Start by marking “These Ghosts are Family” as Want to Read:
These Ghosts are Family

These Ghosts are Family

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  47 ratings  ·  20 reviews
One of Electric Literature’s most Anticipated Debuts of 2020

A transporting debut novel that reveals the ways in which a Jamaican family forms and fractures over generations, in the tradition of Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi.

Stanford Solomon has a shocking, thirty-year-old secret. And it’s about to change the lives of everyone around him. Stanford Solomon is actually Abel
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about These Ghosts are Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Ghosts are Family

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of These Ghosts are Family
Amber
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
copy courtesy of edelweiss. Wow. Just, wow. This book was such an incredible dive into all of the twists and turns that formed this family throughout the generations. I was reading it like my life depended on it. Card transported me to a time and place I don’t think I’d ever have experienced otherwise. I’m hoping that the longer I sit and think about this book, I’ll come up with a more coherent review. But I’m not above shoving it at people with jazz hands and a “READ IT NOW!” for good measure.
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
What a debut novel!

After sitting with this book for about a week I have come to the conclusion that this is my favorite novel of 2020 thus far. This is one of those novels that when you finished it, you have to take a moment to process the experience you've just had. This book was such an incredible plunge into all of the twists and turns that formed this family throughout the generations.

Stanford Solomon is actually Abel Paisley, a man who faked his death and went to America to start over. The
Carolyn
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc
**I received a courtesy copy via Edelweiss**

I think 80% of this book was excellent- truly wonderful writing, lovely character development, internal dialogue and cultural specificity. There was a chapter toward the end that I found to be a bit tedious and I generally wanted more from each section, for the characters and the interconnected narrative to be even further fleshed out. Still, I would certainly recommend this book when it becomes available for purchase.
Anissa Austin
Jan 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchanged for my honest review.

I was eager to read this book as it is a most anticipated book of 2020.

This is a do not finish book for me. The first part of the book is not written in first or third person. It is in a style such as introductions and events are introduced " Say you this and say you that". With this style, it is hard to understand and become connected to the book. The introduction of a book is everything and I think the author should have
Carla
Jan 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dnf
"These Ghosts Are Family" was one of my most anticipated releases of 2020. I could not wait to start it. However, I was disappointed. The speculative writing style in this book was just not for me. It was very hard to get into/ connect with anything going on, and sadly, I could not finish. Because of this, I will not be giving this book a rating at this time.

* I received an advance digital copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review*
sylvie
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review coming later, however I want to say " What a wonderful book, beautifuly written, researched, just amazing " Read, yes read !
canned yellow peach
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to canned yellow peach by: http://www.maisycard.com/
literariness not enough
Chris
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I wanted to say to my friend, as I will end by saying to you now, that I have no wish to look upon a world that will not let you people sink down, and stay down, like the rest of us." - Louise Marie Paisley

These Ghosts are Family is one of those books that kinda kicks you in the gut while you're reading it. Then after you're finished you have to take a moment to process the experience you've just had. This is a multi-generational saga told from multi-character perspectives while crossing
Kat (Why Read)
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bookish Thoughts

*Pre-Order your copy today [Expected Release: 3/3/20]

Short but powerful. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. This was rich in Jamaican speculative historical fiction. This novel tells the story of a Jamaican man who faked his death, and came to America to start anew. The plot goes from his story to the roots of his family tree and back again. Mostly all of the supporting characters each had a story to tell within this collection of short stories in different times
Freddie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I got ahold of an advanced copy, and although the premises seems interesting, it really died for me when it comes to the dialogue.

Accents are great, but the overuse of them makes it hard to understand what characters are saying. Luckily, dialogue is such a small part of the book I can glance over it and still understand the basis of what is happening and what is being said.

When it comes to the story description, characters, and their own feelings, Maisy Cord is a pro with her writing. If she
Jacob
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to receive an advanced copy. I don't usually read fiction but These Ghosts are Family was wonderful and I couldn't put it down. The narrative is rich with complex character and plot development. The chapters focusing on Bernard, Irene, and Vincent were particularly heartbreaking at times. The book made me stop and reflect on my own family dynamics and how different events have shaped my relatives in unique ways. It ends with a haunting bit of Jamaican folklore that was ...more
Amanda
Jan 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
I received a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Although I like the concept, I found the dialect in this book nearly impossible to read and it was distracting to a point where I couldn't finish it. The emotion behind it was beautiful and I may eventually try to revisit it someday, but I would recommend not tackling this unless you're feeling up to a challenge.
Nancy Mijangos
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it

This novel covers the legitimate and illegitimate offspring of a skaving family in Jamaica. The cruelty of slavery is interspersed with the beauty of the Jamaican culture and the ability of the slaves and their descendants to thrive in spite of their circumstances.
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
A novel about a Jamaican man working in England faking his death and the subsequent consequences for his family. These Ghosts are Family starts out strong, but unravels into loosely related stories.
Joyce
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting characters as the novel traces a family from generation to generation. Compelling descriptions. Encourages the reader to jump in and really think about the situations these characters faced. Difficult to connect the final chapter, but overall an interesting read.
Don
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Releases in March 2020, I read an advanced reader copy. Multigenerational story from Jamaica to Queens. Starts with a family secret/intrigue and goes from there. I struggled a bit with the phonetically written dialog.
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book courtney of Edelweiss. I am so glad that I did. I loved the book from beginning to end. The story touched my heart and reminded me that apologies, regrets, triumphs , tragedies and forgiveness are a part of all of our lives.
Jackie
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this in a goodreads giveaway. It’s a good book, well written and engaging!
What's Emmy Reading?
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to come closer to the book release.
Beth Vredenburg

Dec 16, 2019
Kara McGrath
Jan 07, 2020

• Such a Fun Age
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Cari Mora
  • The Truants
  • The Revisioners
  • Nothing to See Here
Maisy Card is writer and a public librarian. Her writing has been nominated for a pushcart prize and has appeared in Lenny Letter, School Library Journal, Agni, Sycamore Review, Liars’ League NYC, and Ampersand Review. Maisy was born in St. Catherine, Jamaica, but was raised in Queens, New York. Maisy earned her MFA from Brooklyn College, her MLIS from Rutgers University and a BA in English and ...more