Start by marking “Pretty Little Things: Collage Jewelry, Trinkets and Keepsakes” as Want to Read:
Pretty Little Things: Collage Jewelry, Trinkets and Keepsakes

Pretty Little Things: Collage Jewelry, Trinkets and Keepsakes

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  497 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Whimsical and Elegant Projects from Well-Known Collage Artist Sally Jean Alexander

With Pretty Little Things, readers will find collage projects that exhibit a playful air and a sense of magic. The 27 projects and 30 variations feature vintage ephemera soldered within glass, for finished works that tell a romantic or whimsical story. All exhibit Sally Jean Alexander's signa
Published October 1st 2006 by North Light Books (first published September 8th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Little Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Little Things

Shade
Jun 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
I admit I was very frustrated by this book. Touted as an insight into making soldered craft, I was keen to get my hands on it. As I'm in Australia, this meant ordering it in specially and paying a premium price of $45. I was happy to do that, though.

Sally Jean is obviously a skilled artist. You can see this in the fine photographs of her work that you'll find throughout the book. In addition, she has an affiliation with whimsy that I appreciate.

However, her instructions aren't clear. In fact, t
liberal sprinkles
this is adapted from a longer review on my blog
liberal sprinkles

The book is full of very pretty things indeed. Lots of creative and inspiring ideas for making collage, trinkets and accessories from a variety of materials. There are nice photographs illustrating the steps for the projects, which don't look impossible to accomplish - IF you already know how to solder and cut glass, and have the tools to do so, or are willing to invest in them.

Nearly all the projects require soldering of some kind
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
2.5 stars rounded up

This was an odd book. I didn't see the subhead of collage until I read it the book. This is definitely that--very busy items that require a lot of skills that are complicated to learn such as glass cutting and soldering The items are nice and many are pretty. There's a lot of similarity in the projects. Almost all require glass of some kind and soldering. This means that they are all going to be heavy. Some things would be fine such as a trio of picture frames and a doll. But
Barb Lawrence
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I needed this kick in the pants to awaken my sleeping creativity. She gives me permission to save all the little trinkets I love (no, it's not trash, and no, it's not clutter!). She gives me ideas to play with, think about, make me smile. The best book on soldered charms I've seen. Thank you for the boost of creative energy!
Rikelle
Sep 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I just love Sally Jean's art. They really are pretty. I haven't ventured to make any of the projects but the pictures are lovely. I enjoy looking at them and dreaming that one day I will have time to make them. This book makes me want to get over my fear of a soldering iron and make some funky jewelry.
Stephanie
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-and-hobby
Have I made any projects from this book or used any as an inspiration? No, but I do dream of the day that I perfect the ability to solder and spend hours making amazing trinkets like Sally Jean Alexander shows and explains in this book. Her work is true eye candy and truly inspiring.
Mary
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another art book I own and keep returning to. Though many projects aren't quite "me," they trigger my creative thinking into hundreds of other possibilities. For this book, think collage/mixed media by soldering! Melted silver solder frame little objects - oh, my!
Joan
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book made me want to fly to Portland and take all her classes. Inspirations, pictures, ideas,and directions are all in this book. She gives suppliers and her opinion on what tools she likes best and uses the most. Just a wonderful eye candy book even if you don't want to learn how to solder.
Heather Bradley
Jun 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book for soldering projects, tips and techniques. Beautiful eye-candy in this one! Have to laugh at her fancy sculptured nails while she's demo-ing ~ kind of like mowing the lawn in high heels!
Valerie
Jun 10, 2008 rated it liked it
I love the projects in this book- I got a soldering kit for Christmas and have not even opened the package yet! Myabe this book will be enough motivation!
Quip-er-quill
Sep 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, how-to
A really lovely book and a joy to have on my shelf. Most of the things she gives instructions for making are a little too advanced for me at the moment, but it's a wonderful book for inspiration.
MaryAnn McK
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
pure eye candy...i especially liked her painting techniques & background preps.
Tamera
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Artists creative people
Great book to be inspired with.
Fun design pictures and good references
Sally Reardon
Jun 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: crafters, jewelery makers
Shelves: sewing-books
Full of whimsical images of altered art projects, stirs my creativity, plenty of how-to illustrations. The collage sheets in the back are an excellent bonus.
Annie
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I can look through this book again and again. It really stirs my creativity.
Paula
Oct 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Sally Jean is a wonderful artist and this book is a great collection of her work. It also does a great job on getting you started with soldering. But nothing beats an in person class with Sally!
Jane Bradley
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I adore the work of the talented Sally Jean. This book gives so much inspiration and yummy "eye candy"!
Shirley
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! I need a soldering iron, now!!!
Meridee
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: craft lovin' folk
I haven't attempted to make anything from this book but I have sure loved looking at it. Maybe when the home remodeling is complete I'll try it out.
Leslee
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
The title says it all . . . lots of step-by-step pictures to complete various projects. A beautiful illustrated idea book/ how-to manual for art/auction projects.
Leaon Star
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is what inspired me to buy a soldering gun and learn to make soldered charms. It's absolutely beautiful, and Sally Jean is an incredible artist. I'll treasure this book always.
Mhiles Lockhart
Lee
rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2013
e
rated it did not like it
Mar 05, 2010
Mar 16, 2009
  • Collage Lost and Found: Creating Unique Projects with Vintage Ephemera
  • Secrets of Rusty Things: Transforming Found Objects Into Art
  • In This House
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • Artist Trading Card Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • Altered Curiosities: Assemblage Techniques & Projects
  • Altered Art: Techniques for Creating Altered Books, Boxes, Cards  More
  • Altered Books Workshop: 18 Creative Techniques for Self-Expression
  • Kaleidoscope: Ideas & Projects to Spark Your Creativity
  • Collage Unleashed
  • The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspirations from Working Artists
  • Acrylic Revolution: New Tricks and Techniques for Working with the World's Most Versatile Medium
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99