Start by marking “Betsy Blossom Brown” as Want to Read:
Betsy Blossom Brown

Betsy Blossom Brown

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  25 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Betsy Blossom Brown is a coming-of-age story about a young girl who journeys from being an observer of life to a participant. Her seemingly idyllic life with her privileged South Carolina family is turned upside down, revealing truths and disarming pretensions. She's independent, opinionated, and brave. Uncertainty enters her life when she and her mother move to the Appala ...more
Paperback
Published May 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Betsy Blossom Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betsy Blossom Brown

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Betsy Blossom Brown
Nina
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is there a better setting for a story than Charleston, SC? I was fortunate to spend some time there over the summer, and I loved the author's references to the Battery and the beautifully-colored houses.

After the tragic discovery of William Brown's crimes, Betsy and Lily, her mom, are left to deal with the consequences of his actions. They decide to pick up their stuff and move to West Virginia to "start over." Throughout the story, many events take place that test the ability of Bet
Julie Beeks
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this sweet YA book! Kathleen Jacobs is a great author, and she never lost my attention with this book. It’s a great story of overcoming the ups and downs in life, and that you can always start over.
Jill Atkins
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
“And to think that all I ever really wanted was to be ordinary, to fade into the woodwork, and to meld into the lush, grass-green folds of the cabbage patch wallpaper that covers a wall in my third flood bedroom, bunny rabbits scurring here and there, watching it all unfold, still and yet ready to scamper.”

Thank you Kathleen M. Jacobs for a copy of your newest young adult novel, Betsy Blossom Brown in exchange for my honest review.

(from book cover) Betsy Blossom Brown is a coming-of-age story
Lisa
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored this beautiful story of a young girl with mild Asperger Syndrome trying to cope with some of life's most difficult challenges while coming of age in a new town.

After a tragic event, Betsy and her mother leave their privileged life in South Carolina behind and take a road trip to their new home in West Virginia. When they arrive they engage with a lot of interesting people and though their troubles are not over Betsy and her mother have a wonderful relationship and I loved ho
The Bookend Diner
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to the author, Kathleen Jacobs, for gifting me a copy of her book Betsy Blossom Brown.

It was fun to read a book based in Appalachia as that is very near to my hometown; I felt I could truly appreciate what Betsy Blossom Brown and her mother went through when they found themselves packing up their lives and traveling to a small West Virginia town.

Nestled in these 160 pages of this book is a story about a girl who has to learn the hard way that life can be incredibly unfair. I truly re
Katy
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Betsy Blossom Brown, another unforgettable character created by YA author, Kathleen Jacobs.

Betsy Blossom Brown is a special person, beloved by her family and friends in her privileged hometown of Charleston, SC. However, her father faced legal issues and then he committed suicide. Betsy and her mother weather the days until they decide to visit somewhere else, an area Betsy studied just the year before, West Virginia.

Given her gift for detail and visual imagery, the reader will expe
Beth M.
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Betsy has lived her entire life in Charleston, South Carolina. A privileged life, growing up in a beautiful historic home with two doting parents. Until suddenly it all comes crashing down. Her father, a well-known business man, is jailed for embezzlement. And life as Betsy and her mother know it quickly spirals out of control. In an attempt to start fresh, they move to the mountains of West Virginia where the picturesque scenes, friendly Appalachian natives, and new adventures are just what the ...more
Randi (readsrandiread)
This was the second novel I read by Kathleen Jacobs, the first being Honeysuckle Holiday, and it was my favorite of the two. One thing both books have in common are fathers that cause a lot of trauma and are now absent for very dramatic and criminal reasons. As I was reading BBB and noticing the similarity to Honeysuckle Holiday, it left me wondering if there was a reason Kathleen feels drawn to this theme.

I loved Betsy Blossom’s artistic and opinionated personality. Another thing I enjoyed wer
Beulah Jenifer
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Life of Betsy Blossom Brown portrayed elegantly is the storyline. 14-year-old Betsy Blossom Brown born, and lived in a posh way in South Carolina is suddenly dragged in difficult situations. Her feelings, emotions are wavering she’s confused, hurt, and doesn’t know what to do.

Betsy has to move places, weep out her emotions, control her feelings, and there’s so much going on that little head of hers. The parents she’s known her life are complicated. Her life’s changed upside down. ...more
Megsbookclub
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Betsy Blossom Brown is a YA novel that is a coming of age story. Betsy has a privileged life in SC until something tragic happens, then her and her mother leave the area. They head to WV (as many of you know I’m from West Virginia so I love anything about it). .

Betsy and her mother are very close and she works hard to have a continual upbeat attitude to support her mom. As she grows older and learns she has Asperger’s syndrome she doesn’t let it affect her attitude. She sketches ever
Tatia
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
“Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. “From Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy

Thank you to Kathleen Jacobs for a copy of her book Betsy Blossom Brown! A YA coming of age novel about a young girl coming to terms with some heavy circumstances all the while sharing her story through her highly intelligent narrative. The author’s descriptive and rich details help you feel as if you are there alongside Betsy Blossom Brown!

I received a copy of this book
Avid (Maria) Reader
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sept-2019
Betsy Blossom Brown (almost like a tongue twister right?) is YA coming of age story.

Betsy Blossom Brown and her mom Lily must rebuild their life after Betsy’s father is charged with embezzlement. Certain circumstances have Lily and Betsy move from South Carolina into West Virginia in hopes of starting over.

This story will have you laugh and cry as you embark on this new journey with Betsy Blossom Brown and her mom and also some great illustrations in this book.

Emmy Griffith
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another beautiful book by Kathleen Jacobson - I really enjoyed Honeysuckle Holiday a few months ago, so I was so excited when the author sent me a copy of Betsy Blossom Brown in exchange for a review. The author delicately deals with many sensitive issues, expressing compassion through her writing. As a teen with Aspergers, Betsy is navigating her way through the world - at times it is raw and emotional. The vivid description of the setting really adds to the book, too!
The Bookish Puff
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful quick read! I savored every moment of reading this as I grew up in Charleston, SC and have a deep love of the Appalachian Mountains. This book was a bit of a love letter to both of those places. The main character Besty Blossom Brown is so charming you can't help but want to dive into the book and just give her a big hug. Thank you to the author Kathleen for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Keep being awesome, Kathleen!!
R.K. Emery
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Be prepared to become addicted to this story from the very beginning. Jacobs has created a main character who is engaging and unique. The story itself has so many aspects you would not expect. It's heartwarming and inspirational.

I found the plot to be filled with heart, drama, and much more along the way.

The writing style was fluid and just fast enough, which I really enjoyed!
Jenn Van
This was a cute read. I’m not too familiar with the region the story took place in so that was cool to read about. The plot was interesting and characters were well written. Some of the dialogue seemed a little bizarre to me but it was a good book.
Caroline arrow_reads
3.5⭐ ...more
Michelle Richar
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Another enjoyable read by Kathleen M. Jacobs! Again not my favorite of hers, but all of her stories have great characters and lovely writing. In my opinion, there was a bit of editing that could have been done to improve this book, but I always applaud Kathleen for her brave and beautiful stories! I especially loved the drawings in this one that gave the reader another glimpse into Betsy's life. Thanks again for sharing this with me, Kathleen!
Brittany
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my third book that I’ve read by the author and while it’s not my favorite (Honeysuckle Holiday is still my favorite of the three!), her writing is always so vivid and makes me feel as if I am plopped down directly where the story is set. Authors aren’t always great at that but Kathleen Jacobs truly is. I haven’t read too many books set in West Virginia so I was actually glad to read one set there for a change. I also read this around the same time I read Flora & Ulysses by Kate DiCam ...more
Leslie - Shobizreads
Carol
Nov 02, 2019
RABT Book Tours: Betsy Blossom Brown 1 1 Nov 08, 2019 12:46PM
RABT Book Tours: Betsy Blossom Brown 1 1 Oct 26, 2019 12:37AM
RABT Book Tours: Betsy Blossom Brown by Kathleen M. Jacobs 1 1 Oct 05, 2019 01:09AM

• Love on Lexington Avenue
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Children Of The Cursed
  • Focus Lost
  • Know Me: Loving him...the secrets, the truth she discovers.-A Young Adult Romance Novel
  • Coming Home (Chandler Hill Inn #2)
  • The Lost Night
  • Her Secret Son
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • The Water Dancer
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • Dominicana