Start by marking “Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual” as Want to Read:
Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual

Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual

The ultimate guide on leadership from the #1 New York Times bestselling co-author of Extreme Ownership.

In the military, a field manual provides instructions in simple, clear, step-by-step language to help soldiers complete their mission. In the civilian sector, books offer information on everything from fixing a leaky faucet to developing an effective workout program to
Published January 14th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

Start your review of Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual
Genevieve
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isnt a book that you should read cover to cover. In my opinion, Id recommend reading Jockos other books, Extreme Ownership, Dichotomy of Leadership, and Discipline Equals Freedom first. Then, after some self-reflectiononce you understand the principles taught in those books, you can use this book the way It was intended to. This books helps guide you along The path of discipline which is discussed in Discipline Equals Freedom. This book is truly a field manual. If you understand the ...more
Rhett Reisman
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an easy to consume summary of lessons from Extreme Ownership and The Dichotomy of Leadership written as a manual meant to be revisited.

Ive found the tactics in those books useful professionally, and plan on buying a physical copy of this book to revisit and page through - the audiobook is great too though.

If you want a comprehensive book/guide on military/business/any kind of leadership with no extra fluff, this is it.
Benjamin Hall
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cant recommend this book enough. It goes right to the top like both of Jockos other books. Extreme Ownership and The Dichotomy of Leadership! Read them all! ...more
Michael Janes
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Audiobook) While it does include advice and examples from the business world, this book is an ideal step-by-step guide for young military Officers. I came in somewhat biased against the book, (not sure why), but I came away loving it. Jocko gives real world examples of nearly all the problems a leader will face but better yet, he gives clear-cut instructions on how to best navigate the pitfalls. I've yet to encounter a leadership book with such succinct and useful instructions. It's rare to ...more
Mike
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of great points reiterated from Extreme Ownership and Dichotomy of Leadership. Only downfall is not a ton of new material and I personally found it harder to stay engaged as the other two books. The other two provided a lot of real life stories which for me personally was more engaging of a read.
Paul Smith
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read - loved the application of military experience to a larger audience

This book discusses many of the fundamentals that we preach but unfortunately seldom practice. Seeing practical advice and how it can be applied to a variety of situations is helpful and I intend to add some of these tactics to my daily interactions.
Scott James
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book on Leadership. I am big fan of Jocko's and this is an excellent manual for any level of leader, both new and seasoned. Highly recommend!
Brian
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
jocko does it again, but even more clearly and plainly than Extreme ownership. must read.
Eric
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good advise and wise insights from a trusted and established leader.
Ross Sheddon
Basically a Greatest Hits. Better to read Extreme Ownership, as this guide looses the narrative and nuance.
aaaaljaz
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jocko delivers yet again with this insightful field manual for leaders
Will West
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one. Brilliant. HOWEVER, it's more like a refresher of extreme ownership and dichotomy of leadership. Use this as review/reference. Wouldn't recommend as a first Jocko book. Read his other material first. Then use this as a companion.
Zachary Carson
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy to read breakdown of leadership strategies. Jocko takes information from his two books, Extreme Ownership and Dichotomy of Leadership, and smashes them together in a more strategy based approach.
John Mc Graw Jr
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
While I did enjoy the book, and respect how it is different than its predecessors, I also found it lacking where the others didn't. Yes, all the tools...and then some...on how to lead are found within this book. However, the previous two books also came with rich detailed examples to help apply the knowledge immediately. This book carries a TON of tools at the conceptual level I how to be a great leader, I would have liked to see more of them in action for business. While it will hit home with ...more
Kristian Strauss
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely worth a read on leadership, setting a high standard for leadership and dispelling many misconceptions about the art, jocko explains leadership in his own style based on his notable experiance leading navy seals in combat , definitely worth a read.
Tom
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one. Will refer to it often.
David Hubbard
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book, one of the best leadership books I have read.
Fred Leland
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strategy and Tactics on Leadership you can use

This book is packed full of not only tactics to use but with world class examples of how to implement them in your organization. I love The authors candid and frank delivery which is a breath of fresh air in discussing leadership which is all too often misunderstood and based on romantic views of how to lead. This book o highly recommend to those looking too love their teams and organizations forward.
Rehmat
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a great value addition to the leadership from a Seal Navy leader. The author shares his ideas about effective leadership in Seal Navy and its strategy and tactics which can be applied by any leader in any civil public institutions or private organizations or businesses.

One of the most important strategies offered in Leadership Strategy and Tactics is the concept of Extreme Ownership. In fact, its so important that the author could devote a whole separate book on the subject.

You may
Rishabh Srivastava
A great summary of implementing management principles that Jocko outlines in Extreme Ownership and The Dichotomy of Leadership. Was a breeze to read  but was also far too repetitive and could have been far shorter.

My main takeaways were:

1. If not facing an emergency, dont tell your team what the plan is. Instead, ask them to come up with a plan for you to review, and then add to it if needed. This way, youll never have to worry about buy in the team has already bought into the plan. Even if the
Stephen Stilwell
1 Sentence Summary: Leadership Strategy And Tactics shows you how to become effective when youre in charge by using the power of traits like accountability, humility, and others that Jocko Willink uses to lead his team of Navy SEALs.

Here are just 3 of my favorite lessons this book teaches about leadership:

1 To see the best move forward for your team, take a step backward, even literally if you have to.
2 Effective leadership means having enough humility to do things like picking up brass.
3 If you
David D.  Knapp, Ph.D.
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I must admit that I am generally skeptical when it comes to reading leadership books by former military leaders, because what works in the military often doesn't translate into civilian settings. However, a participant enthusiastically recommended this book to me after he recently attended one of my "Marathon Leadership" training sessions. So I picked it up.

Two things pleasantly surprised me about the book. The first is that Jocko Willink and I share a lot of similar views about leadership -
Seth Davis
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is quite possibly my favorite leadership book. I'm a big fan of Jocko's stuff. The book starts a bit repetitively to some of his other content with references to the men he lost. However, this allows him to repeat and move through that important content and on to the rest of the book. I highly recommend the audio version with Jocko himself reading it. I found the book to have repeatedly strong leadership frameworks and examples that are applicable to everyday life.

The book is likely strong
Mark
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extreme Ownership was the de facto leadership tome. Dichotomy of Leadership then came along and provided more timeless leadership lessons. This book follows on from these two groundbreaking books and (for me,) this is the best. It somehow works so much better than the other two (excellent) books. I read it cover to cover but something tells me that I will keep dipping in and out of specific sections going forward. Once again the lessons here are timeless and for the most part applicable ...more
Tyson Simmons
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great summary of Jocko's previous books in a more direct format

I highly recommend reading Extreme Ownership and The Dichotomy of Leadership. Both of those books changed my outlook on life and leadership. This book is a more direct manual to the various tactics and topics covered previously. You will definitely get a lot out of this book of you just read it by itself, but reading it after the others will give you a much deeper understanding. Overall, fantastic lessons for any leader, any team
Mary
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read two of this author's previous books and enjoyed them a lot. From my perspective, this book has practical advice on how the aspects of leadership, ownership, and dichotomy (balance) of leading might look like. He gives scenario examples to further exemplify his tactics.

Theres also a lot of advixe on self reflection in your role as a leader, however that role might exist.
This book is basically condenses his two books (Dichotomy of Leadership & Extreme Ownership) into a good,
John Sperling
This guy is a former Navy Seal who knows a thing or two about leading people. While some of the writing seems overly simplified and redundant, the points get made clearly and effectively. Combat principles like simplify, prioritize and execute, and decentralized command can be applied to leadership in any organization. Applying the ideas in this book will make you a more effective leader. It's also helpful for those who aren't in a leadership position and want to have a better idea of how ...more
Stipe Baćilo
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really fantastic in describing examples of solving leadership problems.
It teaches you to stay humble, calm and how make proper shotcalling decisions.
It teaches you, what team is, what are the principles of leadership in everyday life.
It teaches you, how to manouver through the ego shields of others, as well as what extreme ownership is.
And oh boy.
When you take a look back on the lessons, people still keep laughing and keep questioning as parrots: "Where is your team?"
Your team is
Mike
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best of the three books Ive read from Jocko. This is extreme ownership and dichotomy of leadership in one quick read. Added in is many focus areas from his podcast.

Liked how he broke it down and simple it was to read with a lot of vignettes. Self righteous at times, he is seal after all. But never over the top in my opinion.

This would be a great book for senior leaders to use as a reflection of their own leadership. Or for junior leaders as you lay the ground work to foundation in leadership.
Bobby Hurl
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insight and guidance on strategies to help you lead! It's not just "war stories" and how Jocko led SEALs. Yes, there are war stories, but the content of the leadership strategies are positioned in such a great way that you can easily take those ideals and put them to practice! I will be keeping this one close at work and will be referring back to it regularly. Truly a "Field Manual" for leadership strategies.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• You Are Worth It: Building a Life Worth Fighting For
  • The Motive: Why So Many Leaders Abdicate Their Most Important Responsibilities
  • Upstream: The Quest to Solve Problems Before They Happen
  • It Takes What It Takes: How to Think Neutrally and Gain Control of Your Life
  • The Infinite Game
  • The Future Is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives
  • The Right Kind of Crazy: Navy SEAL, Covert Operative, and Boy Scout from Hell
  • Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything
  • Staring Down the Wolf: 7 Leadership Commitments That Forge Elite Teams
  • Leadership is Language: How Small Changes in What You Say Can Make a Huge Difference to Your Team’s Results
  • The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
  • Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life
  • The Geometry of Wealth: How to shape a life of money and meaning
  • Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America
  • The Way of Men
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World

News & Interviews

“So how can a leader become great if they lack the natural characteristics necessary to lead? The answer is simple: a good leader builds a great team that counterbalances their weaknesses.” 2 likes