Start by marking “The Awkward Yeti Presents: How I Broke Up with My Colon: Fascinating, Bizarre, and True Health Stories” as Want to Read:

Fascinating, bizarre, and educational true-life medical stories retold in cartoon form by the creator of the bestselling Heart and Brain book series.

Mysterious illnesses. Freakish injuries. X-rays revealing something weird that got stuck in your foot. These strange but true stories are among the 24 medical tales retold in hilarious fashion by New York Times bestselling
Expected publication: March 24th 2020 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Awkward Yeti Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awkward Yeti Presents

Start your review of The Awkward Yeti Presents: How I Broke Up with My Colon: Fascinating, Bizarre, and True Health Stories
MischaS_
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the Awkward Yeti. However, I always only followed the comics online; I did not read any of the previous books.
But I can certainly say that this is one of the best from online comics to a book I've ever read. I did not expect to get whole stories (over several pages long) instead of the usual short comic strips. And it was so well done. And I believe this is completely new content, I never saw any of these stories only before this.
Every chapter tells a story of a different person which is
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I love The Awkward Yeti, so whenever I see that there's a new collection up on Netgalley, I jump to download it as soon as possible. I think this has to be one of my favorite works of Seluk's yet, even though it totally branches out from the usual style! Instead of a collection of short, humorous, silly comics, this is actually a collection of true medical stories that were submitted (mostly by patients, but sometimes by providers) and then dramatized through comics. They're still adorable and ...more
I love the Awkward Yeti, so thought this would be more of the usual humor that you see there.

It is not.

Instead, it is just as funny, and weird, and tells stories of medical conditions that turned out weirdly. Done in the same style as that of the Awkward Yeti, we hear stories of kidney stones, and moldy pancakes, and losing ones sense of smell.

Fun, but weird book.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Emma Ferrier
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: age-misc, non-fiction
This was like a buzzfeed article in comic form and I LOVED IT. Some of these were funny and others, downright fascinating. I could have read fifty more editions quite happily!
Kelly Long
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
I have enjoyed the Awkward Yeti comics I have read before. This one was somewhat different from the others I've read but still has a lot of humor. I loved the artwork too.
Ioanna
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing

The Awkward Yeti is back (and I couldn't be happier)!

How I Broke Up with My Colon is a collection of peculiar, funny, and -let's be honest - somewhat scary medical situations. The Awkward Yeti took those stories, illustrated them in the way we all know and love, and created a full comic that is so enjoyable you'll actually read it in one go. Extra points for the humorous comments inserted through
Amanda Lee
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've seen Awkward Yeti comics online and loved them. This was a well done book that tells a story over a few pages.

The stories ranged from funny to the down right scary. I loved the comments added in throughout the stories, they really brought the humour.

If you're looking for something quick and funny, this is a must read.
Raven Terry
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks NetGalley for this ARC, in exchange for an honest review. First, I love the Heart and Brain webcomics/memes and the Awkward Yeti. So, no surprise, I really enjoyed this! The stories were insane! The last story, Jesus SMH. I can’t wait until it’s available for order through our distributor!
Crystal
How I Broke Up with my Colon is by Nick Seluk, of Awkward Yeti/ Heart and Brain comics/ Organ Attack card game fame. I love his comic collections, so I was super excited to get approved for an advanced copy of How I Broke Up with My Colon. As soon as I downloaded it, I started reading. The book is surprisingly easy to tear through without realizing it. A classic case of "just one more" turning into staying up past my bedtime and finishing the book without realizing it.

So the good news is that
Theediscerning
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
We leave the Heart and Brain characters from this series' regular comic pages behind here, as we see instead reportage dressed up in cartoonish ways. And this is all reportage from the front line of medical incident, where people swallow sewing needles, entire rockpool shells jam themselves into feet, and so on. A couple of the vox pops are just simple anecdote, or discussion of what it's like to have this or that, and so suffer a little from lack of incident, but the creator of the images is ...more
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I do love The Awkward Yeti's comics and so I couldn't resist this book about all sorts of health stories, I wasn't sure what to expect though, other than health and comics. :P Let me just tell you, my tumtum isn't happy with what he read. :P I would probably already have been feeling naesous reading about it, but also having graphics and illustrations made things a tad too much. That shell. OMG, ewwwwwwwwwwwwww, or that needle,
Anandi Puritipati
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I never know how to rate the Awkward Yeti comics because they are hilarious, but never 5-star heart touching hilarious amazing, you know?

Anyway, this collection from The Akwars Yeti is about freaky medical things that have happened to people. It's fun to read through - especially if the human body and it's bizarre nature is something that interests you. Some stories were funny, almost all were weird and the illustrations were pretty dope, as always.

10/10 would recommend!

Thanks to Netgalley for
Bexa
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly funny and real stories about people's medical maladies. I'm used to reading Seluk's single comics, so reading whole stories was very rewarding and I laughed more than I probably should have at these people's stories. I appreciate people's willingness to share crappy moments in their lives for the amusement of others, and Seluk does wonderful work with all the different organs.

Copy provided by NetGalley.
Kathy
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nick Seluk has produced another entertainingly illustrated collection. Using some of your favourite characters from Heart and Brain he illustrates a collection of anecdotes of the weird conditions and situations presenting in the doctor's clinic. As an Awkward Yeti fan I enjoyed Seluk's style, but felt it missed some of the whimsy of his comics. 4 stars.
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Justin
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
ABSOLUTELY LOVED EVERY PAGE!

As a cancer survivor who has had numerous inadvertent comical medical encounters throughout his journey, I thought this book was a great look at the humor within a hospital's four walls. I even learned something new in each story. I shot through it in less than a day, and probably could have done it even faster if my pesky job didn't get in the way.

ARC gained from NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
Elia
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a whole bunch of my favorite things all rolled into one. First, it's Awkward Yeti, which I love, second it focuses on the guts characters, which I love even more (my fiance and I ARE Heart and Brain, I swear!) and it's a compilation of horrifying medical stories, which are AWESOME.
Some of these are hard to read for the squeamish (I am not even squeamish and some of them made my bones ache) and some are just silly or funny, but all of them are weird and fascinating.
Lilli
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm new to Awkward Yeti and honestly had no idea what to expect with this book, but was pleasantly surprised. This was one of the funniest books I've ever read. Some of the stories are cringey but still manage to be hilarious.
Fabiola Meza Castro
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this book through NetGalley. Since I'm such a huge fan of the others, I couldn't wait to read it. I found this funny and interesting. I'll continue reading anything that Nick Seluk decides to publish.
Nettie
Nov 30, 2019 added it

The Awkward Yeti is by far one of the best comic strips out today. I love all the organs. And this book tries to bring to light some of the ways they like to mess with people. Its laugh out loud funny.
Graeme
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Disgusting and entertaining with decent digital art. I'll hold out hope for a sequel with stories of severe bodily trauma with black and white detailed ink sketches, maybe manga styled in the fashion after the gruesome art of Berserk.
Diana
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustrated
Review Soon
Jess Smiley
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! The stories contained in this collection are truly harrowing and terrifying. The Awkward Yeti has delivered yet again with his trademark with and charm.
Amanda Harris
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a huge fan of Heart & Brain comics, I couldn't pass up reading this collection. A series of true medical stories, with some added humor and illustrations. A few of the stories were bland, but most of them were very entertaining and disturbing. I have a few good friends that are ER nurses, and stories like this are epically funny.
Steff Pasciuti

• This Book Will Make You Fall Asleep
  • The Princesse de Clèves
  • Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood: Berkeley Mews Comics
  • Everything Is Beautiful, and I'm Not Afraid: A Baopu Collection
  • Calm the F*ck Down Journal: Practical Ways to Stop Worrying and Take Control of Your Life
  • Bird Brain: Comics About Mental Health, Starring Pigeons
  • All Cats Are Introverts
  • Dungeons and Drawings: An Illustrated Compendium of Creatures
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • An ABC of Equality
  • Breaking Up Is Hard To Do... But You Could've Done Better
  • Mooncakes
  • Diana, Princess Of The Amazons
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
Cartoonist behind The Awkward Yeti.
Current comic series include Heart and Brain, Lars, Medical Tales Retold, and a plethora of miscellaneous webcomics under The Awkward Yeti name.