Start by marking “Exposure: Poisoned Water, Corporate Greed, and One Lawyer's Twenty-Year Battle against DuPont” as Want to Read:

For Erin Brockovich fans, a David vs. Goliath tale with a twist.” —The New York Times Book Review

The story that inspired the major motion picture Dark Waters, starring Mark Ruffalo as Robert Bilott.

In 1998, Rob Bilott began a legal battle against DuPont that would consume the next twenty years of his life, uncovering the worst case of environmental contamination in
Published October 8th 2019 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Exposure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exposure

Start your review of Exposure: Poisoned Water, Corporate Greed, and One Lawyer's Twenty-Year Battle against DuPont
Jessi Nill
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I first heard about this story when the New York Times Magazine article came out, I was completely floored by the tenacious work of Rob and the deplorable behavior from DuPont. This is book is so well written and thorough. While detailed it's not overly technical that you aren't able to understand.

It was so incredibly interesting to see all the things that happened to build the case and to get to this point. I'm so proud of Rob and the law firm that stood behind him even if he felt
Linda Baker
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Anderson
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible story! Rob works at the Cincinnati office of the law firm where I work, so while I knew the gist of the story, there were so many great details in the book that I learned for the first time. I couldn’t put it down! I’m so impressed by Rob and the work he put in for decades to hold DuPont accountable and I’m so grateful that he wrote such an approachable book so even those of us without science and litigation backgrounds can understand.

I truly think this is one of the best
Vasudev Gowda
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is better than "Bad blood" in the white-collared true crime genre.
Very informative, tactically presented, intelligently and deeply analyzed, good humor, exceptionally well written with a lot of glimpses into Robert's personal life as well.

Innocence meets endurance in this book and which turned out to be a very powerful combination. Do yourself a favour and read this book.

Highly recommended.
Joanie
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is both brilliant and difficult to read. What I mean is that it is brilliant in that Rob Bilott does an absolutely fabulous job of explaining a terribly complex case (both legally and scientifically) in a way that normal people can easily understand. It is difficult to read in that the utterly scandalous ways in which DuPont acted is hard to comprehend, especially for those of us who have loved ones who worked for DuPont. My dad spent his entire career at DuPont, and I am appalled to ...more
Erin
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend watching the film: “the devil we know” documentary on Netflix and an interview from Democracy Now:

DuPont has known since the 1960s that this stuff was lethal, and it’s still everywhere. Even the Arctic. DuPont shouldn’t be a company anymore and their corporate execs should be jailed.

The EPA's page on PFOA and PFOS: https://www.epa.gov/pfas/pfas-laws-an...

With the current administration, and their willingness to role back these protections, I
Wendy
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: law, non-fiction
Robert Bilott does a really good job of explaining how the legal process works to us regular people.
He should be commended for the amount of work he has put into the lawsuit against DuPont. He spent decades working on this!
Interesting to me how some of his traits as an introverted person contributed to his success in this work - especially his attention to detail in going through the thousands of pages of documents to find the proof that DuPont knew what they were doing was wrong. We need both
Julia
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The general population must read this book! This issue is not only continuing but more drastic than even this book can explain. The book is a bit technical and slow at times but the publoc needs to know about PFAS chemicals. My next step is to see Dark Waters and continue to follow the updates by States Health Departments and the EPA
Nathan Holm
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating and engaging read. It never ceases to amaze me the perseverance, dedication, financial resolve, and sometimes fortuitous breaks it talks when challenging the actions of companies and individuals in positions of power to simply do what is humane, just and in the best interest of all.
Lyndsay Sutton
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author is a partner in the firm where I work. Rob’s work over the last 20 years is well-captured here. It’s easy to read, not bogged down with technical science and legal language. This is a compelling story that everyone needs to read.
Sionainn Ditto
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Robert Bilott is what a real-life hero looks like. As long as corporations are unregulated by the government and by the EPA, chemicals like PFOA will continue to be manufactured and unregulated.
Kenneth Clarke
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every one in North America should read this book

It reads like a legal thriller with a protagonist who never gives in the fight for the little guy. Gripping from beginning to end. The book opens our eyes to the shenanigans in a gargantuan legal fight for justice on behalf of 70,000 people who drink water.
Beth
Stephanie Vincent
Nov 28, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Good Liar
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • Motherless Brooklyn
  • Know My Name
  • Love at First Like
  • Beneath the Tamarind Tree: A Story of Courage, Family, and the Lost Schoolgirls of Boko Haram
  • Everything Below the Waist: Why Health Care Needs a Feminist Revolution
  • The Forever War
  • Under Lying
  • The Collected Schizophrenias: Essays
  • Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls
  • The Invited
  • My Lost Family
  • Tidelands (The Fairmile #1)
  • Radical: The Science, Culture, and History of Breast Cancer in America
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Stony the Road: Reconstruction, White Supremacy, and the Rise of Jim Crow
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)