Start by marking “Notes From The Underbelly” as Want to Read:
Notes From The Underbelly

Notes From The Underbelly

As a guidance counselor at an elite, Bel Air high school, Lara Stone is definitely not ready to have any spoiled, bratty kids of her own. At least not now, when she has finally managed to Tae-Bo and low-carb herself down to a perfect size four. But her husband has different ideas, and they include fatherhood. Now.

Suddenly, Lara finds herself deep within the underbelly of
Published April 5th 2005 by NAL (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Notes From The Underbelly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes From The Underbelly

Melissa
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
I didn't think I would finish this book, mostly because the husband was such an asshole. He bullies his wife into having a baby, dismissing her concerns as "selfish." Then she gets pregnant and he has no sympathy whatsoever. He's so focused on having a baby boy, that when they find out it is a girl it's as if he loses interest. He gets better toward the end, but then the story focuses more on the woman's change in attitude. I liked that it told a pregnancy story where the woman wasn't all mushy ...more
Shelby
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
At 30 years old, Lara Stone seems to have the perfect life. She's a guidance counselor at a private high school, has been married to her husband, Andrew, for 4 years and can finally fit into a size 4!

When Lara's best friend tells her she's pregnant, Lara's comfortable life is thrown for a loop. Andrew is adamant about starting a family before they get any older and Lara is petrified--she doesn't have a maternal bone in her body. But reluctantly, she agrees to give birth to a tiny hum
liz
Apr 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fun-slash-junk
Okay, so it's a new dimension of chick-lit for me... pregnant-chick-lit (no comment necessary). Sarcastic protagonist has one Pollyana best friend and another best friend who's more sarcastic than she is. She works as a high school guidance counselor, is ambivalent about having a baby, but since it'll basically make or break her marriage... goes for trying for a baby. The author is (surprise!) a high school guidance counselor who was ambivalent about having a baby with her husband, and then didn ...more
Merredith
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Notes from the underbelly by risa green was a great, but quick book. If I had any reason to feel guilty about my pleasures, then chick lit would be a guilty pleasure. What I liked about this particular chick lit book was that it did not center around a man. Not that all of them do, but there are a great many that deal with finding or keeping the perfect guy. What is this book about? A 30 year old married woman who is a rich kids high school guidance counselor, whose husband pressures her into ge ...more
Becky
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 999-challenge
What a great book! Lara's story was funny, honest and entertaining. When I first picked up the book, I wasn't sure that I would like it. Green's writing reminded me of Jennifer Lancaster, but I love Lancaster so much that Green wasn't measuring up. But, as I got further into the story, I began to like it a lot more.

While the book was about Lara's pregnancy, it also focused on her job as a college counselor at a rich preppy school. I couldn't imagine working in that type of environmen
Keri
Aug 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
I really enjoyed the first half of this book. But then the main character started to annoy me in a Becky Bloomwood sort of way. The whole, "I'm not maternal" schtick got a bit old.

The book also took a turn for the superficial when the key turning points in her path to motherhood had to do with her being able to tolerate vomit and poop. It just got more inane from there. It probably also didn't help that I recently read Shopaholic and Baby and Baby Proof, both of which also have the reluctant mo
Michelle Sallay
More of a 3.5 stars read. I remember really liking the TV show of the same name. I watched it while expecting my first and I was totally freaked out and negative about the whole process of child growing.

I liked this book, however it is pretty sarcastic and negative. If someone has difficulty with getting pregnant and having a child I would strongly recommend staying away from this one. I think I would have related to this more if I was pregnant. Also, there isn't really much of a story. It is m
Kourtney
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Rebecca McPhedran
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Written from the perspective of a college counselor at a prep school, the main character named Lara finds out that she is pregnant and deals with all of the unknowns when having your own children. At first she doesn't believe that she has the "mommy gene" and is mad at her husband for talking her into having a child. As the book progresses Lara becomes more comfortable with children, and even potty trains a 2 year old. She grows within herself and finds out that maybe she just might be ready for ...more
annelies
Aug 13, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is basically pregnant chick-lit. If you think that might interest you, it's a fun quick, easy read. That said, the one thing that bothered me the most were the chapter titles, they tried to be witty and cute, but irked me at the start of every single chapter. This probably shouldn't bother me as much as it did, but I can't believe noone told the author how dumb they were. Also, the ending drove me crazy. I'm going to have to read the follow-up now though, Tails From the Crib, so it cou ...more
Kate
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Omigoodness. I LOVED this book. Jason kept looking at me funny because I would laugh right out loud (which I don't usually do while reading.) Then he would make me read the "funny" part out loud, he wasn't as impressed. I guess we have totally different senses of humor... or he's NEVER been pregnant!

The library didn't own a copy and wouldn't buy one, but did borrow one from the Salt Lake County Library system for me to read. I really want to own it now though, so I can color out the
Brie Klein-fowler
Aug 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
At first I found this woman relatable, since I have a lot of the same reservations about being pregnant someday. However, the more I read, the more frustrated with her I became. She stayed selfish, materialistic, and way too hard on her husband. I was hoping that she would have some great moments of bonding with her baby or soften up at least a little, but not so much. The author's decision to end the storyline right before the birth only solidified that perspective. Pregnancy seemed an island, ...more
Angela
Mar 27, 2007 rated it liked it
This book is being adapted into a television show. I'll give it a try. Hopefully I will get a chance to read it before seeing the tv show. I read her second book, Tales from the Crib, and thought it was pretty funny.

Now that I'm finished with the book I have to say that I enjoyed the TV series more. And I found her second book, Tales from the Crib, funnier than this one. The main character, Lara, is really mean and bitchy in Tales from the Underbelly. They softened up her character a
Jen Ifer's Inklings
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read, and while it wasnt really easy to like the main character, Lara, you definately rooted for her.

Even though she focused on all the negative aspects of pregnancy, her fears and thoughts are ones that certainly cross the minds of all first time mom's.

I found myself laughing throughout the book and would recommend this book to anyone that is looking for a quick and humorous read.
Michelle
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was drawn to this book because it's about a College Counselor at a prep school that's pregnant with her first baby, which I can currently relate to. Although the main character had her obnoxious moments and some aspects of her job were not realistic to me, I still enjoyed this light chick lit book and am looking forward to reading the next one. I did feel like the ending could have been better though, so I hope the author redeems herself in the next book.
Roxanne
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a hilarious novel about pregnancy. Lara is a hip career woman who doesn’t want to have kids, but her husband, Andrew, is all for it. She gets pregnant to please him and then describes all the details of the pregnancy as she experiences it. The book is very “today”, and Lara is a hoot once one gets past her foul language. Any woman who has ever experienced pregnancy will love it. I laughed out loud!
Elena
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, humor
Very reminiscent of Jen Lancaster's voice so if you are a fan of hers, you'll like this book. A fast, enjoyable read that made me laugh quite a few times. I didn't like that the protagonist was so mean though....granted she tries to redeem herself and sometimes comes off a little nicer, but I generally take issue with people (including fictional characters) who are nasty about other people's weight. This really annoys me. It also ended a bit abruptly, but there is a follow up.
Tina
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is laugh-out-loud funny. I can see why it was turned into a TV show. (I watched two episodes and the show was seriously lacking. It was cancelled shortly after it began.) The book breaks the so-called fourth window and has the narrator speak directly to the reader, which I love. Aside from one chapter that has some editing problems (using incorrect character names in a few places), it was awesome. Worth reading, and the sequel is going on my To Read list.
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Lara Stone is pregnant and having a hard time adjusting. Everything that she swore wouldn't happen to her is happening. Wonderful, fast read!

*There are errors where the author refers to Lara's friend, Julie's husband by the wrong name several times which was somewhat distracting.

**Note: Plan to read Tales from the Crib after this selection or you will be left hanging.
Lisa
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the tv series and expected the book to be equally funny. It was a cute read, but I never got over the feeling that the protagonist was really just too selfish to have a baby. Oddly enough, I'll probably pick up the sequel to see exactly how much of a train wreck she turns out to be.
Cathy
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mom-lit
I just plain didn't like the main character - I found her annoying, spoiled, and selfish, and I didn't think those things changed all that much as the story progressed. I also didn't like the abrupt and unsatisfying way the book ended.
Natasa Tovornik
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: auto-biography
Hilarious although very LA styled book about a career-woman getting pregnant and totally not coping with it. A nice change from all the how-to-be-perfect books. I guess a lot of the thoughts are in many heads. Great metaphors, lots of laughs and fun read. Perfect for a lazy Sunday.
Lindsey
Jan 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women in need of a good laugh
Recommended to Lindsey by: Tasha
This is totally a "Chick Lit" Book. I am reading lite stuff right now because my job is really intense so I can't focus on books that are too much. This book was a light read and very funny. I enjoyed the way the author writes and the main character is hillarious!
Jul 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book was excellent. I can't wait to read the sequel- Tales from the Crib. (By the way, Risa Green is a genius for ending this book the way she did.) I don't think it would be possible for anyone to finish this book and NOT want to find out what happens next!
Jodi
Apr 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
READ THIS BOOK! I found it for like a dolla' at a used book store back in 2004 and it is one of my favorites - it's so funny and a great brain break. Plus she's preggo and trying to deal with that so perhaps I should reread it! :)
Karianne
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I actually mailed a copy to Lisa b/c I think it a must read for pregnant ladies. It was laugh out loud funny. Again, the protaganist is OBSESSED with being thin which is annoying as hell but she is so funny I didn't care.
Natalie
Feb 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Who knew that getting and/or being pregnant could be so interesting? Although I enjoyed reading this book I don't think I'll read the sequel Tales from the Crib, Lara complains so much that it is hard to imagine her as a good mother.
Ratforce
Notes from the Underbelly by Risa Green is the hilarious account of an LA high school guidance counselor who finds that pregnancy is not all she expected it to be. Fans of chick lit enjoy the quirky character and her honest assessment of her condition.
Meredith
Jul 21, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Sex in the City lovers
Eh. Not so good. A world of trendy fashion-conscious and vapid Los Angeles women, one of whom is "reluctantly pregnant." Lara is worried about being pregnant because she might get fat, like the time in college when she "ballooned up to a size 8." Spare me! Extremely unsatisfying ending.
Christy
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
I thought I would love this book since I enjoyed Tales from the Crib so much. Not so... I found this book to be way less interesting than the other. I don't care much for the tv series either, by the way! Do yourself a favor - read Tales from the Crib instead!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• From Here to Maternity
  • 24-Karat Kids
  • The Baby Planner
  • Play Dates
  • Mommy Tracked
  • Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-be
  • The Manolo Matrix (Codebreaker Trilogy #2)
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • Diary of a Mad Mom-To-Be
  • The Yummy Mummy
  • The Last Year of Being Single
  • Mommy by Mistake
  • Wife in the Fast Lane
  • The Thin Pink Line (Jane Taylor, #1)
  • The Single Wife
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • Not Ready for Mom Jeans
  • The Baby Diaries
You would think that writing a bio would be an easy thing for a writer to do, but there’s not much that’s harder than trying to convey a sense of who you are in three lines or less. I’ve always admired those writers who are able to come up with hilarious little vignettes about their pets or their strange obsession with Cheetos, and yet, hard as I try, I just can’t find a way to make myself sound t ...more
“...any guy can buy you flowers, but the one who buys you hemorrhoid cream must really, really love you.” 3 likes