Start by marking “The Light After the War” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  45 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Inspired by an incredible true story of two Jewish friends who survived the Holocaust, this sweeping novel of love and friendship spans World War II from Budapest to Austria and the postwar years from Naples to Caracas, perfect for fans of The German Girl and We Were the Lucky Ones.

It is 1946 when Vera Frankel and her best friend Edith Ban arrive in Naples. Refugees from HungaOnes.
Audiobook
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by Simon Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Light After the War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light After the War

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Light After the War
Fran
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspired by true events experienced by author Anita Abriel's mother, a Holocaust survivor, "The Light After the War" is the story of a fight for survival, hope and happiness. We travel with best friends Vera and Edith viewing their lives both before and after World War II. In 1944, Hitler ordered German troops to invade Hungary. Vera Frankel, Edith Ban and their mothers were herded onto a train bound for Auschwitz. Mothers Alice Frankel and Lily Ban had a plan. When the train made a stop, a Germ ...more
Christine
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: invited to read by Atria via NG
3.5 stars (rounded to 3 stars)

The Light After the War is Ms. Abriel’s debut novel. I love that it was inspired by her mother’s experiences during and after surviving the Holocaust with her best friend after both jumped from a train headed for Auschwitz.

The story is mainly about the postwar lives of Vera and her best friend Edith. The time frame is 1946-1950 when the young women were 19-23 years old with several flashbacks taking place during the war years. The tale takes us from Bud
Annette
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Based on a true story of two friends growing up together in Budapest before WWII, surviving the war and after the war emigrating to Italy, then Americas – this novel shows what a true friendship means. A friendship tested through the hardest of possible times.

Naples, 1946. Nazis were defeated and the war was over. Now, the life is beaming with “the outdoor cafes overflowed with customers,” neighbors stop and talk to each other without any fear. “Neapolitans treat every day like a celebration.”<
Tammy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review TK
Rebecca
Oct 03, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debut
No matter how many WWII books I read, there is always more to learn. Looking forward to this story based on the author's mother's experience.
Nancy
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Inspired by her mother's story, Anita Abriel's The Light After the War takes readers across the world following the paths of girlhood friends Vera and Edith from Budapest to escaping the Nazis and hiding out in Austria, to Italy and Venezuela.

Believing they had lost their families and loved ones, the girls try to move on with their lives after the war. Edith dreams of becoming a fashion designer and Vera had hoped to be a playwright but settles for copywriting.

The background of Jews
Lynn
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Somewhat predictable, but nonetheless interesting, this novel follows the lives of two friends, Edith and Vera, whose lives are saved when Vera's mother pushes them off a train bound for Auschwitz. They have their share of difficulties, and their share of good luck.

Edith is constantly searching for love, and thinks she's found it with every man she meets. Her passion is fashion and her designs continue to pave the way to success for her.

Vera lands a secretarial job at the American Embassy in R
Kim Fox
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are many books out there about WWII. But this one is FANTASTIC!!

This is a story about two young ladies and their lives during and after the war. The author takes you back and forth thru time to tell the story of Vera and Edith, the places they go and the people who come in and out of their lives. There is happiness, sadness, despair and redemption. All things that I love in a book! I enjoyed this book so much that I will buy a copy once it come out!

I received this ebook from E
Kati Berman
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The Light After the War
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I grew up In Budapest, my father was in a labor camp during the Holocaust, many of my father’s siblings perished in Auschwitz, so this book was of much interest to me. I was unfortunately greatly disappointed. This was a fairy tale at best, contrived and predictable from the very beginning. Vera and Edith are lifelong friends, they grew up In Budapest together. They both escaped from a train h
Rose
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Light After The War" was inspired by a true story. This is the story of Eva and Vera two Jewish best friends, who grew up basically as sisters and what happens to them after WWII. There are sections where they are taken back to what happened during the war, but this is about what happened after. This book was good. I liked reading about what happened to the characters after the war. I haven't read a historical fiction book from that perspective yet, most are during the war. It gives you a s ...more
Andrea
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story of survival and love after World War 2. Great read! It is nice to see Anita Hughes nice writing as Anita Abriel. This is loosely the story of Anita's mother after World War II.
Stacy
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it

The Light After the War by Anita Abriel follows two best friends, Vera and Edith as they struggle to start over after losing everything and everyone in WWII. Beginning in Naples where the girls landed after spending the war hiding on a farm in Austria, the girls find they have lost their families, Edith’s fiancé and any future in Budapest, where they were originally from. In Naples however both meet men who influence the trajectory of their lives and though both Edith and Vera soon move on to Ca
Amie Wilson
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author of this story stated that it was inspired by her mother's experiences during and after WWII. Due to that statement, I kept thinking of it more like a memoir than historical fiction, wondering which parts of the story were true. Was the love story true and the experience with the main character's jealous first husband? Were Vera and Edith really sponsored to travel to the U.S. by the Rothschild family only to be left at Ellis Island when their sponsors were unreachable due to illness? ...more
Sherry Chiger
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Maybe if you have a much greater tolerance for coincidences and del ex machina than I do, along with a higher tolerance for lackluster prose, you will enjoy this. I found it simply unbelievable from beginning to end. The cardboard characters fall in love at first sight, get over survivors' guilt with just a few games of chess with a rabbi, and find characters presumed dead thanks to the unlikeliest of circumstances. Eyes "sparkle" and characters "skip" just about every chapter. We're supposed to ...more
Dana
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for lovers of historical fiction and romance novels. It is a light easy read on topics that are typically mixed with heavy emotions. On top of it all is the fact it is based on a true story—the author’s mother’s experience during and after WWII.

The story begins after the war and covers the experiences of a young woman coming of age post-war with her best friend. While there are flashbacks to the woman’s holocaust experience, the author only touches on war experience in small bursts.
Terry
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several historical fiction novels this year that are set during WWII. This novel is a little different in that it is set just after the war and the main characters are two Jewish women in their twenties who were lucky enough to have escaped the hands of the Nazis. These two friends, Vera and Edith, immigrate to Italy where Vera hopes to find work at the American embassy. Edith is a bit more of a dreamer and falls for practically any man who looks her way. Together, Edith and Vera make ...more
Lori
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a paperback advanced reader copy from the goodreads giveaways. "The Light After War" takes place right after the war ends In Europe. Vera and her best friend Edith were born three days a part in Budapest Hungary. When the world war and the Holocaust comes to where they live they are boarded on a train because they are Jewish. Their mother's push them off the train that is headed to Auschwitz. they hide out the rest of the war on a farm. after the war they end up in Naples. Vera gets a ...more
Dorothea
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

I received a complimentary e-book copy of this book from Simon & Schuster Australia through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. Thank you to Anita Abriel, Simon & Schuster Australia, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.

First off, I must say that I keep getting pulled back into stories about pre-WWII, WWII, and post WWII. It seems to be the flavor of book that I am most enjoying.

I really loved that this book w
Anita Rudin
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review. This story about love, friendship survival and resistance is outstanding. The book follows two best friends as they try to survive the horrors of WWII thru the Ghetto, a transport to Auschwitz, hiding on an Austrian farm and living in Italy, Venezuela, America and Australia. The story follows Edith Ban and Vera Frankel as refugees trying to survive despite terrible losses. The book is loosely based on Anita Abriel’s mother’s story ...more
Vanessa
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed this. The thing that made it better is that the story is based on real people. I read a lot of historical fiction that takes place during World War II. This is about 2 Jewish young women that managed to survive the war after escaping from a train bound for Auschwitz and hiding in a small town in Austria. They have lost everything. Parents, homes, loved ones are all gone. The girls travel to Italy to start a new life and the story continues from there. I thought it was a great st ...more
Natalie
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rarely have I read a novel with such a perfect title. Rather than the sad and depressing Holocaust literature we usually read, this is a story full of hope. In fact, it is based on a true story. As a reader, I loved the way it illustrated that those who survived the war went on to live and find joy.

Vera and Edith had to hide to prevent being brought to the concentration camps. They did survive and their spirit and friendship pushed them forward. They went to Naples, then to Venezuela and, final
Diana Petty-stone
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two young Jewish girls survive Budapest, avoid Auschwitz, flea to Austria then make their way to Naples. They manage to get to the United States because Samuel Rothschild saw a picture of them in LIFE magazine and sent them tickets to sail on the Queen Elizabeth. He died before they arrived and without a sponsor could not stay in America. Venezuela .was accepting refugees without question so they ended up in Caracas. This is an incredible true story of two brave and determined woman who survived ...more
Pattie
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2019-read
4.5/5 stars
What a moving story. Told from the point of view of Vera Frankel, Anita Abriel skillfully weaves the story of two young women--Vera and her best friend, Edith Ban--who have survived World War II, with flashbacks of Vera's past memories of childhood and school days. I enjoyed reading this and I think it would make a good movie someday. It has the story of a sweeping saga, with characters that are believable and sympathetic, with plenty of drama and romance and mystery and heart.
P Bernhardt
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several books about people surviving during WWII in occupied Europe. This story was different. Although it included the two young girl's stories about their escape for the train heading to Auschwitz, it centered mostly on their lives after the war. It is a story of survival, loves won and lost, and their internal conflicts. In its basic form, it is a romance. Above all else, it is well-written and certainly worth reading.
Alexandra Birdy  Veglahn
Absolutely breathtaking story, inspired by real events. This book had me by my heart the whole way through. I absolutely adored the two best friends and their friendship though hardships and joys. If you want a book that will make you cry and cheer with the characters this is the book for you.
Haley
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I requested this because while we get a lot of WWII historical fiction, we don't get a lot of post-war from the jewish perspective, so this sounded interesting. The story itself was fine, but I found the writing to be a little flat, and I really did not like Vera at all.
Mercedes
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Historical drama about survival after WWII.
Eva and Vera survived the camps and set of to find a better life in America but things don't always turn out the way you hope.
Great drama,emotional,twists, friendship and history of that time.
Great read.
Voluntarily reviewed
Betsy Dunphy
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful novel focused on the lives of two eastern European women, close friends from childhood, during and after WWII.
Nancy
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.
A bit contrived but I did enjoy reading this.
Rachael Burrows
Such a wonderful read! If you are a fan of WWII historical fiction, this is the book for you!

• בית על מים רבים
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • The Whispers of War
  • Last Couple Standing
  • Dear Edward
  • Largo pétalo de mar
  • Welcoming the Unwelcome: Wholehearted Living in a Brokenhearted World
  • Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
  • A Hundred Suns
  • The Second Home
  • A Fire Sparkling
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • When Time Stopped: A Memoir of My Father's War and What Remains
  • Thorns
Anita Abriel was born in Sydney, Australia. She received a BA in English Literature with a minor in Creative Writing from Bard College. She lives in California with her family and is the author of The Light After the War which was inspired by her mother’s story of survival during WWII.