Start by marking “Help Wanted, Must Love Books” as Want to Read:
Help Wanted, Must Love Books

Help Wanted, Must Love Books

When Shailey's dad gets a new job, she loses her bedtime reading partner. She immediately starts interviews to fill the position and is thrilled when her favorite fairy tale characters line up to apply. But Sleeping Beauty can't stay awake, the Gingerbread Man steals her book, and Snow White brings her whole team. Shailey is running out of options. Is bedtime ruined ...more
Expected publication: March 2nd 2020 by Capstone

To ask other readers questions about Help Wanted, Must Love Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help Wanted, Must Love Books

Start your review of Help Wanted, Must Love Books
MissBecka
This was a really fun story.
I loved how the author pulled characters from traditional bedtime stories into this book.
The illustrations were cute, but felt like they could have been more?
I can't even say what was missing for me in the illustrations.

The addition of some applicants resumes at the end was really fun.
I think that was one of my favourite parts.
Thank you NetGalley and Capstone for my DRC.
Schizanthus Nerd
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was really cute. Full review to come after a reread.
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Janet Sumner Johnson and Capstone for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

5 stars.

Ohh my stars this was EXCELLENT! It literally had a lot of what I love in a book. It was about Books which, let's face it, is good enough for me right there and doesn't need anything else to accompany it. But it did have more. It was about fairytales and it was surprisingly funny! I giggled at a few of the pages. It really is quite an adorable book.

It's about a girl named,
Janet
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As the author, I'm hugely biased as to my rating. But this book idea grabbed me from the second it sparked. First draft was written within the hour (which NEVER happens for me), and I confess, I still giggle every time I read it. I love Shailey so much and her bold choices to stand up for herself and her needs. Still, I have all the sympathy for her dad. All of it.

I hope you'll enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it (and now reading it)!
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Shailey loves bedtime and her special routine of reading books with her dad. Unfortunately, dad is busy these days with a new job that keeps him on the phone and computer a lot so she has no choice but to fire him as her bedtime storyteller.

When Shailey places a help wanted ad, she is surprised by the quirky fairy tale applicants who arrive for an interview. She has some strict requirements that no one seems to meet and between Sleeping Beauty falling asleep on the job and the Gingerbread Man
La Coccinelle
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
The premise of this book is pretty cute. However, it's also one of those that seems to be directing winks at the parents, and that becomes problematic on one particular page when it assumes that its audience is more mature and educated than it actually is.

Shailey and her dad read a bedtime story every night. But when her dad gets a new job, he's suddenly too busy to read anymore. So Shailey fires him and puts out an ad for a new bedtime story reader. She gets plenty of applicants, but there's
Christine
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley

This is a wonderful book. Shailey loves bedtime because it was when her father reads to her, but his new job interferes so she needs to find a new reader.

It’s great that Shailey and her father are people of color. The fact that the father could be a single parent is important as well. It’s wonderful that while the job is never detailed, the father is involved in something that requires books and electronics. With just these details the story does much in the way
Etienne
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good children book!! It was funny, have book love in it, always a win with us books lovers, it also have father/daughter relationship and a very nice «crossover» from various characters from fairy tales or other children classic stories. I enjoy this read!
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Shailey loves bedtime and especially loves reading bedtime stories with her father. Unfortunately, dad is busy these days with a new job that keeps him on the phone and computer a lot so she has to find a new bedtime storyteller. When Shailey places a help wanted ad, she is surprised by the fairy tale applicants who arrive for an interview. She has some requirements but each of the applicants has a problem, Sleeping Beauty falls asleep on the job, the Gingerbread Man steals her books, and Snow ...more
CR
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute little title that kids of that are just getting ready to read would fall in love with!! It would make a great bedtime story. With beautiful artwork this was one hit in my home with my kids.
Natalie
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

What an adorable book! I loved how classic fairy tale characters were woven into this book.
Such a cute tale about a little girl whos father is the nest at reading and sharing bedtime stories with her until he gets a new job which leaves him too busy or too tired to share these books with her at bedtime anymore, so the girl sacks him and starts looking for a replacement.
We 3njoyed every page
Dee
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
This book is so fun! The title is perfect and the illustrations are beautiful and well-done. The story is about bedtime storytelling--something kids, parents, and other caregivers can relate to. It's clever (look for clues in the illustrations!), sweet (especially the resolution), and funny (don't forget the job applications at the end!). My kids and I ADORED it!
Jenn Bishop
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had a chance to review an e-ARC of this story and I could not have been more charmed. So many kids can relate to the idea of a parent who's distracted by work and/or technology. I absolutely love the gumption of this girl as she interviews other bedtime story readers -- familiar faces for many young readers. Clever, charming, and heartwarming. And of course, perfect for book lovers.
OjoAusana
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*received from netgalley for honest review* This book is ADORABLE!!! just too freakin cute! when robin hood showed up I almost teared up lol honestly a great book tho I saw someone else had gotten their hand on an ARC of this and knew I had to too and I am not disappointed !!
Abby Cooper
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is SO cute!! I love it and can't wait to buy and share with the young readers in my life.
Amber Webb
Sep 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
I am in LOVE! This is my new favorite book and want to gift it to everyone I know! I immediately connected with the main character who loved her pajamas and reading books until her eyelids closed, but then she started looking for a bedtime storyteller and the book just opened up on a whole new level. Every page had me giggling and completely understanding where Shailley was coming from. The end pages with the personal statements of some of the applicants was just hilarious. This should be on ...more
Storywraps
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet ( and clever ) book on so many levels. Shailey loves bedtime and after she shimmies into to her pjs and sparkles her teeth she looks forward to snuggling up with her dad as he reads her a bedtime story. She looks forward to this bonding ritual every night. But then the unthinkable happens. Her dad acquires a new job and their nightly routine greatly suffers and quickly becomes non-existent. Poor dad is so busy trying to meet his work obligations that he has no time to spend ...more
Kathy MacMillan
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shailey loves bedtime reading with her dad – until his new job causes so many distractions that she fires him and advertises for a replacement. A parade of familiar fairy tale faces show up to interview for the position, but will anyone be right for the job? From the three little pigs being intimidated by the competition (the big bad wolf) to the gingerbread man running away with the books and Goldilocks being too picky about where to sit, Help Wanted: Must Love Books finds all the hidden humor ...more
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shailey wants her dad to read to her, but he is so busy with work, that he can't do it.

So, she tries to interview new poeple to take his case. But each applicant it not quite right, from Cinderella to Sleeping beauty.

She also keeps revising the ad to attract those where anyway.

It is a cute book, but doesn't explain how her dad is able tot come back, so easily.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Beth
** I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This was adorable and I loved the tie-in with all the famous children's story. also diversity in picture books makes me so happy. Will definitely be buying this for my friends with kids and recommending as well.
Patricia
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet and funny read that both kids and adults will enjoy.
A solid story, great illustrations, and a host of fun characters make this a must for anyone's picture book shelf. The resumes at the end were a perfect and adorable touch. I'm looking forward to more from this author.
Casey Lyall
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super delightful and fun! Shailey's dad gets a new job and keeps missing their bedtime story routine. She fires him, putting out an ad for someone new to fill his spot. A host of fairy tale characters show up to apply and shenanigans ensue. This is an adorable picture book with a great twist ending. I also loved the extra character resumes at the end. :D Thanks for the chance to preview an e-ARC of this book - looking forward to it hitting the shelves!
Lauren Paletta
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Books, father/daughter time, fairytale characters and a girl with SASS! What more could you want! I laughed and I cried, now I must purchase this book for my home library!
#helpwantedmustlovebooks #Netgalley
Sheila
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this book!

The illustrations, the storyline, the integration of well-known book characters…it has all of the elements to make your book-loving heart smile.

Help Wanted, Must Love Books tells the tale of a girl named Shailey who LOVES reading books with her dad. They snuggle together every night and read until Shailey’s eyes can take no more. Bedtime is perfect. Until one day, dad gets a new job and his priorities shift.

What’s a booklover to do?

Start interviewing potential
JenLovesBooks
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
My daughter and I both enjoyed this book. It had such cute illustrations, with lots of her favorite characters' included. There was the gingerbread man who made an appearance, along with Snow White and her "seven bodyguards", then came along a very sleepy princess whom we all probably know. The list goes on, when it comes to finding Shailey's new reading partner.

The only thing (well, maybe two things) that might have kept me from giving it that last star, would have to be how it's made the dad
Jennifer Fischer
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Help Wanted, Must Love Books is a cute picture book about a girl named Shailey. Shailey has an evening routine, the best part of which includes reading a bedtime story with her dad. Everything changes when her dad gets a new job and he doesn't have as much time to spend reading with Shailey. Shailey becomes frustrated, fires her father, and posts an ad to find a new storyteller. Despite numerous interviews with a variety of characters from popular fairy tales, Shailey struggles to find a ...more
Star
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
I was provided a free eARC copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

When Shailey’s dad gets a new job, it takes over reading at bedtime. So, in doing what she must, Shailey sets up interviews to hire a potential new bedtime story teller.

This was such a joyous book to read. As an adult reading this book, I enjoyed the puns, the hilarious references to fairy tale creatures, and the fairy tale résumés at the back.

The artwork was so gorgeous, and so simple in its beauty.
Wendy MacKnight
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
This book is charming and heart-warming and everything a person would want from a picture book! I loved Janet's middle school novel, and this one is just as wonderful! So many families will read this book again and again to great delight! A reminder to all of us that reading with our children is critical and creates such a strong and loving bond!
Brittany Filopanti
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Received an ARC via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a cute little story. I requested it in hopes I would receive it and could read it to my daughters before bedtime. Now I can't wait to pick up a finished copy in March so we can add it to their library.
BookDrunkard
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this through NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased review.

OMG! What a wonderful book! I can't want for this to come out so I can start recommending it to the patrons at my library and buy a copy for my nephew! This book is absolutely lovely! Shailey's dad reads her a story every night, but he gets a new job and is too busy to read to her like he did. She decided to put a help wanted sign up to fill his empty position as bedtime story reader. She gets quite the cast of
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Perfect Birthday Recipe
  • Bears Make the Best Writing Buddies
  • The Chalk Giraffe
  • Greta and the Giants: inspired by Greta Thunberg's stand to save the world
  • Stephen Hawking (Pequeño & GRANDE, #2)
  • David Attenborough
  • Going Up!
  • Unicorn Training
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • McDuff Moves In
  • Astrid Lindgren
  • I Love You Like No Otter
  • A Little Bit Different
  • Mama Needs a Minute
  • You Can't Scare Me
  • What is Mommy Going to Do?
  • Monsters Are Afraid of Babies
  • Railway Jack: The True Story of an Amazing Baboon
Janet Sumner Johnson lives in Utah with her husband and three kids. She bakes a mean cinnamon twist and eats way more cookies than are good for her, which explains her running habit. Though her full-time occupation as evil tyrant/benevolent dictator (aka mom) takes most of her time, she sneaks in writing at night when her inner funny bone is fully unleashed.