Start by marking “White Cargo” as Want to Read:
White Cargo

White Cargo

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  3,225 Ratings  ·  144 Reviews
Cat Catledge is a happy man. A self made multi millionaire at 50, he has a loving wife and a beautiful teenaged daughter. And after years of hard work, he is taking his family on the ultimate dream sabbatical: a two year cruise to the South Pacific via the Panama Canal, aboard his custom built forty three foot yacht.

He gets as far as Colombia.

Off that country’s cocaine dus
Published December 4th 2001 by Avon (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about White Cargo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Cargo

Dale
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Engrossing - pulled me right in

There are two Stuart Woods out there, at least in my mind. There's the early Stuart Woods that wrote great books like Chiefs and there's the Stone Barrister-writing Stuart Woods that just writes a formula plot, mails it in and collects a check.

In White Cargo , a wealthy American, Wendell Catledge, is yachting off of the coast of Colombia when he is attacked by pirates and his wife and daughter are kidnapped and end up in the underworld of the narco-traffickers.
Kat
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the first Stuart Woods book I've read. I have to say... I am a big fan of his writing!! Great story line and an easy read.

Cat Catledge's story is one of loss and revenge. I felt as though I were traveling through Columbia with him as he sought out the pirates who took his life and family from him. I won't give too much away because a lot happens just in the first few chapters, but this is a great book filled with action and adventure. I couldn't get enough! I will be reading more by Woo
Chrissy
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Carol Waters
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
OK, so they thought they killed Cat. A shotgun blast to the chest and sinking of his boat should have done that. Oops, he survived. Two years later his daughter, presumed dead, called him. Um, by the end of the story we learn that she is in a fugue state, only speaks Spanish and can't talk much to anybody. But she remembered his phone number and called him. Go figure.

The ending of this book is just awful. Unlikely, badly assembled, improbable, and what the hell was Dell doing anywhere? Take it
Andrea
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I tend to rate books on my reaction to the book. I prefer mysteries, action-adventure, thrillers, and what I consider to be well-written books. I read a lot of books and I am a quick reader.
So it will come as a surprise that I have rated White Cargo as a 5 star. Surprising because I have read at least 20 books written by Stuart Woods, mostly Stone Barrington stories, mostly rated 3 stars with a few rated 2 stars with appropriate explanation.
White Cargo is a stand-alone book publish
Pamela Fernandes
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! I read this in one sitting. Fantastic book. Some plot holes, but otherwise great. Cat a billionaire, is left for dead on his yacht, and his daughter and wife murdered or so he thinks. Later when he gets a phone call that one of them is alive, he does everything in his power to rescue her.
Plot is pretty fast, intense, have you flipping pages. I have to say, he spent a lot of time researching this book and it shows. Its a book that has this realism attached to it as it details the Columbian
Dee Kay
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a phenomenal story! This was my first experience with Stuart Woods. It kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the entire book. It was one of the best suspense stories I have read in a long time. Make sure to set aside time, as it is one of those books you can't put down until you finish it!

It has been a few years since I read it, and I still remember how impressed I was with the way Mr. Woods weaved this story and pulled the reader into it as if you were really there, experiencing all of
Colleen S Harris
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
The novel depends on an unlikely string of coincidences and deus ex machinas (is that how you'd pluralize that? Dei ex machina?) for momentum, and is pretty poorly written (for instance, the author has a few crutch words and phrases that he falls back on repeatedly, which is distraction to the reader). It was tough to suspend disbelief long enough to get through this one; I probably wouldn't even recommend it for junk beach reading.
Greg Stillwagon
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This was GREAT ... action packed, suspenseful and fun.
I recommend it
The author writes great and the characters are believable and my kinda people.
Give it a try ..... I fell asleep reading it on my kindle the other night and dreamed of the jungles of South America and saving the day
Keep reading .. especially stuff like this!
Greg
Steve Schlutow
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: woods, a-fiction
This was a good book.. I think I enjoy Woods earlier writings much more than I do his current Barrington novels.. This book had pirates, drug dealers, bad son, very bad people, armies, a jungle, and much more that made very fun to read and very interesting.. I highly recommend this book.. I am glad that it was republished and that I noticed it on the shelf..
Nancy
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Interesting, engrossing book about the drug trade in Colombia. Stuart Woods is well known for his series novels--Stone Barrington, Ed Eagle, Holly Barker, etc. But this one is a stand-alone novel. It is one of his earlier works. I really enjoyed reading it.
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Extremely good story: engaging, fast-paced, unexpected turns, good writing, and great plot. I loved this as it served such a great distraction when I was going through a busy period of work and school. It just wasn't long enough. Only book I have read by Stuart Woods but I'd read him again......
Michelle
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was my first Stuart Woods novel. Easy read, fast paced, thriller. Although the story line was great and the excitement starts from the first chapter to the last, it's not a heavy stick with you story.
Carey Shea
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book around 1977 and I remember I could not put it down. I read the book in one sitting and read until 4:00am. I couldn't stop talking about it to people. It was an exciting and intriging book with lots of adventure. This book I highly recommend.
Carol
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Good old book. Never give up- follow your instincts
Amanda Poulson
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I you like Stuart Woods other books you are going to love this one. I think this is a amazing book it has everything that could happen to one of use and that is a scary thought.
Phillip III
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this a long time ago. Long before Goodreads. And wanted to add it to my "Read" collection. Best I recall -- Loved it!
Laurie
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book even the second time through.
MomIsReading
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fast paced...ended a little abruptly and felt anti-climatic.
Shannon Canaday
May 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: whiffers
I started and abandoned this book within 40 pages. The language from the father in the first 40 pages as it related to his daughter was very disturbing to me. In just 40 pages we have the father speaking about his daughter:

"She seemed to be wearing only a t-shirt; the girl rarely bothered with underwear, and it made Cat nervous"

"She had slipped a t-shirt over the bikini, but it wasn't long enough. Her creamy buns protruded from the bottom."

"She was still not fully aware of the effect her bun-rev
John Grazide
When an rich, over weight, middle aged, computer geek goes for a sail around the world, but decides to stop in Columbia, things go horribly wrong. Pirates board his ship and rape and kill his wife and daughter. Leaving him dead to sink with the ship. But he survives. And for months he is heart broken. So he exercises, and learns to fly. Just to stay busy. Has an argument with his estranged son and then gets a call in the middle of the night. Daddy, is all he hears. But that's enough for him to p ...more
Alton Motobu
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: revenge
Millionaire 'Cat' Catledge is attacked, his wife killed, and teenage daughter kidnapped by Colombian drug lords. He recovers, learns to be a pilot, then goes into the jungle to rescue her. Some good action, but climax when villain is decapitated seems somewhat unexciting after a tense buildup. Great story telling with well drawn characters.
Sasha Beharilal
Jan 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
I made it to 45% and I gave up. It isn’t horrible, but it didn’t captivate me at all. I didn’t like the way Cat (father) looked at his daughter “she never wears underwear” and “familiar boobs” when he is searching for her. It’s just weird. The characters aren’t endearing and I formed no attachments to them. I got bored very quickly.
Dorothy Patai
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy read and fast story with lots of action and surprising twists. The story location is in South America which made it even more exciting for me to read. There was a great deal of research done to make it as descriptive and as realistic as possible which I always appreciate.
Diana borg
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Really great book I enjoyed everything and couldn't believe they made it out. Sorta sad the son died but someone had to die
Judy Green
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
XF
Danielle Dodd
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
excellent read
Katie
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Don't bother. It's too long for the story line and too predictable.
Mike Worley
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
OK read
Lori
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty run-of-the mill thriller that's not in the Stone Barrington series. Quick read.
  • The Timothy Files
  • The Moscow Club
  • Emerald Decision
  • Discretion (Anna Curtis, #2)
  • The Associate
  • Night Vision (Doc Ford Mystery #18)
  • Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory, #6)
  • Blood of the Albatross
  • Little Saigon
  • The Venetian Judgment (Agent Micah Dalton, #3)
  • This Time Forever
  • The Kidnapping of Aaron Green
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Halo Effect
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club
  • Grit
  • Fatal Tide
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trinity Game (The Game Trilogy Book 1)
  • Live by Night
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Story
  • The Lost Girls
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Summer (Darling Investigations #1)
  • Depth of Lies
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Supreme Justice (Reeder and Rogers #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide Mystery #1)
  • Gone South
  • We Could Be Beautiful
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Outliers
  • All the Little Children
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Exhume (Dr. Schwartzman, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ape Who Guards the Balance (Amelia Peabody #10)
    $8.99 $1.99