Jump to ratings and reviews

Chasing Danger: The Case Files of Theron Chase

Take a walk on the noir side of dark urban fantasy...

Calasia: it's a big town with big problems. Murder, thievery, extortion, corruption, magic, and monsters--just ask any native here: this ain't a burg for the faint of heart. You don't live in Calasia, you survive it.

Theron Chase walks these mean streets with a sap in one hand and a .45 in the other. Story is he used to be a hell of a cop in these parts--until his partner got dead in a hurry years ago. Now he makes a living as a private eye, offering his services to one and all while trying to stay on the good side of his secretary, a dishy-looking fae name of Kyra Sylvari. Ogres, werewolves, crime bosses, mages--as long as your money's good and no one's looking to turn him into a dead man (walking or otherwise), odds are he'll be able to solve your problem.

Just don't ask him to handle any magic-related items--he's about as adept with the arcane arts as a troll in a knitting circle.

In this collection by acclaimed fantasy author Richard C. White (Terra Incognito, Harbinger of Darkness, For a Few Gold Pieces More), you'll find four of Chase's bizarre cases. From a sexy chanteuse who literally turns into a beast when the moon is full to a string of pearls that kills its owners, and from the ghost of a dead woman seeking justice to the Grim Reaper's little girl seeking her stolen chicken, Theron Chase certainly has his hands full--of danger, death, and dames!

"Richard C. White knows how to spin a great yarn!"--Bobby Nash, author of Domino Lady: Money Shot

314 pages, Paperback

Published June 6, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Richard C. White

33 books8 followers
Richard C. White is the author of the "For a Few Gold Pieces More" collection of dark fantasy short stories being released by Musa Publishing.

Along with writing Fantasy and Science Fiction, Rich has been bitten by the "New Pulp" bug and has several stories coming out by Pro Se Productions in the near future. The first of his, "Notes in the Fog" has been released in the "Charles Boeckman Presents: Johnny Nickle" duology in May 2013.

He also is a media tie-in writer, having written for Star Trek, Doctor Who, and The Incredible Hulk. His novel, "Gauntlet Dark Legacy", was the best-selling tie-in for his publisher in 2004.

Richard is also active in writing organizations, being a member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the International Association of Media Tie-in Writers. Additionally, Richard serves on the Writer Beware committee for SFWA.

A former soldier, who was stationed with the Third Armored Cavalry Regiment and the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Richard also works as a Technical Writer/Analyst for a defense contractor when not working on his latest story.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews
Profile Image for Patrick Ryan.
12 reviews
July 3, 2019
Word on the street says “Chasing Danger: The Case Files of Theron Chase,” is the cat’s pajamas. A real pocket full of firecrackers of a read.
It was a slow day. I was cooling my heels at my desk, looking for an excuse to spend the evening reading. Outside my window, it was shift change in the city. Day shift was going home to their everyday lives and the night crew was coming in to take over. It was time to lock up and go nose around, maybe drum up a little business.
My Kindle buzzed. Seems I had a delivery. I clicked open and there it was. Sleek looking cover, the type that makes a man want to open the book and read it. A lot of women, too.
But, what’s this? Fantasy Noir? You gotta be kidding me.
White isn’t kidding, and “Chasing Danger” is no joke.
From the very first line, you feel the scene turn black-and-white. It doesn’t last long, for White doesn’t waste time showing that Calasia isn’t your typical gumshoe story town. There’s magic in those alleyways.
A collection of four stories that are probably best read in order. At the very least, “The Full Moon Affair” should be read first. A good story, but it also introduces Theron Chase, the supporting cast, and the city of Calasia.
Theron Chase is a straight shooter whose reputation precedes him wherever he goes. Even the bad guys respect him. He likes Scotch, always a plus in my book, and he’s non-magical. In fact, magic has a tendency to malfunction when he’s around. This is an excellent choice by White. The focus on his detective skills helps balance the fantasy aspects of the stories, keeping the Noir in Fantasy Noir.
There is a decent sized supporting cast, and none of them are throw-aways. They all have a part to play in each case, and White makes good use of them all.
Full disclosure, I received my copy for review purposes, but I would purchase a print copy for myself and gift giving.
Profile Image for Margaret Adelle.
265 reviews43 followers
April 4, 2020
I love fantasy-norm stories, so when the author offered this book for review, I was happy to accept. It's a short story collection with tales of varying length (some taking up nearly 90 pages, others just over 20) all involving a noir-style detective working with mystical creatures.

The writing style was simple and easy to follow, which I appreciated. The noir-style dialogue was a bit too much at times (not a fan of every female character being called "kid") but I wrote it off as an artistic choice. The mix of magic and non-magic technology made for interesting tales.

The characters were multi-faceted, despite only being short story characters. I'm always a fan of the beleaguered but dedicated secretary trope, and the fact that she was also a 4 foot nothing fairy was a bonus. Ze'eva as a character was also fun, although I'm not sure I fully bought in to her interactions with Theron.

The biggest reason I couldn't give this book higher than a 3 star though was how the plot ideas and the short story format didn't work that well together a lot of the time. There were these giant conflicts of Ripper-esque serial killers, multiple different crimes happening concurrently, and "if we don't do the thing in the allotted time the whole city dies" that felt much more like book ideas than short story ideas.

In some cases, the constraints of plot vs. page length became evident with how much info was just given to Theron or how much was glossed over to get to the end. Like a monologue from a random side character that flat out gave Theron the killer's motive. The most glaring example was when Theron found the location of "the big thing" he'd been searching for in a general overview. Like a "he called in some favors, gave and received some bruises, and found the safe" style paragraph when the process of getting to the moment of realization should have been shown in real time.

Despite the constraints of the short story format, the characters and world building do have legs. They could be made to work in a regular novel. In fact, that might be what helps them shine the most.
73 reviews15 followers
October 31, 2022
Probably call this one a 3.5 stars, but Richard gets the Friends and Family round-up.

As I told him in person, I think this book has pretty much every cliché of the noir/hard-boiled detective genre, but I didn't really care since it was done well. I enjoyed the character and setting, and would be interested in seeing more in this series.
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.