Start by marking “The Chill” as Want to Read:
The Chill

The Chill

“Wow! This is one terrific horror/suspense/disaster novel. Characters you root for and a story that grips from the first page.” —Stephen King, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Institute

“Horror has a new name and it’s Scott Carson. The Chill is an eerie dive into the murky depths of the supernatural. A story that has you looking back over your shoulder on every
Expected publication: February 11th 2020 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books

To ask other readers questions about The Chill, please sign up.
Dan Donlin That's funny, as I thought the same thing! I enjoyed The Fisherman, but less than I anticipated. Hopefully The Chill will be a good read.…moreThat's funny, as I thought the same thing! I enjoyed The Fisherman, but less than I anticipated. Hopefully The Chill will be a good read. (less)
Jennifer I’m thinking yes because Michael Koryta has this book listed on a Facebook post, why use a pseudonym only to reveal it way before the book is…moreI’m thinking yes because Michael Koryta has this book listed on a Facebook post, why use a pseudonym only to reveal it way before the book is released? (less)

Start your review of The Chill
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
3.25 STARS

With The Chill, we have Michael Koryta writing under the pseudonym Scott Carson, and he seems to be returning to his original style of supernatural thriller, something he does extremely well. From the prologue here I was hooked, and it's no surprise that the author is able to spin a web of lies and deceit, but with a paranormal flair. I'm not sure what will be included in the finished copy, but I found the information surrounding the research that the author did into past events that
Laura Rash
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! Sometimes books that are hyped just don’t live up to my expectations but this one did! It’s terrifically written and laid out so the story just builds like a freight train heading down the tracks. Descriptive to the point you feel it down to your bones!
Thanks to the publisher for this early copy for review:)
Dennis
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Dennis by: Chelsea Humphrey
The Chill is a well written, spooky, town mystery novel. I really enjoyed the author's writing style and the dynamics behind each of the characters. My only issue is that this book is seriously too long, and at points I felt bored because of it's pacing. If you enjoy slower-paced atmospheric settings, this book would be more enjoyable. My attention span is too short for that. I do think folks that enjoy Stephen King will be able to appreciate this book more than me.
OutlawPoet
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it

I had to think a bit before writing this review.

I liked the book. I found the author’s world so incredibly vivid and his characters so wonderfully compelling that there were times I didn’t want to stop reading.

But…there were times I did.

The author gives us so much information about dams and water and, while it’s all fascinating, it also tends to take a rather informational tone – almost a lecture – and you lose the story once in a while. In fact, I put it down for a full five days and read
Susan
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Water Works

I’ve had this on my ‘To Read’ list for months so I was elated upon notification that I’d won a copy. Yay!

I missed the description blurb stating this had a supernatural element which isn't my go-to genre. Had I been paying attention, I sill would have purchased it based on the eerie premise. It caught my attention instantly.

The star of this show is the water. It’s everywhere. A lake backed up by an aging dam, drenching non-stop rain, and misplaced running water-imagined or real? Drip…
Jeri
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, netgalley
This book kept me up way too late most nights until my eyes just had to shut me down for the night. If you love supernatural haunting stories you'll love this book. Especially with spring rains and flooding soon, this story will make you think twice. The story is fast paced but builds character and tension perfectly to lead up to the haunting end.

I was given an eARC by the publisher through NetGalley.
amanda
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5

I am all for tales of ancient evil. Sacrifices made to drowned gods, curses screeched at lesser demons.

I’ve heard my share of flooded towns. Man made lakes built OVER towns as reservoirs of water. Buildings, communities, people becoming watery graveyards. Haunts.

The most infamous one I know of is Lake Lanier that makes news every single time because of its infamy. Nobody comes out of its waters alive, it’s foolish to even deep a toe in it.

I have to say that this was quite disappointing. The
Julia
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Get ready to swim upstream, and dive into one spine tingling supernatural thriller that will keep you turning page after page.

In the fall of 1940, Torrance Counties oldest village, Galesburg was evacuated and flooded in order to build a reservoir; which was supposed to supply NYC with water. That no connecting tunnel was ever finished, both angered and enraged the former townsfolk. Up until now, the Chilewaukee Reservoir, or "the Chill" has had no use, other than flooding an entire village with
 Reading Divergence
THE CHILL (written under a nom de plume) is one extraordinary novel: Supernatural thriller, family dysfunction, average small-town in contrast with highly dysfunctional cultish village. No need for suspension of Disbelief: I leaped immediately into the story on Page 1, and I devoured every bit of it without a pause. The story is so "real" I seemed to be living it, not reading it.

The "Chill" is an Upstate New York dam and reservoir, initially intended to provide water supply to New York City, but
NhaughtyV says Damn the Zon Save the Reviews
There is something lurking in the dark waters of the Chilewaukee reservoir better known by the locals as The Chill…something that demands payment in the form of a sacrifice…something that is rising to collect on past dues…

To be honest, the only reason I requested a copy of this book was Stephen King had pimped it out on his social media. I’m sure there is an audience for this book, but I’m sad to say, as much as I love a good supernatural story, this one fell a little flat for me. While there
Becky Spratford
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Review in Library Journal January 2020 issue: https://www.libraryjournal.com/?detai...
E Tanner
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Water is important for all civilizations to survive. What would happen to people who live and/or work in a large city, if something major happens to their source of water?

The Chill is written by Scott Carson (a pen name), and he developed a fast paced novel to prevent a disastrous event, in a race against time. Little does some of the characters know, is that this plan has been in the making for a century!

Carson’s presentation and detail of the main characters was strong and brought them
Kate
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I had a tough time deciding between 3 and 4 stars for this one. What pushed me over to 3 stars was the fact that I had to stop reading with only about 30 pages to go in order to get dinner going, and didn't fall over myself to get back to it. That was my feeling pretty much the whole way through - I liked the characters and the story was pretty good, but it lacked any intensity until the last quarter and by then, I could take it or leave it.

This thriller is about an as yet untapped reservoir for
Antigone Walsh
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
An ancient evil fueled by simmering anger and hatred threatens a city. this book begs the question at what cost, the greater good. For the people of NYC getting plenty of fresh clean water was a priority. to do so a complex system of dams and tunnels were constructed. The cost? a displaced populace and towns, homes, businesses and farms that survived for generations destroyed by the courts at the behest of an unfeeling, unthinking authority. Though towns may have disappeared and people died, the ...more
Evelyn
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, horror
There’s a dark secret lying in wait deep in the cold waters of the Chilewaukee reservoir. Early in the 20th century, a small town in upstate New York was evacuated and destroyed when the river was damed to create a reservoir for the rapidly expanding population of NYC. At least that’s what politicians said. But in reality it was a reservoir in reserve—never actually used. Now, more than a hundred years later the dam is in disrepair and the rain isn’t stopping. The townspeople vowed revenge. Will ...more
 Martin
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed it immensely. Such a creepy read, I'm telling you. Characterization, plot, narrative: very rich. About the plot, it's all about mistakes from the past and retribution, supernatural style. Nothing we have not seen before but done with tremendous talent and style. We are dealing with some flawed people in this but Carson, always the keen writer (he is best-selling author Michael Koryta after all), tags on to his narrative a likability from the least likable character, and that's never a ...more
Michelle
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, horror
Pub date: Feb 2020
I haven't read horror in a while, and this supernatural thriller hit the spot! There's something off about the history of the town of Galesburg and The Chill, the reservoir that doomed it. Engrossing and fast-paced, I got sucked into the characters lives in the Catskills and their hauntings. Both Gillian and Aaron's families have history there and they all have to race to figure out how to prevent another tragedy from coming by uncovering that history. (view spoiler)
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
“Wow!” is all I can say. The Chill was written with such a vivid atmosphere and compelling characters I couldn't put the book down. This was such an enjoyable book to read. It was spooky and chilling in all the right ways.

I do have to agree with some of the other reviewers, this book did seem a little too long. The middle of the book just seemed to drag on and on. However, I felt like all the details were necessary for the plot to wholly understood by the reader. I'm not sure the average Joe
Amy
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC
Pub February 11, 2020

This book is definitely a different kind of ghost story. A lot of history involved, about the land and the families name, to let you know why everything needs to happen. It was well written in a way that you don't need action, "activity" to have things in motion.
I had to put the book down couple of time because the author added a lot of information about dams, water tunnels and how they work, it is a VERY important aspect of the book. You'll
Pattyh
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The Chill by Scott Carson takes the reader to the past and then to the present day. In upstate New York a village has disappeared or submerged by water. History has been ingrained into the residents and they hunger for revenge for the sins of the past and some will stop at nothing to get back what was lost a long time ago.
Lots of information about building dams and tunnels, etc. The author knows his stuff in this regard - I got lost and didn't finish.
Some readers might like this, but for me not
Jessica Fleming
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I loved how I fell right into the flow of this book. With every page I was in anticipation of what would happen next. Then it finally happens and I couldn't hide my excitement. What next!!! When I reached the last few pages my excitement started to fade. The ending was a huge disappointment for me. Maybe it ended the way it did to leave it open to a sequel? Not sure but still I enjoyed the book.
Clint Calisbury
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love this author but this book is hard to review. I thought the story was very exciting. My problem is that the characters left me cold. I think that the character development is lacking and i didn't like any of them very much. The book is long, about 450 pages, and full of dread and ominous portents but just didn't come together for me. I'm afraid this one is a swing and miss for me.
Christine Cheripka
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Chill was a thrilling story of what might happen mixed with a supernatural twist....we are all one dam break away from a tragedy, or one ghost away .. the story was hard to put down, exactly the kind I like.
Carol Wheeler
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Goodreads win.
I thought this was a great book, I enjoyed the story.
My only negative opinion is I didn’t care for how the author went into so much detail. At times it was slightly boring.
But it came together and ended well.
Laura Medicus
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I Really enjoyed this! Will be checking that I’m not in the path of any dams....
Erika  *and her little dog too*
Well, this sounds sufficiently creepy. Sign me up!
☕Brenda☕
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is definitely different.
Honestly that's the kindest thing I can say about it.
It was a bit mystery, a bit ghost story, and a bit historical fiction.
Shane Belcher
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Review to come
Lynn Stone
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it

Not as scary as I thought it might be, but still enjoyable. I admire the way the author was able to blend real events and fictitious events in order to craft an engaging ghost story.
Kathy
Dec 21, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks for making me a lucky winner of this book through the First Reads program, and I look forward to reading and reviewing!

• Little Secrets
  • Cold Storage
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • American Dirt
  • Gate Crashers
  • After the End of the World (Carter & Lovecraft, #2)
  • I Will Make You Pay
Scott Carson is the pen name for a New York Times bestselling author and screenwriter. He lives in New England—just above a dam.