Start by marking “We Are the Wildcats” as Want to Read:
We Are the Wildcats

We Are the Wildcats

A toxic coach finds himself outplayed by the high school girls on his team in this deeply suspenseful novel, which unspools over twenty-four hours through six diverse perspectives.

Tomorrow, the Wildcat varsity field hockey squad will play the first game of their new season. But at tonight’s team sleepover, the girls are all about forging the bonds of trust, loyalty, and
Expected publication: March 31st 2020 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about We Are the Wildcats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are the Wildcats

Start your review of We Are the Wildcats
nova ryder ☼
Sep 18, 2019 marked it as not-yet-published  ·  review of another edition
no gonna lie, i immediately thought of high school musical
Samantha Londer
Nov 15, 2019 marked it as thats-a-no-from-me-dawg  ·  review of another edition
saying "fuck that fucking bitch" in response to a college student choosing a book about our corrupt criminal justice system written by a black author instead of your white friend's ya contemporary for their common reads program is a big yikes from me!!
Regsly
Nov 19, 2019 marked it as id-prefer-not-to  ·  review of another edition
Note to self on the attitudes I didn't like during the whole #SarahDessen drama.

There's so many books to support, I'm leaving this here to remind myself of priorities in case someone suggests I buy one of Siobhan's books. I'm not cancelling anyone, I didn't even know this person. I'm also sure this here won't make her sales drop. But since I'm a reader and I review books, I take into account that the victim could've been anyone of us, just for having other reading priorities for a college
Riley
Dec 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
this gets the big ole NOPE from me.

this novel follows 6 girls on the wildcats varsity field hockey team as they embark on a mission the night before their first scrimmage of the season. most of the book explores the back stories of these girls and how they got to where they are in the present, but aside from that, there's not much plot.

while some of the characters were marginally enjoyable, the book dragged to no end... and it only took place over one day/night. but this book focussed heavily on
Katie Pierce
Dec 10, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
How's this author supposed to write a feminist book when this is how she talks about young women?

Fuck that fucking bitch.

This is extremely gross behavior.
Karma♥Bites ^.~
Fuck [this] fucking [book]
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
I have always enjoyed Siobhan Vivian’s writing. While this book sounds like it is going to have some fun and excitement, there is no doubt that there will be a deep message within the pages. I can’t wait to find out more!
Tiffany Heitz
3.75 stars.
ARC from the TTBF.
Easy read. 6 POVs of girls on a field hockey team. I enjoyed the team part of. The drama that unfolded helped too.
Heather
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The power of this book lies in two separate spheres. The first is in the girls themselves -- how in the oftentimes brutal arena of high school, they choose to lift each other up, to support one another, even (especially!) the younger girls who are new to the Wildcats team. Their kindness is instinctual, their loyalty is resolute. It made my heart swell, as this is all I want for teenage girls everywhere all of the time.

The second is in the way Siobhan Vivian reveals the slow burn of
Anna Bright
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, ya
currently resenting all my responsibilities for keeping me from this book.
Amy (novelteahappyme)
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“This is why the field hockey girls would live on this field forever if they could. This blessed rectangle where their worth is wholly quantifiable, statistical, analytic black and white. How incredibly freeing it is to live a few hours each day where they don’t worry about being beautiful or sweet or modest or smart or funny or feminine. The only thing required of them here is to be their absolute best.”

I absolutely loved this book! In “We Are The Wildcats” by Siobhan Vivian, a toxic coach
Amy (novelteahappyme)

I really enjoyed this book. In “We Are The Wildcats” by Siobhan Vivian, a toxic coach finds
caitlin
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review copy courtesy of Edelweiss.

Siobhan Vivian is back with another compelling, highly readable, and deeply thought provoking young adult novel. Sort of a spiritual sequel to “The List,” “We are the Wildcats” tells the story of a high school field hockey team’s day before their first game of the new season after last year’s devastating season loss. Each chapter is through a different viewpoint of a teammate, and typically with books like this you know about every character as they revolve but
Heather H.
Six voices. One night in which everything changes. In We Are the Wildcats, Siobhan Vivian manages to deftly weave together a tale of friendship and teamwork, and what happens when the limits of those values are tested after the Wildcats suffer a devastating championship loss in the previous season. From the green freshman to the seasoned seniors of the team, you'll be rooting for all the characters from beginning to end as they conquer strife from not only the vicious outside world of high ...more
dearlittledeer
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Another homerun for Siobhan Vivian! Or whatever you call scoring in field hockey. Love how this is a book about athletes but you don't have to know or care about sports to love the story and characters. Bonus if you are into those things though!
Janet
Review book so no comments.
Kat
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story of female friendship and empowerment. It’s nice to see book about young women who support each other no matter the personal cost. Also a great lesson on gaslighting.
Meg Eden
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit too slow of a build-up imho but love the subtlty toward the build-up and the ideas behind this story
Maren Lundgren
Chelsea Bashore
Nov 29, 2019

• Slay
  • The Mall
  • Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1)
  • When We Were Magic
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • The Rest of the Story
  • Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
  • Rival Magic
  • What I Like About You
  • Not the Girl You Marry
  • Me
  • Girl, Unframed
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Parachutes
  • We Used To Be Friends
  • Meg and Jo
  • Reputation
  • The Grace Year
Siobhan Vivian is the author of THE LAST BOY AND GIRL IN THE WORLD (April 2016), as well as THE LIST, NOT THAT KIND OF GIRL, SAME DIFFERENCE, and A LITTLE FRIENDLY ADVICE. She also co-wrote BURN FOR BURN series with her best friend JENNY HAN. She currently lives in Pittsburgh.