standalone, is AMAZING. You spend a lot of time wondering if you have it right in your head, only to learn something new that makes you second-guess yourself.

You really get to know the characters as well, which is my favorite part of a story.
Negirlb152
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Author - uses "I reckon" so many time in his books -
even if the character is a Harvard Grad!

UGH - I want to cross out every I reckon in his books..........
Whitney
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was a quick beach read--a little cheesy for me
Rose
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this year's ago and found it very suspenseful and hard to put down. A great intro to this author for those who enjoy a good escape read!
Ed
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finalist 1992 Edgar Award for Best Mystery. This 1991 thriller by prolific author Stuart Woods is one of his early standalone thrillers before giving in entirely to his soap opera Stone Barrington universe. Photographer Liz Barwick is savagely beaten by her steroid freak football player husband, Bake Ramsey. Her aggressive lawyer gets her a quick divorce and a remunerative settlement, after which she goes into hiding off the Georgia coast. Her ex goes on a homicidal rampage attempting to locate ...more
Isabelle
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What began as an escape from domestic abuse became a spine-chilling game, tied in with other issues that were brilliantly introduced and blended with the overall story. The main plot and secondary matters weren't linked/related, but they just made the entire plot so much more real and full of the characters' feelings, emotions, and of their own stories. This book gave me a good balance of chills, humour, and sadness. I can't express how much I feel for Liz and James, and I already have an ...more
Chris
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every time I pick up a book by this particular author it is a usually a Stone Barrington book but not this one. It's about Liz Barstow who got beaten up by her husband and is close to death. Quick thinking on her part to get the help she needs she gets a surgeon that she only met once or twice and hires an attorney that is good at what he does. Did she did he right thing. Her publisher asks her to do photography book on a private family island in Atlanta, GA while she re-cooperates which she ...more
David H.
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For decades, every time I walked past a book stand, I would see Stuart Woods novels right next to the Crichton, Rice, Patterson and Koontz books that I was reading. Even yesterday, I saw two of Woods latest offerings at CVS. Since this author has been publishing so long, why haven't read any of his work earlier?

I wish I had discovered this author years ago. This book was a joy to read. The book reads quickly and effortlessly. I found the characters interesting. I should confess that I figured
Paul Bolton
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must say that I enjoyed this - ‘catch me if you can’, ‘cat and mouse’ thriller. Yes OK it is not going to blow readers away with its originality, but I did like the descriptive nature of the book and how Wood’s brings the island of Cumberland to life. Halfway through the book, I felt that it was dragging a little and I did feel that some of the setups were pulp fiction 101, but I have to admit to enjoying the merry tale which Wood’s spun.
DOUG HEARD
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Woods better books.

I have read many of Woods books. Typically I like his stock character books. But this is one I have pulled off the shelf a few times and enjoy it more than once. Since there are no pictures to slow you down, it should take a good afternoon to read, even if you slow down and pay attention to his penned efforts . Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Not a classic but a favorite.
Melanie Winter
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Paul A Gross
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes it is Stuart Wood’s But “Really”

The disparity in writing style, flow and ease of story line seemed far removed from the truest of Stuart Wood’s writing. Enjoyed the book due to UGA, Cumberland Island etc. but rank it below my normal five stars for Stuart Wood’s. Seem like a ghost writer’s input.
Christa
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
pretty good. might be convinced to read another one of his books. only thing i didnt like is how it ended. SPOILER you didnt find out which twin was in the ground and which one survived. so that was disappointing.
Nancy
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago and never forgot it. I just finished it again and once again thoroughly enjoyed it. It is Stuart Woods at his best. Great story, great characters and a compelling read. Highly recommend!
Judy
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not Stuart Woods' best work due to the (deep sigh) extreme predictability of this story. It was still an entertaining read and thoroughly enjoyable. I mean, what the heck, people enjoyed the Titanic movie and we all know the boat sank.
Maryrose Schreiber Sheppard
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
it was a very interesting book filled with history and mystery.
Jamie
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this. I got the "punch line" halfway through the book. Good story.
Connor
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By
Amy
Nov 27, 2019 added it
Rob
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting standalone novel... one of his earliest books... true to form, though...
Nicole Egger
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stuart Woods is one of my favorite authors and this book did not disappoint. Very engaging with likable characters and a unique and original plot.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Deep Harbor
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • Endangered Species (Anna Pigeon, #5)
  • Widow's Walk (Spenser, #29)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
  • Cinnamon Skin (Travis McGee #20)
  • Free Fall in Crimson (Travis McGee #19)
  • On Rue Tatin: Living and Cooking in a French Town
  • White Hot
  • The Scarlet Ruse (Travis McGee #14)
  • Extreme Measures
  • Untamed: The Wildest Woman in America and the Fight for Cumberland Island
  • The Iron Earl (Valor of Vinehill, #1)
  • The Haunted (Ed & Lorraine Warren #3)
  • Vineyard Shadows (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #12)
  • Corruption in the Keys: A Logan Dodge Adventure (Florida Keys Adventure #6)
  • The Talbot Odyssey
  • A Deadly Shade of Gold (Travis McGee #5)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.