Start by marking “Capitalism and Modern Social Theory: An Analysis of the Writings of Marx, Durkheim and Max Weber” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  542 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Offers a new analysis of the ideas of the 3 authors who have contributed most to the establishment of the basic framework of contemporary sociology.
Published February 8th 1973 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Capitalism and Modern Social Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Capitalism and Modern Social Theory

Rebekah
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sociology
Dense and sometimes difficult to follow... but ultimately worth the effort. I'll have to reread this one once I don't have other classwork to worry about...
Naeem
Jul 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mustreads
I read this in 1976 for a sociology class - a fabulous entry port.
Rebecca
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sociology
A very useful resource if you're studying social theory. Giddens provides a good summary of Marx, Durkheim & Weber, while also detailing contrasts and comparisons in their work.
Lucía Vijil Saybe
No toda teoría está excluida necesariamente de las relaciones de producción. Mark, Durkheim y Weber lo confirman. Analizando a los 3 escritores, me llama la atención donde Marx dice que determinado tipo de economía presupone un determinado tipo de sociedad y la alienación en la producción parte de un "hecho económico contemporáneo". La necesidad de la auténtica democracia para que supere los límites de una propiedad privada en esencia el socialismo.
Durkheim, bajo su argumento de que la diferenci
Titus Hjelm
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book's first three parts are an exposition of the ideas of Marx, Durkheim, and Weber, respectively and as such quite basic stuff comparable to any 'classics of sociology' book. The most interesting and original part is the comparative section where Giddens makes some useful corrections to prevailing (at the time) interpretations of the three thinkers. This is also where Giddens sets the stage for his later work that culminates thirteen years later in 'The Constitution of Society'. For people ...more
Fouad Jaber
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: economics
I read this thinking it was about modern welfare economics (I might have been drunk when I thought that) what I found instead was a classical sociological work depicting the three major theorists; Marx, Durkheim, and Feber. The part about Marx offered nothing new to my already overblown readings in socialism, but the ideas of Durkheim on ethical disintegration and the need for a new paradigm and the essence of protestant capitalism offered a beautiful new perspective.
Tara Lynn
Sep 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Decent overview of the major social theorists, with some decent emphasis on the accomplishments of Durkheim, whose work I hold in special esteem through Criminal Justice classwork.

Unless you're comfortable reading dense material in one sitting, this isn't something I'd reccommend reading in a day (as I did on the train.) I think I'd prefer splitting each reading into different subsections, with a little more time and emphasis on each for greater understanding.
Luke Echo
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
A good overview of Marx, Durkheim and Weber. Draws out some of the similarities and divergences on particular points. If you are very familiar with the original writers you could probably just read the final Part IV on the comparative.

I thought I read somewhere that this was in fact Gidden's PhD thesis work in some sense which does make a certain kind of sense.
Gustavo Marques
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
É um compêndio sobre a teoria de Marx, Durkheim e Weber. É útil para um primeiro contacto com cada um dos autores. Embora, posteriormente, seja mais importante a leitura das obras completas de cada um dos autores, e menos o apropriamento da reinterpretação teórica de Giddens.
Alastair Kemp
A relatively reasonable review of the work of Marx, Durkheim and Weber. Something I wish I'd bothered to read as an undergraduate, although originally written in 1972, still has relevance to contemporary debate
Anthony
Oct 16, 2013 rated it liked it
A good overview of the three thinkers in the title, and could be an extremely valuable resource. That being said, it does little to reinforce them if you have already read them, and doesn't exactly tie them together in a way which the reader may wish/be led to believe.
Michael
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to understand the social world.
Recommended to Michael by: Social Theory professor.
I remember carrying this book around in a pocket of my shorts for a time at a turning point (in many ways the start) of my political development. I guess that was my version of "couldn't put it down".
Carrie
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Grad school,sociology,sociological thory
Setjoeil Asa
Modar. Ra dong. Tur emboh ngopo pengin wae neruske tekan rampung.
Jessica Zu
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: eas550
Good for teaching! I probably will have my undergrads read parts of it ... someday, in my course on social theories of religion for 3rd or 4th year students.
Jungwon
  • Ideology and Utopia: An Introduction to the Sociology of Knowledge
  • The Practice and Theory of Bolshevism
  • The Sociological Imagination
  • Social Theory: The Multicultural And Classic Readings
  • The Essential Foucault: Selections from Essential Works of Foucault, 1954-1984
  • The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge
  • Self-Ownership, Freedom, and Equality
  • The Class Struggles in France, 1848-1850
  • Terrorism and Communism: A Reply to Karl Kautsky
  • Asylums: Essays on the Social Situation of Mental Patients and Other Inmates
  • Reclaiming Development: An Economic Policy Handbook for Activists and Policymakers
  • The Moral Economy of the Peasant: Rebellion and Subsistence in Southeast Asia
  • Zombie Capitalism: Global Crisis and the Relevance of Marx
  • After Capitalism (New Critical Theory)
Anthony Giddens, Baron Giddens (born 18 January 1938) is a British sociologist who is renowned for his theory of structuration and his holistic view of modern societies. He is considered to be one of the most prominent modern contributors in the field of sociology, the author of at least 34 books, published in at least 29 languages, issuing on average more than one book every year. In 2007, Gidden ...more
More about Anthony Giddens

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division