Start by marking “It Was Always You” as Want to Read:
It Was Always You

It Was Always You

You know how the story goes . . .

Boy and girl are childhood best friends.

Boy moves away and devastates girl.

Years later, two strangers meet on the internet and one of them has a secret.

Or two.

When Ally Honeycutt rushes home to her small town of Pickerton Grove she never expected to find her once best friend working at his family’s business. No longer the small little b
Kindle Edition
Published September 19th 2019

To ask other readers questions about It Was Always You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Was Always You

Ally.Always.Reads
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, beta
Book friends, you definitely don't want to miss this book!
It Was Always You is an amazing read with lots of laughs and a ton of heart!

This book is EVERYTHING! I love it so much!!
I laughed.
I cried.
I sat with a horrifyingly creepy, giddy smile on my face.
I sat with my fists clenched and my heart in my throat.
I felt every emotion!

It was perfect and I honestly couldn't have asked for anything better!

It's got the sweet, small town Andrea Johnston feel. And the childhood friends to lovers with a twist
Kacie
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It Was Always You by Andrea Johnson

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I have been a fan of Andrea Johnson’s for a few years now. One of my favorite things about her is the amazing small town books she writes. Being from an insanely small town, I can attest that she is 100% on point. She also writes stories that are fresh and new. How many books have you read that were based off of a reality tv show? I didn’t know life after prison shows or dating sites, for that matter, were a thing! But she took a weird-ish concept and made
Samantha
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a big reality tv watcher, so I haven't seen the show this is loosely based off Life After Lockup.
There hasn't been a book Andrea released that I didn't love from the beginning, I would of had this done sooner if adulting didn't come in the way at times. I love Andrea's small town voice, I come from a small town myself and she does amazing work with her stories.
When I started I couldn't put it down, I wanted to know more about Ally and Drew, they were wonderful characters. It was a fun em
Andrea
Aug 22, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Teaser-9-3

Coming to your Kindle on September 19, 2019 this childhood friends to lovers small town romance is sure to make you smile and laugh while you fall a little in love with the hero.

Cover Reveal: September 6, 2019
Release Day: September 19, 2019

Bloggers sign up ➡ https://goo.gl/forms/aPLQ014Bgc7iy3nv2
Jen
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Note: An ARC was provided by the author.

Okay, quick confession: I have a "bad" habit of trying to figure out a story based on the blurb alone or within the first couple of chapters. It may take the "fun" out of reading, but yeah, that's just a personal quirk of mine, and in the case of Ally and Drew's story, it was pretty easy to figure out where their story would lead to, thanks to the blurb and a couple of tidbits in the first chapter. Now, as much as I was a happy camper because my hypothesis
Misty
3.5 Stars

Andrea Johnston is my go to for small town romances. She has definitely found her niche in the romance world with her books.

I have to be honest, I wasn't completely sure I would like this one while reading the blurb but it was a fun, easy read and I blew right through it. I loved that Ally and Drew were childhood friends and found their way back to each other. Ally was fun to read since she was so laid back and exactly how I picture myself when working from home. I felt a kinship with
Andrea
Andrea Johnston definitely delivered a unique plot line with this friends to lovers/second chance story line. It was filled with sweet memories and a unique rekindling of a friendship. Andy and Ally were best friends growing up until the age of about 11 and then things went downhill due to circumstances they couldn't control. Andrea peppered this story with cute scenarios and a friendship that was beyond adorable. The only reason this wasn't a five star read for me was because I still couldn't r ...more
Kayla Busch
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS LITERALLY EVERYTHING!!!!! I can't even begin to describe how much I loved this book. I literally read it from start to finish in one sitting because I could not put it down. It has everything I love in a book. Small town setting, an epic friends to lovers story with a twist you won't see coming and memorable characters that you won't be able to forget. Ally and Drew were childhood friends but circumstances had them parting ways when they were younger, but they never forgot one anoth ...more
Megan | A Page to Turn
While this book is VERY LOOSELY based on a popular, yet strange, reality television show, it was done in a way that is true to the author's version of Hallmark-esque small town romance. This story is one of love lost and found... childhood best friends who lost touch, just to find each other again in one of the most unconventional ways. She sold me on this one, and I went in not knowing what I would think, or what to expect. I laughed, I cried, I swooned and I fell in love with this town and the ...more
Rachael
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Andrea Johnston knows how to write small-town romance. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I love how she never makes her conflict over-the-top and the pacing is suited to the small-town feel of her stories. In IT WAS ALWAYS YOU, Ally and Drew draw on their friendship from the past to help build a relationship in the now. I wish we had seen a little more of their childhood interactions rather than being told how it was, but on the other hand, I appreciated staying in the present and stay ...more
 •Cici• Theory of A Dreamer Book Blog♥
Having read Ms.Johnston's work before and reading that synopsis, I've been so excited for this book! Once I started reading I couldn't stop! I fell so head over heels in love with this story and it's characters! I laughed and smiled too many times to count.

From their friendship to everything in-between, I connected with Ally and Drew so much. Their story was every bit unique and was filled with so much heart and humor. I adored the secondary characters as well and what they brought to the story.
Kathryn Linke
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
It Was Always You is a fast paced, unique small town romance, with Andrea Johnston's signature dose of heat, heart and humor.

Ally is a quirky, fun and kind character, who is also a bit of an introvert despite the fact she seems to be quite outgoing.

Drew is such a resilient character you can't help but adore him. He's made some dubious choices in his past but fully owns up to his mistakes and is determined to look to the future.

The connection and chemistry between this pair of childhood friend
Melena Torretta
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Andrea Johnston has a knack for writing small-town romance, and Ally and Drew's story is a friends to more story with a twist.

I really enjoyed the unique plot and Andrea's writing style. Ally and Drew were childhood friends who find each other again as adults and their connection is still there and growing stronger. There's also a number of other characters including Granny who make the story fun.

The story moves at a pretty good pace and I found myself invested in it from the beginning.

If you ar
Kathy Schofield
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Andrea Johnston does small town romance so well, and this new book is a perfect small town romance.
Love how it is written in dual point of view
Love Granny - she is bloody hysterical, and really has the best lines.
Ally and I could be besties in real life - "When liquid gold rises precariously close to the rim, I have no choice but to bring the bottle to my lips and finish it off" She is my soul-mate!!
Perfect book for reading on the beach, in the bath or tucked up in front of a fire on a Sunday a
Shannon
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is loosely based off of the reality tv show Life After Lockup. I’ve never watched an episode and wasn’t sure I’d like this story but wanted to read it because I love Andrea Johnston’s small town voice.

I wasn’t surprised I loved it or that it well written. What I was surprised about was the fact I didn’t put it down until I was finished.

This was a wonderful, fun, laugh-out-loud, emotion laced sweetheart of a read. I highly recommend it if you’re a fan of romance, small towns, 2nd cha
Debbie
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love a book that makes me feel. This one hit them all. I laughed out loud. I got teary eyed. I was sad. I was hopeful. I was happy! The fact that Love After Lockup
sparked the idea for this book intrigued me. And I was not disappointed with how that played out! I wanted to hang out with Ally (& Didi). Drool over Drew working on a car. Bake a pie & sip some tea with Granny. I was drawn into the story and felt as if I knew the characters! And that cover people! Fabulous!!! If you love a s
Kristina Bowen
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am thankful for this book, I hadn’t read in quite a while and this book definitely wants me to read more. The secret that kept going on in the story made this slow burn, small town feel give me all the emotions in one. I have a new way to celebrate my birthday from now on and I think everyone else will feel that way after reading this. Ally is someone I know I would get along with and be best of friends with, Didi included. Drew is almost like a bad boy who turns back to his small home town fo ...more
Jaime Reynolds
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet friends to lovers romance with a little bit of a twist thrown in. I love reality tv and true crime so I was a bit excited at the concept of this story. Drew and Ally are old friends who cross paths years later...but not in the usual way. Loved these two with Granny probably being my favorite in this story. I laughed at moments and and also felt both of their struggles and emotions. One you do not want to miss if you love friends in a small town romance.
Amy
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a childhood best friends to lovers book, and I was hooked from the first page. It will have you laughing and crying and just plain swooning. It has all the feels and a hot as hell hero with a small town vibe. Add in Granny and Myson and you can't resist. I loved all the sweet moments with Ally and Drew. Their connection was so amazingly beautiful. I can't wait for the next read from Andrea.
Natasha
Love it when authors gives a story for the good people and people that do deserve their happily ever after. Ally and Drew have such a strong beautiful love bond and their honesty is spot on.
Drew has a secret to tell Ally and to see how it unfolds breaks your heart. BUT their connection is so much stronger; they just have to prove it.

Here is more of my review on YouTube- https://youtu.be/pwhUzkBSH4c
LLS
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was another solid offering from this author! Drew and Ally were childhood best friends when one day Drew disappeared without any word. Drew had a less than desirable family life and rebelled as a teen/ young adult. His rebellion lead him to spend time behind bars. While this is a love story between Drew and Ally, this book I so much more. It's about love, self-worth, and finding family wherever you can!

Thank you so much for the privilege of reading this book! Well done ❤
Heather
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I enjoyed Ally and Drew. It seemed like their connection never had a break when they reunite.
Gary was fabulous. I loved how much he still loved and cared for Drew after all those years. He didn't have to be there for Drew, but he was. Drew learned his craft from him and clung to it during high school.
The story was great and I enjoyed all the characters.
ToniAnn Papa
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful friends to lovers book that starts off with a twist! A little girl who loves her best friend, and one day he's just gone. Years later, they find each other again. But, its based on lies. Ally and Drew will melt your heart before they put it back together. The perfect small town love (after the twist and turns) you always want!
Stefanie
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing

I was not sure of the concept of this book but it intrigued me. D and Ally become friends when they start emailing back and forth. I liked how they would ask each other questions. Later in the book when D gets out I love how much Gary welcomed him home. It warmed my heart. Grandma was pretty fun too.
Alison
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
If I didn’t have to work, I would have finished this book in one sitting! I could not put it down! This is such a sweet story of childhood friends that reconnect as adults after life happens and leads them both back to their small home town. I laughed a lot, cried a little, and felt all the feelings! And can we talk about how pretty that cover is?! 5 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Messy Bun Book Blog
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED! I am a huge fan of Andrea Johnston and It Was Always You may be my newest favorite! What an incredibly unique concept for a love story! I love friends to lovers - and it's even better when they were childhood friends! This book will make you feel every emotion! I was not able to put this one down! FIVE HUGE STARS!!!
Cassidy
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It Was Always You was a quirky and fun read. It was just a little different from everything and just a little the same. There is a Lifetime/Hallmark romance vibe to it.

I voluntarily read an early copy.
Brittany Johnson
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Get ready for a amazing second chance romance of two best friends that got separated as kids and put together by a serendipitous situation.
Grisel Arteaga
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! From the first page to the last I was hooked! Ally and Drew are everything! I laughed, cried and felt everything! I loved the small town story! You will love this book!
M.E. Carter
So cute. I needed that brain break.
Andrea Johnston spent her childhood with her nose in a book and a pen to paper. An avid people watcher, her mind is full of stories that yearn to be told. A fan of angsty romance with a happy ending, super sexy erotica and a good mystery, Andrea can always be found with her Kindle nearby fully charged.

Andrea lives in Idaho with her family and two dogs. When she isn’t spending time with her partner