Start by marking “Finna” as Want to Read:
Finna

Finna

Nino Cipri's Finna is a rambunctious, touching story that blends all the horrors the multiverse has to offer with the everyday awfulness of low-wage work. It explores queer relationships and queer feelings, capitalism and accountability, labor and love, all with a bouncing sense of humor and a commitment to the strange.

When an elderly customer at a Swedish big box
Published February 25th 2020 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Finna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finna

Start your review of Finna
Chaima ✨ شيماء
two exes have to track an elderly woman through the multiverse after IKEA's maze-like interior punches a whole through space-time? also, non-binary rep? SIGN ME UP
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.5 Stars
This was such an entertaining science fiction novella that bought it elements of horror with some dangerous furniture. Yet despite the goofy synopsis, this was a surprisingly heartfelt story. I only expected a fun, light-hearted adventure, but I honestly didn’t think I would love the story as much as I did.

First, the IKEA-like setting was fantastic. The story reminded me a bit of Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix in how it explores the pains of retail employment. I also really appreciated
Lisa Wolf
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
What fun! Finna is a story about wormholes opening up in an Ikea-like superstore, and it's also a story about relationships and heartbreak and healing. And did I mention the WORMHOLES in IKEA? This novella is fast-paced and funny, with quirky, snappy dialogue and weird as hell alternate universes. In a Swedish furniture store! Really a blast -- check it out!

Review copy courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley.
Lauren Stoolfire
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, lgbtq, adventure
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When an elderly customer at a Swedish big box furniture store — but not that one — slips through a portal to another dimension, it’s up to two minimum-wage employees to track her across the multiverse and protect their company’s bottom line. Multi-dimensional swashbuckling would be hard enough, but those two unfortunate souls broke up a week ago. To find the missing granny, Ava and Jules will brave carnivorous furniture, swarms of
FanFiAddict
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 8.5/10

Thanks to the publisher and author for an advance reading copy of Finna in exchange for an honest review. Receiving this eARC did not influence my thoughts or opinions on the novel.

Multi-dimensional portal opens up in IKEA-like store that leads to a lionhearted adventure between two (2) low-waged co-workers who just broke things off. Oh, and did I mention they are going after someone’s grandma who just happened upon said portal? What more do you need?

Like a majority of Tor.com’s
Lori
When a shopper's grandmother accidentally gets lost inside a wormhole that opens up inside of their furniture store, ex-partners Jules and Ava are sent into the abyss to bring her back.

In Finna, Cipri perfectly captures the soul-sucking turdfest that is corporate retail while also giving us the all the feels - because c'mon, who hasn't been stuck working a shit ass job that you hate but can't afford to leave while also attempting to avoid your ex, who also works there? Right?

It's the perfect
Sana
Feb 21, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
HELLO, MULTIVERSE WITH A SIDE OF CAPITALISM AND QUEERNESS. Also, this is written by a queer and trans author. GET IT, TOR.COM
Claire Rousseau
This was delightful, in turns creepy and touching and rage-inducing, with some proper 'holy shit' moments. Will be keeping an eye on whatever Cipri writes next! My first 5-star read of the year!
Crini
Feb 21, 2019 marked it as get-on-my-shelf-already  ·  review of another edition
SO here for "what would a wormhole in IKEA lead to?" and "queer relationships and queer feelings, the everyday awfulness of low-wage work, wormholes, and carnivorous furniture."

(source)
Casey the Reader
Thanks to Tor.com for the free advance copy of this book.

Ava and Jules are sales associates at an IKEA-like store, and they have just broken off their relationship. The first day they see each other at work again, an elderly shopper wanders into a wormhole that has opened in one of their showrooms. Naturally, Ava and Jules are selected to travel the multiverse together to find her.

FINNA is only about 100 pages long, but it packs a whole lot into those pages. It's hilarious while also taking aim
Carla B.  Estruch
Beware! There are chairs that could eat you whole in one bite in this tale about a fictional Ikea.

It was the first time I read something by Nino Cipri and I can assure you it will not be the last. I enjoyed FINNA a lot and, in fact, I read it in two days. The story's rhythm, the idea behind it and the characters that lived through it... For me, it all made a fabulous new constellation. I just hope it is not the last we heard from them. I want to travel eternally through this multiverse!
The thing
Paul
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cipri has the deft skill of weaving characterization into their plotting. I loved the banter, but that sarcasm does cut. Humorous and biting. Spend an afternoon or morning or night in this author’s wickedly wacky world. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

5 out of 5 stars

For my full review: https://paulspicks.blog/2020/01/30/fi...

For all my reviews: https://paulspicks.blog
K.A. Doore
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
My first thought on reading about this book was it would be a bit like Grady Hendrix's Horrorstör - a humorous horror takedown of Capitalism and retail "culture" through the lens of our most favorite-to-hate Swedish retailer - and I was only half wrong. This book is about the unquiet horror of capitalism, yes, but it's also a poignant and hopeful take on identity, family, and the paths we choose - or sometimes seize - for ourselves..
When an elderly customer goes missing, Ava is volun-told to
Jordan Shiveley
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I just finished reading FINNA and I have to say the novella sized story is rapidly becoming one of my favorite lengths. Much like it’s minimum wage heartbroken protagonists Finna has little time to waste or words to mince before pulling you headlong into a lean, perfectly paced Swedish furniture tinged multidimensional horror romp.

Oh also it’s a wrenching story of emotional trauma, queer romance and gender identity all mixed with carnivorous...well I’ll let you find out what is carnivorous.
Elizabeth
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has been to an Ikea knows that it is a lawless place that violates physics and exists in a purely liminal space between realities. One minute you’re in a perfect model apartment, organized into two hundred flawlessly neat square feet, and the next you’re buying cutlery with a Swedish name that makes the less mature among us giggle. Nino Cipro’s new novella, graciously given to me by Tor.com publishing, takes this concept on a literal level, to contain a twisty work that contains both ...more
The Captain
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

This novella answers the question about what would happen if a wormhole opened up in Ikea, I mean, LitenVärld (copyright issues!). In this short but fun #ownvoices story, a grandmother wanders through the portal to another universe and gets lost. Two employees have been tasked to find her . . . only they just broke up a week ago and are barely speaking.

The premise
Kristen
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review is here, on my blog~

This story caught my attention from an article on Tor.com. To quote the author:

“This story mixes together a lot of things that are close to my heart: queer relationships and queer feelings, the everyday awfulness of low-wage work, wormholes, and carnivorous furniture. It’s a story about what we can and can’t escape from: capitalism and accountability, labor and love.”

Queer feelings and carnivorous furniture, you say? Sign me absolutely all of the way up for this
Tsana Dolichva
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FINNA by Nino Cipri is an amusing novella set in a thinly veiled Ikea store in the US. It features wormholes to parallel universes, and two employees who recently broke up and have not yet worked through the awkward post-breakup period.

I really enjoyed FINNA. As is my habit, I had forgotten what it was about (aside from thinking that it was vaguely Scandinavian which it was, emphasis on the vaguely). The opening of the book sets the scene with a focus on the protagonist’s general misery from her
Amy
Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher for the chance to read this novella!

Rating: 4.5 stars
Rep: f/non-binary relationship, POC MC and MC with mental illness (anxiety & depression).

As someone who doesn't tend to reach for a lot of sci-fi, I was a little apprehensive to pick this up. But after I found out it had such good rep, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to read it and I'm so glad I did!

I adored the main characters, I loved their connection and especially all the tension! The
The Resistance Bookclub
** I received an ARC through Netgalley in return for an honest review**
Short Answer: I need this to be a full-length novel and Netflix Original TV Show
Longer Answer: Finna is a novella that seems to contradict itself in being simultaneously very unrealistic and unrealistic.
Plot wise, this story is bonkers sci-fi at its best: social criticism wrapped in a layer of hilariously weird-but-smart settings and world-building. A portal sci-fi in a non-copyright-Ikea-equivalent. Even trying to explain
Jo Ladzinski
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, friends
Received an eARC from the author

The nightmare of IKEA—I'm sorry, LitenVäld—is made so much worse when it turns out that there are multiple versions of each one scattered throughout a multiverse. It doesn't help when you have to navigate it with your ex who is also your co-worker.

The relationship between Ava and Jules is so completely. Both of them are bona fide disasters. Cipri expertly sets up the conflicts and that ended their relationships as the kinds of arguments which help them survive
Annie
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I daresay that a lot of people who visit a certain Swedish home store feel overwhelmed and lost as they wander from set piece to set piece before they finally find their way out, hours later. At LitenVäld, a similar gigantic operation that serves as the setting for Nino Cipri’s highly entertaining Finna, customers and employees who become lost in the store run the risk of walking through wormholes to LitenVälds in other universes...

Read the rest of my review at A Bookish Type. I received a free
Marshall Boyd
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good multiverse-spanning adventure. Funny, anti-capitalist, and heartwarming.
Olav
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever spent too long in an IKEA and gotten disoriented by the cavalcade of showrooms and design arrangements, you'll feel at home in the pages of Finna, the new anticaptialist portal fantasy from Nino Cipri.

Breezy, fun, and engaging, Nino Cipri's new novella is a delightful little book that I'm recommending to all my SFF-reading friends.
Tammy
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: Wormholes, a missing grandmother, relationship drama and even some eldritch god horror infuse this short and lively novella with excitement and heart.

Tammy
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Finna was a lot of wacky fun, with some surprisingly thoughtful emotional moments and commentary on identity. I wasn’t sure all these disparate elements would mesh together, but by the end of the story I was completely convinced. Nino Cipri is a nonbinary author, and they have written an insightful, #ownvoices story dealing with
Christina
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a world only a little different from our own, there exists a home furnishings store called LitenVärld. That's "Small World" in Swedish, but it turns out that neither the store nor the world is particularly small. Both are places where people can get lost, and that's exactly where Nino Cipri's story begins: a missing grandmother, a labyrinth of affordable room solutions, and two employees who are also lost, albeit emotionally, and hoping desperately that they can help everyone get found again. ...more
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
I received a copy of Finna through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Finna is a whirlwind adventure set in a shocking environment. Written by Nino Cipri, this piece of speculative science fiction makes heavy use of wormholes, multiple dimensions, and the humbling nature that is minimum wage life.

This novella takes a swipe at capitalism, all under the guise of science fiction and entertainment. It’s a hilarious tale, yet carries with it several important messages, as well as a
Adrian M
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finna is a fun and fast novella that manages to pack a number of big ideas & emotionally engaging character arcs into its short, punchy page count.

It tells the tale of two low-wage retail workers at an IKEA-alike furniture store who must enter an extra-dimensional portal (created by the confusion the showroom layout causes) in order to find a customer who went missing, or an "appropriate replacement".

The set-up in some ways feels like the punchline to a joke (which is essentially confirmed
Leslie
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks so much to NetGalley and Macmillan-Tor/Forge for the early review copy, and a very happy book birthday to Finna!

Ava and Jules work at a giant, home furnishings store, and they hate it. Worse, they broke up a week ago and Ava has been avoiding Jules ever since. When an elderly customer goes missing, they’ll have to team up and travel through several dimensions of “murderous clones and carnivorous chairs” to bring her back to their home world.

There are so many things I loved about this

• Prosper's Demon
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Riot Baby
  • On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
  • Docile
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • Wilder Girls
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Malus Domestica (Malus Domestica, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Light Years