Start by marking “Honor of the Regiment” as Want to Read:
Honor of the Regiment

Honor of the Regiment (Bolo #4)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  1,104 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The future of war--and the fate of man--lies with one machine: the Bolo. With plated armor, a laser cannon, an electronic brain, and wheels, it defends humanity from aliens that threaten the entire species. Now comes the amplified history of the Bolo in stories by David Drake, S.M. Stirling, Mercedes Lackey and others.

Contains:

LOST LEGION
CAMELOT
THE LEGACY OF LEONIDAS
PLOUGH
Published June 25th 2002 by Baen Books (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Honor of the Regiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honor of the Regiment

Jim
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Bolos were his greatest creation. He anthropomorphizes the machines, artificially intelligent tanks, rather than sticks to a truer AI form & winds up saying a lot about their creators. Lots of action, too. Excellent.
Brian Schiebout
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Honor of the Regiment edited by Bill Fawcett is a set of short stories set in the Bolos Universe. Bolos are enormous autonomous tanks which were first created in the writing of Keith Laumer. This book includes many stories from some of the biggest names in science fiction. Lost Legion by S. M. Stirling tells the story of one of the first Bolos which exists during the time of the fall of the United States. The troops the tank is assigned to are assigned to preserve order in a third world nation b ...more
Andreas
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Bolos are huge self-aware robotic battle tanks/mobile fortresses. Throughout a very long history of wars and conflicts, they have served humanity selflessly.

After Laumer’s death, Baen thought to resurrect the Bolos with a series of anthologies featureing a variety of authors. There is some excellent, some good, and some less good, but the overall quality is surprisingly high. It is military SciFi in a very pure form, and many will probably be put off by this. I have read the first four books:

Bo
Simon Ford
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great military based s-f.

From the weapons point of view, a sentient uber-tank.

I don't really look too deep into the stories I read, I just escape into another place and time from the here and now.

Though these stories aren't by the original author they are still good.

Keith Laumer is another "new" storyteller to me as I had not heard of him till recently, am glad I have.

Have now collected a few more books about Bolos and will read them at my leisure.
Brian Turner
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Collection of short stories featuring Keith Laumer's Bolos - AI controlled tanks of the future.
Covers from Mk III up to Mk LX and a few 20's and 30's.
There's no real stand out stories in this collection. They've got a decent selection of authors to put their spin on things in a fairly workmanlike fashion.
Arjen Schwarz
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
The first of the Bolos books, it's an interesting read as it shows the future of humanity through the eyes of the AIs that are humanity's greatest war machines. Through various short stories by different authors it displays the honor and dedication of these enormous tanks, from a Mark III all the way to a Mark LX, each with its own quirks.
Nathan
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book as a good example of science fiction exploring the nature of what it means to be a person, experience life, and have purpose through the interaction between humans and machines (the Bolos). It's a great collection of short stories about duty, honor, and sacrifice. As far as short story collections go, this is a good one.
Adam
Dec 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Like most Bolo books, it's a collection of short stories.

Lost Legion: 2 stars. Pretty dry
Camelot: 5 stars. One of the best.
Legacy of Leonidas: 4 stars. Quite good
Ploughshare: 4 stars
Ghosts: 2 stars
Ghost of Restartus: 4 stars. Interesting ideas
Operation Desert Fox: 5 stars and a LOT of smiles
As Our Strength Lessens: 3 stars. Interesting, but dry.
Jeff
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Fans
The Bolo stories are Keith Laumer to me. Read in my youth, I was intrigued by the characterizations of the big war machines. Laumer was able to evoke emotion from me for inanimate objects-but were they really inanimate? Anyway, theses stories are another of my mainstays of Sci-Fi.
Paul Pearce
Aug 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Not actually by Keith Laumer, just set in the universe he created. A collection of tales about artificially intelligent tanks, many of which have more honor and soul than the humans they are protecting.
Paul Byer
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I adore anything with well-defined technology. This book is fantastic!
Darcy
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I know computers have hearts because of this science fiction series. My heart feels like it is going to explode with sympathy whenever I read it.
Al Lock
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The Bolos stories are always fun to read. Very entertaining. This one is no different.
Jon
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love everything Bolo. I know I read this, but it was a while ago, so I can't recall anything specific. But it's Bolo. So, giant, thinking tanks with huge battles. I'm in.
Richard
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Nice shorts about Bolos from differing authors.
A~
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short stories about super tanks. I read this years ago. Loved it. Still love it.
I wish I had a Bolo
David
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Huge fun for young-adult reading. I loved these.
William
Tim
rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2017
Jesse Vavrek
rated it did not like it
Sep 26, 2008
Richard Hein
Feb 08, 2017
review the individual stories? 1 4 Oct 01, 2013 08:41PM
  • Cold Steel: Bolos 6
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • Old Guard: Bolos Anthology 5 (Bolos, #5)
  • The Triumphant (Bolos 3)
  • The Road to Damascus
  • Man-Kzin Wars 9 (Man-Kzin Wars, #9)
  • The Butcher's Bill
  • The Dance of Time (Belisarius, #6)
  • The Three-Cornered War  (The Regiment, #5)
  • The Reformer (The General, #7)
  • Interstellar Patrol II: The Federation of Humanity
  • Extremis (Starfire, #6)
John Keith Laumer (9 June 1925–23 January 1993) was an American science fiction author. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, he was an officer in the U.S. Air Force and a U.S. diplomat. His brother March Laumer was also a writer, known for his adult reinterpretations of the Land of Oz (also mentioned in Keith's The Other Side of Time).

Keith Laumer (aka J.K Laumer, J. Keith Laumer) is best known f
More about Keith Laumer...

Bolo (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Bolo (Bolo #1)
  • Rogue Bolo
  • The Stars Must Wait
  • The Unconquerable: Bolos 2
  • The Triumphant (Bolos 3)
  • Last Stand: Bolos 4
  • Old Guard: Bolos Anthology 5 (Bolos, #5)
  • Cold Steel: Bolos 6
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • Bolo Rising